ImageImageImage

The Legend of Joel Embiid

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

LordCovington33
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,670

Re: The Legend of Joel Embiid 

Post#1481 » by LordCovington33 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:45 am

CoreyGallagher wrote:Hadnt seen this, was actually funny.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

He had trouble making friends in the office before the merger. When two companies had a big merger, staff doubled to 2. Very funny stuff.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,195

Post#1482 » by ProcessDoctor » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:20 pm

Embiid has honestly looked tired as hell these past few games. This makes sense though, as this is probably the longest stretch of basketball he's ever played.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,561

Post#1483 » by 76ciology » Thu Feb 1, 2018 7:06 am

Last year: 7.7 BLK% 2.5 blocks at 25mpg
This year: 4.4 Blk% 1.8blocks at 31mpg
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,221

Post#1484 » by eyeatoma » Thu Feb 1, 2018 7:16 am

76ciology wrote:Last year: 7.7 BLK% 2.5 blocks at 25mpg

Yeah he's obviously adjusting to a bigger workload... I dunno though man you seem to be trying to poke the bear with some of our posters with your recent hottakes
mithrandir17
Veteran
And1: 1,609

Post#1485 » by mithrandir17 » Thu Feb 1, 2018 11:54 am

eyeatoma wrote:

Yeah he's obviously adjusting to a bigger workload... I dunno though man you seem to be trying to poke the bear with some of our posters with your recent hottakes

Or it could be that he is trying not to play recklessly like he did last season by jumping to every shot to avoid more injuries. You could also see the difference in his drives this season that he is more controlled, using eurosteps and shooting more layups rather than trying to dunk it every time.
Wilfried
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,909

Post#1486 » by Wilfried » Thu Feb 1, 2018 12:01 pm

mithrandir17 wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:

Or it could be that he is trying not to play recklessly like he did last season by jumping to every shot to avoid more injuries. You could also see the difference in his drives this season that he is more controlled, using eurosteps and shooting more layups rather than trying to dunk it every time.

Correct and I'm happy with that. He's playing in control. Let's hope it will help his long-term health
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Post#1487 » by Kolkmania » Thu Feb 1, 2018 12:18 pm

Wilfried wrote:
mithrandir17 wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:

Correct and I'm happy with that. He's playing in control. Let's hope it will help his long-term health

The league is also adjusting to Embiid, countless times per game does the ball handler abort his drive to the rim because of Embiid. I do feel that he's less mobile than last year, but not sure if his overall defensive impact has reduced. He's also rebounding better and the number of fouls has decreased.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,009

Post#1488 » by Bum Adebayo » Thu Feb 1, 2018 12:48 pm

Unfortunately, this doesn't look like him getting less blocks because he is taking care of his body. He is clearly taking care of his body, you rarely see him with those weird landings like he had last season, but he is clearly less athletic and less mobile compared to last season. He is still an amazing player don't get me wrong, we just need to understand his latest meniscus injury may have robbed him some mobility and athleticism. In fact, it is still amazing that with all the injuries he had, he is still an all star starter in just his second season.
Great takes since 2024-04-20
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#1489 » by eyeatoma » Thu Feb 1, 2018 1:32 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:Unfortunately, this doesn't look like him getting less blocks because he is taking care of his body. He is clearly taking care of his body, you rarely see him with those weird landings like he had last season, but he is clearly less athletic and less mobile compared to last season. He is still an amazing player don't get me wrong, we just need to understand his latest meniscus injury may have robbed him some mobility and athleticism. In fact, it is still amazing that with all the injuries he had, he is still an all star starter in just his second season.

LOL, a meniscus injury isn't going to rob him of his athleticism... Sorry, not sure if you saw his dunk on Westbrook where he took off from the dotted line... He's still just as athletic. I think he's still rounding into form, and as others have said is probably trying to play smarter. He'll figure out a happy medium soon, or by next season. I know he takes pride in his defense so I'm sure he'll be thinking about his lower block percentage.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,009

Post#1490 » by Bum Adebayo » Thu Feb 1, 2018 2:01 pm

eyeatoma wrote:
Bum Adebayo wrote:Unfortunately, this doesn't look like him getting less blocks because he is taking care of his body. He is clearly taking care of his body, you rarely see him with those weird landings like he had last season, but he is clearly less athletic and less mobile compared to last season. He is still an amazing player don't get me wrong, we just need to understand his latest meniscus injury may have robbed him some mobility and athleticism. In fact, it is still amazing that with all the injuries he had, he is still an all star starter in just his second season.

LOL, a meniscus injury isn't going to rob him of his athleticism... Sorry, not sure if you saw his dunk on Westbrook where he took off from the dotted line... He's still just as athletic. I think he's still rounding into form, and as others have said is probably trying to play smarter. He'll figure out a happy medium soon, or by next season. I know he takes pride in his defense so I'm sure he'll be thinking about his lower block percentage.

There wasn't really great elevation in that dunk and he had a free straight line and time to load up, it is just that he is very tall and very long so he doesn't need to jump high to dunk, which is ok as it puts less stress in his legs when landing.
Great takes since 2024-04-20
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#1491 » by eyeatoma » Thu Feb 1, 2018 9:09 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:

There wasn't really great elevation in that dunk and he had a free straight line and time to load up, it is just that he is very tall and very long so he doesn't need to jump high to dunk, which is ok as it puts less stress in his legs when landing.

He never had a lot of elevation on his dunks, what he has is a quick burst, where he springs from the ground with tremendous energy. Certain dunks he has have a pop to it, that is uncommon for big men. He still has that ability. He doesn't use it as much, but it doesn't mean he's lost his athleticism. Unless the Sixers were lying, about the meniscus surgery and he had another procedure (quite possible for this franchise), I don't think there's any reason for him to have lost athleticism. The dude is playing more games then he ever has his whole life. He is conserving energy so he doesn't injure himself, it is clear to see. You mention his better landings, that is intentional. So why isn't his outlandish blocks, etc intentional either?
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#1492 » by Ericb5 » Thu Feb 1, 2018 9:12 pm

I think that part of this is increased focus on rebounding. More blocks are available to someone who isn’t positioned well for rebounding.

I think he will eventually incorporate both, but he has stayed home a lot more on defense this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#1493 » by LloydFree » Fri Feb 2, 2018 12:34 am

Ericb5 wrote:

I think that part of this is increased focus on rebounding. More blocks are available to someone who isn’t positioned well for rebounding.

I think he will eventually incorporate both, but he has stayed home a lot more on defense this year.

Also, just watching the games, he doesn't get as many opportunities to block shots. Teams don't even come near the basket when Embiid is in the game.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
XtremeDunkz
General Manager
And1: 6,843

Post#1494 » by XtremeDunkz » Fri Feb 2, 2018 1:43 am

LloydFree wrote:
Ericb5 wrote:

Also, just watching the games, he doesn't get as many opportunities to block shots. Teams don't even come near the basket when Embiid is in the game.

Yeah players rush shots or put up a quick floater before they get to him.
10/27/16
Nemesis21 wrote:It is absolutely hilarious hearing people still say Embiid has superstar potential.The guy is one injury away from being Greg Oden.:lol: Except Oden manged to play over 100 games in the NBA, I don't think Embiid will play more.
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Post#1495 » by kuclas » Fri Feb 2, 2018 2:36 am

I think Embiid defense this year has been meh. He’s not bad. Don’t get me wrong. But definitely doesn’t appear to be as quick as he was last year.

I just shake my head each time he gets pulled out to 3 point line by a small guard and as embiid gets closer. The guard just blows by him.

It’s true his block shots are down. But like others have stated. Players don’t even bother driving to the rim with him in the paint.

So it’s in the 20 feet away from the basket. Embiid seems very vulnerable this year. At first he I figure he’s just rusty. But he does seem slower with switches. Slower with help defense.

Is he conserving energy cause he’s playing more? I dunno. But it’s a long season. I’m just happy he’s playing 38 out of 48 games this season.

I will be happy we get 60 games out of embiid and a 7-8 seed in the playoffs.

We are at least 2 more seasons away from making a real dent in the playoffs.

The Fultz injury has really messed things up. I thought we would be like the 2013/2014 warriors and be able to make a real dent this season. That’s not gonna to happen. We are a .500 ball club.
cool93
Analyst
And1: 1,992

Post#1496 » by cool93 » Fri Feb 9, 2018 6:02 pm

Questionable against Pelicans. We really need him healthy for this easy part of schedule to make a run.
Kova
Veteran
And1: 712

Post#1497 » by Kova » Fri Feb 9, 2018 8:37 pm

Why is he questionable? Are they saving him for LAC tomorrow or something happened?
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#1498 » by Sixerscan » Fri Feb 9, 2018 9:58 pm

Kova wrote:Why is he questionable? Are they saving him for LAC tomorrow or something happened?

Something to do with his ankle.
ivysixer2000
General Manager
And1: 2,040

Post#1499 » by ivysixer2000 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:43 am

Sixerscan wrote:
kuclas wrote:
JojoSlimbiid wrote:Isn't this injury to Cousin's almost guarantee him the all nba first team? Health permitting of course.

The more I think about it.

Voters will just shift Anthony Davis over at center

That way. They will get to vote Kd/Giannis/LeBron at forward. (One of them will be left off 1st team)

All NBa first team
Voting has been very inconsistent voting fowarDa and centers.

I remember when they put Duncan/Shaq/Kg (shaq was center). Duncan and KG were forwards. So the left out small forwards

Yet during Charles Barkley Career. He got screwed out of a few first teams all nba. Cause they wanted to put real small forwards like Chris Mullin and Scottie Pippen on all
First team nba and put Karl Malone as the power forward first team.

Yeah, and hopefully this causes them to finally do away with the positional stuff and just pick the 5 best players. Especially because money is involved now.

But hey, if Embiid can play at a level that convinces a majority of national media members that he's a better player than Anthony Davis, I'm pretty sure we can handle the extra $5 million a year.

I'm wondering, cause I do believe Jojo could get all-nba, how does that $5 million affect us capwise. Been looking into it a lil, but not enough, even if we trade Bayless could we still sign a guy like Bron if Jojo makes all-nba?

I'm thinking not, but I hope I'm wrong.
JoJoEmbiid
Senior
And1: 151

Post#1500 » by JoJoEmbiid » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:09 pm

I think they can afford to pay a little tax after we've been at the cap FLOOR these last couple years.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers