ImageImageImage

LeBron 2018: Will the Sixers have a shot?

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Mrcrockpots
Junior
And1: 172

Re: LeBron 2018: Will the Sixers have a shot? 

Post#301 » by Mrcrockpots » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:26 pm

"D's like Klay, creates like Steph" lol
BoomBap
Bench Warmer
And1: 401

Post#302 » by BoomBap » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:36 pm

If LBJ demands a trade a we have to give up Fultz. My only question is: Fultz who?

LBJ will be a Top 10 player for the next 5 years. A team with LBJ,Ben and Biid "could" beat the Warriors. I'm all in.
Mrcrockpots
Junior
And1: 172

Post#303 » by Mrcrockpots » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:20 pm

Yea I would be in too
ivysixer2000
General Manager
And1: 2,033

Post#304 » by ivysixer2000 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:53 pm

I believe that dream is over now, I thought it might happen but with the Cavs getting that pick and better.....Bron ain't going anywhere.

Magic would have to put something in his drink to make him think about leaving.
phiphan
Head Coach
And1: 2,331

Post#305 » by phiphan » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:05 pm

ivysixer2000 wrote:I believe that dream is over now, I thought it might happen but with the Cavs getting that pick and better.....Bron ain't going anywhere.

Seems like this would be relevant to LeBron only if they flip the pick for an excellent vet who can compete in LeBron's remaining window. Doubt LeBron wants to play "pass the torch" to a rookie in his remaining years.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,059

Post#306 » by sixers hoops » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:50 pm

ivysixer2000 wrote:I believe that dream is over now, I thought it might happen but with the Cavs getting that pick and better.....Bron ain't going anywhere.

I think his chances over leaving just increased. I don't think Lebron cares about drafting a likely mid lottery kid that will take a few years to develop. His championship window is closing.
Unbreakable99
General Manager
And1: 3,993

Post#307 » by Unbreakable99 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:16 pm

That pick has nothing to do if LeBron leaves or stays. He's 99% still leaving and going to the Lakers. Cleveland will just have a high pick this time in the draft once LeBron bolts.
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#308 » by Ericb5 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:28 pm

phiphan wrote:

Seems like this would be relevant to LeBron only if they flip the pick for an excellent vet who can compete in LeBron's remaining window. Doubt LeBron wants to play "pass the torch" to a rookie in his remaining years.

Agreed. That Brooklyn pick, even if it ends up in the top 3 is probably going to be a kid that is a few years away from being really good. Would someone like Brandon Ingram help the Cavs in the finals in the next few years? Not enough imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,194

Post#309 » by ProcessDoctor » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:00 pm

I actually see this trade potentially causing him to stay IF they trade the pick for a win-now player (I.e. DeAndre, Gasol, Boogie). If they do that and beat GS, I'd be shocked if he left. I still don't see many good scenarios out there for him.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
aHealthy3
Rookie
And1: 301

Post#310 » by aHealthy3 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:02 pm

Of course LeBron doesn't want to wait for the pick to actually come to fruition. But he is almost certainly more likely to stay with the Cavs now. 2 days ago, the Cavs were stuck with no way of getting better. LeBron understood this...and I'm sure he understands now that with these new assets and their new cap flexibility, they have a chance (albeit slim) to retool a superteam to challenge the Warriors. With this pick as bait, they can get another star level player - this pick alone is probably worth more than the packages Boogie or Paul George fetched. Oh, and they get to do it while still retaining Kyrie's production. This move takes their ceiling to a new level.

Unless him leaving the Cavs is completely unrelated to basketball, he's virtually 100% more likely to stay now than he was before.
Sam Hinkie wrote:The illusion of control is an opiate, though.
ivysixer2000
General Manager

Post#311 » by ivysixer2000 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:20 pm

sixers hoops wrote:

I think his chances over leaving just increased. I don't think Lebron cares about drafting a likely mid lottery kid that will take a few years to develop. His championship window is closing.

Nah they could say at the end of the season, if you resign, we will trade the pick for a vet that he would like. They just have more options now for him, which is why I think there is almost a zero chance he will leave. Heck he might want to keep the pick, who knows, he is really hurting the franchises future if he does want to trade it.

Now the Cavs would be stupid to trade the pick before they get any long term agreement from Bron. A mid season trade of that pick for a vet then Bron leaves would just be stupid on their part. Basically, they should say, we will trade the pick for someone you want if you commit to us longer term.

He really has no reason not to commit to the Cavs, the lakers won't win with or without him, unless he just wants to live in LA that bad.
aHealthy3
Rookie

Post#312 » by aHealthy3 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:22 pm

ivysixer2000 wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:

Nah they could say at the end of the season, if you resign, we will trade the pick for a vet that he would like. They just have more options now for him, which is why I think there is almost a zero chance he will leave. Heck he might want to keep the pick, who knows, he is really hurting the franchises future if he does want to trade it.

Now the Cavs would be stupid to trade the pick before they get any long term agreement from Bron. A mid season trade of that pick for a vet then Bron leaves would just be stupid on their part. Basically, they should say, we will trade the pick for someone you want if you commit to us longer term.

He really has no reason not to commit to the Cavs, the lakers won't win with or without him, unless he just wants to live in LA that bad.

Personally I wouldn't even need his 100% commitment to go ahead and rip the pick for somebody if the player was a real difference maker. Championship windows don't come around much. They'll have plenty of years to tank and rebuild. Plus even without a long term commitment Bron could decide to do a 1 year deal and try again if he likes the team.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#313 » by sixers hoops » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:58 am

DikembeFor3 wrote:
ivysixer2000 wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:

Personally I wouldn't even need his 100% commitment to go ahead and rip the pick for somebody if the player was a real difference maker. Championship windows don't come around much. They'll have plenty of years to tank and rebuild. Plus even without a long term commitment Bron could decide to do a 1 year deal and try again if he likes the team.

That pick may be mid-lottery. Those picks don't really get you impact players. I guess we'll see, but if I'm Lebron I wouldn't have been very optimistic about Cleveland's future with IT and Love. That lottery pick, unless it becomes a 1 or 2, doesn't usually get you an all-star type.

He could sign to play with Kawhi or may try to force a sign and trade to Houston.
aHealthy3
Rookie

Post#314 » by aHealthy3 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:01 am

sixers hoops wrote:
DikembeFor3 wrote:
ivysixer2000 wrote:

That pick may be mid-lottery. Those picks don't really get you impact players. I guess we'll see, but if I'm Lebron I wouldn't have been very optimistic about Cleveland's future with IT and Love. That lottery pick, unless it becomes a 1 or 2, doesn't usually get you an all-star type.

He could sign to play with Kawhi or may try to force a sign and trade to Cleveland.

A deal centered around that pick can easily net you a star level player. Look at the deals that have gone down this year alone...boogie, PG, butler. Even if that pick ends up 7th overall, it's likely more valuable than any single asset that changed hands in any of those deals.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#315 » by sixers hoops » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:11 am

DikembeFor3 wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:
DikembeFor3 wrote:

He could sign to play with Kawhi or may try to force a sign and trade to Cleveland.

A deal centered around that pick can easily net you a star level player. Look at the deals that have gone down this year alone...boogie, PG, butler. Even if that pick ends up 7th overall, it's likely more valuable than any single asset that changed hands in any of those deals.

Well, all three trades were criticized for the team not getting enough for their star, yet still got more than cleveland's offer of the Nets pick if it's not top 3.

Butler cost a 7 pick along with Lavine and Dunn. Cleveland doesn't really have a Lavine like prospect to add to a deal.

For cousins, sac got their highly coveted Heild and a lottery pick. Again Cleveland only really has the pick. Not a young prospect like Hield to entice teams along with the pick.

George went for an awful package. I guess they could always rob someone blind.
aHealthy3
Rookie

Post#316 » by aHealthy3 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:16 am

sixers hoops wrote:
DikembeFor3 wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:

Well, all three trades were criticized for the team not getting enough for their star, yet still got more than cleveland's offer of the Nets pick if it's not top 3.

Butler cost a 7 pick along with Lavine and Dunn. Cleveland doesn't really have a Lavine like prospect to add to a deal.

For cousins, sac got their highly coveted Heild and a lottery pick. Again Cleveland only really has the pick. Not a young prospect like Hield to entice teams along with the pick.

Don't forget Chicago also included the 16th pick in that Butler trade.

Cleveland could put together a better package than those by including Crowder, or even a blockbuster involving Love. Especially if it's midseason and the Nets are in the bottom 5.

sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#317 » by sixers hoops » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:46 am

DikembeFor3 wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:
DikembeFor3 wrote:A deal centered around that pick can easily net you a star level player. Look at the deals that have gone down this year alone...boogie, PG, butler. Even if that pick ends up 7th overall, it's likely more valuable than any single asset that changed hands in any of those deals.

Cleveland could put together a better package than those by including Crowder, or even a blockbuster involving Love. Especially if it's midseason and the Nets are in the bottom 5.

Forgot about Chowder.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,531

Post#318 » by 76ciology » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:33 am

Can someone explain to me why LBJ would prefer LA?

Even if LAL gets some roster upgrade,he'll still have a tough time making to the finals against the Warriors. That is unless his strategy is facing them earlier when he's fresher haha

While if LBJ stops making it to the finals, it spells nothing but decline for him that makes it look bad for his legacy and marketability
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,531

Post#319 » by 76ciology » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:35 am

I think LBJ staying with Cavs hinges heavily with what they are getting back in return for the Nets pick which they will shop till draft day.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
ivysixer2000
General Manager

Post#320 » by ivysixer2000 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:46 am

sixers hoops wrote:
DikembeFor3 wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:

Forgot about Chowder.

Yeah, I was just saying the pick is a bargaining chip, who knows where it will end up, but the Cavs haven't had any bargaining chips in a long time. Now we do of course, so that might be a point in our favor, but the Cavs can make a stronger case now to keep him than before the trade. Before that trade, he was definitely gone and had no reason to stay....now the Cavs can at least make a pretty good case.

It does depend on how the season turns out, and if the Cavs get a great offer for the pick during the season that would be good for both them and Bron. Who knows what will happen, my only point was we went from Bron definitely leaving cause the team doesn't have any assists to win, to well, he has to have an actual reason to leave. Big difference to me.

I know some are saying that the Nets could actually win and make that pick worse cause they have no reason to tank, but that theory does run a lil short in the fact that they actually do suck.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers