Welcome Amir Johnson. One year 11 million

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,322

Re: Welcome Amir Johnson. One year 11 million 

Post#101 » by Froob » Mon Jul 3, 2017 12:10 am

Amir is toast but he's a vet. I wouldn't have given him more than vet minimum but I'm guessing BC and Co wanted a big expiring. He outta be a good influence for the kids, smart player but his ankles are totally shot

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#102 » by Froob » Mon Jul 3, 2017 12:11 am

hookshot199 wrote:Puts pressure on the Celtics. Still no front court.

None of us wanted him back lol. Couldn't hurt for you guys to get him as I mentioned above though. Looking forward to see you guys make some noise at last.

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
TTP
Head Coach
And1: 4,398

Post#103 » by TTP » Mon Jul 3, 2017 12:15 am

MR28 wrote:I really wish TJ could shoot even 33% from 3. I'd really like it if he stole minutes from Bayless.

His sample of 3s is small enough and he shoots well enough from mid-range that I think he eventually reaches this threshold.
jonjames is a signature bet welcher.

Appostis wrote:You're friend ..is a idiot.
PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Post#104 » by PhilasFinest » Mon Jul 3, 2017 12:20 am

TTP wrote:
MR28 wrote:I really wish TJ could shoot even 33% from 3. I'd really like it if he stole minutes from Bayless.

His sample of 3s is small enough and he shoots well enough from mid-range that I think he eventually reaches this threshold.

This. Plus he improved pretty highly from the FT line from year 1 till year 2. (63% yr 1- 81% yr 2)
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
TTP
Head Coach
And1: 4,398

Post#105 » by TTP » Mon Jul 3, 2017 12:20 am

Froob wrote:Amir is toast but he's a vet. I wouldn't have given him more than vet minimum but I'm guessing BC and Co wanted a big expiring. He outta be a good influence for the kids, smart player but his ankles are totally shot

You guys were 9.3 points per 100 better with Amir on the court last year and he crushed advanced stats like he has every year. Seems like he still has plenty left to offer. He's been one of the most undervalued bigs in the league for years (probably why the Celtics brought him in in the first place).
jonjames is a signature bet welcher.

Appostis wrote:You're friend ..is a idiot.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,107

Post#106 » by Kobblehead » Mon Jul 3, 2017 12:45 am

I get that he's over 30 and doesn't move as well as he used to, but he still generated the 4th most value above replacement on the entire Celtics roster last year. He's an impactful player and losing him lessens the Boston frontcourt.
hookshot199
Analyst
And1: 723

Post#107 » by hookshot199 » Mon Jul 3, 2017 12:57 am

Froob wrote:

None of us wanted him back lol. Couldn't hurt for you guys to get him as I mentioned above though. Looking forward to see you guys make some noise at last.

Froob, please tell me what you're going to do with your front court. Horford's 31, was trick-or-treat throughout the playoffs. Second, you should have traded the three pick for Noel straight up. Next: Hayward makes no sense with your current roster even if you get him. You should have gone for Griffin or Ibaka. When you signed Horford, you were committing to 'win now'. And you might luck out with the Fultz trade, but that all depends on how good or bad the Lakers are this year. I just don't understanding loading up with small forwards.
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#108 » by Froob » Mon Jul 3, 2017 1:07 am

hookshot199 wrote:
Froob wrote:

Froob, please tell me what you're going to do with your front court. Horford's 31, was trick-or-treat throughout the playoffs. Second, you should have traded the three pick for Noel straight up. Next: Hayward makes no sense with your current roster even if you get him. You should have gone for Griffin or Ibaka. When you signed Horford, you were committing to 'win now'. And you might luck out with the Fultz trade, but that all depends on how good or bad the Lakers are this year. I just don't understanding loading up with small forwards.

Lol the third pick in the draft for Noel who went for a pair of seconds? Doesn't matter what Horford wants, team can do as they please.

Griffin wasn't available and Hayward is the best player on the market. Ibaka would be a great fit but isn't worth what he's getting paid. Front court will be a weak spot but it is what it is. Zizic would have been a top ten pick in this draft but he'll be a rook. Team badly needs another guy aside from IT that can reliably score and Hayward is that guy.

There's also talk that Millsap is either the runner up to Hayward OR if things really went our way Kelly gets sign and traded for Millsap. But...we'd have to hope Kelly wants to play there and they can find a reasonable number. Team isn't realistically contending next year and Hayward will age well so makes sense to me.

RIP The_Hater
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#109 » by Froob » Mon Jul 3, 2017 1:15 am

TTP wrote:
Froob wrote:Amir is toast but he's a vet. I wouldn't have given him more than vet minimum but I'm guessing BC and Co wanted a big expiring. He outta be a good influence for the kids, smart player but his ankles are totally shot

You guys were 9.3 points per 100 better with Amir on the court last year and he crushed advanced stats like he has every year. Seems like he still has plenty left to offer. He's been one of the most undervalued bigs in the league for years (probably why the Celtics brought him in in the first place).

Numbers are hard to believe, ultimately you really can't go wrong on a one year deal. I suppose if you limit his minutes he's pretty decent but, when he's bad he's absolutely brut.

Bill Simmons was talking on his pod the other day how some of these young teams go wrong because they have no vets, Amir and Reddick make good vets. Maybe BC wasn't as bad as Raps nation wrote him out to be. Done a very good job so far.

RIP The_Hater
hookshot199
Analyst
And1: 723

Post#110 » by hookshot199 » Mon Jul 3, 2017 1:37 am

Froob wrote:
hookshot199 wrote:
Froob wrote:None of us wanted him back lol. Couldn't hurt for you guys to get him as I mentioned above though. Looking forward to see you guys make some noise at last.

Lol the third pick in the draft for Noel who went for a pair of seconds? Doesn't matter what Horford wants, team can do as they please.

Griffin wasn't available and Hayward is the best player on the market. Ibaka would be a great fit but isn't worth what he's getting paid. Front court will be a weak spot but it is what it is. Zizic would have been a top ten pick in this draft but he'll be a rook. Team badly needs another guy aside from IT that can reliably score and Hayward is that guy.

There's also talk that Millsap is either the runner up to Hayward OR if things really went our way Kelly gets sign and traded for Millsap. But...we'd have to hope Kelly wants to play there and they can find a reasonable number. Team isn't realistically contending next year and Hayward will age well so makes sense to me.

Sixers fans, at least some of us, think Colangelo f--ked up on the Noel 'non-trade'. He's 23 and going to get his four years/$80 mil. He would have given you a rim protector. Brad Stevens would have been a perfect coach for him.

As it stands, you're going to have Tatum, Jaylen Brown, Crowder and Haywood all playing essentially the same position. Your best two players, IT and Bradley, are coming up for their paydays. Can't trade them for a top-10 pick.

Millsap might work as Plan B. I wouldn't count on Zizic for too much. And you really don't want to pay Kelly four years/$48 mil - or more. At least I wouldn't.
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#111 » by Ericb5 » Mon Jul 3, 2017 1:45 am

cksdayoff wrote:seems like TLC is gonna get shafted in minutes. the guy should get at least 25 minutes per night

I don't think he has earned that yet. We are going to be a good team most likely and he is going to be competing for minutes with Redick who is a better player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#112 » by Sixerscan » Mon Jul 3, 2017 2:04 am

Celtics coming out of this offseason with just jayson Tatum and Paul millsap would be the funniest.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#113 » by Sixerscan » Mon Jul 3, 2017 2:05 am

Ericb5 wrote:
cksdayoff wrote:seems like TLC is gonna get shafted in minutes. the guy should get at least 25 minutes per night

I don't think he has earned that yet. We are going to be a good team most likely and he is going to be competing for minutes with Redick who is a better player.

He'll probably get about that. First wing off the bench.
Chris76
Sixth Man
And1: 318

Post#114 » by Chris76 » Mon Jul 3, 2017 2:31 am

Sixerscan wrote:
Ericb5 wrote:

He'll probably get about that. First wing off the bench.

TLC, Stauskus, and Korkmaz are gonna benefit greatly learning from Redick. Fultz and Redick are such an upgrade from the last few years, the Sixers probably couldn't of had a better offseason. Many people focused on the Sixer's record and didn't notice the good progress some of the role players have made and the potential they now have with a good bench. Anyway, it's exciting to see which role players perform well and earn extra minutes.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,562

Post#115 » by 76ciology » Mon Jul 3, 2017 4:08 am

Would have preferred Mclemore's 2 year 11 Mil deal than this.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
PhilasFinest
RealGM

Post#116 » by PhilasFinest » Mon Jul 3, 2017 4:22 am

76ciology wrote:Would have preferred Mclemore's 2 year 11 Mil deal than this.

I agree, but with Redick,TLC,Stauskas,Bayless on the roster,Korkmaz coming over and in the mix, and then factor in Covington/Anderson as well at the 3 spot.....there really is not a ton of room for McLemore.
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,562

Post#117 » by 76ciology » Mon Jul 3, 2017 4:29 am

PhilasFinest wrote:

I agree, but with Redick,TLC,Stauskas,Bayless on the roster,Korkmaz coming over and in the mix, and then factor in Covington/Anderson as well at the 3 spot.....there really is not a ton of room for McLemore.

True.

Then maybe Dedmonat 11m then?

Amir is a very good analytics guy and plays good on both ends. Even has an underrated 3. So this could be a steal with little downside.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
PhilasFinest
RealGM

Post#118 » by PhilasFinest » Mon Jul 3, 2017 6:04 am

76ciology wrote:
PhilasFinest wrote:

True.

Then maybe Dedmonat 11m then?

Amir is a very good analytics guy and plays good on both ends. Even has an underrated 3. So this could be a steal with little downside.

Yea. I honestly was pretty disappointed with the signing initially, but after looking at the #'s, I was surprised with just how consistent Johnson has been throughout his career in terms of being a positive player on the floor. Once I saw that and factored in the added depth and "veteran" presence, I saw the logic behind it and was good with it.

Holmes could really, really learn something from Johnson. They have similar games (Johnson was a lot bouncier in his early days like Holmes) and if Holmes can carve out the type of consistency Johnson has had, It would really help us.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,729

Post#119 » by the_process » Mon Jul 3, 2017 6:59 am

Sixerscan wrote:Celtics coming out of this offseason with just jayson Tatum and Paul millsap would be the funniest.

How about just Jayson Tatum?
phifans
Veteran
And1: 586

Post#120 » by phifans » Mon Jul 3, 2017 8:09 am

PhilasFinest wrote:

Im fine with the Redick signing assuming he would make good impact on our youngsters but if I could choose I may prefer try to sign McLemore or Waiters on a real bargin deal for one more year.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers