ImageImageImage

The Legend of Joel Embiid

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,528

Re: The Legend of Joel Embiid 

Post#1241 » by 76ciology » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:21 am

Understated this season is Embiid's landing after his jumps. I'm glad he sat out last season to improve his landing.

Biid is also a smart scorer. He balances his inconsistent shooting with FTs and around the rim attempts to not hurt his TS%. He likes to attack with his right, so smart defenders would anticipate those (i.e. wade block). But he counters this with jumpers with his left shoulder.

He's also a pretty good passer. His one hand passes are pretty accurate. And he could just raise the ball to not get deflected for hand-offs.

As a scorer he still got a lot of room with better left hand in finishing and a more consistent jumper His dream shake will be much lethal with these.

Long term, Ben should be a better perimeter threat. My projection for him as a shooter is similar to Blake Griffin. Fultz should also be a perimeter threat. Once that happens, Biid should focus more on operating in the paint and being more consistent with his mid range.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,009

Post#1242 » by Bum Adebayo » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:00 pm

Ben just doesn't have the fluidity in his motion to be Blake as a shooter (who is not even elite at shooting), at least that's what the eye test is telling me, just like eye test tells me that Embiid 3pt shooting could improve, slow but very fluid release, I'd say Embiid is a 34-35% 3pt shooter in a normal season, not elite but just decent.
I think Ben could be a decent midrange shooter but that's it, his motion is not good for long distance shots.
Great takes since 2024-04-20
Unbreakable99
General Manager
And1: 3,993

Post#1243 » by Unbreakable99 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:19 pm

I don’t know why Embiid can’t get lower position. He should be able to catch the ball within 6 feet. And I also would like to know how the NBA counts post ups. If Embiid catches the ball 18 feet from the basket with his back to the basket does that count as a post up because if I were the judge I wouldn’t count that as a post up. Just because you catch the ball with your back to the basket that doesn’t mean it’s a post up.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager

Post#1244 » by Bum Adebayo » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:32 pm

Unbreakable99 wrote:I don’t know why Embiid can’t get lower position. He should be able to catch the ball within 6 feet. And I also would like to know how the NBA counts post ups. If Embiid catches the ball 18 feet from the basket with his back to the basket does that count as a post up because if I were the judge I wouldn’t count that as a post up. Just because you catch the ball with your back to the basket that doesn’t mean it’s a post up.

He can't establish deep post position like guys like cousins for example, he lacks a good base in his lower body, that makes it easier for the opposing center tu push him out of the paint a little bit and that's also why he falls that much, his body type in the lower zone is why he doesn't have good balance. He can absorb contact very well around the rim, but when posting up he just lacks that lower body to just overpower smaller players. Probably why he prefers to shoot or face up.
I've no idea if the fact that he had that many injuries in his lower body has prevented him to train seriously his lower body strength, if this is the case, then next season, if he doesn't have another setback, should be interesting to see the result of training that in summer.
nrok10307
Junior
And1: 189

Post#1245 » by nrok10307 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:56 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:
Unbreakable99 wrote:I don’t know why Embiid can’t get lower position. He should be able to catch the ball within 6 feet. And I also would like to know how the NBA counts post ups. If Embiid catches the ball 18 feet from the basket with his back to the basket does that count as a post up because if I were the judge I wouldn’t count that as a post up. Just because you catch the ball with your back to the basket that doesn’t mean it’s a post up.

He can't establish deep post position like guys like cousins for example, he lacks a good base in his lower body, that makes it easier for the opposing center tu push him out of the paint a little bit and that's also why he falls that much, his body type in the lower zone is why he doesn't have good balance. He can absorb contact very well around the rim, but when posting up he just lacks that lower body to just overpower smaller players. Probably why he prefers to shoot or face up.
I've no idea if the fact that he had that many injuries in his lower body has prevented him to train seriously his lower body strength, if this is the case, then next season, if he doesn't have another setback, should be interesting to see the result of training that in summer.

Thoughts on if the offensive scheme is the result of any of this? Feel like I never see a simple back screen to free up JoJo on the block.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager

Post#1246 » by Bum Adebayo » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:44 pm

nrok10307 wrote:
Bum Adebayo wrote:

Thoughts on if the offensive scheme is the result of any of this? Feel like I never see a simple back screen to free up JoJo on the block.

It is both, he likes to float around the perimeter and th offensive scheme dictates that, but when he tries to establish good post position, it is not an easy task for him most of the time.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#1247 » by Sixerscan » Fri Dec 1, 2017 2:56 am

Joel establishes low position position more than any player in the league. He doesn't do it every time because it's really hard to do. Which is why no one else in the league does it as much as him.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#1248 » by LloydFree » Fri Dec 1, 2017 5:53 pm

Danny Leroux, on the RealGM podcast, says Joel Embiid is the 1st team All-NBA Center for the 1st month. Neither he or Duncan chose Boogie for 1st team. SuperMax coming into focus for Joel! That's 6 million less available on the CAP though.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#1249 » by Sixerscan » Fri Dec 1, 2017 6:00 pm

LloydFree wrote:Danny Leroux, on the RealGM podcast, says Joel Embiid is the 1st team All-NBA Center for the 1st month. Neither he or Duncan chose Boogie for 1st team. SuperMax coming into focus for Joel! That's 6 million less available on the CAP though.

Boogie has really cooled off lately. He was averaging like 30 ppg but has cracked 20 once in his last 6 games. He's been playing a lot less too, not sure if that's foul trouble or they're trying to limit his minutes.
MNSixerFan
Pro Prospect
And1: 136

Post#1250 » by MNSixerFan » Fri Dec 1, 2017 6:00 pm

He needs and should be able to post up 7-10 feet from the rack easily. This is something he really needs to work on. My advice would be to hire someone like Olajuwon or Kevin McHale. Too often embiid gets position 15 to 20 feet from the tin...that's unacceptable for someone 7-2 270.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,183

Post#1251 » by eyeatoma » Sat Dec 2, 2017 10:31 pm

Read on Twitter

Great to see, and he looks it now. I wonder how his knee is feeling. Also, what does everyone think his ideal weight should be? 275? 270? 265?
MNSixerFan
Pro Prospect

Post#1252 » by MNSixerFan » Sat Dec 2, 2017 10:53 pm

Needs to be at 250

I thought he looked heavy at the start
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,593

Re: RE: Re: The Legend of Joel Embiid 

Post#1253 » by sixerswillrule » Sat Dec 2, 2017 10:58 pm

MNSixerFan wrote:Needs to be at 250

He's 7'2".
Bum Adebayo
General Manager

Post#1254 » by Bum Adebayo » Sat Dec 2, 2017 11:00 pm

He doesn't have the body type to be 250lbs, he is a naturally big player, just not as heavy as guys like Cousins for example. But as always, more important than his weight is his body fat %, which I think could improve more if he commits to a better diet IMO.
WMDman
Rookie
And1: 466

Post#1255 » by WMDman » Sat Dec 2, 2017 11:11 pm

I think 270 is a good weight for him
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,183

Post#1256 » by eyeatoma » Sat Dec 2, 2017 11:23 pm

WMDman wrote:I think 270 is a good weight for him

Agreed, if he went Vegan that could be 265... A 265 Embiid would be like a gazelle on the court. Running like crazy like in college. He would be a lot quicker, and his d might be better, but he wouldn't be able to overpower his opponents. I think 270, or 275 might be a good balance. Let's see. w/e is best for his knees/feet/back is what it should be at haha.
agiaco
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#1257 » by agiaco » Sat Dec 2, 2017 11:36 pm

"What's the part about this match up that excites you the most?"
"Nothing really."

Embiid talking about Drummond tonight :lol:
Bum Adebayo
General Manager

Post#1258 » by Bum Adebayo » Sat Dec 2, 2017 11:47 pm

Thinks like shirley temples are very bad if you want to be in top shape, he should stop drinking that if he still does.
MNSixerFan
Pro Prospect

Post#1259 » by MNSixerFan » Sat Dec 2, 2017 11:57 pm

sixerswillrule wrote:

He's 7'2".

I know Kareem was 7-2 about 230 played over 20 years and might have been the best center of all time. 250.
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,593

Post#1260 » by sixerswillrule » Sat Dec 2, 2017 11:59 pm

MNSixerFan wrote:
sixerswillrule wrote:

He's 7'2".

I know Kareem was 7-2 about 230 played over 20 years and might have been the best center of all time. 250.

Andre Iguodala probably weighs about 230. Kareem didn't play at 230.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers