ImageImageImage

Who will get buckets in the playoffs?

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 5,990

Re: Who will get buckets in the playoffs? 

Post#21 » by spikeslovechild » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:25 pm

76ciology wrote:
Kolkmania wrote:We'll live and die by the three, simple as that. Our roster is not built for the PO and if we can't push the pace we have to rely on contested jumpers. If everything clicks we can beat anyone, but if we'll go through a mini slump than we'll face a first round exit.

I find our heavy post/cut offense surrounded by shooters and near elite defense is suited for the play-offs.

Yeah if it is one thing that will kill us it's the turnovers
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,472

Post#22 » by youngcrev » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:35 pm

Teams already sag off Ben, double/triple team Embiid, and chase/grab JJ all over the floor, so it's not like they'll be completely off guard by this kind of stuff.
KKell2507
Starter
And1: 507

Post#23 » by KKell2507 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:07 pm

It's going to sound a bit wacky, because hes not the guy you'd expect, but Dario is going to need to be HUGE for us in the playoffs. He may very well need to be that guy. He's in an enviable spot, where he almost always will have a mismatch. Hes shown hes crafty enough that he can take defenders off the dribble, if hes got a big guy with slower lateral quickness. And his shot is so improved that he can shoot over smaller guys at will either from 3 or in the post.

We are such a mismatch nightmare for just about every team in the league that we will have an advantage somewhere. We just need to make sure the young guys recognize it and spoonfeed it in the playoffs more so than ever. And I personally think more often than not, Dario is going to be that guy with the mismatch.

Playoff teams are smart and playoff defenses can take away your 1st, 2nd, and sometimes 3rd options. Dario is usually option 4 on most nights. Embiid will draw the big guy + a double on every dribble he takes. Simmons will likely have a wing checking him to prevent him from bullying in the post or getting a head of steam to the rim on a big guy. The opposing PGs will likely get the assignment of keeping up with JJ through screens. That leaves Covington who will always get a hand in his face by whoever is guarding him, whether hes hitting or not. And Dario, who will likely get the weak link of the opposition. Whether that's a SG that he takes to the post or a PF that he takes outside and goes off the dribble. Either way, we are going to have to utilize it. And how Dario plays may determine how far we advance.

Sent from my [device_name] using [url]RealGM mobile app[/url]
ivysixer2000
General Manager
And1: 2,033

Post#24 » by ivysixer2000 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:04 pm

KKell2507 wrote:It's going to sound a bit wacky, because hes not the guy you'd expect, but Dario is going to need to be HUGE for us in the playoffs. He may very well need to be that guy. He's in an enviable spot, where he almost always will have a mismatch. Hes shown hes crafty enough that he can take defenders off the dribble, if hes got a big guy with slower lateral quickness. And his shot is so improved that he can shoot over smaller guys at will either from 3 or in the post.

We are such a mismatch nightmare for just about every team in the league that we will have an advantage somewhere. We just need to make sure the young guys recognize it and spoonfeed it in the playoffs more so than ever. And I personally think more often than not, Dario is going to be that guy with the mismatch.

Playoff teams are smart and playoff defenses can take away your 1st, 2nd, and sometimes 3rd options. Dario is usually option 4 on most nights. Embiid will draw the big guy + a double on every dribble he takes. Simmons will likely have a wing checking him to prevent him from bullying in the post or getting a head of steam to the rim on a big guy. The opposing PGs will likely get the assignment of keeping up with JJ through screens. That leaves Covington who will always get a hand in his face by whoever is guarding him, whether hes hitting or not. And Dario, who will likely get the weak link of the opposition. Whether that's a SG that he takes to the post or a PF that he takes outside and goes off the dribble. Either way, we are going to have to utilize it. And how Dario plays may determine how far we advance.

Sent from my [device_name] using [url]RealGM mobile app[/url]

Nice post, my biggest fear is Roco going ice cold and/or a bad matchup for Dario. Could decide a series for us, really. Embiid can step up his D come playoff time, not worried about him. Ben will have to be aggressive the whole game, instead of just parts of it. JJ will just be JJ, probably the same if not a lil drop off come playoff time. Marco, Ersan, and Amir will probably be quite similar to what they are right now, only with less mins. I don't think we will see much of TJ, unless its the 5 mins Ben isn't on the court.

Roco and Dario will be receiving playoff mins, with Dario maybe splitting alot with Ersan of course. I do believe Dario is a huge key, but he can be replaced with Ersan if he isn't playing well. Roco on the other hand can't be replaced by anyone. I believe Roco is the biggest key, then Dario. Roco is a roller coaster on offense, we can beat anyone if he is shooting well, lose to anyone if he is passive or ice cold.

Roco playing well on offense changes the game for us really, which is why I'm so hard on him offensively. He is long enough to get his shot off against anyone, its just a matter of if they are going in. I would rather someone run at him, he gets better height on his jumper so it might work out well for him in the playoffs, but who knows. I do know one thing, if he plays well, we could go alot farther than is thought at the moment.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,106

Post#25 » by Kobblehead » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:06 pm

Role players are usually the guys that don't come up huge in the playoffs against the tighter defense. I don't expect J.J., Robert or Dario to be a difference maker or play above their means. Just gotta hope to get expected value out of them.
ivysixer2000
General Manager
And1: 2,033

Post#26 » by ivysixer2000 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:23 pm

JJ has already shown in the past that he can't raise his game. Dario probably can't either, really. I do believe Roco can do more than average single digits with extended mins in a playoff series though (9.8 last month), and believe he shouldn't be grouped with them.

Roco will probably get like 40 mins a game, more will be required of him come playoff time whereas we have Marco for JJ and Ersan for Dario. We have noone for Roco.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#27 » by Sixerscan » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:36 pm

Kobblehead wrote:
eso3 wrote:Is Trae Young the guy we should aim at? Are there any scorers in the mid teens?

The three surefire shotcreaters that could be available with the Lakers pick are Trae, Collin Sexton and Shai Gilgeous-Alexander.

Trae and Collin offer dynamic scoring. SGA offers 2-way play because he's an excellent defender with a freaky 7 foot wingspan.

Personally, I'm all-in on SGA. I think he's going to special.

Counting on a late lottery pick 19 year old to be able to create shots efficiently in a playoff series anytime soon seems unwise.
eso3
Sophomore
And1: 75

Post#28 » by eso3 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:48 am

If he builds on what he did tonight, Fultz might eventually be the bucket getter. Nobody is giving him that responsibility in this playoffs, but he could be that guy in the future, right?

Or maybe I’m just really hyped with his return lol.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
Von Bismarck
Pro Prospect
And1: 651

Post#29 » by Von Bismarck » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:33 pm

Kobblehead wrote:Role players are usually the guys that don't come up huge in the playoffs against the tighter defense. I don't expect J.J., Robert or Dario to be a difference maker or play above their means. Just gotta hope to get expected value out of them.

Dario Saric is not a role player though. You cannot label 15-7-3 guy that shoots 40% from beyond the arc - a role player. Dario has so many skills, jack of all trades, that he simply cannot be a role player. Not an All-Star (yet?), but not a role playe either definitely.

Some of you guys still don't realize that Dario Saric is your 3rd guy for 76ers dynasty. Well, you will learn soon enough if you still haven't by now.

I understand most of this board is thrilled with Fultz's return, hyped and all that, but considering Ben Simmons is here, Fultz simply becomes irrelevant. Ben Simmons as a PG will eventually become a HoF player.
JoJoEmbiid
Senior
And1: 151

Post#30 » by JoJoEmbiid » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:44 pm

Other than Ben and Jo, I’m expecting JJ and Dario to really step up and hoping Fultz can carry the load off the bench.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,804

Post#31 » by HotelVitale » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:45 pm

Von Bismarck wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:Role players are usually the guys that don't come up huge in the playoffs against the tighter defense. I don't expect J.J., Robert or Dario to be a difference maker or play above their means. Just gotta hope to get expected value out of them.
Some of you guys still don't realize that Dario Saric is your 3rd guy for 76ers dynasty. Well, you will learn soon enough if you still haven't by now. I understand most of this board is thrilled with Fultz's return, hyped and all that, but considering Ben Simmons is here, Fultz simply becomes irrelevant. Ben Simmons as a PG will eventually become a HoF player.

Not sure where you're going with this. Dario's been great for us but he can't really create for himself--he has weak quickness, hops, and explosion so he can't take the ball and make something happen. He hustles and hunts for opportunities like a mad man but he's pretty helpless against a locked-in defense, there's just nothing for him to do. Don't see how he can be 'the 3rd guy' on a team that still desperately needs a shot creator/scorer in the half court.

Fultz was drafted 100% to complement Simmons, and that remains a great idea. Simmons is a killer in transition and moves the ball beautifully, and the idea behind Fultz was that he a) can get buckets in the halfcourt any time he wants to and b) can play off ball with his shooting and close-outs and c) can move the ball well too and keep it moving. In theory he's a perfect complement and there's zero problem with overlap.
ziggy77
Sophomore
And1: 51

Post#32 » by ziggy77 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:28 am

HotelVitale wrote:
Von Bismarck wrote:
Some of you guys still don't realize that Dario Saric is your 3rd guy for 76ers dynasty. Well, you will learn soon enough if you still haven't by now. I understand most of this board is thrilled with Fultz's return, hyped and all that, but considering Ben Simmons is here, Fultz simply becomes irrelevant. Ben Simmons as a PG will eventually become a HoF player.

Not sure where you're going with this. Dario's been great for us but he can't really create for himself--he has weak quickness, hops, and explosion so he can't take the ball and make something happen. He hustles and hunts for opportunities like a mad man but he's pretty helpless against a locked-in defense, there's just nothing for him to do. Don't see how he can be 'the 3rd guy' on a team that still desperately needs a shot creator/scorer in the half court.

Fultz was drafted 100% to complement Simmons, and that remains a great idea. Simmons is a killer in transition and moves the ball beautifully, and the idea behind Fultz was that he a) can get buckets in the halfcourt any time he wants to and b) can play off ball with his shooting and close-outs and c) can move the ball well too and keep it moving. In theory he's a perfect complement and there's zero problem with overlap.

Dude, Dario can face up and take many PF of the dribble and in the high post. Also, guys smaller then him are missmatch, because he can also post up. But that is just not his role in this team. He broke poor Jerebko's (not saying Jerebko is defensive stopper or anything) ankles last year. Also the thing is, you don't need 3 main guys that need the ball.
HotelVitale
RealGM

Post#33 » by HotelVitale » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:56 pm

ziggy77 wrote:[Dude, Dario can face up and take many PF of the dribble and in the high post. Also, guys smaller then him are missmatch, because he can also post up. But that is just not his role in this team. He broke poor Jerebko's (not saying Jerebko is defensive stopper or anything) ankles last year. Also the thing is, you don't need 3 main guys that need the ball.

Love Dario but, no, he can't blow post many PFs. He rarely does that and when he does it's more about catching them off guard than using pure ability to get them leaning. He does have what Zach Lowe called his 'tea time' low post moves--where he takes like 8-10 seconds to back a guy into the right position--and he can sometimes do that or take a couple dribbles and shoot a step back. But he's not close to a go-to option where you can give him the ball and let him go to work. And in international play Dario was famous for being inconsistent--some days his timing was perfect and he would get you 25, then he'd turn in what looked like a decent game and you'd look at the box score and see he had 7 pts. Wouldn't be surprised if Dario has some 20+ games in the playoffs but he's not going to be a creator or go-to for us down the stretch consistently.

(Also I remember talking about the Jerebko play here--Dario barely made a move, he just started to dribble to one side and Jerebko fell over. You're remembering that wrong if you thought there was some sick high-wire crossover or something.)
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#34 » by Sixerscan » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:23 pm

You guys should take a look around at some of the third options on other eastern conference playoff teams before you dismiss Dario in that role. Very few role players matching his production and efficiency.
HotelVitale
RealGM

Post#35 » by HotelVitale » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:08 pm

Sixerscan wrote:You guys should take a look around at some of the third options on other eastern conference playoff teams before you dismiss Dario in that role. Very few role players matching his production and efficiency.

Need to consider the question and context before getting yourself into a meaningless comparison. We're talking about shot creation and not spotting up, and most high-level teams have a usage-hog megastar who can effortlessly create something very good: TOR has Lowry and Derozan, BOS Kyrie, and CLE Lebron, all of them can theoretically use up like 50 possessions in a playoff game. And there are reliable second options for when they're sitting or doubled (Horford/Tatum, Love, the other of Lowry/Derozan, etc) who can usually have the offense run through them for stretches with solid efficiency. Then the third/fourth options behind them (the guys like J Brown/Rozier, Clarkson/Hood, etc) just need to hold the line and keep the offense going enough to take some heat off the real offensive stars. Those guys sometimes get hot and help win playoff games but they're not expected to carry the load.

The question is being posed because we don't have a dominant vet go-to guy to lean on for most of the game. Simmons is a low usage primary initiator and is still mostly a transition beast, and Embiid's still shaky as a first option because of his shot selection, TOs, etc (he's also been very reliant on that foul-baiting swim move, and I suspect that'll be less useful in the playoffs when teams are expecting it). The whole point of this question is that: most teams need their third-tier initiators to be competent for like 15 minutes a night, but we actually need someone to step up quite a bit in the PO when defenses are locking down tight. I expect Dario to be able to do some damage in the playoffs and maybe do a little more creating than he usually does in some games, but he's not going to solve the problem that we have with an offense reliant on 3 pt shooting, cuts, and hustle and ball movement (i.e. the same thing that leads to us having huge TO totals). And I don't see any way in which the answer to 'who will get buckets' is 'force Dario to iso for an extra 5 or 6 plays per game' like you all seem to be saying.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,106

Post#36 » by Kobblehead » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:15 pm

Dario will hit assisted shots. OP is asking who will go get buckets. Ala when the offense stalls and we need someone to create their own shot. Expecting Dario, Robert or J.J. to cape up and be able to do that is just unreasonable, IMO.
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#37 » by Ericb5 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:42 pm

I love Dario, but he isn’t going to get buckets for us when we need someone to individually do that.

Fultz is the only guy on the team with that skill set, but he is still a baby. That’s why I fear that we won’t perform well in the playoffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ziggy77
Sophomore
And1: 51

Post#38 » by ziggy77 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:25 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
ziggy77 wrote:[Dude, Dario can face up and take many PF of the dribble and in the high post. Also, guys smaller then him are missmatch, because he can also post up. But that is just not his role in this team. He broke poor Jerebko's (not saying Jerebko is defensive stopper or anything) ankles last year. Also the thing is, you don't need 3 main guys that need the ball.

Love Dario but, no, he can't blow post many PFs. He rarely does that and when he does it's more about catching them off guard than using pure ability to get them leaning. He does have what Zach Lowe called his 'tea time' low post moves--where he takes like 8-10 seconds to back a guy into the right position--and he can sometimes do that or take a couple dribbles and shoot a step back. But he's not close to a go-to option where you can give him the ball and let him go to work. And in international play Dario was famous for being inconsistent--some days his timing was perfect and he would get you 25, then he'd turn in what looked like a decent game and you'd look at the box score and see he had 7 pts. Wouldn't be surprised if Dario has some 20+ games in the playoffs but he's not going to be a creator or go-to for us down the stretch consistently.

(Also I remember talking about the Jerebko play here--Dario barely made a move, he just started to dribble to one side and Jerebko fell over. You're remembering that wrong if you thought there was some sick high-wire crossover or something.)

Well ok, i understand. But still you are selling him too short. Watch some highlights and video of the last year where he had a lot more iso opportunities (second half of the season). I can link it to you if you want. Like his 32 pts against the Bulls, or against the Warriors, Lakers or Sacramento. I'm not saying that he is efficient and great in those situations but he has some skills and he is capable. It's not pretty looking for sure.
eagereyez
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,462

Post#39 » by eagereyez » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:38 pm

The Sixers haven't played iso ball once under Brett Brown, so I don't understand why everyone is looking for them to suddenly start doing that in the playoffs. It's not going to happen. If we need a bucket at the end of the game, Brown will give the ball to Embiid like always.
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#40 » by Ericb5 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:02 pm

eagereyez wrote:The Sixers haven't played iso ball once under Brett Brown, so I don't understand why everyone is looking for them to suddenly start doing that in the playoffs. It's not going to happen. If we need a bucket at the end of the game, Brown will give the ball to Embiid like always.

Well he hasn’t had anyone that has proven that he can do it consistently. Embiid can be doubled and denied the ball. We need a perimeter player that can do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to Philadelphia 76ers