The Ben Simmons Megathread

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,723

Re: The Ben Simmons Megathread 

Post#1781 » by the_process » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:45 pm

CoreyGallagher wrote:
the_process wrote:So you feeling slighted, Ben? Learn to ******* shoot!!

I’m glad he’s getting passed over. He needs motivation to stop disappearing for games on end.

But mainly he just needs to learn to shoot, even if it means switching hands. Get it done. Even just 33% from 3 and he would be unstoppable.

? What? He doesn't disappear for games on end... When has he? In the last 17 games hes only playing 32 minutes per and averaging 17 points with about a 60 TS%.

This seems like a really random post just to attack him while he's playing the best basketball that he has all season.

Dragic should not be an All Star, he actually hasn't been good this season and was rewarded for his team being a top 4 seed at the time, which they're now currently 7th in the standings... If that selection was today then Kemba would get it then Simmons would easily be chosen over Dragic in the next selection. Meanwhile Kemba does have better stats, but his team continues to lose and are now 9 games under .500.

(33% from 3 is the same points per shot as shooting 50% from two or 50% from free throw, he's more efficient scoring how he is, although how they defend him may be beneficial)

Agreed that Dragic shouldn’t be an All-Star. But neither should Ben. As to his shooting, it’s not the efficiency point you need to focus on but the gravity point, as you started to get to. He needs to learn to shoot. Period.

As far as Ben’s recent stretch goes, he still has had a number of mediocre games, and in those games he has long stretches of passivity. So... better consistency?
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,924

Post#1782 » by CoreyGallagher » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:21 pm

Well, typically, but with the amount of injures one of them was going to be an All-Star and Simmons deserved it much more than Dragic - isn't even close tbh.
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,723

Post#1783 » by the_process » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:38 pm

Ben comes across as at least somewhat entitled, and there was the unsubstantiated rumor this summer that the Sixers had tried to get Ben to work more on his shot and he refused. If you feed into that by naming him an All-Star, he will take that as confirmation his way is best and never fully commit to the jumper. He needs to have a motivation to change, a chip on his shoulder. To be shown he has more work to do to be amongst the elite players in the game.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,009

Post#1784 » by Bum Adebayo » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:36 pm

the_process wrote:Ben comes across as at least somewhat entitled, and there was the unsubstantiated rumor this summer that the Sixers had tried to get Ben to work more on his shot and he refused. If you feed into that by naming him an All-Star, he will take that as confirmation his way is best and never fully commit to the jumper. He needs to have a motivation to change, a chip on his shoulder. To be shown he has more work to do to be amongst the elite players in the game.

He already has a shot, he just refuses to use it in games because he doesn't need it, maybe if he struggles in playoffs, where defense is more tight and there is less transition scoring, he will start using it.
Great takes since 2024-04-20
Phila Tough
Head Coach
And1: 2,859

Post#1785 » by Phila Tough » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:47 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:
the_process wrote:Ben comes across as at least somewhat entitled, and there was the unsubstantiated rumor this summer that the Sixers had tried to get Ben to work more on his shot and he refused. If you feed into that by naming him an All-Star, he will take that as confirmation his way is best and never fully commit to the jumper. He needs to have a motivation to change, a chip on his shoulder. To be shown he has more work to do to be amongst the elite players in the game.

He already has a shot, he just refuses to use it in games because he doesn't need it, maybe if he struggles in playoffs, where defense is more tight and there is less transition scoring, he will start using it.

Not buying this. The guy is not confident in his shot either way you word it. Ben being able to consistently hit a pull up mid range would make us so much more dangerous. I am confident that this will be a point of emphasis in the off-season. Ben seems like he knows the things that he can accomplish as a player if he puts the work in.
Dundalis
Senior
And1: 543

Post#1786 » by Dundalis » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:01 am

Bum Adebayo wrote:

The idea that any player who could shoot, would choose not to because they don't need to is ridiculous. You would question the bball IQ of any player who thought like that. Thankfully in this case it's pretty obvious Simmons doesn't have the confidence to shoot anymore than a couple of times in any one game, partly because of lack of confidence, but also because he knows any type of high volume jumpshots is more likely to hurt the team than help because he's not going to hit them as often as his teammates. Him not shooting because he doesn't need to is an excuse to deflect attention away from the fact he's not a good shooter.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,191

Re: RE: Re: The Ben Simmons Megathread 

Post#1787 » by eyeatoma » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:25 am

Link to the rumor? Feel like I heard for bit forgot the source...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,531

Post#1788 » by 76ciology » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:29 am

He’s not shooting it because he’s not making it at BB’s standards in practice.

He doesnt need a shot, for now, as long as he is aggressive and find ways to make himself a threat that leads the opponents D to collapse.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
vossy_3
Junior
And1: 134

Post#1789 » by vossy_3 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:49 am

76ciology wrote:He’s not shooting it because he’s not making it at BB’s standards in practice.

He doesnt need a shot, for now, as long as he is aggressive and find ways to make himself a threat that leads the opponents D to collapse.

I would think this is pretty correct...

And there’s no problem with Ben passing up jump shots if it gives a better shooter an open look.
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Post#1790 » by kuclas » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:22 pm

Al i know is the public (nba fans) perception of Ben Simmons went down the tank during Ben’s December 2017 ugly month. He hit the rookie wall or was mentally fatigued from that hack a Ben game vs the wizards (be shot 15 for 29 from free throw line)

But since that New Years eves game against Phoenix Simmons has regain his form. More aggressive

I think it’s a joke people think guys like Donovan Mitchell or Tatum at even in the discussion for rookie of the year

They will use the excuse Simmons isn’t a true rookie. Well. Mitchell played 2 years in college. He got more seasoning in college than Simmons.

Tatum is gonna to be a nice player on a 1 or 2 seeded Boston Team. But he’s not rookie of the year compared to Simmons.

So it comes down to mitchell vs Simmons. And it’s not even close.
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#1791 » by Ericb5 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:58 pm

kuclas wrote:Al i know is the public (nba fans) perception of Ben Simmons went down the tank during Ben’s December 2017 ugly month. He hit the rookie wall or was mentally fatigued from that hack a Ben game vs the wizards (be shot 15 for 29 from free throw line)

But since that New Years eves game against Phoenix Simmons has regain his form. More aggressive

I think it’s a joke people think guys like Donovan Mitchell or Tatum at even in the discussion for rookie of the year

They will use the excuse Simmons isn’t a true rookie. Well. Mitchell played 2 years in college. He got more seasoning in college than Simmons.

Tatum is gonna to be a nice player on a 1 or 2 seeded Boston Team. But he’s not rookie of the year compared to Simmons.

So it comes down to mitchell vs Simmons. And it’s not even close.

The whole thing about Simmons not being a real rookie is stupid. I mean, the award is called the rookie of the year, but what it really is intended to reward is the best player to play his first season in the league.

Sometimes that player is 18, and sometimes that player is 23.

Ben Simmons is the best basketball player to play his first season in the nba this year, and he should be recognized as such, just as Blake Griffin was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheatergriffin
Pro Prospect
And1: 356

Post#1792 » by Cheatergriffin » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:28 am

His instincts on defense are so friggin good. Remember when people questioned him defensively?
ZemGOAT
Veteran
And1: 5,729

Post#1793 » by ZemGOAT » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:26 pm

Theory:
Adam Silver won't vote him in as an All Star because he would be the only one of the Rookie in the All Star game giving him a huge advantage in the ROY race basically ending it early no matter what Tatum or Michell does.
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#1794 » by Ericb5 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:49 pm

Cheatergriffin wrote:His instincts on defense are so friggin good. Remember when people questioned him defensively?

I think that the questions about him defensively were really around whether he could guard positions other than the 4, and he has shown that he can guard 1-4.

There weren't a lot of doubters on his basic defensive instincts and commitment to defending.
smittybanton
Sixth Man
And1: 398

Post#1795 » by smittybanton » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:17 pm

Hit a elbow jimmy last night!
Simmons25
Analyst
And1: 2,235

Post#1796 » by Simmons25 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:03 am

Ericb5 wrote:
Cheatergriffin wrote:His instincts on defense are so friggin good. Remember when people questioned him defensively?

I think that the questions about him defensively were really around whether he could guard positions other than the 4, and he has shown that he can guard 1-4.

There weren't a lot of doubters on his basic defensive instincts and commitment to defending.

Nah there were definitely lots of people doubting his ability and commitment not only to defence but the game in general. Lots of claims that he "quit" and takes plays off. I even got laughed at as late as 4 months ago for suggesting Simmons was already one of our best defenders. People took way too much stock in "experts" on the internet with axes to grind without having spent hours and hours of watching him play entire games not just highlights.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#1797 » by Sixerscan » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:56 am

Simmons25 wrote:
Ericb5 wrote:

Nah there were definitely lots of people doubting his ability and commitment not only to defence but the game in general. Lots of claims that he "quit" and takes plays off. I even got laughed at as late as 4 months ago for suggesting Simmons was already one of our best defenders. People took way too much stock in "experts" on the internet with axes to grind without having spent hours and hours of watching him play entire games not just highlights.

I mean he didn't get in a defensive stance once in college.

I've been pleasantly surprised with his activity level. He's certainly always had the ability to be a great defender.

I'm not sure why people on this board are so obsessed with having successfully predicted everything. There's no prize, guys.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,107

Post#1798 » by Kobblehead » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:03 am

I thought Ben Simmons was the best defender in the SEC alongside maybe Alex Caruso. I never understood the defensive concerns scouts had about him.
agiaco
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#1799 » by agiaco » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:33 am

Getting a little irked that so many people are putting Mitchell ahead of Simmons now. Mitchell is great, but statistically Simmons is still playing better with more of an important role at PG and he's superior defensively. Mitchell is chucking up a ton of shots lately. Am I wrong to be irked? I know the season is far from over, but I don't want to see two (arguably three) of our guys get robbed for rookie of the year.
Cheatergriffin
Pro Prospect
And1: 356

Post#1800 » by Cheatergriffin » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:40 am

agiaco wrote:Getting a little irked that so many people are putting Mitchell ahead of Simmons now. Mitchell is great, but statistically Simmons is still playing better with more of an important role at PG and he's superior defensively. Mitchell is chucking up a ton of shots lately. Am I wrong to be irked? I know the season is far from over, but I don't want to see two (arguably three) of our guys get robbed for rookie of the year.

The only thing Donovan mitchell does better than Ben is score and shoot. I like donovan mitchell alot, but dont see him in the same tier as ben. Bens efficiency and defensive numbers are so advanced for a guy in his first yr. Mitchell only averages 3 pts a game more and takes 3 more shots a game.

Ive come to the conclusion if Simmons doesnt win the rookie of the year its bc of the name on the front and not the name on the back.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers