ImageImageImage

Markelle Fultz Discussion II

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

cksdayoff
RealGM
And1: 3,636

Re: Markelle Fultz Discussion II 

Post#1381 » by cksdayoff » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:59 pm

“We challenge him a little bit,” Robert Covington said. “Even though he’s not playing, he still has to see what’s happening. He’s doing a good job. We ask at various times, on the bench, we catch him off guard. He handles them very well. He’s engaged even though he’s not on the court. One thing I can say is even though he’s not playing, he’s still learning a lot.”
#failforfultz
LongLiveHinkie
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#1382 » by LongLiveHinkie » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:05 pm

CoreyGallagher wrote:Other quotes from that interview make it seem like it’s going to be a longer wait, which is fine. Still don’t understand why he was playing injured, tho.

Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#1383 » by Sixerscan » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:10 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
JojoSlimbiid wrote:
Read on Twitter

Yeah he's shooting the ball.

Read on Twitter

I hope so!

At least we have narrowed the problem down to his shoulder and his shot.
LongLiveHinkie
RealGM

Post#1384 » by LongLiveHinkie » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:23 am

Sixerscan wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
JojoSlimbiid wrote:
Read on Twitter

Yeah he's shooting the ball.

Read on Twitter

I hope so!

Don't speak for everyone, a small smattering of "Fultz has shooterphobia or Jumper PTSD are still out there in an effort to slander his name!"
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,924

Post#1385 » by CoreyGallagher » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:52 am

Sixerscan wrote:At least we have narrowed the problem down to his shoulder and his shot.

It seems like 'not' is missing in front of one of these.
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,194

Post#1386 » by ProcessDoctor » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:53 am

CoreyGallagher wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:At least we have narrowed the problem down to his shoulder and his shot.

It seems like 'not' is missing in front of one of these.

The plot further thickens.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#1387 » by Sixerscan » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:59 am

LongLiveHinkie wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:

Read on Twitter

I hope so!

Don't speak for everyone, a small smattering of "Fultz has shooterphobia or Jumper PTSD are still out there in an effort to slander his name!"

I don't think it's ridiculous to think there's some sort of mental thing going on. I don't think he's coming back until he feels comfortable, even if his shoulder is perfect.
LongLiveHinkie
RealGM

Post#1388 » by LongLiveHinkie » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:24 am

Sixerscan wrote:
LongLiveHinkie wrote:

I don't think it's ridiculous to think there's some sort of mental thing going on. I don't think he's coming back until he feels comfortable, even if his shoulder is perfect.

It's possible a little bit, but there is no such thing as shooterphobia. It just doesn't and has never existed ever in earth's history. If someone doesn't shoot it's because they maximize their talents by focusing on what they do best.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,528

Post#1389 » by 76ciology » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:56 am

I dont think Fultz will return soon until we see him shooting in practice WITH HIS RIGHT. He's a guard so it's impossible for him not to be shooting in practice.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
gdog2004
Starter
And1: 706

Post#1390 » by gdog2004 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:57 am

Sixerscan wrote:
LongLiveHinkie wrote:

I've been thinking this for awhile. If so they better get him some regular sessions with a team Psych or his own.
This IS a guy who was used to being a 3 level scorer in college and went from 3 level to 0 level including getting the ball jammed in his face at an Evan Turner rate. I would not be surprised if he is having a hard time adjusting. Hopefully he has good people around him. No questions hes talented. But the game is maybe 25% physical and 75% mental.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1391 » by 76ciology » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:58 am

I think Fultz injury will serve him well. He'll be more equipped like how we red shirt our guys. The fans also will have lower expectations with inital poor showing from him and other prospects like Lonzo, DSJ and Fox.

I'm a Sixer fan so I'm more concerned about the long run. I'm not concerned on who's better between him and Tatum this season.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
LongLiveHinkie
RealGM

Post#1392 » by LongLiveHinkie » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:26 am

lol team psych. He hurt his shoulder and changed his form, he didn't return home from war.

And the game being 25% physical and 75% mental is a cliche. It's not necessarily true, there is no way to definitively break down what percentage any sport is of what. If the game was truly only 25% physical, then the mentally toughest guy in the world who is 5'8 and 300 lbs who has never played basketball in his life could be an NBA player.
JojoSlimbiid
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,229

Post#1393 » by JojoSlimbiid » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:44 am

Can someone point me in the direction of someone who has ever had the yips in basketball? The closest I can think of is Nick Anderson's free throws...and even then it's not like his form completely broke from the line he just never shot well again after failing in the finals.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1394 » by 76ciology » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:51 am

JojoSlimbiid wrote:Can someone point me in the direction of someone who has ever had the yips in basketball? The closet I can think of is Nick Anderson's free throws...and even then it's not like his form completely broke from the line he just never shot well again after failing in the finals.

Just read Hendrie Weisinger's book on how to handle pressure. The key is to think you've done it before and its just another shot rather than thinking of making it. Its about consistency than trying to make it. The thing with Nick Anderson's case is he made the finals miss moment bigger than what it is. He should think of all the made FTs than that single missed shot.

For Fultz case, he just need to remind himself of being a good shooter in college. He just needs more practice to help remind him that.

I don't know but I'd still believe in incentivize like if you become a good shooter by end of year you'll get a big bonus. So that instead of thinking of negative state you'll just think of being at zero reward state instead. That should really release the pressure. I know dynamics is different on NBA, im more referring to real life situations

And I have 100% certainty that this is not mental, unlike what these online bloggers would like to think to make the issue be viral
LongLiveHinkie
RealGM

Post#1395 » by LongLiveHinkie » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:12 am

JojoSlimbiid wrote:Can someone point me in the direction of someone who has ever had the yips in basketball? The closet I can think of is Nick Anderson's free throws...and even then it's not like his form completely broke from the line he just never shot well again after failing in the finals.

There isn't one, it doesn't exist. Mainly because shooting is a natural motion that you can do in your sleep as long as you have no restrictions in your motion and no pain.

People have likened it to Charles Barkley's golf swing. For one, it's nothing like a golf swing. A golf swing is far more mechanical and not nearly as natural of a motion. But even that aside, Charles Barkley isn't a professional golfer, he's just some celebrity who golfs, and unlike Fultz it's not like he was some amazing golfer that one day just started a hitch in his swing like that.
KrazySixersD
General Manager
And1: 1,008

Post#1396 » by KrazySixersD » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:59 pm

This is honestly ridiculous at this point. Did that tweet leave out "not" before his shot or is brown admitting his shot is also a problem?

This has to be the most dumb and idiotic situation ive ever seen in bball
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,106

Post#1397 » by Kobblehead » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:41 pm

The front office blamed the form change. Fultz's camp said it was already sore before he tinkered with his shot. Brett Brown isn't going to undermine his bosses and he's not going to throw his player under the bus. He's taking the middle ground.
Chris76
Sixth Man
And1: 318

Post#1398 » by Chris76 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:31 pm

JojoSlimbiid wrote:Can someone point me in the direction of someone who has ever had the yips in basketball? The closest I can think of is Nick Anderson's free throws...and even then it's not like his form completely broke from the line he just never shot well again after failing in the finals.

I read that Wilt Chamberlain may have had the yips. He shot underhand to avoid them.

Fultz did change his free throw form to use his legs more. It's difficult to change, so this could take some time to get comfortable with?
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#1399 » by Ericb5 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:25 pm

We don't know enough of the details to know the truth, but the overwhelmingly likely scenario is that it is solely a physical issue because a physical issue just makes more sense.

There is no history of Fultz having mental issues, and yips like this would have either zero, or very little precedence in the sport in general. A Physical issue is sufficient to explain the observed behavior so I'm just going to assume that that is the case unless and until new information comes to light.
JojoSlimbiid
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,229

Post#1400 » by JojoSlimbiid » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:55 pm

I'm surprised no one has posted that wonderfully awful "The Ringer" article yet. Was expecting a certain poster to post it by now.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers