ImageImageImage

Why does TJ still play!

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

mithrandir17
Veteran
And1: 1,609

Re: Why does TJ still play! 

Post#181 » by mithrandir17 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:32 am

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/251445/Suns-Offered-2nd-Round-Pick-To-76ers-For-TJ-McConnell

What kind of blasphemy is this? TJ is atleast worth Booker and an unprotected first
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,442

Post#182 » by Eyeamok » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:12 pm

TJ is worth more to the 76ers than he is to anyone else.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,737

Post#183 » by phillynative » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:47 pm

The question is do we resign him?
Chris76
Sixth Man
And1: 318

Post#184 » by Chris76 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:46 pm

Eyeamok wrote:TJ is worth more to the 76ers than he is to anyone else.

Some small backup Pgs are doing well this year.
JJ Barea, Tyus Jones, TJ, and others. Maybe, the freedom of movement rule helps them.
thejuice17
Junior
And1: 25

Post#185 » by thejuice17 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:41 am

phillynative wrote:The question is do we resign him?

NO WAY
XDevilBoiX
Head Coach
And1: 2,481

Post#186 » by XDevilBoiX » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:07 pm

This guys should be traded by Brand ASAP so it forces Brett to play Fultz. We can’t have a scrub playing over a no.1 pick.
jcsunsfan
Head Coach
And1: 4,822

Post#187 » by jcsunsfan » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:50 pm

If you don't want to keep him, why won't you trade him. You could pick up a high second round pick from the Suns. Don't understand why hanging on.
cool93
Analyst
And1: 1,992

Post#188 » by cool93 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:13 am

jcsunsfan wrote:If you don't want to keep him, why won't you trade him. You could pick up a high second round pick from the Suns. Don't understand why hanging on.

There is no certanty with Fultz, there are two different possibilities where TJ is needed as backup - 1) Fultz completely busts, 2) Fultz regains value but fit is just horrendous with Simmons and Biid and we need to trade him. And those possibilities are at least as possible as that he becomes a star.

And there is no big need in 2nds, we have a **** of them and our scouting department isn't that good anyway.
jcsunsfan
Head Coach
And1: 4,822

Post#189 » by jcsunsfan » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:12 pm

cool93 wrote:
jcsunsfan wrote:If you don't want to keep him, why won't you trade him. You could pick up a high second round pick from the Suns. Don't understand why hanging on.

There is no certanty with Fultz, there are two different possibilities where TJ is needed as backup - 1) Fultz completely busts, 2) Fultz regains value but fit is just horrendous with Simmons and Biid and we need to trade him. And those possibilities are at least as possible as that he becomes a star.

And there is no big need in 2nds, we have a **** of them and our scouting department isn't that good anyway.

Ha! Same here. Thats why we want to trade them away.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#190 » by LloydFree » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:30 pm

Depends on how much and who else is on the team.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,133

Post#191 » by Arsenal » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:34 am

If the price is right, why not? However we cannot sign him until after we use our cap space since his cap hold is super low.
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,924

Post#192 » by CoreyGallagher » Mon Dec 3, 2018 10:42 pm

So, he's back to being the trusty TJ we all used to appreciate. Since the Butler acquisition, or rather since Fultz fell out of the rotation I suppose, TJ has been much better.

Still not particularly productive (5.4 pts, 2.4 asts, 1.6 rbs in 19.2 mins), but much more efficient (53.1 fg%, 40% from three) and less turnover prone (1.1 tovs). Team has been +15.6 with him, +2.0 without him (+13.6 net differential) during the span.
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
kingofthecourt67
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,549

Post#193 » by kingofthecourt67 » Tue Dec 4, 2018 7:46 am

I think it's a must to re-sign him. Obviously scrappy player who plays back up minutes well, but just as important in my opinion is his importance to continuity of culture. Losing RoCo and Saric was a big blow, and I think that magnifies the necessity of keeping TJ. Plus, I'll be really sad if he plays elsewhere.
Kova
Veteran
And1: 711

Post#194 » by Kova » Mon Jan 7, 2019 11:28 am

Couldn't find original TJ thread, so I figured this was the one..

He wrote a piece in Players Tribune.. https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/tj-mcconnell-nba-sixers-process

Talks about the process, expectations, nothing special, but a fun read.
brannigan73
Rookie
And1: 612

Post#195 » by brannigan73 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:24 am

Why is he playing? Because even though he is mediocre he is their 5th or 6th best player and one of the few guys that can handle the ball soundly and can sometimes be a pest on D. Its bad enough we are giving Landry Shamet and Furkan Korkmaz 30-40 minutes a game combined sometimes you know what lets play those two more! :banghead:
bball4life
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,263

Post#196 » by bball4life » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:41 pm

If you've read any game threads, you know my stance on playing TJ. I apologize for how often I rant about him, but hopefully this explains why.

I don't agree with but can understand the reasoning with playing TJ as the backup PG when Simmons is on the bench. I think even these limited minutes should go to players like Shake and Shamet who may have a future role on a championship caliber team which I don't believe TJ ever will. But I digress.

TJ should NEVER see the floor with Ben playing at any time ever. The stats bear it out. The 2 man lineup of Ben and TJ this year is -4.6 net rating. This is by far the WORST net rating for any Sixers pair that has at least 400 minutes playing together this year. And its not hard to figure out why on offense: SPACING. You can pack the paint when either of them has the ball with no repercussions. Heck, TJ you don't have to guard at all except for exactly 8 feet from the basket. This is a nightmare on offense for the Sixers and I'm literally praying every second they are on the court together that the other team doesn't put the game out of reach.

But it doesn't begin and end on offense: TJ is a PUTRID defensive player. He has somehow garnered a reputation as a defensive bulldog or whatever, but again the stats show otherwise. Taking ESPN's DRPM, TJ is ranked as the 70th worst PG in the league behind such defensive stalwarts as Mudiay and DLo. Yeah, that's not just bad, its horrifying. And the eye test bears this out. If the other team even bothers to set a screen, it completely obliterates TJ seemingly every single time like he just ran into an electrified fence. Completely removes him from the play. But lately I've noticed teams that have guards who are even a little offensively inclined don't even bother setting screens. They literally just dribble right past him like he's a traffic cone, no crossovers or other deception, just run right by like he's glued to the floor.

Yes, he tries, really, really hard and I assume that's why Brett loves him and continues to sabotage his own team by playing him so much, but it doesn't make up for the fact that he's tiny, slow, can't jump and has trex arms.

For those who don't agree and still think he's worth playing, at least watch for these situations in the game. Its blatant and horrifying to watch.

THE SOLUTION:
For the love of all that's good in the world, try playing Shamet / Shake or even go big with Bolden/Shamet or Bolden/Shake when Embiid and Redick come out after 5 minutes of game time. Simmons is still out there to handle playmaking. Shamet or Butler can surely bring the ball up like TJ does, and unlike TJ, you actually have to guard Shamet or even Bolden a little bit because they will shoot a 3 ball. If it were me, I'd also be giving all of Ben's backup minutes to Shake/Shamet too and see what happens. Its highly unlikely they could be any worse than what TJ brings and they have a chance to improve where TJ does not.

I see a small glimmer of hope in that lately Shamet is getting some PG minutes in garbage time that the analytics guys and everyone else on the Sixers staff must be begging Brett to stop playing TJ. But Brett is a loyal and stubborn man so I'm not holding my breath.
Winejk
Bench Warmer
And1: 432

Post#197 » by Winejk » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:29 pm

bball4life wrote:If you've read any game threads, you know my stance on playing TJ. I apologize for how often I rant about him, but hopefully this explains why.

I don't agree with but can understand the reasoning with playing TJ as the backup PG when Simmons is on the bench. I think even these limited minutes should go to players like Shake and Shamet who may have a future role on a championship caliber team which I don't believe TJ ever will. But I digress.

TJ should NEVER see the floor with Ben playing at any time ever. The stats bear it out. The 2 man lineup of Ben and TJ this year is -4.6 net rating. This is by far the WORST net rating for any Sixers pair that has at least 400 minutes playing together this year. And its not hard to figure out why on offense: SPACING. You can pack the paint when either of them has the ball with no repercussions. Heck, TJ you don't have to guard at all except for exactly 8 feet from the basket. This is a nightmare on offense for the Sixers and I'm literally praying every second they are on the court together that the other team doesn't put the game out of reach.

But it doesn't begin and end on offense: TJ is a PUTRID defensive player. He has somehow garnered a reputation as a defensive bulldog or whatever, but again the stats show otherwise. Taking ESPN's DRPM, TJ is ranked as the 70th worst PG in the league behind such defensive stalwarts as Mudiay and DLo. Yeah, that's not just bad, its horrifying. And the eye test bears this out. If the other team even bothers to set a screen, it completely obliterates TJ seemingly every single time like he just ran into an electrified fence. Completely removes him from the play. But lately I've noticed teams that have guards who are even a little offensively inclined don't even bother setting screens. They literally just dribble right past him like he's a traffic cone, no crossovers or other deception, just run right by like he's glued to the floor.

Yes, he tries, really, really hard and I assume that's why Brett loves him and continues to sabotage his own team by playing him so much, but it doesn't make up for the fact that he's tiny, slow, can't jump and has trex arms.

For those who don't agree and still think he's worth playing, at least watch for these situations in the game. Its blatant and horrifying to watch.

THE SOLUTION:
For the love of all that's good in the world, try playing Shamet / Shake or even go big with Bolden/Shamet or Bolden/Shake when Embiid and Redick come out after 5 minutes of game time. Simmons is still out there to handle playmaking. Shamet or Butler can surely bring the ball up like TJ does, and unlike TJ, you actually have to guard Shamet or even Bolden a little bit because they will shoot a 3 ball. If it were me, I'd also be giving all of Ben's backup minutes to Shake/Shamet too and see what happens. Its highly unlikely they could be any worse than what TJ brings and they have a chance to improve where TJ does not.

I see a small glimmer of hope in that lately Shamet is getting some PG minutes in garbage time that the analytics guys and everyone else on the Sixers staff must be begging Brett to stop playing TJ. But Brett is a loyal and stubborn man so I'm not holding my breath.

I like TJ. However, I understand he has limitations.

Instead of TJ running the 2nd unit, I'd much rather see Jimmy Butler running the offense using heavy PnR. That's the kind of offense we are going to need in a 7 game series when teams scout and are prepared. This pass and space offense that Brown loves is fine and dandy but in crunch time and playoff time it can be shut down. At the very least we need to diversify from pass and space so if it does get shut down, there is another style we can throw at teams.
AI_Efficiency
Sixth Man
And1: 717

Post#198 » by AI_Efficiency » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:30 pm

bball4life wrote:If you've read any game threads, you know my stance on playing TJ. I apologize for how often I rant about him, but hopefully this explains why.

THE SOLUTION:

Agree 100%.
GuideDog
Junior
And1: 138

Post#199 » by GuideDog » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:21 am

AI_Efficiency wrote:

THE SOLUTION:

Agree 100%.

My sentiments exactly about TJ! Brett should never play him with Simmons. By playoffs, he better find another back up pg option.
Simmons25
Analyst
And1: 2,235

Post#200 » by Simmons25 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:04 am

The best thing that could ever happen to this team is if TJ gets traded.

To me there is nothing more frustrating than seeing Ben have to move over to the 4 and taking the ball out of his hands when he is creating mismatches and scoring... just to accommodate the fact that TJ is unable to play any other position other than the 1.

I would be ok with TJ if he only ever was on court when Ben needed a rest which is approx. 12 mins a game... but that is just not happening.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers