ImageImageImage

Season Opener : Sixers @ Wizards - Wednesday Oct. 18 - 7PM EST!!

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

cksdayoff
RealGM
And1: 3,636

Re: Season Opener : Sixers @ Wizards - Wednesday Oct. 18 - 7PM EST!! 

Post#1001 » by cksdayoff » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:13 am

Unbreakable99 wrote:He shoots normally on his shots not on the foul line though.

maybe his range is out to 12 feet, where he can shoot the ball without hurting his shoulder. the only jumpers he has taken were within 12 feet of the basket so far, but yeah, wtf is going on Image
#failforfultz
Unbreakable99
General Manager
And1: 3,993

Post#1002 » by Unbreakable99 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:21 am

cksdayoff wrote:
Unbreakable99 wrote:He shoots normally on his shots not on the foul line though.

maybe his range is out to 12 feet, where he can shoot the ball without hurting his shoulder. the only jumpers he has taken were within 12 feet of the basket so far, but yeah, wtf is going on Image

Well I say just sit him out until he can shoot free throws with the same form from college. I can’t look at that ugly form anymore.
Cheatergriffin
Pro Prospect
And1: 356

Post#1003 » by Cheatergriffin » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:24 am

Beal and oubre killed the 6ers tonight. Beal was lights out towards end of last season and started off good tonight. He might be the best 2 in the east. Oubre had one of his best games of his career.

Proud of young guys tonight. They took an unquestionable top 3-4 team in east to the wire who's chemistry is alot more developed than our squads.

Regardless,felt good to watch october basketball and actually give a damn about a win or loss.
broseph13
Senior
And1: 170

Post#1004 » by broseph13 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:29 am

BC should have stayed at #3 and selected either DSJ, Monk, or Jackson. I have a feeling selecting Fultz #1 is going to come back and bite us in the you know what...
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,924

Post#1005 » by CoreyGallagher » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:46 am

broseph13 wrote:BC should have stayed at #3 and selected either DSJ, Monk, or Jackson. I have a feeling selecting Fultz #1 is going to come back and bite us in the you know what...

Tbf, Fultz didn’t look bad tonight and two of those players did.
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
Unbreakable99
General Manager
And1: 3,993

Post#1006 » by Unbreakable99 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:53 am

CoreyGallagher wrote:
broseph13 wrote:BC should have stayed at #3 and selected either DSJ, Monk, or Jackson. I have a feeling selecting Fultz #1 is going to come back and bite us in the you know what...

If Fultz takes the shots he took in summer league he’ll be fine.
spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 5,901

Post#1007 » by spikeslovechild » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:46 am

TTP wrote:
spikeslovechild wrote:
TTP wrote:
??? at the bolded.

Amir is 71% within 3 feet for his career over a massive sample while taking over half his shots there. He definitely had two terrible possessions in the paint tonight but he has a huge track record of success inside, so I'm not worried going forward.

I am Noel scores around 71% of his scoring within 3 feet that doesn't mean I want plays run for him inside. Amir Johnson averages 8.3 shots per 36. He can be useful if used correctly in a limited offensive role but expand beyond that and you run into trouble.

I don't disagree with this. However, that still doesn't mean he struggles to finish in traffic. Richaun finishes well in traffic, but shouldn't have plays drawn up for him either outside of PnR.

Also, Amir had a pretty bad game by his standards but regarding your "invisible things" comment...

Amir is the type of player that you're never going to appreciate if you don't watch what happens away from the ball (or don't appreciate its value) or only value box score stats. He's literally the anti-Okafor in that regard. It is not surprising to me in the least when a person that values (or formerly valued) Jahlil Okafor doesn't think much of Amir.

When you don't have the ball in your hands, you need to figure out other ways to be useful. Amir spends seemingly half of every offensive possession putting his body on guys, screening to create space for others. We haven't had a big doing that properly in ages. He's going to make us much more effective in PnR and also help our perimeter shooters get many more open looks with off-ball screens.

This next one is more speculative and difficult to prove, but I'd imagine that Amir is better than most at knowing how to space and position within the offense. This is an overlooked skill because it happens away from the ball and it's usually a teammate benefiting so you might only notice when someone messes up (like Fultz tonight). Okafor, and even Saric, struggle with this a lot, often dragging their defenders close to teammates. It doesn't show in the box score but I'd imagine this is another reason that offenses are frequently better with Amir on the floor.

Defense is a bit more obvious, and while defensive metrics are still pretty rough, Amir has crushed them his entire career. He might not have been great tonight, but he should be a huge asset on that end this year.

Look Amir is a good player I'm not denying that. Is he a 11 million player no but I do see him do the little things like set screens, run the pick and roll, and be active on defense and the glass. My optimism for Okafor was
always centered around him learning to do those things because it's not like it's some innate skill it's something a player chooses to do or doesn't and centers don't really have the option. The hard stuff like having a decent looking J being able to score inside being physically gifted he already posses.

But lets not make it about Okafor because it really isn't. They could have put E Okafor out there and he would have been more effective. We needed a big body to match up with Gortat period whether that was Okafor or someone else I don't care but it can't be Amir. He's not capable of defending Gortat not because he's defensive deficient but because Gortat is a legit 7 footer and Amir Johnson is 6-9.

I just don't understand the logic of putting Amir in that position and putting the team in that position when there are other options. I don't get it. Maybe Brown will explain it in a way that makes sense but it sort of makes me question his skill as a coach because this was always going to end one way.
spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 5,901

Post#1008 » by spikeslovechild » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:51 am

CoreyGallagher wrote:

He looked out of control at times better then in games past year but the main question still remains why the f is he not taking J's. Why hasn't he attempted a three point shot?

I mean if we wanted to draft a player similar to what he is doing now we could have stayed at three and drafted fox. We drafted him because of his supposed elite shooting. I was willing to give him a pass earlier because he blamed his shoulder according to the report I heard on ESPN broadcast the team checked his shoulder and found nothing.
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1009 » by CoreyGallagher » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:03 am

Maybe it’s because of how much we’re analyzing that it seems like he’s gone a lifetime without taking a jump shot, but he only played 47 minutes in preseason. Wouldn’t surprise me if the off shooting game then and all the criticism he’s gotten recently is making him overly cautious for now. I think he just has to get his confidence back. If you look at his shooting in SL, his form was as it is now.
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
eso3
Sophomore
And1: 75

Post#1010 » by eso3 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:06 am

I liked what I saw from Fultz. A little shaky and little slow to get into the speed of the game, but I liked his agressiveness. Give him time.

Joel was meh (we have high expectations for him, right?) and Simmons looked poised for his first NBA games.

Does this mean Darío will be our 6thman? I know Brett tried this lineup in the preaseason, but I wasn’t sold on the Simmons-Convington pair.

Ps: English is not my first language, I hope it wasn’t hard to understand

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
Simmons25
Analyst
And1: 2,235

Post#1011 » by Simmons25 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:16 am

eso3 wrote:Does this mean Darío will be our 6thman? I know Brett tried this lineup in the preaseason, but I wasn’t sold on the Simmons-Convington pair.

If Dario keeps playing like he did that game he won't even be out 7th or 8th man. I have faith though that he just had an off night.

Covington is absolutely the perfect foil for Simmons. You need a 3pt shooter than can also defend guards.
Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 10,060

Post#1012 » by Slartibartfast » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:20 am

Outsider looking in, I thought you guys looked pretty good tonight. Simmons is incredible in transition - the rest of the guys need to box out and let him grab them because he's a blur in grab and go. Was really good going right in screen actions too - even going under Porter couldn't keep up with him.

Fultz had some major problems with their length early but he's remarkably quick off the bounce. Boggles my mind that you guys don't run more PNR actions - Embiid dribble isos from behind the 3-point line are just TOs waiting to happen and so many possessions just ended in 3pt chucks.

Embiid is obviously a total beast, but playing with Okafor seems to have gotten him into some bad habits. He should be in PNR and PNP actions all day long, not crossing people over 25 feet from the hoop (not that that almost monster dunk on Gortat in the opening minutes wasn't amazing).

Redick really struggled with Beal - thought that was the biggest problem for you guys down the stretch. Wall had the big moments but he was also half trainwreck with his decision making.
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1013 » by CoreyGallagher » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:20 am

Simmons25 wrote:
eso3 wrote:Does this mean Darío will be our 6thman? I know Brett tried this lineup in the preaseason, but I wasn’t sold on the Simmons-Convington pair.

If Dario keeps playing like he did that game he won't even be out 7th or 8th man. I have faith though that he just had an off night.

Covington is absolutely the perfect foil for Simmons. You need a 3pt shooter than can also defend guards.

Giannis and Simmons really lucked out. Middleton and Covington are the quintessential complimentary players for them.
ivysixer2000
General Manager
And1: 2,009

Post#1014 » by ivysixer2000 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:22 am

eyeatoma wrote:
ivysixer2000 wrote:Embiid's defensive intensity just wasnt that good, really.

This is what I've been saying... He is having difficulty bringing it... I'm telling you his conditioning isn't where it needs to be... I'm starting to get why the sixers have him on a minutes limit. He normally rotates so quickly, and he hasn't done that often at all in the games I've seen him play...

I agree, Jojo just isn't in basketball shape. Sure he's been getting stronger and bigger by lifting, running, and such. But he's not in NBA shape...yet.

The Process will take a lil while to get into basketball shape, cause he did look a lil lazy at times out there. Some may think he was holding back to prevent injury, but he wasn't, he's not the kind that holds back. He was just tired.

Putting up 18/13 in those limited minutes, in bad shape, is special. All we can do is wait for him to actually be in shape to see what will happen. One encouraging thing was he really looked like he was stronger in his landings, even if he is out of basketball shape. I didn't see him land as awkwardly as in the past, so we should be very, very happy about that.
sixers4real
Veteran
And1: 1,893

Post#1015 » by sixers4real » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:23 am

It felt great to finally root for the win and never even have a second thought about loosing and getting better pick in the end. The last time I felt so in 2012 Playoffs. Rooting for the WIN
We were close. It sucks that we have a tough schedule in the begging of the year and could go 1-7 or so. But the talent is obviously there. When we'll get the chemistry, and IF we stay healthy, this be a scary team in 2-3 months from now. Looking forward for Friday game against the Celtics. I want to Sixers to win that one badly. Although I feel very sorry for Hayward.
Sixers fan since 2001. From Russia.
Simmons25
Analyst

Post#1016 » by Simmons25 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:25 am

Slartibartfast wrote:Fultz had some major problems with their length early but he's remarkably quick off the bounce. Boggles my mind that you guys don't run more PNR actions - Embiid dribble isos from behind the 3-point line are just TOs waiting to happen and so many possessions just ended in 3pt chucks.

Embiid is obviously a total beast, but playing with Okafor seems to have gotten him into some bad habits. He should be in PNR and PNP actions all day long, not crossing people over 25 feet from the hoop (not that that almost monster dunk on Gortat in the opening minutes wasn't amazing).

I agree 100%. I think it's going to be an adjustment for Embiid as well. Last year he was pretty much the only player we had capable of creating his own shot.... and he would just get the ball and go to work. He is surrounded by much more scoring talent now... he doesn't have to do it all.

It actually reminded me a bit of how Embiid started last year... where he looked clumsy at times and turned the ball over lots. I think once he gets his legs under him and gets used to his teammates he will be better for it. Prior to tonight he had only spent 28 minutes with the other guys on court.

There was 1 PNR between Fultz and Embiid that got him a very easy dunk in the last quarter. Eventually that's got to become the bread and butter for how Embiid scores.
PLO
Analyst
And1: 1,305

Post#1017 » by PLO » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:38 am

Rewatching the game we got baked by the refs. If this is the way the home calls are going to go all season, fair enough things will balance out over the season.
LakersDynasty14 wrote:Lonzo Ball is literally on a Hall of Fame trajectory at this point. This thread is so full of fail.

shakes0 wrote:I hope they put Simmons on Trae. He'll foul him out by the 3rd quarter. plus Simmons can't stay in front of Trae. No one can.
Simmons25
Analyst

Post#1018 » by Simmons25 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:51 am

PLO wrote:Rewatching the game we got baked by the refs. If this is the way the home calls are going to go all season, fair enough things will balance out over the season.

To be fair it sounded like a Sixers home game.
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Post#1019 » by Kolkmania » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:14 am

Simmons25 wrote:
Slartibartfast wrote:Fultz had some major problems with their length early but he's remarkably quick off the bounce. Boggles my mind that you guys don't run more PNR actions - Embiid dribble isos from behind the 3-point line are just TOs waiting to happen and so many possessions just ended in 3pt chucks.

I agree 100%. I think it's going to be an adjustment for Embiid as well. Last year he was pretty much the only player we had capable of creating his own shot.... and he would just get the ball and go to work. He is surrounded by much more scoring talent now... he doesn't have to do it all.

It actually reminded me a bit of how Embiid started last year... where he looked clumsy at times and turned the ball over lots. I think once he gets his legs under him and gets used to his teammates he will be better for it. Prior to tonight he had only spent 28 minutes with the other guys on court.

There was 1 PNR between Fultz and Embiid that got him a very easy dunk in the last quarter. Eventually that's got to become the bread and butter for how Embiid scores.

Absolutely true. Those pump fake, jab step and crossover drive into a pull up jumper possessions have to go. Not only is it inefficient and kills the flow of the offense it puts him in unnecessary risky situations.

Embiid struggled a bit tonight, especially on the defensive end. He sagged down way too much in the P&R plays so Wall and Beal could drive to the rim and had all the space to dump it off to Gortat. Part of this is he's just too heavy for me at the moment and therefore he lost a bit of mobility in comparison with last year, part of it is conditioning.

Fans and Embiid himself should be patient and slowly ramp up his minutes, don't force it and play him too much. Increases injury risk and also decreases the actual value of Embiid on the court since he's far less effective when he's tired.
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Post#1020 » by Kolkmania » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:21 am

76ciology wrote:
James40 wrote:Wall is one of the quickest players in the league, the only guy not a step slower is probably Westbrook, so he’s gonna score 23-25 every night, because he’s a volume shooter. I just can’t be disappointed when Wall scores a bunch, same for Beal really.

Fultz needs to play, if preseason and practicing hasn’t worked, let him play 30 minutes a night and maybe that’ll get his mind off his crappy shooting form. Just play, he’s our future, Bayless isn’t.

Team played best with Bayless. 13/3/3 +11. The second unit killed us tonight. +/- aside, TLC, TJ, Dario and Amir were Horrible

Classic example of +/- flaws without context. Bayless played exclusively with the starting unit, who faced the bench unit for a couple of stretches. Those where the moments that the Sixers made a run, but that had nothing to do with Bayless who played really poor imo (aside from a short stint in the 4th).

spikeslovechild wrote:
76ciology wrote:
cksdayoff wrote:i remember one nauseating sequence where tj drove to the basket, should've went up strong and layed it up but he decides to dribble out of the paint and pass it to roco who throws a mcnabb wormburner pass to redick that doesn't go anywhere near redick but goes out of bounds instead.

lol

I think he got paranoid with Wall's chase down ability

TJ was awful tonight. Had no answer for wall on defense and was an actual zero on offense.

On that particular play TJ should have went for the layup, but he probably thought that someone was breathing in his neck for the block. If not for that awful pass of Covington that play lead to a wide open three point shot for JJ.

Think this play is illustrative of TJ's influence on the Sixers on the offensive end. When he's on the court he drives, which makes the defense rotate and it's not like TJ is racking up points and assists, but because of the scrambling defense the quality of the shots we get skyrocket.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers