ImageImageImage

Welcome JJ Redick. One year 23 million

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

long range bomber
Bench Warmer
And1: 52

Re: Welcome JJ Redick. One year 23 million 

Post#141 » by long range bomber » Sun Jul 2, 2017 1:40 pm

mattd13 wrote:i have watched jj since his freshman year at duke and suffered watching him play in Orlando and briefly in mil. howard in Orlando was a ball hog to the max and had rather turn it over than pass. same thing in mil. with awful pg play. it was great in la because cris paul would actually pass. my point is this. he will be great if these young guys will screen and pass and let him work. he is also a solid passer and a good team defender. I just hope they buy in to what he can do. look forward to a great year.

Redick took a while to develop in ORL as they sometimes played him at PG. overall he has developed into a greater shooter and eventually became decent at team defense, passing, etc.
Footballman175
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#142 » by Footballman175 » Sun Jul 2, 2017 2:46 pm

76thBearCub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,726

Post#143 » by 76thBearCub » Sun Jul 2, 2017 3:15 pm

This is so nice. We should have a pretty decent bench this year.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,690

Post#144 » by 76ciology » Sun Jul 2, 2017 3:21 pm

long range bomber wrote:
mattd13 wrote:i have watched jj since his freshman year at duke and suffered watching him play in Orlando and briefly in mil. howard in Orlando was a ball hog to the max and had rather turn it over than pass. same thing in mil. with awful pg play. it was great in la because cris paul would actually pass. my point is this. he will be great if these young guys will screen and pass and let him work. he is also a solid passer and a good team defender. I just hope they buy in to what he can do. look forward to a great year.

Redick took a while to develop in ORL as they sometimes played him at PG. overall he has developed into a greater shooter and eventually became decent at team defense, passing, etc.

He had trouble with his technique because of NBA caliber defense. He was trying to throw it to the basket rather than trying to shoot it. He did well in his last year when they tried him at PG. Nevertheless, I can see that his best years are in his last 3-4 seasons, relative to shooting 3s.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#145 » by Ericb5 » Sun Jul 2, 2017 3:55 pm

When was the last time that we had shooter like Redick? Korver?

I'm not used to having that kind of outside shooter on the Sixers. It's going to be weird. Lol

Covington
Simmons
Embiid
Redick
Fultz

That is a terrific starting lineup.

Saric
TLC
Stauskus
Amir
TJ
Holmes
Bayless

That's a pretty nice bench too.

If Embiid is healthy this year we are going to win 50 games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
long range bomber
Bench Warmer

Post#146 » by long range bomber » Sun Jul 2, 2017 4:19 pm

Ericb5 wrote:When was the last time that we had shooter like Redick? Korver?

I'm not used to having that kind of outside shooter on the Sixers. It's going to be weird. Lol

Covington
Simmons
Embiid
Redick
Fultz

That is a terrific starting lineup.

Saric
TLC
Stauskus
Amir
TJ
Holmes
Bayless

That's a pretty nice bench too.

If Embiid is healthy this year we are going to win 50 games.

Those 7 bench players (not even including Okafor, Anderson, Korkmaz) will be really fighting for minutes and most of them will see their minutes cut in half from last season.
76thBearCub
Lead Assistant

Post#147 » by 76thBearCub » Sun Jul 2, 2017 5:15 pm

long range bomber wrote:Those 7 bench players (not even including Okafor, Anderson, Korkmaz) will be really fighting for minutes and most of them will see their minutes cut in half from last season.

That's good though.
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#148 » by Ericb5 » Sun Jul 2, 2017 5:45 pm

76thBearCub wrote:
long range bomber wrote:Those 7 bench players (not even including Okafor, Anderson, Korkmaz) will be really fighting for minutes and most of them will see their minutes cut in half from last season.

That's good though.

Absolutely. That's the advantage of getting above d league level talent. Only the strong survive.

Stribor
Pro Prospect
And1: 492

Post#149 » by Stribor » Sun Jul 2, 2017 5:57 pm

Yeah I could not disagree more, but ok...
eagereyez
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,462

Post#150 » by eagereyez » Sun Jul 2, 2017 8:42 pm

The offense will be fun to watch.
BoomBap
Bench Warmer
And1: 401

Post#151 » by BoomBap » Sun Jul 2, 2017 8:49 pm

He will make things so much easier. Our offseason rocks
PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Post#152 » by PhilasFinest » Sun Jul 2, 2017 8:51 pm

BoomBap wrote:He will make things so much easier. Our offseason rocks

Yikes. Let's hope it works out better then the last time I heard someone say something "rocks".

