ImageImageImage

Markelle Fultz Discussion II

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,063

Re: Markelle Fultz Discussion II 

Post#1521 » by Kobblehead » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:33 pm

LloydFree wrote:Did he ever have surgery on that sore knee that kept him out of all of those PAC 10 games at the end of the season last year?

I chalked that up to punting on the season to get ready for the draft. But now you have me concerned. What if Fultz just folds at the first sign of soreness?
LongLiveHinkie
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#1522 » by LongLiveHinkie » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:33 pm

Kobblehead wrote:On what? If there's no structural damage and nothing to repair, what's the logic in opening him up?

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/nba/sd-sp-pfd-markelle-fultz-shoulder-explained-1029-story.html

No surgery is planned. But that doesn’t mean he won’t have surgery at some point.

First, the Sixers will evidently continue with a further trial of conservative care and physical therapy.

Shoulder joint motion is complex. Two-thirds of movement is from the glenohumeral (ball and socket) joint. The other third is from the scapulo-thoracic joint (shoulder blade against the chest wall).

The shoulder blade (scapula) is part of the same bone as the glenoid (socket).

A problem at the scapula (base) can lead to a problem at the joint.

If the scapular muscle imbalance is the issue, it takes longer to correct as his body and muscles need to be retrained.

At this point, all that has happened is that a name has been assigned to the problem. The problem hasn't been fixed yet.

It can be corrected with therapy, but surgery is not out of the question.

From Dr. Chao.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,661

Post#1523 » by Negrodamus » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:36 pm

If it's "good news", I'll stand by my prediction: he's back in the next two (not counting today) games.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#1524 » by LloydFree » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:06 pm

Kobblehead wrote:
LloydFree wrote:Did he ever have surgery on that sore knee that kept him out of all of those PAC 10 games at the end of the season last year?

I chalked that up to punting on the season to get ready for the draft. But now you have me concerned. What if Fultz just folds at the first sign of soreness?

Yeah, his knee soreness seemed to occur right after that 40 point loss at home to UCLA and right before all those games against Arizona, USC, Oregon and at Paulie Pavilion.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,924

Post#1525 » by CoreyGallagher » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:12 pm

Conspiracy theories seem odd to me at this point, five-plus injured rookies later.

MCW finished his rookie season injured, Noel missed his first season, Embiid missed two seasons, Okafor was injured throughout and finished his rookie season injured, Simmons missed his rookie season, and I could be forgetting some more obscure rookie injuries.
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,707

Post#1526 » by Sixersftw » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:21 pm

CoreyGallagher wrote:Conspiracy theories seem odd to me at this point, five-plus injured rookies later.

MCW finished his rookie season injured, Noel missed his first season, Embiid missed two seasons, Okafor was injured throughout and finished his rookie season injured, Simmons missed his rookie season, and I could be missed some more obscure rookie injuries.

Dario had plantar fasciitis at the end of his season.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#1527 » by Ericb5 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:30 pm

Negrodamus wrote:If it's "good news", I'll stand by my prediction: he's back in the next two (not counting today) games.

Unless he has secretly been shooting and we don’t know about it, I don’t know how hey could announce a return date yet. The next step is letting him start shooting again, and then when he is able to do that for a while then they could activate him again.

If he hasn’t done that yet then they won’t know how he will respond to it.

My guess for a positive report is that they will say that his shoulder pain is significantly reduced or eliminated, and he is cleared to start shooting. They will let him do that for a while and observe him, and activate him when they are satisfied.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,661

Post#1528 » by Negrodamus » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:43 pm

Ericb5 wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:If it's "good news", I'll stand by my prediction: he's back in the next two (not counting today) games.

Unless he has secretly been shooting and we don’t know about it, I don’t know how hey could announce a return date yet. The next step is letting him start shooting again, and then when he is able to do that for a while then they could activate him again.

If he hasn’t done that yet then they won’t know how he will respond to it.

My guess for a positive report is that they will say that his shoulder pain is significantly reduced or eliminated, and he is cleared to start shooting. They will let him do that for a while and observe him, and activate him when they are satisfied.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's been shooting and we don't know about it. There's no compelling reason to have us know about it.
KrazySixersD
General Manager
And1: 1,008

Post#1529 » by KrazySixersD » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:22 am

no update?
gdog2004
Starter
And1: 706

Post#1530 » by gdog2004 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:24 am

Hypothetical for you guys. We all want Fultz to come back and be great, and I am sure mostly everyone (including me) were on board with the trade. so at this point...
Does anyone expect Fultz to come back and be more impactful than Simmons ?
I know prior to this season coming out of college Fultz was rated as highly as Simmons(as a prospect) by a LOT of people.
Personally I have a hard time imagining it as I think part of Markelles issues are mental but that's just speculation.
KrazySixersD
General Manager

Post#1531 » by KrazySixersD » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:26 am

um I dont know one person that had fultz rated as high as simmons, simmons was the best prospect since Lebron

and no, no one will have simmons impact as a rookie probably for another 10 years
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,620

Post#1532 » by Mik317 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:36 am

gdog2004 wrote:Hypothetical for you guys. We all want Fultz to come back and be great, and I am sure mostly everyone (including me) were on board with the trade. so at this point...
Does anyone expect Fultz to come back and be more impactful than Simmons ?
I know prior to this season coming out of college Fultz was rated as highly as Simmons(as a prospect) by a LOT of people.
Personally I have a hard time imagining it as I think part of Markelles issues are mental but that's just speculation.

no chance he comes back better than Simmons.

He's 19-20, Simmons is 21 and has an NBA ready body.

That alone makes a huge difference..people need to realize that there is a massive learning curve these guys have to make it through to be a damn. Kyrie Irving is the only recent high draftly guard to come into the league and look legit asap...and with his team's lack of success, you can argue against that a bit. It took Mike Conley for example his entire first contract to look serviceable in some ways. Harden was lowkey mediocre his first year IIRC. Westbrook wasn't exactly a shining superstar out the gate (I also remember lots of threads about how trash and a gunner Durant was his rookie year). So yeah its not going to be all roses lol. As much as I **** enjoy Lonzo's recent drought, I think he can turn it around by virtue of it being pretty dang hard to be good in this league...especially if you aren't an outlier at your position. Simmons gets by due to being huge and fast and a tough matchup (on top of his great skills mind you). Fultz' game is based off of his jumper falling...off nights a plenty in his future.

This is why this whole kerfuffle sucks, because now when he returns, he's not going to get that feeling it out period....many will expect him to be at the very least good right away due to the **** .... its going to be hilarious round here yall
#NeverGonnaBeGood
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,097

Post#1533 » by Arsenal » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:38 am

KrazySixersD wrote:um I dont know one person that had fultz rated as high as simmons, simmons was the best prospect since Lebron

and no, no one will have simmons impact as a rookie probably for another 10 years

Plenty of armchair "analysts" on these boards had Fultz as a better prospect than Simmons, which was ridiculous then and now.

No chance Fultz is as impactful as Simmons this year, if for nothing else the fact that he is 2 years younger than Simmons (19 vs. 21).

We'll see some glimpses, but I don't think Fultz will be a major impact player for at least 2 years. The best we can hope for early is that he can provide positive on court value in a somewhat limited role, ala Jayson Tatum.
KrazySixersD
General Manager

Post#1534 » by KrazySixersD » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:41 am

was the update coming today or tomorrow???
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,924

Post#1535 » by CoreyGallagher » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:03 am

KrazySixersD wrote:was the update coming today or tomorrow???

Tomorrow.
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
KrazySixersD
General Manager

Post#1536 » by KrazySixersD » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:40 am

k thanks, hopefully its that hes coming back asap
PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Post#1537 » by PhilasFinest » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:46 am

CoreyGallagher wrote:Conspiracy theories seem odd to me at this point, five-plus injured rookies later.

MCW finished his rookie season injured, Noel missed his first season, Embiid missed two seasons, Okafor was injured throughout and finished his rookie season injured, Simmons missed his rookie season, and I could be forgetting some more obscure rookie injuries.

MCW took a beating in his 1st season in the NBA, shouldering a load on a pretty bad team. He missed 12 games. Don't think thats anything out of the norm.

Noel and Embiid were both injured PRIOR to the NBA draft and we selected that knowing it. We knew what we were getting into there.
Yea Embiid had gotten hurt again down the line, but someone that big and with a history of injuries prior just wasn't shocking IMO.

Okafor played 53 games and went down with a knee injury. He was an out of shape, overweight 19-20 year old kid banging down low in the NBA. Dont think that was out of the norm either. People get hurt all the time.

Simmons had a fluke injury in training camp when someone landed on his foot.We likely wrapped him in bubble wrap for the season.

Fultz is a bizarre situation. I guess we will see how he lines up with the rest of the them after this season and update hopefully 2morro.

Yes we have been unlucky, but I do not think its anything out of the norm. Guys get hurt all the time, and we had 2 guys with major injuries prior to being drafted, so long recovered and potential set backs were to be expected.

If anything, its the way our PR team communicates these injuries that makes us all scratch our heads. If they were just straight up and honest with people.....the dark clouds wouldn't be so heavy and conspiracy theories wouldn't be in such heavy circulation.

Hopefully Fultz is healed up, shooting jumpers and ready to ball. The whole situation is/was bizarre and I have a feeling it could linger all season, but ill keep my fingers crossed in hopes I am wrong.
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
Ryuzaki
Freshman
And1: 25

Post#1538 » by Ryuzaki » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:54 am

We need you savior
Unbreakable99
General Manager
And1: 3,993

Post#1539 » by Unbreakable99 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:14 am

Fultz posted on his Instagram he’s in Lexington, Kentucky. I guess he’s back to see the doctor there. Hopefully we hear good news tomorrow.
LongLiveHinkie
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#1540 » by LongLiveHinkie » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:02 pm

Sixers say Fultz is progressing and will be re-evaluated in another 2-3 weeks.

Just as I thought.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers