ImageImageImage

Welcome Amir Johnson. One year 11 million

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,571

Re: Welcome Amir Johnson. One year 11 million 

Post#61 » by 76ciology » Sun Jul 2, 2017 11:28 am

Help me out here. Shouldn't we just use the 11M and the rest of our contract for another 1 year rental perimeter player?
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,109

Post#62 » by Kobblehead » Sun Jul 2, 2017 11:33 am

OleSchool
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,344

Post#63 » by OleSchool » Sun Jul 2, 2017 11:34 am

76ciology wrote:Help me out here. Shouldn't we just use the 11M and the rest of our contract for another 1 year rental perimeter player?

I thought it was closer to 15? And we don't have room for anyone else, unless we're cutting/trading some players. Also, we can use what's left over for Roco
NYSixersFan wrote:quite simply, If I were GM, We would have a good young playoff team right now; with cap flexibility going forward

NYSixersFan wrote:I'D BE more then happy to debate you or anyone else on specifics

NYSixersFan wrote:How can I give you specifics? I'm not talking to other GM's
Simmons25
Analyst
And1: 2,235

Post#64 » by Simmons25 » Sun Jul 2, 2017 12:31 pm

OleSchool wrote:
76ciology wrote:Help me out here. Shouldn't we just use the 11M and the rest of our contract for another 1 year rental perimeter player?

I thought it was closer to 15? And we don't have room for anyone else, unless we're cutting/trading some players. Also, we can use what's left over for Roco

15 now. 14 if we get rid of Okafor. Depending on how he does in Summer League I'd like to see Bolden get that 15th spot if he shines out. He apparantly had a very impressive 2nd day at SL training camp.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,059

Post#65 » by sixers hoops » Sun Jul 2, 2017 12:32 pm

OleSchool wrote:

Derek is usually accurate:

Read on Twitter
OleSchool
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,344

Post#66 » by OleSchool » Sun Jul 2, 2017 12:36 pm

Simmons25 wrote:
OleSchool wrote:

15 now. 14 if we get rid of Okafor. Depending on how he does in Summer League I'd like to see Bolden get that 15th spot if he shines out. He apparantly had a very impressive 2nd day at SL training camp.

Sorry in my post the 15 I was referring to was 15 million in cap space, not players although we do have 15 contracts. My mistake for not being clear enough
NYSixersFan wrote:quite simply, If I were GM, We would have a good young playoff team right now; with cap flexibility going forward

NYSixersFan wrote:I'D BE more then happy to debate you or anyone else on specifics

NYSixersFan wrote:How can I give you specifics? I'm not talking to other GM's
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,474

Post#67 » by youngcrev » Sun Jul 2, 2017 12:45 pm

Simmons25 wrote:
TTP wrote:Ignoring rest nights, something like

PG: Fultz (30), Bayless (8) TJ (10)
SG: Redick (28), TLC (12), Bayless (8)
SF: Covington (32), Simmons (10), TLC (6)
PF: Simmons (20), Saric (24), Johnson (4)
C: Embiid (28), Johnson (14), Holmes (6)

Stauskas, Anderson, Korkmaz, and Okafor (or whoever replaces him) out of the rotation.

The main issues though are that lineups with Saric + Simmons won't be great (basically need Embiid out there next to them). Also Holmes seems likely to be the one losing minutes here unless you cut down Bayless or TJ's minutes or bump one from the rotation and then have Amir get more minutes at PF, Simmons get more minutes at SF, and TLC gets all of his minutes at SG. You're going to end up with some pretty huge lineups though with suspect spacing because you're going to be playing 3 of Simmons/Saric/Johnson/Holmes at the same time, and none of them are plus shooters.

:noway: Simmons is playing PG... whether people want it or not.

Read on Twitter

On offense. In terms of filling out a rotation, it's easier to simply define him under the position he will be defending.
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Post#68 » by Kolkmania » Sun Jul 2, 2017 12:50 pm

Like him as a veteran presence and a mentor for the big guys. He's been labeled as a PF, but he played the center role for Celtics with Horford defending the PF/C with mobility and Amir roaming around the rim.

Don't hope he'll log any minutes at the PF with Simmons and Saric around.
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,595

Post#69 » by sixerswillrule » Sun Jul 2, 2017 12:53 pm

Simmons25 wrote:

Stauskas, Anderson, Korkmaz, and Okafor (or whoever replaces him) out of the rotation.

The main issues though are that lineups with Saric + Simmons won't be great (basically need Embiid out there next to them). Also Holmes seems likely to be the one losing minutes here unless you cut down Bayless or TJ's minutes or bump one from the rotation and then have Amir get more minutes at PF, Simmons get more minutes at SF, and TLC gets all of his minutes at SG. You're going to end up with some pretty huge lineups though with suspect spacing because you're going to be playing 3 of Simmons/Saric/Johnson/Holmes at the same time, and none of them are plus shooters.

There is Fultz, Redick, and Covington on the floor but you want Simmons to be the one defending PGs? :noway:
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#70 » by sixers hoops » Sun Jul 2, 2017 12:58 pm

youngcrev wrote:
Simmons25 wrote:

Read on Twitter

On offense. In terms of filling out a rotation, it's easier to simply define him under the position he will be defending.

Yeah. I don't think it's a "whether people want it or not." We are going by what the coach said. Ben will run a traditional point on offense, and guard the player that guards him on defense. And obviously very few point guards will guard Ben.

Ben is just referring to his role offensively. When Brett Brown lists the starting lineup for the TV crews, he will likely just put Simmons, Fultz, Redick, Roc, Embiid. It will be a little strange if Redick is listed as a 3 and Roc as a 4, but they know who they are defending.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#71 » by sixers hoops » Sun Jul 2, 2017 1:09 pm

sixerswillrule wrote:
Simmons25 wrote:

Read on Twitter

There is Fultz, Redick, and Covington on the floor but you want Simmons to be the one defending PGs? :noway:

I just think some people have trouble wrapping their heads around the fact that you don't need to guard the position you play offensively.

Why would I list Ben as a PF rather than a PG when filling out a roster grid? Because it's important to make sure each unit has the size to match up defensively. Offensively, player size is less important and complementary skills are more important.
Simmons25
Analyst
And1: 2,235

Post#72 » by Simmons25 » Sun Jul 2, 2017 1:42 pm

sixerswillrule wrote:
Simmons25 wrote:

Where did I say he was going to be defending PGs? I didn't. As I've said in other posts... he is the main ballhandler who is the PG on offense and defending the 4 on defense. It's because people can't get their head around these positions being offensive positions...and not DEFENSE when it comes to positions! It's infuriating.

Think about how illogical it is. POINT FORWARD. SMALL FORWARD are 2 of the positions. In every sport in existence on the face of the planet a position that has the name FORWARD in it... refers to the ATTACKING position... not a defensive position.
long range bomber
Bench Warmer
And1: 52

Post#73 » by long range bomber » Sun Jul 2, 2017 1:44 pm

sixers hoops wrote:
sixerswillrule wrote:
Simmons25 wrote:

Read on Twitter

I just think some people have trouble wrapping their heads around the fact that you don't need to guard the position you play offensively.

Why would I list Ben as a PF rather than a PG when filling out a roster grid? Because it's important to make sure each unit has the size to match up defensively. Offensively, player size is less important and complementary skills are more important.

Lol what team plays an 11-man rotation in the regular season? Team mainly play 9-10 man line ups. Someone will ride the bench..
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#74 » by sixers hoops » Sun Jul 2, 2017 1:48 pm

long range bomber wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:
sixerswillrule wrote:

Lol what team plays an 11-man rotation in the regular season? Team mainly play 9-10 man line ups. Someone will ride the bench..

Lol. Why you replying to me? I never said anything about an 11 man rotation.
sixerswillrule
RealGM

Post#75 » by sixerswillrule » Sun Jul 2, 2017 1:51 pm

Simmons25 wrote:
sixerswillrule wrote:
Simmons25 wrote:

Where did I say he was going to be defending PGs? I didn't. As I've said in other posts... he is the main ballhandler who is the PG on offense and defending the 4 on defense. It's because people can't get their head around these positions being offensive positions...and not DEFENSE when it comes to positions! It's infuriating.

Think about how illogical it is. POINT FORWARD. SMALL FORWARD are 2 of the positions. In every sport in existence on the face of the planet a position that has the name FORWARD in it... refers to the ATTACKING position... not a defensive position.

Everyone knows he is the main ball-handler who is the PG on offense. You responded to the other post as if he didn't think Simmons would be the main ball-handler. Lineups have generally always been listed by height/defensive matchups, that''s just the way it is. Kawhi Leonard is clearly a guard on offense for the Spurs and the ball is rarely ever in Danny Green's hands. Is Kawhi listed at SG? No. If you insist that the lineup be:

PG - Simmons
SG - Fultz
SF - Redick
PF - Covington
C - Embiid

Then be my guest. I don't really care one way or the other. It's just a label and has no effect on the game.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#76 » by Sixerscan » Sun Jul 2, 2017 2:29 pm

Who gives a crap what position he is labeled? I'm sure Brett will use him a bunch of different ways throughout the season, and long term he'll be used in ways that make sense.

I swear people want our game plan for game 7 against the warriors set in stone before they've even played a game yet.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#77 » by sixers hoops » Sun Jul 2, 2017 2:54 pm

Simmons25 wrote:
sixerswillrule wrote:
Simmons25 wrote:

The positions were traditionally designed when players generally didn't cross-match defensively. You really need to field a team that functions both offensively and defensively, so traditional label don't really apply. The whole attacking thing is silly. He will initiate the offense offensively and defend forwards defensively. Getting infuriated because people won't conform with your simplistic "attacking positions" philosophy is silly.

When people lists lineups, they list Ben at power forward to indicate we have size to matchup defensively. The coach said he will run the point offensively. Everybody knows this.
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#78 » by Ericb5 » Sun Jul 2, 2017 2:54 pm

Brown's plan is to have Simmons guard whoever guards him, and a lot of power forwards are going to have a hard time doing that.

Who Simmons guards will largely be a choice of the opposing team picking their poison. I'm sure that Simmons will be able to guard any one that can guard him, and that is the most important point here.

Teams will try different things to stop him, but they have no good choices really. Guards will mostly be too small, and bigs will mostly be too slow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sixerswillrule
RealGM

Post#79 » by sixerswillrule » Sun Jul 2, 2017 2:58 pm

Ericb5 wrote:Brown's plan is to have Simmons guard whoever guards him, and a lot of power forwards are going to have a hard time doing that.

Who Simmons guards will largely be a choice of the opposing team picking their poison. I'm sure that Simmons will be able to guard any one that can guard him, and that is the most important point here.

Teams will try different things to stop him, but they have no good choices really. Guards will mostly be too small, and bigs will mostly be too slow.

I doubt that plan actually happens because it's pretty stupid. Simmons should guard whatever position it makes most sense for him to guard. In a lineup of Fultz, Redick, Covington, Simmons, Embiid, why would that be any position other than PF?
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#80 » by sixers hoops » Sun Jul 2, 2017 3:10 pm

sixerswillrule wrote:
Ericb5 wrote:Brown's plan is to have Simmons guard whoever guards him, and a lot of power forwards are going to have a hard time doing that.

I doubt that plan actually happens because it's pretty stupid. Simmons should guard whatever position it makes most sense for him to guard. In a lineup of Fultz, Redick, Covington, Simmons, Embiid, why would that be any position other than PF?

I never understood why Brett said he would allow the other team to determine who Ben guards so we don't have to cross switch. Iverson and Snow cross-switched for years with no major problems. Why doesn't Brett decide which defensive matchups are advantageous for us and dictate the matchups.

We'll have to see what actually happens once the games start.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers