Re: Sixers sign Redick. One year 23 million 

Post#161 » by GabeCerebro » Sun Jul 2, 2017 10:07 pm

sixers78 wrote:
GabeCerebro wrote:
cksdayoff wrote:
when was the last time korver put on a sixers uni

Kapono after Korver, even

Kapono?! Absolutely not lol

lol Kapono was signed as such though. Sadly he forgot how to shoot as soon as we signed him.
XtremeDunkz
General Manager
And1: 6,822

Re: RE: Re: Sixers sign Redick. One year 23 million 

Post#162 » by XtremeDunkz » Sun Jul 2, 2017 10:15 pm

GabeCerebro wrote:
sixers78 wrote:
GabeCerebro wrote:

lol Kapono was signed as such though. Sadly he forgot how to shoot as soon as we signed him.

Didn't we trade Reggie Evans for Kapono? We lost that deal.
10/27/16
Nemesis21 wrote:It is absolutely hilarious hearing people still say Embiid has superstar potential.The guy is one injury away from being Greg Oden.:lol: Except Oden manged to play over 100 games in the NBA, I don't think Embiid will play more.
GabeCerebro
Sophomore
And1: 58

Post#163 » by GabeCerebro » Sun Jul 2, 2017 10:21 pm

XtremeDunkz wrote:
GabeCerebro wrote:
sixers78 wrote:

Yup but I believe Kapono had shot like 50% from 3 a year or two before we traded for him. I would've done the deal too tbh
XtremeDunkz
General Manager
And1: 6,822

Post#164 » by XtremeDunkz » Sun Jul 2, 2017 10:28 pm

GabeCerebro wrote:
XtremeDunkz wrote:
GabeCerebro wrote:

Yup but I believe Kapono had shot like 50% from 3 a year or two before we traded for him. I would've done the deal too tbh

Yeah I remember liking the deal at the time, but Evans had a much longer and more productive career than Kapono after that lol.
10/27/16
Nemesis21 wrote:It is absolutely hilarious hearing people still say Embiid has superstar potential.The guy is one injury away from being Greg Oden.:lol: Except Oden manged to play over 100 games in the NBA, I don't think Embiid will play more.
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,593

Re: Sixers sign Redick. One year 23 million 

Post#165 » by sixerswillrule » Sun Jul 2, 2017 10:38 pm

GabeCerebro wrote:
sixers78 wrote:
GabeCerebro wrote:

The splash family:

Canaan
Meeks
Hollis
Ilyasova
Hawes
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,059

Re: Welcome JJ Redick. One year 23 million 

Post#166 » by sixers hoops » Sun Jul 2, 2017 11:26 pm

GabeCerebro wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:
GabeCerebro wrote:
How is it too much?..

It's an overpay, but that's what you have to do to entice players to pass on longer term offers.

I'm a little surprised that some people are struggling to grasp the concept that we overpaid short-term to maintain long-term salary cap flexibility.

I just don't understand how people are saying it's an overpay at all, when we have way more cap space than we can even spend. Redick was a great fit. This is no different than the approach last off season with our offers to Ginobli and Crawford.

Well players of his caliber get about 15 million per, we gave him an overpay so he would be willing to take a one year deal. I think he got about 150% of his market value.
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#167 » by Ericb5 » Sun Jul 2, 2017 11:51 pm

long range bomber wrote:
Ericb5 wrote:
76thBearCub wrote:
That's good though.

Absolutely. That's the advantage of getting above d league level talent. Only the strong survive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand though it I would prefer to maximise the value of our players and sell at their highest value rather than have them as surplus 3rd stringers.

Example could be McConnell going from 26mpg 7ppg 7apg last season to probably mostly DNPs as a third stringer this season.

Even Stauskas averaged 27mpg and 10ppg. His value is probably at its highest now rather than a third stringer this season.

I'd prefer to have more future picks/assets opposed to over qualified 3rd stringers losing value on the bench. The process of asset management never stops regardless of us looking to compete this season.

During the tank, and the asset acquisition years, we needed to maximize the value of all of our assets. We are beyond that now though.

So getting any real value from the bottom third of the roster in terms of trades, is basically irrelevant. If stauskus playing 10 mpg kills his trade value then so be it. Stuaskus is probably in his last season with us.

With TJ we always knew that he was playing a larger role with us than he would play on any other team in the league, and he was on borrowed time. He was basically a replacement level player up until this last year where I think he finally established himself as an NBA player. He is a nice guy to keep around, but he is at best a 3rd or 4th guard, and playing 15-20 minutes is probably the most that he should ever hope for.

For the first time in years, earning minutes on our team will be very competitive, and some of these guys aren't going to make it.

We have the best young core in the league, and a relatively deep roster from top to bottom now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Chris76
Sixth Man
And1: 318

Post#168 » by Chris76 » Mon Jul 3, 2017 1:55 pm

Ericb5 wrote:
long range bomber wrote:
Ericb5 wrote:
Absolutely. That's the advantage of getting above d league level talent. Only the strong survive.

I understand though it I would prefer to maximise the value of our players and sell at their highest value rather than have them as surplus 3rd stringers.

Example could be McConnell going from 26mpg 7ppg 7apg last season to probably mostly DNPs as a third stringer this season.

Even Stauskas averaged 27mpg and 10ppg. His value is probably at its highest now rather than a third stringer this season.

I'd prefer to have more future picks/assets opposed to over qualified 3rd stringers losing value on the bench. The process of asset management never stops regardless of us looking to compete this season.

During the tank, and the asset acquisition years, we needed to maximize the value of all of our assets. We are beyond that now though.

So getting any real value from the bottom third of the roster in terms of trades, is basically irrelevant. If stauskus playing 10 mpg kills his trade value then so be it. Stuaskus is probably in his last season with us.

With TJ we always knew that he was playing a larger role with us than he would play on any other team in the league, and he was on borrowed time. He was basically a replacement level player up until this last year where I think he finally established himself as an NBA player. He is a nice guy to keep around, but he is at best a 3rd or 4th guard, and playing 15-20 minutes is probably the most that he should ever hope for.

For the first time in years, earning minutes on our team will be very competitive, and some of these guys aren't going to make it.

We have the best young core in the league, and a relatively deep roster from top to bottom now.

Good points, the Sixers should have some good competition for minutes. Also, the options that Brett Brown has for different lineups should be interesting. Whether it's a big or fast lineup should help to create some good mismatches to utilize. Anyway, with some of these high priced contracts being given out, I'm sure some will look ridiculous like Mozgov, Deng, and others. The Sixers should be able to capitalize on opportunities when injuries, bad fits, or other reasons surface and teams look to make haste changes. Some of our role players may be moved for higher returns.
long range bomber
Bench Warmer
And1: 52

Post#169 » by long range bomber » Mon Jul 3, 2017 3:31 pm

Ericb5 wrote:
long range bomber wrote:
Ericb5 wrote:

Firstly the "process" is ongoing principals, not a defined life cycle. Maximising assets never stop for the top teams.

SPURS- they are the best at finding value late in the draft with HOFers Parker and Ginobili. Meanwhile plenty of teams sell low valued picks instead of taking a 1 in 1000 shot at the next Parker/Ginobili.

They also Built up the value of George Hill while he was on a cheap rookie contract. Even though he was good, instead of letting him walk or resigning him to a larger contract, they traded him for a mid 1st round pick which they used to select Kawhi.

They use the end of their bench to find production in under valued prospects such as Simmons, Dedmon, Bertans, etc.
Embiid P
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,073

Post#170 » by Embiid P » Mon Jul 3, 2017 4:54 pm

GabeCerebro wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:
GabeCerebro wrote:
How is it too much?..

It's an overpay, but that's what you have to do to entice players to pass on longer term offers.

I'm a little surprised that some people are struggling to grasp the concept that we overpaid short-term to maintain long-term salary cap flexibility.

I just don't understand how people are saying it's an overpay at all, when we have way more cap space than we can even spend. Redick was a great fit. This is no different than the approach last off season with our offers to Ginobli and Crawford.

It was an overpay considering the most I would have offered Reddick would have been in the 15-18 million per range, but since it's only for one year, I'm not going to complain too much. Ditto with Amir Johnson.
Agnostifarian
Veteran
And1: 705

Post#171 » by Agnostifarian » Wed Jul 5, 2017 5:45 pm

I love the JJ signing! Kudos to "Sonny C" who I've railed against for following our Savior, Sam--I was so convinced we'd lose our stockpile of picks on a silly rent-a-vet trade... WHEH!!! Dodged a bullet...

Besides the immediate help JJ will provide to our spacing and offensive efficiency (and win total), we can only hope his playing style rubs off on Sauce, TLC and Korkmaz. All three of these guys will lose playing time due to this signing but I believe all of these players will ultimately be better for having JJ as a team mate and teacher.

I hope JJ gets unleashed at the three point line and shoots 10 per game. I hope he has an all star season and that Klay Thompson takes notice...

HOPE!! And, good health to all.
“This may be one of the best jobs in basketball right now,” Colangelo said at a press conference introducing him as the new GM of the 76ers after Sam Hinkie resigned.
dkj5061
Junior
And1: 177

Post#172 » by dkj5061 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:32 pm

Anybody else see that trash ESPN article listing Redick as one of the 5 worst deals in free agency? The guy came off as knowing little to nothing about the Sixers situation/landscape of the league. Some of the reasons he listed for why it was a top 5 worst signing.

1. We overpaid, and possibly could've gotten him for 2 years at a similar price.

I think this is his most valid criticism, but even this falls flat considering we didn't want to tie up money beyond this season and spending that amount literally didn't matter in regards to our cap for this season (outside of the possible Roco extension).

2. Redick was greatly helped by an elite passer in Chris Paul and elite rolling big men, which he won't have in Philadelphia.

Simmons and Embiid say hi.

3. It was a pointless move, since the Sixers are "unlikely" to make the playoffs next season.

I can't even begin to comprehend this last reason. Has this guy even looked at the Eastern Conference recently?
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,799

Post#173 » by HotelVitale » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:46 pm

sixers hoops wrote:Well players of his caliber get about 15 million per, we gave him an overpay so he would be willing to take a one year deal. I think he got about 150% of his market value.

$15m is about what $8m was two years ago--imagining this is the 2015 offseason, do you really think the best Redick could do is a 2/16 deal in a player's market year in FA?
Unbreakable99
General Manager
And1: 3,993

Post#174 » by Unbreakable99 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:16 pm

dkj5061 wrote:Anybody else see that trash ESPN article listing Redick as one of the 5 worst deals in free agency? The guy came off as knowing little to nothing about the Sixers situation/landscape of the league. Some of the reasons he listed for why it was a top 5 worst signing.

1. We overpaid, and possibly could've gotten him for 2 years at a similar price.

I think this is his most valid criticism, but even this falls flat considering we didn't want to tie up money beyond this season and spending that amount literally didn't matter in regards to our cap for this season (outside of the possible Roco extension).

2. Redick was greatly helped by an elite passer in Chris Paul and elite rolling big men, which he won't have in Philadelphia.

3. It was a pointless move, since the Sixers are "unlikely" to make the playoffs next season.

I can't even begin to comprehend this last reason. Has this guy even looked at the Eastern Conference recently?

Who wrote the article? Where's the link?
dkj5061
Junior
And1: 177

Post#175 » by dkj5061 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:43 pm

Unbreakable99 wrote:
dkj5061 wrote:Anybody else see that trash ESPN article listing Redick as one of the 5 worst deals in free agency? The guy came off as knowing little to nothing about the Sixers situation/landscape of the league. Some of the reasons he listed for why it was a top 5 worst signing.

http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/20143148/nba-worst-free-agent-deals-summer

Jeremias Engelmann wrote it.

I'd post the Redick section, but I'm not sure what the board rules are on posting paywall protected material.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#176 » by BullyKing » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:36 pm

dkj5061 wrote:
Unbreakable99 wrote:

http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/20143148/nba-worst-free-agent-deals-summer

Jeremias Engelmann wrote it.

I'd post the Redick section, but I'm not sure what the board rules are on posting paywall protected material.

The guy apparently doesn't value shooting at all because other than Jeff Green (I mean really, its a minimum contract he's complaining about), he's top 5 worst were Redick, Korver, McLemore, Bogdanovic. Other than Korver, I really liked all of these deals. Really have to a list of worst contracts with a grain of salt when it doesn't include $48 million for 48 year old Pau and the Hardaway Jr. abomination. I mean jeez, lighting $11 million on fire for Amir Johnson's veteranosity (trademark pending) is a worst contract than Redick.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#177 » by sixers hoops » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:39 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:Well players of his caliber get about 15 million per, we gave him an overpay so he would be willing to take a one year deal. I think he got about 150% of his market value.

$15m is about what $8m was two years ago--imagining this is the 2015 offseason, do you really think the best Redick could do is a 2/16 deal in a player's market year in FA?

No need to compare to previous off-seasons and try to make up comparable salaries. Each market is unique, so I will only look at this market and the offers out there. I think the sixers clearly offered what they consider a "ballon" contract of 23 million per. Just look at what starters and fringe starters got in this year's market.

Gallinari' deal averages about 22 mill, George Hill about 19 mill, Patty Mills about 13 mill, Iguodala 16 mill, Ibaka about 22 mill. I don't think Redick is worth 23 mill in comparison to these players, but clearly got a larger salary for accepting a one year deal.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#178 » by sixers hoops » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:44 pm

Unbreakable99 wrote:

I wouldn't have finished the article. This writer is not well informed.

Of course we could have got him cheaper if we offered a two year deal. They are clearly conserving cap space for next summer. We didn't want him on a two year deal.

Sixers are unlikely to making the playoffs? Vegas disagrees. Maybe the writer should have done a little more research.

I see why he thought the signing was bad. He has no clue regarding the sixers current strategy.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#179 » by Sixerscan » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:55 pm

Article is crap.
Unbreakable99
General Manager
And1: 3,993

Post#180 » by Unbreakable99 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:08 pm

sixers hoops wrote:
Unbreakable99 wrote:

I wouldn't have finished the article. This writer is not well informed.

Of course we could have got him cheaper if we offered a two year deal. They are clearly conserving cap space for next summer. We didn't want him on a two year deal.

Sixers are unlikely to making the playoffs? Vegas disagrees. Maybe the writer should have done a little more research.

I see why he thought the signing was bad. He has no clue regarding the sixers current strategy.

Yeah. That writer doesn't seem to know what he's talking about.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers