ImageImageImage

Hope I'm wrong, but I think the Sixers are due for a tumble

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

WMDman
Rookie
And1: 466

Re: Hope I'm wrong, but I think the Sixers are due for a tumble 

Post#101 » by WMDman » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:28 am

i have a feeling you really were hoping you weren't gonna be wrong....
HoopsMalone
Veteran
And1: 1,548

Post#102 » by HoopsMalone » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:29 am

I hate every freaking move Coleangelo has made. Every single one. Guy has nearly completely ruined this title opportunity Hinkie built. That Tatum trade could not look worse. Bayless signing? Trading a 2nd rd pick for Booker? Amir signing? Getting zilch for noel/okafor because he was too scared to trade them years ago? Even the Redick signing has been bad (not monumentally bad, but bad).

This is a three man team and he has gutted the picks/prospects Hinkie has acquired to try to win 40 games while they're 22.
LongLiveHinkie
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#103 » by LongLiveHinkie » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:31 am

sixers238 wrote:I really don't get it. We should be much better than this...at least a tier above the teams we're losing to.

You have to recalibrate your expectations. The Sixers aren't better than this. They are a deeply flawed team that is poorly coached. They need several things to go right for them to win games. Embiid and Simmons need to play well and Redick and Covington both need to shoot lights out. If one or more of those things don't go well, then we don't win games. Period. Doesn't matter who we're playing. We can't overcome much adversity at all in games.

Hey, maybe this is just a "rut" and the Sixers will magically play a lot better, but this is about 3 straight weeks now. It's a pretty large sample. I think this is kinda just who we are. I tried to tell people the other day that I don't think we are a playoff team.
76ersMike
Freshman
And1: 4

Post#104 » by 76ersMike » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:31 am

Upcoming schedule looks like a 2 - 6 stint coming up too. We are a year away from being a playoff team and that's if embiid can stay healthy which is probably 50/50.
BigSleep333
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,632

Post#105 » by BigSleep333 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:44 am

HoopsMalone wrote:I hate every freaking move Coleangelo has made. Every single one. Guy has nearly completely ruined this title opportunity Hinkie built. That Tatum trade could not look worse. Bayless signing? Trading a 2nd rd pick for Booker? Amir signing? Getting zilch for noel/okafor because he was too scared to trade them years ago? Even the Redick signing has been bad (not monumentally bad, but bad).

This is a three man team and he has gutted the picks/prospects Hinkie has acquired to try to win 40 games while they're 22.

the booker trade was phenomenal good. we wouldnt have used the 2nd anyway and booker is a nice benchplayer. but yeah, BC sucks in general.
LongLiveHinkie
RealGM

Post#106 » by LongLiveHinkie » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:49 am

HoopsMalone wrote:I hate every freaking move Coleangelo has made. Every single one. Guy has nearly completely ruined this title opportunity Hinkie built. That Tatum trade could not look worse. Bayless signing? Trading a 2nd rd pick for Booker? Amir signing? Getting zilch for noel/okafor because he was too scared to trade them years ago? Even the Redick signing has been bad (not monumentally bad, but bad).

I couldn't disagree with this more. Noel and Okafor suck, they had no value. The Fultz trade was fine, he's going to be a great player he's just hurt. That's the least of our worries. Bayless is what it is, they wanted to give Simmons a veteran shooter to stretch the floor with and handle the ball some last season to help him develop. Then both of them got hurt and missed the season. Redick signing was fine, they're just using him poorly and over-using him.
agiaco
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#107 » by agiaco » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:55 am

LongLiveHinkie wrote:

I couldn't disagree with this more. Noel and Okafor suck, they had no value. The Fultz trade was fine, he's going to be a great player he's just hurt. That's the least of our worries. Bayless is what it is, they wanted to give Simmons a veteran shooter to stretch the floor with and handle the ball some last season to help him develop. Then both of them got hurt and missed the season. Redick signing was fine, they're just using him poorly and over-using him.

Agree. The post you quoted is over the top.
LongLiveHinkie
RealGM

Post#108 » by LongLiveHinkie » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:26 pm

The process haters are starting to crawl out of the woodwork again after being quiet for a while. A couple mocking Sixers pieces out today. Not gonna shut em up til we start winning some games.
DrJ83
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#109 » by DrJ83 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:05 pm

Looks like a 1-12 steak when it's all over. I'm guessing Brett Brown is gone after the first of the year.
DrJ83
Ballboy

Post#110 » by DrJ83 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:06 pm

LongLiveHinkie wrote:The process haters are starting to crawl out of the woodwork again after being quiet for a while. A couple mocking Sixers pieces out today. Not gonna shut em up til we start winning some games.

Part of it is Embiid talking so much crap on social media too. The guy isn't going to play 50 games, I would think he would keep his mouth shut.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,015

Post#111 » by Bum Adebayo » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:27 pm

DrJ83 wrote:
LongLiveHinkie wrote:The process haters are starting to crawl out of the woodwork again after being quiet for a while. A couple mocking Sixers pieces out today. Not gonna shut em up til we start winning some games.

Part of it is Embiid talking so much crap on social media too. The guy isn't going to play 50 games, I would think he would keep his mouth shut.

No, he can talk all smack he wants, the idea that he can only talk smack if healthy is ridiculous.
Great takes since 2024-04-20
DrJ83
Ballboy

Post#112 » by DrJ83 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:13 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:
DrJ83 wrote:

No, he can talk all smack he wants, the idea that he can only talk smack if healthy is ridiculous.

Sure he can but he looks like a fool.
ET Da Gawd
Sixth Man
And1: 367

Post#113 » by ET Da Gawd » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:29 pm

Lol at people acting like the rosters gonna have a huge shakeup, this is the team you fools, BC and BB like players who can’t score so this is what we got...and for all that “defense” BB does, defense still trash lol...it’s gonna be an ugly 2018

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HoopsMalone
Veteran
And1: 1,548

Post#114 » by HoopsMalone » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:40 pm

So here's my analysis as an outsider:

With young teams a lot of times people think their team has tons of potential. Minnesota with Lavine, Wiggins, Towns is a great example. They come in the league and show some scoring flashes and everyone just assumes they'll become good defenders eventually. This seldom happens.

The 76ers on the other hand have a lineup with Simmons at PG and Embiid at Center. Embiid has the potential to be DPOY with a little more seasoning. At the very least he's a high impact defender. Simmons plays a position where typically you trade defense for offense. But in his case you just have to hope he develops an improved offensive game. This is extremely likely. He also has positional versatility to defend against bigs/smalls which allows you to get your best players on the floor and demonstrate serious flexibility when injuries hit. Lastly, you've already got an elite wing who fills the 3&D role well in Covington. Locked into a far below market deal

Right now your biggest issues are pretty easily rectified. You've got horrifying depth and very limited role players. With cap space and a cupboard of draft picks. It's pretty pathetic how poorly Coleangelo has squandered your assets and available cap space so far but thankfully he was wise enough to sign guys to short term deals. This year there is no cap space around the league so you will have your pick of the litter. Realistically you are just one good player away and some internal development from your youth from being a really good team.

Right now you're the 20th best offense. Which sounds awful. But you're doing this essentially with two rookies and mostly hot garbage surrounding them. You're a whopping 1.4 pts/100 possessions behind the median offense. That's one miscommunication turned into a basket. You're only 2.7 points away from being a top 10 offense. Find a 1.0 upgrade in free agency, Simmons gain a point off shooting ability, and embiid gain 0.7 off improved spacing and you're there.

Defensively is where all your potential really lies. Right now you're 11th but only 3 points/100 possessions from 4th. That's trading guys like Bayless in for contributors with a pulse. That's moving Saric out of 38 minutes to a bench role where he belongs.
ziggy77
Sophomore
And1: 51

Post#115 » by ziggy77 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:45 pm

Sure Embiid is really talented and good. But oh man, so many stupid moves and possessions, boneheaded plays, terrible decisions when double teamed (it is so simple, get rid of the freaking ball immediately when they do that), wrong passes, then no passes, and just overall blackholing the offense when he gets the ball. I really like the guy, but jeez...
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,451

Post#116 » by Eyeamok » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:55 pm

ziggy77 wrote:Sure Embiid is really talented and good. But oh man, so many stupid moves and possessions, boneheaded plays, terrible decisions when double teamed [b(it is so simple, get rid of the freaking ball immediately when they do that)][/b], wrong passes, then no passes, and just overall blackholing the offense when he gets the ball. I really like the guy, but jeez...

It's quite obvious you have never played in the NBA. The game moves at an incredible speed, the players have great length and move very fast. A lot faster than they do at your local basketball court or the Y. Get back to me and tell me how easy and simple it is when you are playing in that environment.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
LongLiveHinkie
RealGM

Post#117 » by LongLiveHinkie » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:24 pm

Eyeamok wrote:
ziggy77 wrote:Sure Embiid is really talented and good. But oh man, so many stupid moves and possessions, boneheaded plays, terrible decisions when double teamed [b(it is so simple, get rid of the freaking ball immediately when they do that)][/b], wrong passes, then no passes, and just overall blackholing the offense when he gets the ball. I really like the guy, but jeez...

It's quite obvious you have never played in the NBA. The game moves at an incredible speed, the players have great length and move very fast. A lot faster than they do at your local basketball court or the Y. Get back to me and tell me how easy and simple it is when you are playing in that environment.

There's a lot of posters with NBA experience on this Sixers board
ziggy77
Sophomore
And1: 51

Post#118 » by ziggy77 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:22 am

The problem is that he has so many possessions when he is in, so of course he is gonna score, showcase his talent and speciality. But we need to start ask ourselves how many possessions he screws up by just making dumb decisions and just forcing the issue. Never understood that multiple forcing that NBA stars do like 5 times in the row then the hit 2-5 or 6 and all 5-6 shots were terrible looks (or just go YOLO and shoot over the defender with no apparent reason with 20sec rest), add to that slow reaction to double team, letting the shot clock go down and i'm not sure that when we count all of those things up it has positive effect. Maybe im wrong and iso is still relevant, but no matter of that, he needs to start playing much much smarter and stop with this hero ball **** that will never give you a title in todays game.
TeamHigh
Junior
And1: 173

Post#119 » by TeamHigh » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:14 am

ziggy77 wrote:The problem is that he has so many possessions when he is in, so of course he is gonna score, showcase his talent and speciality. But we need to start ask ourselves how many possessions he screws up by just making dumb decisions and just forcing the issue. Never understood that multiple forcing that NBA stars do like 5 times in the row then the hit 2-5 or 6 and all 5-6 shots were terrible looks (or just go YOLO and shoot over the defender with no apparent reason with 20sec rest), add to that slow reaction to double team, letting the shot clock go down and i'm not sure that when we count all of those things up it has positive effect. Maybe im wrong and iso is still relevant, but no matter of that, he needs to start playing much much smarter and stop with this hero ball **** that will never give you a title in todays game.

This is an awful take. It obviously doesn't hurt the offense too much because they're 108.7 Ortg when he's on and 103.3 when he's off, per bbref. He also has a usage north of 33 so of course he's going to turn the ball over. When you ask a player to shoulder a huge burden on offense and force them to create baskets from nothing, you're going to get turnovers. James Harden averages 4.5 TOV a game, which is down from last year's 5.7. And his handle is as good as anyone's.

Of course Joel Embiid can continue to improve, but he's not bad at recognizing and passing out of the double like you claim.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,202

Post#120 » by ProcessDoctor » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:14 am

I predict today's win will mark the end of the team's tumble. I expect us to surprise some folks and go 3-0 on this upcoming road trip.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Payne/Downtin
Maxey/Melton/Hield
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba

Return to Philadelphia 76ers