ImageImageImage

Realistic 2018 Free Agents

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

smittybanton
Sixth Man
And1: 398

Re: Realistic 2018 Free Agents 

Post#61 » by smittybanton » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:39 pm

If Joel Embiid can't stay healthy, my number one free agent target would be Nerlens Noel!

Carlisle added that he's already had this conversation with Noel and that Noel is willing to accept the bench role. Carlisle believes that the Mavs best chance of having a winning season would be to start Dirk Nowitzki at the five with Noel acting as his primary backup, which isn't the best news for Noel's fantasy outlook.
smittybanton
Sixth Man
And1: 398

Post#62 » by smittybanton » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:46 pm

Sign Avery Bradley and Nerlens Noel. Draft Miles Bridges.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#63 » by Sixerscan » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:41 pm

I was told that Nerlens would never accept a bench role.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,194

Post#64 » by ProcessDoctor » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:36 pm

In terms of 2018 free agents, KCP and Nerlens (shouldn't have been traded in the first place :banghead: ) are both targets I'd look into. LeBron is possible, but I think CLE moves the pick to keep him happy and he ends up staying.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#65 » by Sixerscan » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:31 am

New projected 18/19 salary cap is $101 million down from 103.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#66 » by BullyKing » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:08 pm

BullyKing wrote:We've all been assuming a contract for Covington in the 12-15 cap hit range but that honestly might be high after the contracts this offseason and after factoring in the 15 million pre-pay using our remaining cap space. But let's assume a cap hit of 12 next year.

That leaves:
Embiid 18.3 cap hold
Covington 12
Fultz 8.4
Simmons 6.4
Saric 2.5
Holmes 1.6
McConnell 1.6
Korkmaz 1.5
TLC 1.5

I'm assuming Okafor is either traded or his 4th year option is not picked but either way there's no chance we're paying him 6 million next year.

That's 53.8 million. Now let's assume another 6.5 million for draft picks (optimistic scenario of Lakers conveying at 6 and our pick around 13). So that's 60.3 million with one cap hold so let's just say 61 million with about 40 million to play with.

I'm assuming Bayless is traded with a 2nd or two for cap space but we can also stretch him for about $3 million. I also believe part of the one year contract with Redick was an agreement on a second contract with the overpay this year accounting for a discount on the back half (which we couldn't do as one contract because of the rule on declining salaries). Would not be surprised to see Redick back on a 2/24 or 3/36 deal. So let's chop 40 million down by another 12. That takes us out of veteran max space but let's be honest, if LeBron or the like says he wants to come here, you thank JJ for his service and sign LeBron. Otherwise, you've got about $25 million to offer a max to one of the RFAs or one of the non-max veterans like Bradley. Sign Bolden, sign Pasecniks, roll into camp.

PG: Fultz (8.4), McConnell (1.6), 13th pick (2.5)
SG: $25 million contract (25), Redick (12), Korkmaz (1.5)
SF: Covington (12), 6th pick (4), TLC (1.5)
PF: Simmons (6.4), Saric (2.5), Bolden (1)
C: Embiid (18.3 (ultimately bigger but this is for cap purposes), Holmes (1.6), Pasceniks (1.3)

99.6 before signing Embiid to his new contract so right on the line between needing to dump Bayless vs. stretching him. Since we'd likely just sell the 2nds anyway, makes more sense to pay the price to lose the last year of his contract if possible even if we have to take back a smaller expiring contract along with it. It might get tight at certain points but this also assumes an optimistically realistic view of where the draft choices land. And if we need a little more space at any point, McConnell, TLC, and Korkmaz are all expendable but easily moveable.

So this is kind worthless in light of the Embiid extension. I wonder if the plan is to now try and preserve cap space for 2019 when Klay, Butler, and Middleton are all scheduled to be unrestricted free agents. Sign Redick for another year as a stop-gap. Without doing any in-depth analysis yet, we should have enough space even with Embiid's extension since Fultz, Simmons, and Saric aren't due for extensions yet and Balyess and Okafor will be off the books.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 5,990

Post#67 » by spikeslovechild » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:30 pm

Sixerscan wrote:I was told that Nerlens would never accept a bench role.

Dirk is on borrowed time.

Different situation also after RFA he can't afford to piss off a potential suitor
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#68 » by Sixerscan » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:43 pm

spikeslovechild wrote:

Different situation also after RFA he can't afford to piss off a potential suitor

But he would have wanted to piss off those suitors if he was the backup on the Sixers?

There was a lot of huffing and puffing about Noel not accepting a back up role, doesn't seem to be a lot of evidence for it. There does however seem to be mounting evidence that he can handle it.
Mrcrockpots
Junior
And1: 172

Post#69 » by Mrcrockpots » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:03 pm

If our terrible transition defense continues into the regular season, I wonder how many people will rethink signing Avery Bradley this offseason.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,107

Post#70 » by Kobblehead » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:11 pm

Mrcrockpots wrote:If our terrible transition defense continues into the regular season, I wonder how many people will rethink signing Avery Bradley this offseason.

Avery Bradley hasn't posted a positive DBPM in five years. And with his size, he doesn't offer any defensive versatility in terms of being able to switch onto bigger players. Not sure he's a very good team defender, either. Basically, I think he's tremendously overrated defensively.
spikeslovechild
RealGM

Post#71 » by spikeslovechild » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:24 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
spikeslovechild wrote:

But he would have wanted to piss off those suitors if he was the backup on the Sixers?

There was a lot of huffing and puffing about Noel not accepting a back up role, doesn't seem to be a lot of evidence for it. There does however seem to be mounting evidence that he can handle it.

Is it that he can handle it or is it that he is being forced to handle it? He has no other option.

Heck, no team even offered him a contract.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#72 » by Sixerscan » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:34 pm

spikeslovechild wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
spikeslovechild wrote:

Is it that he can handle it or is it that he is being forced to handle it? He has no other option.

Which is exactly what I said would happen if someone made him to be a back up. He would be a professional and do it. You were the one acting like he wouldn't accept it.

Of course he wants to start. Every player does. At this point he backed up Embiid for a month without issue, he came off the bench for Dallas last year, and now he's doing it again.

I don't get the beef you have with the guy. It seems personal? Did you meet him and he was a jerk to you or something?
JojoSlimbiid
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,229

Post#73 » by JojoSlimbiid » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:39 pm

Backing up a 39 to be 40 year old legend =/ backing up a guy 1 year older than you and several times better than you. Not sure why you're equating the two.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#74 » by Sixerscan » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:49 pm

JojoSlimbiid wrote:Backing up a 39 to be 40 year old legend =/ backing up a guy 1 year older than you and several times better than you. Not sure why you're equating the two.

I'm asking what is the evidence that he wouldn't have been ok backing up Embiid? He did it for a month without issue. I understand that he complained about being third string/not playing at all but when he was getting regular playing time it was fine.

I understand that some people have decided that he wouldn't accept that role. I'm not sure why they decided that.
spikeslovechild
RealGM

Post#75 » by spikeslovechild » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:34 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
spikeslovechild wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:

Which is exactly what I said would happen if someone made him to be a back up. He would be a professional and do it. You were the one acting like he wouldn't accept it.

Of course he wants to start. Every player does. At this point he backed up Embiid for a month without issue, he came off the bench for Dallas last year, and now he's doing it again.

I don't get the beef you have with the guy. It seems personal? Did you meet him and he was a jerk to you or something?

You saw after his contract offer was rescinded the rest of the league laughed at him. I don't think he is well liked outside of a very small vocal portion of our fanbase.

As to why it was never deeply personnel there are certain players you can just not stand as a fan he was one of those players. As to why well entitlement for one. Lack of maturity for another. Not developing his game and seeming to be sort of fine with it. Over inflated self worth. Like his comments after 9 minutes. Not putting in the work when it comes to the NBA and building his body. Then the lack of loyalty to the Sixers for taking you when you were injured and then immediately playing you major minutes then tweaking fans suggesting you'd rather join the celtics.

So yeah I'm glad he's gone. Plus if he was willing to accept a backup role and being paid backup money he would have taken the Mavericks offer. He wants the max. That doesn't indicate to me someone who is fine with a backup role unless your contention is he is fine with being paid the max as a backup :lol:
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#76 » by Sixerscan » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:47 pm

spikeslovechild wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
spikeslovechild wrote:

You saw after his contract offer was rescinded the rest of the league laughed at him. I don't think he is well liked outside of a very small vocal portion of our fanbase.

As to why it was never deeply personnel there are certain players you can just not stand as a fan he was one of those players. As to why well entitlement for one. Lack of maturity for another. Not developing his game and seeming to be sort of fine with it. Over inflated self worth. Like his comments after 9 minutes. Then the lack of loyalty to the Sixers for taking you when you were injured and then immediately playing you major minutes then tweaking fans suggesting you'd rather join the celtics.

So yeah I'm glad he's gone. Plus if he was willing to accept a backup role and being paid backup money he would have taken the Mavericks offer. He wants the max. That doesn't indicate to me someone who is fine with a backup role unless your contention is he is fine with being paid the max as a backup :lol:

"The league laughed at him" what? This is just a weird personal thing. Embiid has called him his best friend, Embiid seems likeable enough.

Yeah he had a problem with being the third string center and was barely playing. Once he got to be the backup he was fine, and he's been fine being the back up in Dallas.

I wouldn't have cared if he was here long term. Not everyone on the team has to be locked in for the next decade, especially bench players. Here are some other people that probably won't be here long term: Justin Anderson, Jahlil Okafor, Amir Johnson.

Worst case is he leaves in free agency for nothing, which is basically the same as what you traded him for.
spikeslovechild
RealGM

Post#77 » by spikeslovechild » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:16 am

Read on Twitter
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#78 » by Sixerscan » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:21 am

That's two people and anyway does that have to do with not liking him? He made a dumb decision, I certainly have friends that have made dumb decisions. You're just looking for stuff, just like you're looking for reasons why he wouldn't come off the bench.
spikeslovechild
RealGM

Post#79 » by spikeslovechild » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:13 pm

Sixerscan wrote:That's two people and anyway does that have to do with not liking him? He made a dumb decision, I certainly have friends that have made dumb decisions. You're just looking for stuff, just like you're looking for reasons why he wouldn't come off the bench.

I'm not looking for reasons and that wasn't the only reason I gave.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,726

Post#80 » by the_process » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:01 pm

Pissed off Noel on a QO as a backup/insurance policy >>> Giving Noel away for a fake 1st and JAG Anderson.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers