ImageImageImage

EAGLES WIN SUPER BOWL LII! 2018 CHAMPS!!!

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,790

Re: EAGLES WIN SUPER BOWL LII! 2018 CHAMPS!!! 

Post#441 » by Negrodamus » Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:30 am

Sixersftw wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:Hurts was def the most important player in the game, not sure valuable. Played a great game, but that fumble, in a game where neither defense was really showing up, was the difference in this game.

The fumble sucked but even still it was a 10 point lead going into halftime. Defense, Special teams and possibly the worst call in SB history comes before it imo.

Gannon got boat raced in the 2nd half

Yea, 10 pts, but we were cruising at that point. The first half was excellent scoring and at least a decent defense. Would have given us a 17 point cushion and forced Mahomes to do more things on a bum ankle.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,104

Post#442 » by Kobblehead » Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:37 am

It just sucks because SOOOO many things have to go your way to get to a Super Bowl. Even super talented teams have to rely on so much luck when it comes to health, schedule, playoff matchups, motivating players, etc.

So we just lost an opportunity to cash in on another championship against an inferior opponent that we were controlling for half a football game.
XtremeDunkz
General Manager
And1: 6,815

Post#443 » by XtremeDunkz » Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:41 am

I'm a Packers fan so I had no dog in this fight. The officiating was pretty even. The eagles benefited from a few 50/50 calls like the overturned fumble and the Goedert 3rd and long catch. That was a hold at the end. If it's a penalty in the 1st quarter it's a penalty at the end.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
10/27/16
Nemesis21 wrote:It is absolutely hilarious hearing people still say Embiid has superstar potential.The guy is one injury away from being Greg Oden.:lol: Except Oden manged to play over 100 games in the NBA, I don't think Embiid will play more.
SixthStreet
Sixth Man
And1: 1,538

Post#444 » by SixthStreet » Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:45 am

Not only all that, but a rookie wage scale QB. This team was built to win now. It's painful. Gannon, if still here, is going to have to do more with less because Hurt's new cap figure is going to come at the expense of the defensive FA talent. I have very little to no faith he can do more with less. I don't know if it's possible to try to steal Fangio from the Dolphins still but I'd try to see if I can convince Fangio to rip up the Dolphins deal if Gannon gets the Cardinals job.

Hurts played a great game but I think the tape study is going to show he was flustered by zone behind blitzes. He's got to become better at getting the ball out of his hands quicker. I've read this is partly Hurts and partly the offensive scheme but this is probably going to be the book on the offense and Hurts until they figure it out. I'm optimistic that Hurts and Sirianni will figure it out though.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,133

Post#445 » by Arsenal » Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:58 am

Fire the DC and ST coach into the sun.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,801

Post#446 » by Mik317 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:05 am

not even a big football fan but this game made me wonder if I can even enjoy sports any more lol. This felt like the Hawks series and the Kawhii shot.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
Embiid P
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,072

Post#447 » by Embiid P » Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:15 am

SixthStreet wrote:Not only all that, but a rookie wage scale QB. This team was built to win now. It's painful. Gannon, if still here, is going to have to do more with less because Hurt's new cap figure is going to come at the expense of the defensive FA talent. I have very little to no faith he can do more with less. I don't know if it's possible to try to steal Fangio from the Dolphins still but I'd try to see if I can convince Fangio to rip up the Dolphins deal if Gannon gets the Cardinals job.

Hurts played a great game but I think the tape study is going to show he was flustered by zone behind blitzes. He's got to become better at getting the ball out of his hands quicker. I've read this is partly Hurts and partly the offensive scheme but this is probably going to be the book on the offense and Hurts until they figure it out. I'm optimistic that Hurts and Sirianni will figure it out though.

Hence why you really have to hit on your draft picks especially your early ones. That's why Mahomes and Brady have/had been able to make it to the Super Bowl year after year despite making much more than Hurts. We got the #10 and #30 picks which definitely helps. Howie just has to hit on them. The defensive line needs to get younger and faster badly.
Embiid P
Lead Assistant

Post#448 » by Embiid P » Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:20 am

Kobblehead wrote:Now I know exactly how Pats fans felt back in 2018 watching their garbage defensive coordinator getting torched and unable to get a stop and yet somehow he's a head coaching candidate.

Jonathan Gannon is the worst defensive coordinator we've had since Billy Davis. There's going to be a huge addition by subtraction once he's gone. Just gotta hope the Cardinals give him the gig.

I hope you're right. I get that Mahomes is generally really good vs. the blitz but they got absolutely no pressure on him all game even on a bum ankle. Inexcusable. I just fear that this performance will cause other teams to get cold feet when it comes to hiring him and we are stuck with him again next year because "We made it to the Super Bowl".
Phila Tough
Head Coach
And1: 2,859

Post#449 » by Phila Tough » Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:44 am

DaGawd wrote:lmaooo

:lol: no way a fan of a new York team did this. All you teams suck in ever sport lmao
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,713

Post#450 » by the_process » Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:32 am

Mik317 wrote:not even a big football fan but this game made me wonder if I can even enjoy sports any more lol. This felt like the Hawks series and the Kawhii shot.

This is kinda how I already felt. I just am not sure what hobby would replace the time :lol:
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,876

Post#451 » by mjkvol » Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:49 am

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:
mjkvol wrote:
ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:
I'm ready to end my NFL watching. It's gotten stale over the last few years. I'm just done at this point. I KNEW this game would end exactly how it did.

I quit watching the NFL a couple of years ago. I pay attention to what's happening, but the games have become borderline unwatchable with the endless stoppages and the hideous officiating. I peeked in on the second half of the SB because it was free to stream (we cut the cord a few months ago), and I'm sorry I did.

Yeah I'm right there with ya at this point. NBA isn't far behind to be honest.

I'm at the playoffs only point with the NBA, and really it will probably be limited to the Sixers.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,876

Post#452 » by mjkvol » Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:56 am

SixthStreet wrote:Not only all that, but a rookie wage scale QB. This team was built to win now. It's painful. Gannon, if still here, is going to have to do more with less because Hurt's new cap figure is going to come at the expense of the defensive FA talent. I have very little to no faith he can do more with less. I don't know if it's possible to try to steal Fangio from the Dolphins still but I'd try to see if I can convince Fangio to rip up the Dolphins deal if Gannon gets the Cardinals job.

You're right that this was a win-now group, and even though the Eagles are fixed well with draft picks and youth at key spots, paying Hurts will definitely affect depth in all areas.

Another huge factor is health - aside from Hurts' late season injury, which didn't hurt much due to the Eagles already pretty much having clinched home field, they were very fortunate to be as healthy as they were going into the playoffs. That is something very unlikely to occur again in consecutive years.

The hangover effect from this year will be something for Sirianni to watch as well.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
MVP1992
Rookie
And1: 548

Post#453 » by MVP1992 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:29 pm

I'm a noob to NFL. Only watched because two Aussies Jordan Mailata and Arryn Sipos are on the Eagles.

Q: can someone please explain why when there was 56 secs to go the chiefs were allowed to just stand around and their coach had a 45 sec chinwag with the ref's before taking a kick for goal just wasting time?
Mr. Biden shot back: “You’ve got more questions? Well, I tell you what, if you have a problem figuring out whether you’re for me or Trump, then you ain’t Black.”
Jailblazers7
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,408

Post#454 » by Jailblazers7 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:31 pm

That felt like straight up fraud watching it in real time. Enough to make me kinda believe the “NFL is scripted” conspiracy.
Embiid P
Lead Assistant

Post#455 » by Embiid P » Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:57 pm

XtremeDunkz wrote:I'm a Packers fan so I had no dog in this fight. The officiating was pretty even. The eagles benefited from a few 50/50 calls like the overturned fumble and the Goedert 3rd and long catch. That was a hold at the end. If it's a penalty in the 1st quarter it's a penalty at the end.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

The refs were correct to overturn the Sanders fumble. The defender knocked the ball out of his hands before he could make a football move which by rule is an incomplete pass.
Jailblazers7
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,408

Post#456 » by Jailblazers7 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:49 pm

That call was the equivalent of calling a ticky tack foul during game 7 of Cavs/Warriors and having the game decided by FTs. The NFL had an all time classic Super Bowl on their hands and that call ruined it.

I’m not a fan of either team but that call pissed me off.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#457 » by Arsenal » Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:43 pm

MVP1992 wrote:I'm a noob to NFL. Only watched because two Aussies Jordan Mailata and Arryn Sipos are on the Eagles.

Q: can someone please explain why when there was 56 secs to go the chiefs were allowed to just stand around and their coach had a 45 sec chinwag with the ref's before taking a kick for goal just wasting time?

Because there is a 40 sec play clock. The offense has 40 seconds before they need to run a play. Since the Eagles were out of timeouts, the Chiefs ran down the entire play clock to ensure the Eagles wouldn't have much time left.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#458 » by Arsenal » Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:45 pm

mjkvol wrote:

You're right that this was a win-now group, and even though the Eagles are fixed well with draft picks and youth at key spots, paying Hurts will definitely affect depth in all areas.

Another huge factor is health - aside from Hurts' late season injury, which didn't hurt much due to the Eagles already pretty much having clinched home field, they were very fortunate to be as healthy as they were going into the playoffs. That is something very unlikely to occur again in consecutive years.

The hangover effect from this year will be something for Sirianni to watch as well.

Yeah this one hurts because it's the best Eagles team we've seen, even better than 2017. Plus they had this game except for a couple of fluky plays. And it will be difficult to get back to this position as we were fortunate with injuries all season.
sodmoraes
Rookie
And1: 536

Post#459 » by sodmoraes » Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:56 pm

I´m not that much of a fan of american football but watched the game. What a bulls*** call to end the super bowl, sorry for the eagles fans. I thought that the eagles defense were good ( atleast that was what people were saying on the television), but they couldnt get any stops. The Chiefs got what they wanted every time when they were attacking..
[quote:bba5df4c1f="hornetstime"]jr smith will be out of this league in 2 years, book it.[/quote]
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,790

Post#460 » by Negrodamus » Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:49 pm

sodmoraes wrote:I´m not that much of a fan of american football but watched the game. What a bulls*** call to end the super bowl, sorry for the eagles fans. I thought that the eagles defense were good ( atleast that was what people were saying on the television), but they couldnt get any stops. The Chiefs got what they wanted every time when they were attacking..

Not an excuse because the Chiefs had to deal with the same thing, but I feel like our rushers rely on speed and agility off the edge and the field being a complete disaster likely affected us pressuring the QB. Once again, affected them too, so it's not an excuse. The defense just seems to be predicated on the QB pressure and Reddick looked like he was on a slip-n-slide the entire game.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers