Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,059

Re: Welcome JJ Redick. One year 23 million 

Post#181 » by sixers hoops » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:42 pm

Unbreakable99 wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:
Unbreakable99 wrote:
Who wrote the article? Where's the link?

I wouldn't have finished the article. This writer is not well informed.

Of course we could have got him cheaper if we offered a two year deal. They are clearly conserving cap space for next summer. We didn't want him on a two year deal.

Sixers are unlikely to making the playoffs? Vegas disagrees. Maybe the writer should have done a little more research.

I see why he thought the signing was bad. He has no clue regarding the sixers current strategy.

Yeah. That writer doesn't seem to know what he's talking about.

Seems like a casual fan who scanned a free-agent signing list and thought "WOW!!!!! JJ Redick 23 million. I'll put that in my article!!!" However, context is important when criticizing a team's decision making. Maybe do a little research and find where Zach Lowe reported that they are doing one year deals to preserve cap space for next summer. Notice their other signing was also a bloated one year deal, and determine that Lowe's report seems accurate.
eagereyez
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,462

Post#182 » by eagereyez » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:03 pm

So which poster on our board wrote that article?
LongLiveHinkie
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#183 » by LongLiveHinkie » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:05 pm

This just in: people are dumb.

Many many people.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#184 » by Sixerscan » Wed Oct 4, 2017 3:11 am

So how about this JJ Redick?
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#185 » by Ericb5 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:48 pm

I love having Redick on this team and I’m still not used to it. He is a truly elite shooter, and I love how quickly he releases it off the dribble too.

We have never had a player like him before. I mean Korver was a great shooter, but JJ can create his own shots better than Korver could.

Covington, JJ, and Fultz will all create so much space for Simmons to drive and for Embiid to operate down low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
agiaco
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#186 » by agiaco » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:44 pm

I said it not long after the signing, but I know we'll want him back for more than just one year. Perfect complement to our young team.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#187 » by Sixerscan » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:40 am

He's literally the best shooter we have ever had. Korver is the only one that's close, but JJ is clearly better than him.

He missed 2 threes all of preseason. Ridiculous.
mithrandir17
Veteran
And1: 1,609

Post#188 » by mithrandir17 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:32 pm

Is it possible that Reddick will be the leading scorer on our team? or even the second leading scorer behind embiid?
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,593

Re: RE: Re: Welcome JJ Redick. One year 23 million 

Post#189 » by sixerswillrule » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:36 am

mithrandir17 wrote:Is it possible that Reddick will be the leading scorer on our team? or even the second leading scorer behind embiid?

I could see him at around 15 ppg edging out Simmons for #2. But Embiid will of course be the ppg leader.
cksdayoff
RealGM
And1: 3,636

Post#190 » by cksdayoff » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:00 am

Sixerscan wrote:He's literally the best shooter we have ever had. Korver is the only one that's close, but JJ is clearly better than him.

He missed 2 threes all of preseason. Ridiculous.

i've always wanted a mini peja on the sixers
#failforfultz
jsa
Junior
And1: 70

Post#191 » by jsa » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:29 pm

Slacker Reddick shot under 90% on his preseason 3 pointers. Maybe he had a bad pass or two.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#192 » by sixers hoops » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:39 am

agiaco wrote:I said it not long after the signing, but I know we'll want him back for more than just one year. Perfect complement to our young team.

Redick is pretty much filling the role I expected.

Extremely smart decision hitching his wagon to Embiid and Simmons.

And if we do land a max free-agent this summer, I hope that 23 million this year puts him in a position to stay with us on the cheap.

He clearly signed with us because he liked our young talent. Financially, he could have secured a more lucrative long-term deal.

If we land an all-nba type guy and have to waive his bird rights, I see Redick staying either way. He wants to ride the Embiid and Simmons train to a championship.
marcush
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,151

Post#193 » by marcush » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:50 am

Id obviously prefer JJ & Amir's cap space be spent on a true max player but assuming we do not attract these guys yet, perfectly happy with JJ again on a big money, one year deal. Just don't want to be in the situation with long term money, even if its 10m, being allocated to a guy in his mid 30's.

If we can keep cap flexible, while helping Simmons & Embiid development, then that's fine with me.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#194 » by sixers hoops » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:57 am

marcush wrote:Id obviously prefer JJ & Amir's cap space be spent on a true max player but assuming we do not attract these guys yet, perfectly happy with JJ again on a big money, one year deal. Just don't want to be in the situation with long term money, even if its 10m, being allocated to a guy in his mid 30's.

If we can keep cap flexible, while helping Simmons & Embiid development, then that's fine with me.

I could see us signing a Lebron or PG, and Redick returning for the minimum. I think he wants to win.

If we signed an Avery Bradley or KCP with his money, I think he would be insulted and leave.

If we renounced him to spend our remaining cap space on a max player, would we be able to offer any sort of exception?
Ericb5
RealGM

Post#195 » by Ericb5 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:30 am

marcush wrote:Id obviously prefer JJ & Amir's cap space be spent on a true max player but assuming we do not attract these guys yet, perfectly happy with JJ again on a big money, one year deal. Just don't want to be in the situation with long term money, even if its 10m, being allocated to a guy in his mid 30's.

Redick is one of these guys with a skill set that should age well. I too would prefer to spend his money on a max free agent, but I would have no problem paying him what he is worth on a 4 year deal if that is what we end up doing.
It wouldn’t be 23 millions per year, but say 4 years 60 million would be fine with me.

Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#196 » by Sixerscan » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:36 am

sixers hoops wrote:

I could see us signing a Lebron or PG, and Redick returning for the minimum. I think he wants to win.

If we signed an Avery Bradley or KCP with his money, I think he would be insulted and leave.

If we renounced him to spend our remaining cap space on a max player, would we be able to offer any sort of exception?

You can give him the room exception. Which is $4 million.

Which is kind of a discount, but could set up the following:

The lesser form of the Larry Bird exception is the "early Bird" exception. Free agents who qualify for this exception are called "early qualifying veteran free agents", and qualify after playing two seasons with the same team. Players that are traded or claimed off waivers have their Bird rights transferred to their new team. Prior to an arbitrator ruling in June 2012, all players that were waived and changed teams lost their Bird rights. Using this exception, a team can re-sign its own free agent for either 175% of his salary the previous season, or the NBA's average salary, whichever is greater. Early Bird contracts must be for at least two seasons, but can last no longer than four seasons. If a team agrees to a trade that would make a player lose his Early Bird Rights, he has the power to veto the trade.

So you give him that, with the understanding that you give him like a 2-4 year deal starting at the midlevel ($8 million) the following year.

His podcast after he signed indicated that there was some sort of long term plan in place. My guess is that it is something along these lines.
Ericb5
RealGM

Post#197 » by Ericb5 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:44 am

Sixerscan wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:

The lesser form of the Larry Bird exception is the "early Bird" exception. Free agents who qualify for this exception are called "early qualifying veteran free agents", and qualify after playing two seasons with the same team. Players that are traded or claimed off waivers have their Bird rights transferred to their new team. Prior to an arbitrator ruling in June 2012, all players that were waived and changed teams lost their Bird rights. Using this exception, a team can re-sign its own free agent for either 175% of his salary the previous season, or the NBA's average salary, whichever is greater. Early Bird contracts must be for at least two seasons, but can last no longer than four seasons. If a team agrees to a trade that would make a player lose his Early Bird Rights, he has the power to veto the trade.

So you give him that, with the understanding that you give him like a 2-4 year deal starting at the midlevel ($8 million) the following year.

His podcast after he signed indicated that there was some sort of long term plan in place. My guess is that it is something along these lines.

Doesn’t he have a big cap hold though? I thought we would have to renounce him to have max space, in addition to unloading Bayless.

He probably has one good size contract left in him, and I can’t see him signing a one year deal for 4 million when there are bound to be teams that would offer him significantly more than that for more years.

marcush
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,151

Post#198 » by marcush » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:45 am

Ericb5 wrote:

Redick is one of these guys with a skill set that should age well. I too would prefer to spend his money on a max free agent, but I would have no problem paying him what he is worth on a 4 year deal if that is what we end up doing.
It wouldn’t be 23 millions per year, but say 4 years 60 million would be fine with me.

He has aged well, to this point. Not sure how much longer I can envisage him effectively running those routes continuously for though. Hes a stocky dude and its the light and skinny guys who usually see that kind of longevity. Has already had some back issues this year.......nah, 15m at 36 & 37 years old is not how I want our cap spent.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#199 » by Sixerscan » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:54 am

Ericb5 wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:

Doesn’t he have a big cap hold though? I thought we would have to renounce him to have max space, in addition to unloading Bayless.

He probably has one good size contract left in him, and I can’t see him signing a one year deal for 4 million when there are bound to be teams that would offer him significantly more than that for more years.

Yeah I'm just basing it off of what he said in his podcast about there being a plan. He's obviously someone who knows how the league works, that the Sixers wanted to overpay him and Amir for a year to keep next years cap space open. And he still seemed like he was into a long term career here.

$4 million next year would basically be a 2 years $27 million deal, which seems pretty in line with what he should have gotten this summer. And don't forget the family stuff, we give him the best chance to be a contender while only being 90 minutes from his kids.

Clearly if the choice is between him and someone like George good bye JJ. But it seems like there is potential for a long term relationship.
Ericb5
RealGM

Post#200 » by Ericb5 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:54 am

marcush wrote:
Ericb5 wrote:

He has aged well, to this point. Not sure how much longer I can envisage him effectively running those routes continuously for though. Hes a stocky dude and its the light and skinny guys who usually see that kind of longevity. Has already had some back issues this year.......nah, 15m at 36 & 37 years old is not how I want our cap spent.

Even if he is diminished physically by that age he will still be a lights out shooter. He may be down to 20 mpg, but he will still be a contributor at that age. Maybe not a great value at that age, but not an albatross.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers