ImageImageImage

Season Opener : Sixers @ Wizards - Wednesday Oct. 18 - 7PM EST!!

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,807

Re: Season Opener : Sixers @ Wizards - Wednesday Oct. 18 - 7PM EST!! 

Post#961 » by Mik317 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:56 am

RECAP TIME.

Fun game. With time and reps, I think some of the jank will smooth out (some not all). I think lineups should be staggered a bit more (ie a shooter must be on the floor at all times). But the Wizards have two really really good guards and Gortat is a Sixer killer and also a huge human being which has given JoJo some issues in the past. Some kinks to work out for sure...BUT for the first time in a long time I watched Sixers basketball and felt good about life afterwards lol

Embiid: You know you are good when you can drop 18/13 and have a bad night. Still he looked sluggish at times and his decision making was poooor. Too many 3s when they weren't falling. But he will work his way into it again...he did miss a lot of reps this offseason after all.

Simmons: Looked great. I was shook after that preseason but yeah this is the Simmons I expected to see. I expect peeps to go under screens soon; so he will need to show some jumper ...but then again dude is huge. Embiid makes it hard to see but Simmons is big and solid...Frazier damn near died at one point bouncing off of him. Also low key was nice defensively at points tonight (boxscore doesn't show that tho lol).

Fultz: Better than I expected/feared. The elephant in the room is that form tho. someone needs to get to the bottom of it ffs. Still I like that he attacked and didn't force things. For the peeps asking for him to shoot jumpers.,...nah. there weren't any good looks and I'd rather he not force it. He played within the offense and until hefinds his footing that is all I ask of him. THAT being said, he needs more court awareness as he was often breaking plays by being out of position or in the way. Again more reps will hopefully fix that. Again solid on defense at times...Wall and Beal are tough covers tho.

Cov: Still the best....until he dribbles lol. Cov needs to lose a lot of the junk from his game that we sadly needed in the past and when he did, he was great. Not going to shoot this well all the time (or maybe he will who knows) but yeah..Cov was Cov.

Dario: The Invisible man tonight. Dude looks gasssssed. Playing him at the 5 did him no favors either. Again, like Cov, he needs to lose some jank from his game as we need more structured offense going forward...but tonight he just didn't have it.

JJ: Going to be solid for us all year...defensively we will need to hide him a bit. Luckily Beal and Harden are pretty much the only 2s in the league right now (lol). Watching him work off ball is super fun, he used Fultz as a speed boost at one point, it was crazy.

Bayless: New Bald guy with a beard to hate yall. His 4th qrt almost made up for his game but those TOs were killer. Can't have your "vets" out there making dumb mistakes. I don't mid him taking open shots or even semi contested ones off passes but he should never create for himself...naw son naw.

TJ: Kinda was just out there honestly. Passing up on the layup needs to not happen this year TEEJ. Him and Fultz is a awkward pairing.

TLC: Did some nice things. Hit a few shots. Cut to the rim. Was often lost on defense and also on offense...again probably the lack of reps.

Amir: Good first half in terms of doing the little things. The wheels fell off the thirs quarter. He should never be an option on offense so cut out those post ups pronto.

Brett: Thisis a big year for him. I think he managed Embiid pretty well (probably waited too long to get him back in but whatever). but rotations need to be tighter this year. Also let the game get out of control there but that could be due to simply having less TOs overall...

again fun game. Not going to lose my **** over close losses to good teams..then again my expectations aren't as high as others...young teams don't win or at the very least lose a lot of close games...although it was our vets who lost this one for us today.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,528

Post#962 » by 76ciology » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:57 am

cksdayoff wrote:
spikeslovechild wrote:
cksdayoff wrote:amir fouled out in 15 minutes. im dead lmao

If Brett Brown benched Okafor then he needs to have his head examined. Most nights Amir has the better matchup this game Amir was so undersized it just made zero sense to put him out there against Gortat.

amir was just bad all around, he airballed most of his shots too. okafor might be a turnstile but he'd probably put up a couple of points. maybe grab a board or two. all in hindsight though. in the game thread, i didn't want okafor stepping on the court :lol:

:lol:

You need both being drunk and being a prokafor to have the guts to pull the trigger.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#963 » by 76ciology » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:59 am

Wall was also just too quick for Fultz. Two instances were that cross over that he made to make Fultz dance and the uncontested oop.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 5,990

Post#964 » by spikeslovechild » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:59 am

cksdayoff wrote:
spikeslovechild wrote:
cksdayoff wrote:amir fouled out in 15 minutes. im dead lmao

If Brett Brown benched Okafor then he needs to have his head examined. Most nights Amir has the better matchup this game Amir was so undersized it just made zero sense to put him out there against Gortat.

amir was just bad all around, he airballed most of his shots too. okafor might be a turnstile but he'd probably put up a couple of points. maybe grab a board or two. all in hindsight though. in the game thread, i didn't want okafor stepping on the court :lol:

He'd at least be able to put a body on Gortat. Amir was just so overmatched physically not his fault really he's a PF who can match up against 90% of centers but a old school center like Gortat needs a big body on him. Embiid was really the only guy who stayed with him. Amir was just awful.
Simmons25
Analyst
And1: 2,235

Post#965 » by Simmons25 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:59 am

Mik317 wrote:Embiid: You know you are good when you can drop 18/13 and have a bad night. Still he looked sluggish at times and his decision making was poooor. Too many 3s when they weren't falling. But he will work his way into it again...he did miss a lot of reps this offseason after all.

For me Embiid's defense was the biggest issue today... and that is an effort thing which is worrying. I think he was sulking a bit tonight.

Mik317 wrote:Simmons: Looked great. I was shook after that preseason but yeah this is the Simmons I expected to see. I expect peeps to go under screens soon; so he will need to show some jumper ...but then again dude is huge. Embiid makes it hard to see but Simmons is big and solid...Frazier damn near died at one point bouncing off of him. Also low key was nice defensively at points tonight (boxscore doesn't show that tho lol)

Interesting... what about Simmons preseason "shook" you up? I thought he looked pretty damn impressive all pre-season?
cksdayoff
RealGM
And1: 3,636

Post#966 » by cksdayoff » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:00 am

dario was an offensive zero. just looked slow and out of touch.
tj should be the third pg off the bench, he shouldn't be running the second unit
#failforfultz
51X3RF4N
Lead Assistant
And1: 935

Post#967 » by 51X3RF4N » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:02 am

I am starting to think you just put Biid, Simmons, Fultz, Covington out there with another 3 and D wing who can cover 1-3, and just roll. There really needs to be better defense against the likes of Beal and Wall.

JJ and JB are not necessary, and are liabilities. Keep the ball in the hands of the 3 stars, run the 2 wings off screens on offense, and everyone plays tough defense. That wins games.
Your Future Sixers

C- Embiid/?
PF- ?/?
SF- ?/?
SG- ?/?
PG- ?/?
cksdayoff
RealGM

Post#968 » by cksdayoff » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:04 am

51X3RF4N wrote:I am starting to think you just put Biid, Simmons, Fultz, Covington out there with another 3 and D wing who can cover 1-3, and just roll. There really needs to be better defense against the likes of Beal and Wall.

JJ and JB are not necessary, and are liabilities. Keep the ball in the hands of the 3 stars, run the 2 wings off screens on offense, and everyone plays tough defense. That wins games.

JJ needs to be out there with the starting unit. if you want a 3 & D wing, TLC is an option but he's not there yet
#failforfultz
cksdayoff
RealGM

Post#969 » by cksdayoff » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:07 am

76ciology wrote:

You need both being drunk and being a prokafor to have the guts to pull the trigger.

trying to come back and win the game, we probably need someone like okafor's interior offense, but then again the wizards were basically participating in layup drills the entire night and i have no faith in okafor's d.
#failforfultz
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#970 » by Ericb5 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:10 am

spikeslovechild wrote:
Unbreakable99 wrote:
LongLiveHinkie wrote:
Read on Twitter

Go SIXERS!

Unleash the beast. I like it. I may be in the minority. It I don’t want restrictions. It I know why they do it. Players are more prone to getting hurt when they are tired. It Embiid wants to play. Let when the beast play.

My opinion is we need to look out for his health and save him from himself.

Perhaps, but the yanking him back and forth on an unnatural cycle of a few minutes on and a few minutes off carries its own risks.

I think we will get there. 28-32 is enough for him to dominate games. That is 7-8 minutes per quarter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
76ciology
RealGM

Post#971 » by 76ciology » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:10 am

cksdayoff wrote:
76ciology wrote:

trying to come back and win the game, we probably need someone like okafor's interior offense, but then again the wizards were basically participating in layup drills the entire night and i have no faith in okafor's d.

To be fair. I think Okafor would have done a better job than Saric ON BOTH ENDS
cksdayoff
RealGM

Post#972 » by cksdayoff » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:13 am

76ciology wrote:
cksdayoff wrote:
76ciology wrote:

To be fair. I think Okafor would have done a better job than Saric ON BOTH ENDS

true. it's just dumb for a player to play pro-ball in the summer. no amount of conditioning can prepare you for an 82 game season AND euro league ball. i'm assuming it's saric's duty to play for his country but if there was a way out of it, then he should've declined.
#failforfultz
spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 5,990

Post#973 » by spikeslovechild » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:14 am

cksdayoff wrote:
76ciology wrote:

I don't either but Amir had no chance he gave up at least 4 inches and like 30lbs. He can't score enough to hurt them on the offensive side.

If not Okafor then we need find another big body so we aren't abused by bigger centers when Embiid is out. Like I said Amir can handle 90 percent of NBA centers.
James40
Veteran
And1: 1,048

Post#974 » by James40 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:14 am

Wall is one of the quickest players in the league, the only guy not a step slower is probably Westbrook, so he’s gonna score 23-25 every night, because he’s a volume shooter. I just can’t be disappointed when Wall scores a bunch, same for Beal really.

Fultz needs to play, if preseason and practicing hasn’t worked, let him play 30 minutes a night and maybe that’ll get his mind off his crappy shooting form. Just play, he’s our future, Bayless isn’t.
cksdayoff
RealGM

Post#975 » by cksdayoff » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:15 am

spikeslovechild wrote:
cksdayoff wrote:
76ciology wrote:

I don't either but Amir had no chance he gave up at least 4 inches and like 30lbs. He can't score enough to hurt them on the offensive side.

If not Okafor then we need find another big body so we aren't abused by bigger centers when Embiid is out. Like I said Amir can handle 90 percent of NBA centers.

Jonah Bolden
#failforfultz
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,924

Post#976 » by CoreyGallagher » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:17 am

Fultz looked more comfortable than I thought he would, he didn’t seem to be second guessing everything like it seemed like he was doing in preseason. I think he’ll be starting sooner rather than later, especially with Bayless not playing like the vet he’s supposed to be.
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#977 » by 76ciology » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:18 am

James40 wrote:Wall is one of the quickest players in the league, the only guy not a step slower is probably Westbrook, so he’s gonna score 23-25 every night, because he’s a volume shooter. I just can’t be disappointed when Wall scores a bunch, same for Beal really.

Fultz needs to play, if preseason and practicing hasn’t worked, let him play 30 minutes a night and maybe that’ll get his mind off his crappy shooting form. Just play, he’s our future, Bayless isn’t.

Team played best with Bayless. 13/3/3 +11. The second unit killed us tonight. +/- aside, TLC, TJ, Dario and Amir were Horrible
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,924

Post#978 » by CoreyGallagher » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:20 am

76ciology wrote:Team played best with Bayless. The second unit killed us tonight. +/- aside, TLC, Dario and Amir were Horrible

To me Amir looks skilled enough that he’d play really well against similarly sized guys, but when he’s physically outmatched, it’s very obvious, as it was tonight.

Holmes would have been nice.
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
cksdayoff
RealGM

Post#979 » by cksdayoff » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:20 am

CoreyGallagher wrote:Fultz looked more comfortable than I thought he would, he didn’t seem to be second guessing everything like it seemed like he was doing in preseason. I think he’ll be starting sooner rather than later, especially with Bayless not playing like the vet he’s supposed to be.

i want fultz to run the second unit. there should be an offensive balance between the starting five and the backups. at least for now
#failforfultz
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,807

Post#980 » by Mik317 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:21 am

Fultz played within the offense (as struggly as it may have been at times) and took generally good shots and kept the mistakes to a minimum.

Its all I could ask for from him right now. Hopefully with time, things slow down and he can start to impose his will more.
#NeverGonnaBeGood

Return to Philadelphia 76ers