ImageImageImage

Markelle Fultz Discussion II

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,621

Re: Markelle Fultz Discussion II 

Post#1941 » by Mik317 » Mon Dec 4, 2017 2:43 am

AI_Efficiency wrote:Most rookie point guards struggle their first couple years. Lowry, Westbrook, DWill, John Wall, Derrick Rose, all of those guys took big steps after their first or second year. Having to read about Fultz bust talk on this board when he inevitably struggles will be exhausting. Most point guards don’t develop great off ball skills growing up since they are used to dominating with their skill and athleticism. Fultz prob wont have the ball in his hands as much as he’s used to, and when he does, reading defenses will be a learning process. If Fultz is struggling two years from now we should be concerned, but until then, everyone relax.

Dude, Fultz could come back and average 20, 5, and 5 on good percentages and the very moment he has an off night, people would be losing their collective ****. So I can only imagine what this place looks like when he returns and probably sucks it up....lawd.

minds are already made up (both ways) and until time passes, this topic will be a **** sadly. It is what it is. No matter what agendas are just too strong.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Markelle Fultz Discussion II 

Post#1942 » by Ericb5 » Mon Dec 4, 2017 3:01 am

spikeslovechild wrote:
Ericb5 wrote:
spikeslovechild wrote:
This is nonsense we'll know likely by the end of the season whether this was a good move or not.

One thing we do is we dodged a bullet with Ball and the reality of his game never matched the hype. I think we can feel pretty confident at this point him becoming Magic Johnson is a very, very, very, very, very remote possibility.

We won’t know if the trade was a good or bad move by the end of the season.

You don’t have a complete view of a player after one year. Look at Aaron Gordon right now who is blossoming into a player now that didn’t seem likely 2 years ago.

Bad rookies turn it around and good rookies drop off. It will be a few years until we have a verdict on the trade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never said a complete picture. I said a pretty good idea of whether it would be a good trade there is a difference. Basically we'll see Fultz talent or we won't.

If Fultz shows he can play off the ball and be productive then it will have been a good trade. The standard is pretty low considering what other players are doing that were selected behind him

After his rookie year we will know more about him than we do before his rookie year, but I don’t know what kind of conclusion you could draw.

Ball is probably going to finish this year with similar numbers to what he has now. What does that teach us about his future? Virtually nothing.

Btw, you said that we would know whether it was a good or bad deal by the end of the year. My point is that we won’t know that.

spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 5,901

Post#1943 » by spikeslovechild » Mon Dec 4, 2017 3:47 am

Ericb5 wrote:
spikeslovechild wrote:
Ericb5 wrote:
We won’t know if the trade was a good or bad move by the end of the season.

You don’t have a complete view of a player after one year. Look at Aaron Gordon right now who is blossoming into a player now that didn’t seem likely 2 years ago.

Bad rookies turn it around and good rookies drop off. It will be a few years until we have a verdict on the trade.

I never said a complete picture. I said a pretty good idea of whether it would be a good trade there is a difference. Basically we'll see Fultz talent or we won't.

If Fultz shows he can play off the ball and be productive then it will have been a good trade. The standard is pretty low considering what other players are doing that were selected behind him

After his rookie year we will know more about him than we do before his rookie year, but I don’t know what kind of conclusion you could draw.

Ball is probably going to finish this year with similar numbers to what he has now. What does that teach us about his future? Virtually nothing.

Btw, you said that we would know whether it was a good or bad deal by the end of the year. My point is that we won’t know that.

I said likely because I do think he is going to play well and if he does that removes many of questions surrounding the trade.

As far as Ball future goes of course this season has told us a bunch. It's told us he needs a complete overhaul of his shot to even have a chance in this league moving forward. It's told us that his shot doesn't work in the NBA. Those are big things. In a redraft noway he gets taken 2nd. He probably doesn't even go top five maybe not even top 10.

So yeah the shine has started to come off him as a prospect.
Ericb5
RealGM

Post#1944 » by Ericb5 » Mon Dec 4, 2017 12:53 pm

spikeslovechild wrote:
Ericb5 wrote:
spikeslovechild wrote:

I said likely because I do think he is going to play well and if he does that removes many of questions surrounding the trade.

As far as Ball future goes of course this season has told us a bunch. It's told us he needs a complete overhaul of his shot to even have a chance in this league moving forward. It's told us that his shot doesn't work in the NBA. Those are big things. In a redraft noway he gets taken 2nd. He probably doesn't even go top five maybe not even top 10.

I’m saying that we don’t know whether Ball will or won’t be able to change his shot mechanics. 19 year olds have long roads ahead of them.

Shine can come off of prospects. The shine came off of Aaron Gordon too. You still need multiple years to pass before you can make a determination on a player.

We won’t know Fultz’s destiny a year from now, but we will know more about him.

Unbreakable99
General Manager
And1: 3,993

Post#1945 » by Unbreakable99 » Mon Dec 4, 2017 3:06 pm

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2747010-nba-teams-already-regretting-their-2017-nba-draft-decisions.amp.html
Regret: Trading the No. 3 pick and a future first-rounder for the No. 1 pick (Markelle Fultz)

It's too early to assess Markelle Fultz, who tried to play hurt and now finds himself sidelined. But seeing how special Ben Simmons is and how impressive Jayson Tatum looks in Boston, trading the No. 3 pick and a future first-rounder doesn't look as savvy or assuring today.

Forget about evaluating Fultz in a vacuum. The Philadelphia 76ers now have to ask about his fit alongside Simmons—whether he can maximize his potential playing off the ball, a role that takes away scoring and playmaking opportunities and rhythm, and turns him into more of a spot-up and third option (behind Simmons and Joel Embiid).

But the Sixers also have to worry about Fultz's shoulder and jumper, the weapon he's leaned on for volume scoring, which is ultimately what pushed him atop NBA draft boards. He's changed his shooting form multiple times since joining the Sixers, and he didn't attempt a three-pointer in four games played.

It's an issue nobody could have seen coming and now has many wondering what's going on both physically and mentally with the No. 1 overall pick. Instead of dealing with the uncertainty around Fultz, the Sixers could have kept a future first-rounder and taken Tatum, who's emerged as an immediate contributor, ironically for his ability to adapt and score off the ball.
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Post#1946 » by Kolkmania » Mon Dec 4, 2017 3:17 pm

Unbreakable99 wrote:https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2747010-nba-teams-already-regretting-their-2017-nba-draft-decisions.amp.html
Regret: Trading the No. 3 pick and a future first-rounder for the No. 1 pick (Markelle Fultz)

It's too early to assess Markelle Fultz, who tried to play hurt and now finds himself sidelined. But seeing how special Ben Simmons is and how impressive Jayson Tatum looks in Boston, trading the No. 3 pick and a future first-rounder doesn't look as savvy or assuring today.

Forget about evaluating Fultz in a vacuum. The Philadelphia 76ers now have to ask about his fit alongside Simmons—whether he can maximize his potential playing off the ball, a role that takes away scoring and playmaking opportunities and rhythm, and turns him into more of a spot-up and third option (behind Simmons and Joel Embiid).

But the Sixers also have to worry about Fultz's shoulder and jumper, the weapon he's leaned on for volume scoring, which is ultimately what pushed him atop NBA draft boards. He's changed his shooting form multiple times since joining the Sixers, and he didn't attempt a three-pointer in four games played.

It's an issue nobody could have seen coming and now has many wondering what's going on both physically and mentally with the No. 1 overall pick. Instead of dealing with the uncertainty around Fultz, the Sixers could have kept a future first-rounder and taken Tatum, who's emerged as an immediate contributor, ironically for his ability to adapt and score off the ball.

My goodness, will you ever stop?

And are we questioning Fultz' fit on this team now? If anything we lack a dynamic off the dribble shot creator when Ben struggles to create an efficient shot attempt, theoretically he's the perfect fit to this team.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,345

Post#1947 » by 76ciology » Mon Dec 4, 2017 3:32 pm

Hot take. If Fultz is as good as advertised, Ben will be the third option on offense. Which is a scary proposition.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
gdog2004
Starter
And1: 706

Post#1948 » by gdog2004 » Mon Dec 4, 2017 3:49 pm

76ciology wrote:Hot take. If Fultz is as good as advertised, Ben will be the third option on offense. Which is a scary proposition.

True. Not sure we are going to find that out this season though. Any update at all ?
JojoSlimbiid
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,229

Post#1949 » by JojoSlimbiid » Mon Dec 4, 2017 3:50 pm

76ciology wrote:Hot take. If Fultz is as good as advertised, Ben will be the third option on offense. Which is a scary proposition.

Is that a hot take?
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,345

Post#1950 » by 76ciology » Mon Dec 4, 2017 3:58 pm

JojoSlimbiid wrote:

Is that a hot take?

Just wait. They havent seen it yet. I'd appreciate if you guys back me up. :lol:
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Unbreakable99
General Manager

Post#1951 » by Unbreakable99 » Mon Dec 4, 2017 4:06 pm

Kolkmania wrote:
Unbreakable99 wrote:https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2747010-nba-teams-already-regretting-their-2017-nba-draft-decisions.amp.html

My goodness, will you ever stop?

And are we questioning Fultz' fit on this team now? If anything we lack a dynamic off the dribble shot creator when Ben struggles to create an efficient shot attempt, theoretically he's the perfect fit to this team.

I didn’t write that. I just post Fultz info and stories and updates that I see. Sometimes I agree with the articles. Sometimes I don’t but I just post everything Fultz related in here. There could be an article saying Fultz will be the greatest player ever. I’d post that. I gave no opinion on the article. I just posted it.
agiaco
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#1952 » by agiaco » Mon Dec 4, 2017 4:29 pm

I wish Markelle could come back for the Christmas day game vs. the Knicks. That would be the best present a Sixers fan could ask for.
spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 5,901

Post#1953 » by spikeslovechild » Mon Dec 4, 2017 7:29 pm

Ericb5 wrote:
spikeslovechild wrote:
Ericb5 wrote:

I’m saying that we don’t know whether Ball will or won’t be able to change his shot mechanics. 19 year olds have long roads ahead of them.

Shine can come off of prospects. The shine came off of Aaron Gordon too. You still need multiple years to pass before you can make a determination on a player.

Not really. There are outliers of course like Gordon I brought up Malone in relation to Okafor but that isn't even the point. There are struggles like Bennett and then there Gordons or Malone or whomever.

The point is you can see the talent. With Ball his shot looks hopeless and if you don't see that you aren't watching. He isn't just missing he isn't even close. So yeah sure at some point he could completely reconstruct his form and have a solid career but you can't assume that. It's rarely been attempted and even fewer times has it been sucessful. I wish the Lakers all the best.

Moving it back to Fultz thats sort of what I'm looking for beyond the numbers. I want to see the talent. I want to see him show flashes of dominance even if he is unable to put it together for an entire year.

I actually saw it when he did play. He got to the rim at will. He just couldn't didn't finish. He was averaging 12.8 attempts per 36. Sure he looked out of control at times but even with that being said he wasn't turning the ball over.

You just have to hope when he gets healthy those buckets turn into baskets and the 3PT shooting from summer league carries over.
Unbreakable99
General Manager

Post#1954 » by Unbreakable99 » Mon Dec 4, 2017 8:49 pm

spikeslovechild wrote:
Ericb5 wrote:
spikeslovechild wrote:

Not really. There are outliers of course like Gordon I brought up Malone in relation to Okafor but that isn't even the point. There are struggles like Bennett and then there Gordons or Malone or whomever.

The point is you can see the talent. With Ball his shot looks hopeless and if you don't see that you aren't watching. He isn't just missing he isn't even close. So yeah sure at some point he could completely reconstruct his form and have a solid career but you can't assume that. It's rarely been attempted and even fewer times has it been sucessful. I wish the Lakers all the best.

Moving it back to Fultz thats sort of what I'm looking for beyond the numbers. I want to see the talent. I want to see him show flashes of dominance even if he is unable to put it together for an entire year.

I actually saw it when he did play. He got to the rim at will. He just couldn't didn't finish. He was averaging 12.8 attempts per 36. Sure he looked out of control at times but even with that being said he wasn't turning the ball over.

You just have to hope when he gets healthy those buckets turn into baskets and the 3PT shooting from summer league carries over.

Fultz defended well in his stint. I was most impressed with that. He tried and gave great effort on defense. I know we shouldn’t give credit to basketball players doing what basketball players are getting paid to do but he looked a lot more engaged than he did at Washington. If he can give that effort all the time I’ll love it. I doubt he will because he will eventually need to exert more energy on the offensive end and I expect his defense to tail off.
Ericb5
RealGM

Post#1955 » by Ericb5 » Mon Dec 4, 2017 9:53 pm

spikeslovechild wrote:
Ericb5 wrote:
spikeslovechild wrote:

I believe that we have seen the talent from Ball. His shot is a disaster though. No doubt about that at this point.

I’m just saying that we can’t give up on a kid that quickly. He is a flawed prospect, but still an excellent one.

Unbreakable99
General Manager

Post#1956 » by Unbreakable99 » Mon Dec 4, 2017 10:46 pm

Read on Twitter
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,063

Post#1957 » by Kobblehead » Mon Dec 4, 2017 10:53 pm

"watch how they switch sides"

He's referring to switching shooting hands during his missed rookie season. Dammit man!
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,667

Post#1958 » by Negrodamus » Mon Dec 4, 2017 11:07 pm

Judging by Markelle’s likes on Twitter, I think he likes Donovan Mitchell more than I do.
Unbreakable99
General Manager

Post#1959 » by Unbreakable99 » Mon Dec 4, 2017 11:08 pm

Negrodamus wrote:Judging by Markelle’s likes on Twitter, I think he likes Donovan Mitchell more than I do.

I think that's who he's striving to be lol.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,682

Post#1960 » by phillynative » Tue Dec 5, 2017 12:45 am

He's kind of groupieish

Return to Philadelphia 76ers