Welcome Amir Johnson. One year 11 million

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 5,982

Re: Welcome Amir Johnson. One year 11 million 

Post#161 » by spikeslovechild » Fri Jul 7, 2017 12:43 am

ckchen wrote:
TTP wrote:Your first sentence implies that Amir can't play anymore. Amir was better than Zach last season.

From whose reports at the bolded? The Celtics were 9.3 points per 100 poss better when Amir was on the court last season and he played 20 mpg. He crushed advanced stats again. I'm not sure where this myth originated that he's done on the court and is only being brought in to be a mentor - it certainly still seems that he can play and will provide on-court contributions as well.

Hawes exercised his player option.

You can believe what you will, but advanced stats (as always) don't tell the whole story. Just to simply say that he was "better" because of advanced stats doesn't really tell me anything. Come playoff time Amir wasn't getting any time on the court at all, and wasn't effective even in the limited minutes he did play.

While it's easy to write off as myth created by Bill Simmons, in this one instance as an actual, rabid Celtics fan who probably watches every game, there may actually be some basis behind it. Lots of people saying that injuries and bad ankles are limiting him a lot as player, and that he's getting by on basketball IQ. The idea that Amir has become very limited as a player was also mentioned on one of the latest Zach Lowe pods, and also repeated by at least one of the CSNBoston sports reporters, I forget which one. Even Pompey said something similar during a recent interview said that the Sixers didn't sign Amir Johnson for his diminishing on-court skills, but for his mentorship. Pompey is kind of meaningless, but it just stacks onto multiple similar reports.

Again, none of this changes the fact that none of these mentor type players have even signed yet. I understand maybe he the guy that BC definitely wanted, but if you're going to overpay a guy, do it because there are other actual bidders.

Agreed the advanced metrics always overweight the Amirs because they never take into account his limitations they actually reward it.

For example Tyson Chandler if going by metrics had one of the most dominate runs ever by a center. More dominate then Kareem. More dominate then Shaq. More dominate then Olajuwon.

Why? Because he couldn't shoot so he didn't. I'm sorry but coaches are not robots if they see a player who can't score they are going to have defenders cheat on another player. Watch the raptors playoffs. The Cavs left pretty much everybody except Lowry and Derozen wide open and they couldn't score. Amir doesn't score in the post. 53% of his attempts come from around the rim 0-3 feet. He can't hit 3's.

So yeah when he does take a jumpshot it's usually because he is wide open. He takes 8-9 shots per 36 mins which is abysmal. To give that number some perspective when Nerlens was here he was taking around 11 shots per 36 mins.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,043

Post#162 » by Sixerscan » Fri Jul 7, 2017 1:15 am

spikeslovechild wrote:
ckchen wrote:
TTP wrote:Your first sentence implies that Amir can't play anymore. Amir was better than Zach last season.

From whose reports at the bolded? The Celtics were 9.3 points per 100 poss better when Amir was on the court last season and he played 20 mpg. He crushed advanced stats again. I'm not sure where this myth originated that he's done on the court and is only being brought in to be a mentor - it certainly still seems that he can play and will provide on-court contributions as well.

Hawes exercised his player option.

You can believe what you will, but advanced stats (as always) don't tell the whole story. Just to simply say that he was "better" because of advanced stats doesn't really tell me anything. Come playoff time Amir wasn't getting any time on the court at all, and wasn't effective even in the limited minutes he did play.

While it's easy to write off as myth created by Bill Simmons, in this one instance as an actual, rabid Celtics fan who probably watches every game, there may actually be some basis behind it. Lots of people saying that injuries and bad ankles are limiting him a lot as player, and that he's getting by on basketball IQ. The idea that Amir has become very limited as a player was also mentioned on one of the latest Zach Lowe pods, and also repeated by at least one of the CSNBoston sports reporters, I forget which one. Even Pompey said something similar during a recent interview said that the Sixers didn't sign Amir Johnson for his diminishing on-court skills, but for his mentorship. Pompey is kind of meaningless, but it just stacks onto multiple similar reports.

Again, none of this changes the fact that none of these mentor type players have even signed yet. I understand maybe he the guy that BC definitely wanted, but if you're going to overpay a guy, do it because there are other actual bidders.

Agreed the advanced metrics always overweight the Amirs because they never take into account his limitations they actually reward it.

For example Tyson Chandler if going by metrics had one of the most dominate runs ever by a center. More dominate then Kareem. More dominate then Shaq. More dominate then Olajuwon.

Why? Because he couldn't shoot so he didn't. I'm sorry but coaches are not robots if they see a player who can't score they are going to have defenders cheat on another player. Watch the raptors playoffs. The Cavs left pretty much everybody except Lowry and Derozen wide open and they couldn't score. Amir doesn't score in the post. 53% of his attempts come from around the rim 0-3 feet. He can't hit 3's.

So yeah when he does take a jumpshot it's usually because he is wide open. He takes 8-9 shots per 36 mins which is abysmal. To give that number some perspective when Nerlens was here he was taking around 11 shots per 36 mins.

What metric says Tyson chandler was more dominant that shaq lol?

Obviously Johnson wasn't the 5th best power forward in the league. But the fact that Boston didn't completely fall off the map when he played means something. This team had a serious issue with sucking whenever Embiid was off the court, if Johnson can hold down the fort as a low usage player and keep lineups mediocre instead of awful it will help a lot.

I don't care about how he performed in the playoffs or if he scores in the post. In fact I would really prefer he not score in the post and let the other guys create. Sixers aren't winning a title this year, his contract is only for one year, he's not an especially important person on the roster etc etc etc.
Lovetron Joe
Rookie
And1: 482

Post#163 » by Lovetron Joe » Fri Jul 7, 2017 11:08 am

TTP wrote:
XtremeDunkz wrote:idk how anyone can hate a 1 year signing.

You wouldn't be upset if BC paid me 25 million for 1 year to be on the team?

What does your jump shot look like?
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,592

Post#164 » by sixerswillrule » Fri Jul 7, 2017 11:29 am

Sixerscan wrote:
spikeslovechild wrote:Agreed the advanced metrics always overweight the Amirs because they never take into account his limitations they actually reward it.

What metric says Tyson chandler was more dominant that shaq lol?

My guess is viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1559362&start=540#p55179676

Also it's more dominANT.
76ersfan
Pro Prospect
And1: 205

Post#165 » by 76ersfan » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:39 am

Minutes need to go toward Holmes not a washed up 12-13 year vet.
Long Live Sam Hinkie :D
TTP
Head Coach
And1: 4,398

Post#166 » by TTP » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:11 am

76ersfan wrote:

While I agree that Richaun needs minutes and the signing was perplexing from that perspective, Amir is pretty far from washed up.

The most alarming part of the signing is that it probably indicates the team is going to continue sitting Embiid a lot this year, or at minimum is trying to have a backup plan to continue to be competitive in the event that Embiid sustains another major injury.
jonjames is a signature bet welcher.

Appostis wrote:You're friend ..is a idiot.
76ersfan
Pro Prospect

Post#167 » by 76ersfan » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:29 am

TTP wrote:
76ersfan wrote:

While I agree that Richaun needs minutes and the signing was perplexing from that perspective, Amir is pretty far from washed up.

The most alarming part of the signing is that it probably indicates the team is going to continue sitting Embiid a lot this year, or at minimum is trying to have a backup plan to continue to be competitive in the event that Embiid sustains another major injury.

If he wasn't washed up then why did he play such a small role for Boston when they were getting crushed on the glass by other teams in more than one series in playoff time?

Sent from my iPad using RealGM mobile app
76ersfan
Pro Prospect

Post#168 » by 76ersfan » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:30 am

TTP wrote:
76ersfan wrote:

I do agree that we definitely need insurance policies for Embiid. Probably just my sports OCD kicking in but I hate overpaying for any contract including one year deals.

TTP
Head Coach

Post#169 » by TTP » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:00 am

76ersfan wrote:
TTP wrote:
76ersfan wrote:Minutes need to go toward Holmes not a washed up 12-13 year vet.

If he wasn't washed up then why did he play such a small role for Boston when they were getting crushed on the glass by other teams in more than one series in playoff time?

If he was washed up, why did he play 20 mpg and 80 games (including 77 starts) for a #1 seed?

If he was washed up, why did he crush advanced stats for the 12th straight season with no apparent statistical drop-off?

Neither of those things indicate a player that is washed up.

One can also play poorly over an 18 game sample versus the better teams in the league and not be washed up. The Celtics were a deep team and Amir wasn't playing well and was hampered by injuries. There are also plenty of solid players on good teams that saw drastic minutes reductions in the playoffs (Kanter, Dedmon, Frye, etc).

76ersfan
Pro Prospect

Post#170 » by 76ersfan » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:21 am

TTP wrote:
76ersfan wrote:
TTP wrote:

If he was washed up, why did he play 20 mpg and 80 games (including 77 starts) for a #1 seed?

If he was washed up, why did he crush advanced stats for the 12th straight season with no apparent statistical drop-off?

One can also play poorly over an 18 game sample versus the better teams in the league and not be washed up. The Celtics were a deep team and Amir wasn't playing well and was hampered by injuries. There are also plenty of solid players on good teams that saw drastic minutes reductions in the playoffs (Kanter, Dedmon, Frye, etc).[/]
To say Amir Johnson crushes anything is overstating his alleged importance to a team. He's been a mediocre "energy" guy his whole career who has little to no offensive game outside put backs and such. It's fine to have those guys but they can't be signed for over what the market dictates. Willie Reed got paid 1.5 million and Arron Baynes got 4 and both are somewhat similar players.

TTP
Head Coach

Post#171 » by TTP » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:21 pm

76ersfan wrote:
TTP wrote:
76ersfan wrote:If he wasn't washed up then why did he play such a small role for Boston when they were getting crushed on the glass by other teams in more than one series in playoff time?

One can also play poorly over an 18 game sample versus the better teams in the league and not be washed up. The Celtics were a deep team and Amir wasn't playing well and was hampered by injuries. There are also plenty of solid players on good teams that saw drastic minutes reductions in the playoffs (Kanter, Dedmon, Frye, etc).[/]
To say Amir Johnson crushes anything is overstating his alleged importance to a team. He's been a mediocre "energy" guy his whole career who has little to no offensive game outside put backs and such. It's fine to have those guys but they can't be signed for over what the market dictates. Willie Reed got paid 1.5 million and Arron Baynes got 4 and both are somewhat similar players.

Saying he's overpaid is a goalpost shifting argument from saying he's washed up. I don't think many would disagree that he's overpaid this year, but the circumstances made it pretty reasonable. The team had a fixed amount they intended to spend and a fixed amount of roster spots they wanted to fill. Once Redick was signed, the remaining amount went to fill the final spot.

You're treating offense as if it's a synonym for scoring, when in reality, there are many components to having a positive offense game. Amir does non-scoring things on offense well that allow the offense to run better when he's on the floor. He's a good screener, positions well off the ball, finishes extremely efficiently in the paint, and shoots fairly well from mid-range.

The bolded statement is just so wrong though. He's been a huge positive to every team he's been on his entire career but he's perpetually underrated because he's good at a lot of the things that don't show up in the box score stats and aren't scoring.

76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,419

Post#172 » by 76ciology » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:14 am

I was listening to Sixers science podcast and they were pretty high on Amir. Then i looked at bkref.

So Amir is just as old as Kevin Durant. Just 29. Just seems like he’s older since he entered the league at 18. He has been consistently good with his analytics, 3apg per 36 and can shoot 3s. He also played with the starters when Biid was out during training camp.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Simmons25
Analyst
And1: 2,235

Post#173 » by Simmons25 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:28 am

I personally thought Amir was here as much for his value as a vet than his ability to help us win games this year. We can't have an entire squad full of 19 to 23 year olds... and he provides good insurance if Embiid misses games.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#174 » by 76ciology » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:57 am

This guy has been horrible off the bench. Mostly because of his bizarre decisions on offense. But his on court defensive impact has been good.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Chris76
Sixth Man
And1: 318

Post#175 » by Chris76 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:04 am

76ciology wrote:This guy has been horrible off the bench. Mostly because of his bizarre decisions on offense. But his on court defensive impact has been good.

Defenders barely defend him, he was at 3pt line and his defender was almost under the rim?
76ciology
RealGM

Post#176 » by 76ciology » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:06 am

Chris76 wrote:
76ciology wrote:This guy has been horrible off the bench. Mostly because of his bizarre decisions on offense. But his on court defensive impact has been good.

Defenders barely defend him, he was at 3pt line and his defender was almost under the rim?

he can shoot but with really crazy slow release.
PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Post#177 » by PhilasFinest » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:26 pm

Yea...so far I have not been impressed with Amir at all.
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
Chris76
Sixth Man
And1: 318

Post#178 » by Chris76 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:22 pm

PhilasFinest wrote:Yea...so far I have not been impressed with Amir at all.

On Philly Sports radio the host called him unwatchable?
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,692

Post#179 » by rzzzzz » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:03 am

Simmons25 wrote:I personally thought Amir was here as much for his value as a vet than his ability to help us win games this year.

should be coming off the bench after OK4 for the time being, until we trade him. and after Richaun when he returns,
joyeuxnoel
Bench Warmer
And1: 699

Post#180 » by joyeuxnoel » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:07 am

amir is still better than okafor tbh
Embiid-Simmons-Covington

Fire Colangelo

Return to Philadelphia 76ers