(meaning the Kings about Stauskas)
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
long range bomber
Bench Warmer

Post#153 » by long range bomber » Sun Jul 2, 2017 9:23 pm

Ericb5 wrote:
76thBearCub wrote:

That's good though.

Absolutely. That's the advantage of getting above d league level talent. Only the strong survive.

I understand though it I would prefer to maximise the value of our players and sell at their highest value rather than have them as surplus 3rd stringers.

Example could be McConnell going from 26mpg 7ppg 7apg last season to probably mostly DNPs as a third stringer this season.

Even Stauskas averaged 27mpg and 10ppg. His value is probably at its highest now rather than a third stringer this season.

I'd prefer to have more future picks/assets opposed to over qualified 3rd stringers losing value on the bench. The process of asset management never stops regardless of us looking to compete this season.
76thBearCub
Lead Assistant

Post#154 » by 76thBearCub » Sun Jul 2, 2017 9:36 pm

long range bomber wrote:
Ericb5 wrote:
76thBearCub wrote:
That's good though.

I understand though it I would prefer to maximise the value of our players and sell at their highest value rather than have them as surplus 3rd stringers.

Example could be McConnell going from 26mpg 7ppg 7apg last season to probably mostly DNPs as a third stringer this season.

Even Stauskas averaged 27mpg and 10ppg. His value is probably at its highest now rather than a third stringer this season.

I'd prefer to have more future picks/assets opposed to over qualified 3rd stringers losing value on the bench. The process of asset management never stops regardless of us looking to compete this season.

That's being a perfectionist though. It will never work out that way. I struggle with admitting that to myself in real life a lot.
cksdayoff
RealGM
And1: 3,636

Post#155 » by cksdayoff » Sun Jul 2, 2017 9:38 pm

i wish the season started tomorrow. this guy's gonna get so many open looks at the basket, it's not even funny. he could very well have a career year with the sixers
#failforfultz
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,064

Post#156 » by Sixerscan » Sun Jul 2, 2017 9:42 pm

long range bomber wrote:
Ericb5 wrote:
76thBearCub wrote:
That's good though.

With this team's injury history I am perfectly fine with prioritizing having relatively reliable 3rd stringers over stringing out every asset you can get. We have enough future 2nds anyway.
long range bomber
Bench Warmer

Post#157 » by long range bomber » Sun Jul 2, 2017 9:55 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
long range bomber wrote:
Ericb5 wrote:

With this team's injury history I am perfectly fine with prioritizing having relatively reliable 3rd stringers over stringing out every asset you can get. We have enough future 2nds anyway.

I was hoping for probably late protected 1sts similar to what we got for Jerami Grant last year. TJ and Sauce probably have more value than Jerami...
Chris76
Sixth Man
And1: 318

Post#158 » by Chris76 » Sun Jul 2, 2017 9:58 pm

eagereyez wrote:

The offense will be fun to watch.

Redick is exhausting to watch, constant movement. Redick, Paul, and Griffin played well together, Griffin sets good screens and excellent rolling to the rim. The Clippers had a weak bench and unfortunate injuries or they could have done better. Anyway, Simmons reminds of a mix between Paul and Griffin, talent wise, he is going to like having Redick and vise-a-versa.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,064

Post#159 » by Sixerscan » Sun Jul 2, 2017 10:05 pm

long range bomber wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
long range bomber wrote:I understand though it I would prefer to maximise the value of our players and sell at their highest value rather than have them as surplus 3rd stringers.

I was hoping for probably late protected 1sts similar to what we got for Jerami Grant last year. TJ and Sauce probably have more value than Jerami...

That trade was the result of the thunder really liking grant and they not having any athletic forwards after durant left. I'm not sure if you would find a similar situation with tj or stauskas, especially stauskas as he is a free agent to be.
GabeCerebro
Sophomore
And1: 58

Post#160 » by GabeCerebro » Sun Jul 2, 2017 10:06 pm

sixers hoops wrote:
GabeCerebro wrote:
Embiid P wrote:Not a bad signing. $23 million is a little much but for only one year, I'll take it.

How is it too much?..

It's an overpay, but that's what you have to do to entice players to pass on longer term offers.

I'm a little surprised that some people are struggling to grasp the concept that we overpaid short-term to maintain long-term salary cap flexibility.

I just don't understand how people are saying it's an overpay at all, when we have way more cap space than we can even spend. Redick was a great fit. This is no different than the approach last off season with our offers to Ginobli and Crawford.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers