ImageImageImage

Realistic 2018 Free Agents

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

LongLiveHinkie
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Re: Realistic 2018 Free Agents 

Post#21 » by LongLiveHinkie » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:53 am

Whatever big name free agent that uses the Lakers for leverage in negotiations and spurns them for a team with real promise.
spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 5,984

Post#22 » by spikeslovechild » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:30 am

eagereyez wrote:
76ciology wrote:LeBron

I'd even settle for Paul George. We have enough room to hand out a max offer. If we are forced to settle for a stiff like Avery Bradley then I'll consider that summer a failure.

Agreed Bradley is a treadmill move.

Anyways our future will be dependent on our young players and Embiids health. if they ball FA will be falling over themselves to come here.

If they don't then we may have to settle but I don't think it's unrealistic to expect one of the top five FA available then you sort of have to hope another is willing to come along for the ride. As far as the 30 team comment goes get real very few teams will have the cap space to sign a max free agent let alone two. Plus the Lakers would have to move some stuff around.

Our cap is clean we also have the option of qualifying Embiid moving Bayless and trading/declining Okafor option.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,046

Post#23 » by Sixerscan » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:03 am

Even if you did all that they wouldn't have close to enough space for two guys. Embiid has an $18 million cap hold next summer. They'll probably have to do some of that just to get to one max slot.
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#24 » by Ericb5 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:21 am

spikeslovechild wrote:
eagereyez wrote:

I'd even settle for Paul George. We have enough room to hand out a max offer. If we are forced to settle for a stiff like Avery Bradley then I'll consider that summer a failure.

Anyways our future will be dependent on our young players and Embiids health. if they ball FA will be falling over themselves to come here.

If they don't then we may have to settle but I don't think it's unrealistic to expect one of the top five FA available then you sort of have to hope another is willing to come along for the ride. As far as the 30 team comment goes get real very few teams will have the cap space to sign a max free agent let alone two. Plus the Lakers would have to move some stuff around.

Our cap is clean we also have the option of qualifying Embiid moving Bayless and trading/declining Noel option.

Embiid and Simmons make a treadmill team impossible unless they both need legs amputated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Post#25 » by Kolkmania » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:40 am

spikeslovechild wrote:
eagereyez wrote:

Our cap is clean we also have the option of qualifying Embiid moving Bayless and trading/declining Okafor option.

Bayless, Fultz, Simmons, Saric, Anderson, Korkmaz, Holmes, McConnell and Luwawu are good for 35 million dollars. Robert Covington will (hopefully) agree to a contract extension of let's say somewhere between 12 and 15 million dollars.
I hope you don't want Embiid to sign a QO, but if he's healthy he's well worth the max money which is around 26 million dollars, also we'll get our first round pick (~15th pick is ~2.3 million dollars) and the possibility of the Lakers pick (7th pick is ~ 3.7 million dollars). So this is 75-82 million dollars with declining Okafor's option and losing JJ Redick, Nik Stauskas and Amir Johnson.

The cap is projected at 103 million next year. So, no. We have to make moves or trade assets to have the option to sign max FA's like Paul George. Even then we don't have a very deep roster, because of those moves.

My preference is a more steady approach and see if the trio Embiid, Simmons and Fultz could become our max core. Round out the roster with solid veterans and possible 3&D bargains.

Not sure Avery Bradley fits that mold, depends on his contract situation. I would be very hesitant for anything close to 20 million dollars since his team defense is overrated and it hurts the switching flexibility Embiid, Simmons, Covington and Fultz provides.
Wilfried
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,899

Post#26 » by Wilfried » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:49 am

I started this thread with the idea (hope) that Embiid (healthy), Simmons and Fultz are our big 3.

Going with the fact that next summer is the last summer we could spend money, given the fact that Simmons and Fultz will demand a big salary in 3-4 seasons, I was looking at complementary pieces that play a position that we can use.

SG will be a position we need to fill next summer (with JJ Reddick only a 1 year rental) and given the fact that Bradley is a young, improving 2-way player I feel he's a very nice fit to this team.

He won't command the ball, he can shoot, he can guard 2 positions, he's experienced, ...

A team:
Fultz - Bradley - Covington - Simmons - Embiid ...

That's a great combination of size, playmaking, shooting, defense, ...

I really don't see adding him as a treadmill move. It's not that adding him, is that you're building around him.
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Post#27 » by Kolkmania » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:26 am

Wilfried wrote:I started this thread with the idea (hope) that Embiid (healthy), Simmons and Fultz are our big 3.

Going with the fact that next summer is the last summer we could spend money, given the fact that Simmons and Fultz will demand a big salary in 3-4 seasons, I was looking at complementary pieces that play a position that we can use.

SG will be a position we need to fill next summer (with JJ Reddick only a 1 year rental) and given the fact that Bradley is a young, improving 2-way player I feel he's a very nice fit to this team.

He won't command the ball, he can shoot, he can guard 2 positions, he's experienced, ...

A team:
Fultz - Bradley - Covington - Simmons - Embiid ...

That's a great combination of size, playmaking, shooting, defense, ...

I really don't see adding him as a treadmill move. It's not that adding him, is that you're building around him.

I think that's a nice starting point for a conversation to delimit the endless different possibilities.

Bradley could be a decent option for sure and he fits the mold as a young 3&D guard next to Fultz and Simmons. Question then is at what price is he available and can we use that space for a more well rounded roster with some veteran presence, which we will lose if we don't resign Amir and JJ.

So an alternative could be resigning JJ for a longer, let's say 3 year 36 million dollar deal with a team option in his final year. In a video he released, he expressed the desire to stay for a longer period of time in Philly, avoiding another stressful FA period with his family.
Danny Green could be an option for the SG position as well, offers more versatility on the defensive end but he won't have the BBIQ and playmaking abilities of JJ, he's a bit younger than him though.

There are younger (and more expensive) options around the NBA, with Avery Bradley being one of them. Gary Harris and Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, with the former being unlikely to acquire, but probably the most intriguing one. A relatively cheap shooting guard might be Seth Curry, provides spacing and he's surprisingly decent on the defensive end.

But in the end it's all about maintaining the flexibility to delay the decision. For all we know Nik Stauskas makes another leap and we have a secondary creator off the bench hiding under our nose, same goes for Justin Anderson and Furkan Korkmaz.
mattd13
Senior
And1: 119

Post#28 » by mattd13 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:09 am

it is amazing how many are always looking for a change when they haven't even seen the team play together. on paper it appears the team cam be very good but that depends on so many things it is foolish to be thinking of change. jj, ben, fultz have not even played one game for the team. who knows, maybe jj will have a great year then what. injuries are the biggest concern at this point. rather than trades or free agents, I would rather see how the players we have preform. this team has a great group to look at first. Bradley is surely not the future.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,422

Post#29 » by 76ciology » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:43 pm

Avery Bradley = Willie Green 2.0

JK.. But that's how I really feel.

Reminds me back then when we spent money for Greg Buckner
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Baller1234a
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,714

Post#30 » by Baller1234a » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:27 pm

AB was a great man to man defender but was very weak in team defense (arguably more important)
Bet with Stillwater Celtics will finish 6th or higher in ECF Standings Regular Season(17-18). [WON]
Unbreakable99
General Manager
And1: 3,993

Post#31 » by Unbreakable99 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:52 pm

Right now I'm only looking at either LeBron or George for 2018 and if not them then Klay Thompson in 2019. I wouldn't mind trading for Klay next offseason either. They are the realistic players I want and expect.
Chris76
Sixth Man
And1: 318

Post#32 » by Chris76 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:10 pm

Baller1234a wrote:AB was a great man to man defender but was very weak in team defense (arguably more important)

The Sixers need a guard to defend the elite Pgs.

Redick, Fultz, TLC, TJ, and Stauskus may be able to defend Westbrook, Harden, Curry, and others. Sure no one can stop those guys, but AB has shown he can stay with them.

Stauskus could make himself more valuable, if he could get better at defending Pgs. At 6'6 and ok athleticism, his improved midrange game and good 3pt shooting makes him an option.
Simmons25
Analyst
And1: 2,235

Post#33 » by Simmons25 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:09 pm

I second Klay Thompson. Perfect fit for this team.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,046

Post#34 » by Sixerscan » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:53 pm

Fantasizing about superstars that have shown no interest in Philadelphia signing here was something we did back when the team had no plan to get to contention.

Now that we have the team we do, seems like a waste to go back to that. If Lebron or something wants to sign here next summer, great. But I'm not going to worry too much. Most of these "superstars" won't be at that level when Simmons is 27 years old anyway.

And Bradley would be a great fit for this team. Using cap space on a guy like that is the advantage of having guys on rookie deals.
SF_Warriors
General Manager
And1: 3,794

Post#35 » by SF_Warriors » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:51 pm

the_process wrote:You have to call KD just in case. The 0.1% Hail Mary shot is Paul George. The more realistic guys are Gary Harris or Rodney Hood. Avery Bradley could be in there too, although there's mounting evidence his defense is vastly overrated. And there's always throwing a big offer sheet at Norman Powell.

But FA next summer is going to depend a lot on what happens this year.

Great idea. Gary Harris is one of the more underrated players in the game. He would be a tremendous pick up for this team, and he is young to boot. If I were philly, I would try to price denver out of matching him.
ivysixer2000
General Manager
And1: 2,016

Post#36 » by ivysixer2000 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:12 am

After all this time, I really hope we don't waste money on just some dude.

Rather just keep the money for the future. I certainly hope and don't think BC went to all that trouble to sign JJ and Johnson to 1 year contracts for just AB. It would be so anti-climatic.
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#37 » by Ericb5 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:04 am

76ciology wrote:Avery Bradley = Willie Green 2.0

Bradley is better than that, but considering how much we would have to pay him he may be a similar value.

ivysixer2000
General Manager
And1: 2,016

Post#38 » by ivysixer2000 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:15 pm

Ericb5 wrote:
76ciology wrote:Avery Bradley = Willie Green 2.0

Bradley is better than that, but considering how much we would have to pay him he may be a similar value.

Dreaming about Bron and players on an upper tier, ending up with AB would be like a nightmare to me.....hardly the gold at the end of the rainbow.

Not a bad player, but definitely not someone I would be happy to have on a long term big contract. He just takes away all of our advantages of having Ben at the PG position, I just don't want any long term midgets in the backcourt.
Mrcrockpots
Junior
And1: 172

Post#39 » by Mrcrockpots » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:18 pm

Wow. Guess I'm in the minority here. I'd love to get Avery Bradley on the Sixers. I get that he's not Lebron and he's gonna cost the max, but lets be real here- If Simmons, Embiid and Fultz aren't superstars then we're in big trouble any way. Bradley would be a major upgrade over Redick moving forward, he'd be 28 y/o by the start of the 2018 season with a usage rate of around 20% for his career. It'll be interesting to see how Bradley looks with Detroit this year with significantly more freedom on offense.
spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 5,984

Post#40 » by spikeslovechild » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:26 pm

Kolkmania wrote:
spikeslovechild wrote:
eagereyez wrote:I'd even settle for Paul George. We have enough room to hand out a max offer. If we are forced to settle for a stiff like Avery Bradley then I'll consider that summer a failure.

Bayless, Fultz, Simmons, Saric, Anderson, Korkmaz, Holmes, McConnell and Luwawu are good for 35 million dollars. Robert Covington will (hopefully) agree to a contract extension of let's say somewhere between 12 and 15 million dollars.
I hope you don't want Embiid to sign a QO, but if he's healthy he's well worth the max money which is around 26 million dollars, also we'll get our first round pick (~15th pick is ~2.3 million dollars) and the possibility of the Lakers pick (7th pick is ~ 3.7 million dollars). So this is 75-82 million dollars with declining Okafor's option and losing JJ Redick, Nik Stauskas and Amir Johnson.

The cap is projected at 103 million next year. So, no. We have to make moves or trade assets to have the option to sign max FA's like Paul George. Even then we don't have a very deep roster, because of those moves.

My preference is a more steady approach and see if the trio Embiid, Simmons and Fultz could become our max core. Round out the roster with solid veterans and possible 3&D bargains.

Not sure Avery Bradley fits that mold, depends on his contract situation. I would be very hesitant for anything close to 20 million dollars since his team defense is overrated and it hurts the switching flexibility Embiid, Simmons, Covington and Fultz provides.

No the QO and cap hold will be cheaper then his next extension. The point is you can hold off on signing that extension until after the start of FA.

As far as Covington goes I don't know why some people are obsessed with extending him but like other posters have pointed out we own his bird rights so we can go over the cap to extend him if we want.

Bayless is a guy who can be moved Anderson if he doesn't play better will likely have his 2.5 million club option declined. That cuts around 11 million from that figure.

The cap holds for Covington would be 1.5 million.
The cap hold for Embiid would be 18.3 million
So thats 19.8 million

Then there is
Fultz 8.3
Saric 2.5
Simmons 6.4
Holmes 1.6
TJ 1.6
TLC 1.4

Thats 20.2 million

So at the start of FA if the cap goes up to it's expected figure of 108 million you are looking at 68.6 million spend more then enough to bring in two max free agents.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers