ImageImageImage

2018 Free Agency: Looking ahead at LeBron etc.

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,400

Re: 2018 Free Agency: Looking ahead at LeBron etc. 

Post#2361 » by Eyeamok » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:26 pm

ProcessTrusta wrote:I still don’t see a young star just walking away from the Sixers after spending a year being ingratiated in our culture. I can’t think of a time in this modern era of the NBA where a star has walked away from a young team as promising as ours.

That's just the fan in you. I get it but that is what it is.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
FireMorey
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,568

Post#2362 » by FireMorey » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:30 pm

Eyeamok wrote:
ProcessTrusta wrote:I still don’t see a young star just walking away from the Sixers after spending a year being ingratiated in our culture. I can’t think of a time in this modern era of the NBA where a star has walked away from a young team as promising as ours.

I’m looking at it logically. I’ve seen nothing to convince me that he wouldn’t want to stay. It’s human nature to fall in love with people or places you didn’t expect. Happens all the time.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant

Post#2363 » by Eyeamok » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:34 pm

ProcessTrusta wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:

I’m looking at it logically. I’ve seen nothing to convince me that he wouldn’t want to stay. It’s human nature to fall in love with people or places you didn’t expect. Happens all the time.

So you are the GM. You call the Spurs. Your belief in the 76ers culture is so strong, what do you offer him for Leonard?

Marlo
FireMorey
Lead Assistant

Post#2364 » by FireMorey » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:35 pm

Eyeamok wrote:
ProcessTrusta wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:

So you are the GM. You call the Spurs. Your belief in the 76ers culture is so strong, what do you offer him for Leonard?

Some type of package involving 26, one of Saric or Covington and a future protected first rounder. I’d start there. Depends what other offers they have on the table obviously.
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#2365 » by Ericb5 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:38 pm

Eyeamok wrote:

I agree that it is very hard to imagine someone wanting to leave the Sixers if they have a great role on our team. The Sixers will be one of the most popular teams in the league next year in terms of national exposure, and if we get George, Kawhi or Lebron, we will win 60 plus games and go into the playoffs as the best team in the east, or right there with Boston.

We literally could win the title next year if we get one of those guys, and get normal health and the expected internal growth from our own players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ericb5
RealGM

Post#2366 » by Ericb5 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:42 pm

ProcessTrusta wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:
ProcessTrusta wrote:I’m looking at it logically. I’ve seen nothing to convince me that he wouldn’t want to stay. It’s human nature to fall in love with people or places you didn’t expect. Happens all the time.

Some type of package involving 26, one of Saric or Covington and a future protected first rounder. I’d start there. Depends what other offers they have on the table obviously.

With a commitment from him to resign I offer them Covington, Fultz and 10. Without a commitment for him to resign I offer Covington, 10 and other picks.

Unless he absolutely says to Brett Brown that he has no intention of signing with the Sixers next year, I still go for it, and hope that he listens to reason, but it would make me less aggressive in terms of what I would offer.

Eyeamok
Lead Assistant

Post#2367 » by Eyeamok » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:43 pm

ProcessTrusta wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:
ProcessTrusta wrote:I’m looking at it logically. I’ve seen nothing to convince me that he wouldn’t want to stay. It’s human nature to fall in love with people or places you didn’t expect. Happens all the time.

Would you include Fultz into the mix? After all we are talking about one of the top 5 players in the league.

Marlo
FireMorey
Lead Assistant

Post#2368 » by FireMorey » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:44 pm

Ericb5 wrote:
ProcessTrusta wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:

With a commitment from him to resign I offer them Covington, Fultz and 10. Without a commitment for him to resign I offer Covington, 10 and other picks.

Unless he absolutely says to Brett Brown that he has no intention of signing with the Sixers next year, I still go for it, and hope that he listens to reason, but it would make me less aggressive in terms of what I would offer.

Agreed. He’s too good to pass up and I think with him already knowing Brett, being on a team that could make the NBA Finals, and being around a young, energetic, and enthusiastic group, he’d really fall in love with this place. It’s a risk worth taking IMO.

I’m honestly more concerned about his quad and what’s up with that whole deal than I am with him re-signing.
FireMorey
Lead Assistant

Post#2369 » by FireMorey » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:45 pm

Eyeamok wrote:
ProcessTrusta wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:

Would you include Fultz into the mix? After all we are talking about one of the top 5 players in the league.

Not unless he’d agree to re-sign. I’m a big fan of Fultz, I love his game. I think he can be a star if he ever gets over those shooting issues he developed.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant

Post#2370 » by Eyeamok » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:45 pm

Ericb5 wrote:
ProcessTrusta wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:

It changes everything with a commitment to resign. This was about no commitment and just being swayed by his role on the team and the culture, once he experiences it.

Marlo
nrok10307
Junior
And1: 189

Post#2371 » by nrok10307 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:52 pm

Ericb5 wrote:
ProcessTrusta wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:

This 100%. If he doesn't commit, I think you still pull the trigger, just take Fultz out of the package.

If we get Leonard, then Lebron will more than likely join --- Sixers with Lebron and Leonard are instant contenders... and if Leonard is healthy, we would be favorites.

Also given the expected growth of Simmons and Embiid, we would have a window of 4 years as heavy favorites --- very unlikely that LeBron and Kawhi would opt out of that situation unless they ended up hating each other.

Sixers are in a unique situation to be a trade option for Kawhi and get Lebron in free agency and add to a core that is a playoff team. No other team in the league has that opportunity. And if you get both Kawhi and Lebron, I see a high probability of them both staying beyond 1 year.
SixthStreet
Sixth Man
And1: 1,525

Post#2372 » by SixthStreet » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:00 pm

If the Lakers are capped out next year (they sign LeBron and George to max contracts) and Spurs keep Kawhi or trade him as a rental do you think we’d have a shot over the Clippers to sign Kawhi? I think I’d keep my assets and take a shot next offseason.
ivysixer2000
General Manager
And1: 2,014

Post#2373 » by ivysixer2000 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:07 pm

Well I do know one thing, since Kawbye wants to be in LA and Jerry West has come out and said 12 and 13 are available along with other things, we would be fighting an uphill battle to get him cause it will take alot more in the trade than listed here.

He's not going to sign an extension early cause it will cost him money. There will be no guarantee, but keep hope alive I guess.
51X3RF4N
Lead Assistant
And1: 935

Post#2374 » by 51X3RF4N » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:48 pm

If I'm Brett Brown, I at least make a call to Pop and tell him I'm interested, and to hit me up if he wants to get into specifics if other offers are on the table, I'd like to give the Sixers a chance to put together a competitive package or simply to know the value isn't there.

If Pop calls and says no dice not trading him or gives me the professional courtesy of saying they're sending him to LAC, or whatever, or says stay away....then move on.

I just see it as do your due diligence and then move on if there isn't something there.

Who's next? Free agents PG and LBJ. Can't get them both most likely, so instead focus on LBJ and go into your meeting with him by saying we have open architecture in our front office, a boat load of assets and the ability to bring back basically our same 52 win, 3rd place team with adding him and Fultz and #10 to the mix. Let him decide if that's enough or not.

Then again, move on.
Your Future Sixers

C- Embiid/?
PF- ?/?
SF- ?/?
SG- ?/?
PG- ?/?
FlyingArrow
Starter
And1: 1,428

Post#2375 » by FlyingArrow » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:29 am

So many red flags on Kawhi.

* He's coming off an injury - no guarantee he's still a top 5 player. Although his 9 games this year were good - if the injury does mean a permanent slow-down, it won't be much. He'd still be top 20 at the worst.

* He has apparently already said he wants to go to LA. Very likely a one-year rental.

* He wasn't even with his team for most of the season. If he is injured at all, he might ditch again and wouldn't even be around to be influenced by the Sixers clubhouse to re-sign.
ivysixer2000
General Manager
And1: 2,014

Post#2376 » by ivysixer2000 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:44 am

FlyingArrow wrote:So many red flags on Kawhi.

* He's coming off an injury - no guarantee he's still a top 5 player. Although his 9 games this year were good - if the injury does mean a permanent slow-down, it won't be much. He'd still be top 20 at the worst.

* He has apparently already said he wants to go to LA. Very likely a one-year rental.

* He wasn't even with his team for most of the season. If he is injured at all, he might ditch again and wouldn't even be around to be influenced by the Sixers clubhouse to re-sign.

Thats the part that most people aren't realizing about the situation, he could ditch us or any team he's traded to if he gets a hangnail.

I just don't trust the dude, I mean, why should we after last season.
GabeCerebro
Sophomore
And1: 58

Post#2377 » by GabeCerebro » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:13 am

ivysixer2000 wrote:Pops wife dies, flies out to see Kawhi who must've not even gone to the funeral.

Douche probably didn't wish condolences for Pop's lost.

And you guys still want that with the Sixers. Let him rot in LA whenever he gets to that freak show of a fake ass douche city.

It's documented that Kawhi went to the funeral, relax.
Sixers2125
Junior
And1: 123

Post#2378 » by Sixers2125 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:23 am

Kyle Oquinn declined his option. Would be very good option to take over the backup center role.

Sent from my XT1650 using RealGM mobile app
Ericb5
RealGM

Post#2379 » by Ericb5 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:52 am

Sixers2125 wrote:Kyle Oquinn declined his option. Would be very good option to take over the backup center role.

Sent from my XT1650 using RealGM mobile app

Thought the same thing when I read that.

BballMania47
Senior
And1: 315

Post#2380 » by BballMania47 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:08 pm

Don’t really like the Sixers doing any trades with the Lakers, even swapping picks. Especially on draft day.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers