ImageImageImage

Plans for TJ?

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

Plans for TJ next season?

Keep TJ in the rotation, playing 10-15 mpg
41%
TJ is out of the rotation as 3rd string (Fultz running point when Simmons is sitting) but kept as a good locker room presence and fan favorite.
43%
Trade TJ for a pick or better fit
16%

Total votes: 74

sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,595

Plans for TJ? 

Post#1 » by sixerswillrule » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:06 pm

Let's presume that Fults gets around 25 mpg next season, either as a starter or 6th man. What would you then like to do with TJ?
spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 5,990

Re: Plans for TJ? 

Post#2 » by spikeslovechild » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:40 pm

sixerswillrule wrote:Let's presume that Fults gets around 30 mpg next season, either as a starter or 6th man. What would you then like to do with TJ?

Depends on what happens with Belli and JJ.
XDevilBoiX
Head Coach
And1: 2,481

Post#3 » by XDevilBoiX » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:56 pm

Trade him for a draft pick, we’ve seen how limited he is now. His hustle is great and all but we don’t need to tie up cap space for him. He’s replaceable.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,473

Post#4 » by youngcrev » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:58 pm

3rd string PG.

I appreciate TJs contributions to this season and his growth as a player, but he's not an off guard, and Ben and Markelle (assuming he's what we hope he is) should be running this team's offense.

I don't imagine he'd bring back much in a trade, so he'd be a nice player to have on the bench, and he doesn't seem like a guy that rock the boat about his minutes. I'm sure there will also be times next year when we get sloppy and just need a steadying hand.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#5 » by Sixerscan » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:12 pm

I don't think you can count on 30 minutes from Markelle. I think this is a situation where you keep TJ on the roster and if Fultz gets himself right, great, and you accept losing on out on trading TJ for a high second or something.
PLO
Analyst
And1: 1,305

Post#6 » by PLO » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:22 pm

I heard he's been playing through a knee issue of late, is that true?
LakersDynasty14 wrote:Lonzo Ball is literally on a Hall of Fame trajectory at this point. This thread is so full of fail.

shakes0 wrote:I hope they put Simmons on Trae. He'll foul him out by the 3rd quarter. plus Simmons can't stay in front of Trae. No one can.
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,965

Post#7 » by ankle420breaker » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:33 pm

Sixerscan wrote:I don't think you can count on 30 minutes from Markelle. I think this is a situation where you keep TJ on the roster and if Fultz gets himself right, great, and you accept losing on out on trading TJ for a high second or something.

This. TJ is the best insurance policy for the PG position and could still contribute in a reduced role. Keep him here while he's cheap and see how things trend throughout next season.
The Master
Rookie
And1: 1,586

Post#8 » by The Master » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:41 pm

I like TJ very much as a person but as soon he will be out of rotation - Sixers will be stronger.

Unfortunately Brown thinks he can play him as SG what makes lineups with him and Simmons pretty awful.
spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 5,990

Post#9 » by spikeslovechild » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:45 pm

The Master wrote:I like TJ very much as a person but as soon he will be out of rotation - Sixers will be stronger.

Unfortunately Brown thinks he can play him as SG what makes lineups with him and Simmons pretty awful.

Early on Simmons had a turnover problem TJ was there to sort of settle things down. Now he's become the 2nd PG.

I think he should probably be moved in the offseason his value will never be higher but I'm not sweating his role and he makes peanuts.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#10 » by Sixerscan » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:53 pm

The Master wrote:I like TJ very much as a person but as soon he will be out of rotation - Sixers will be stronger.

They had success with that earlier in the year. He went away from it later in the year as TJ began to struggle and Bellineli came aboard. Also as Spike said Ben has improved a lot as a lead ball handler to the point that he doesn't need a caddy anymore.

We may see it more now but I think that is more to accommodate Markelle playing the point while still keeping TJ getting regular minutes versus any sort of thinking that TJ's best position is the 2.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,473

Post#11 » by youngcrev » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:02 pm

Sixerscan wrote:

They had success with that earlier in the year. He went away from it later in the year as TJ began to struggle and Bellineli came aboard. Also as Spike said Ben has improved a lot as a lead ball handler to the point that he doesn't need a caddy anymore.

We may see it more now but I think that is more to accommodate Markelle playing the point while still keeping TJ getting regular minutes versus any sort of thinking that TJ's best position is the 2.

Yeah, I think he's trying to accommodate Markelle, while also hedging his bet that he'll be able to handle that backup PG role come playoff time. I certainly don't think it's a given Fultz will be part of the regular rotation come playoff time after that first game.
wickedwrister
Starter
And1: 1,535

Post#12 » by wickedwrister » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:03 pm

You aren't getting much of a pick for TJ (no one is giving up a 1st etc) so its best to keep him as a cheap rotation player that may pick up some DNPs but can also slide in when you rest people/have injuries.
The feedback I've received from our fans is they understand we are trying to build something great. Good decisions come from having a broad set of options and making tough calls. We will do it unblinkingly. We have to be willing to take smart risks-Hinkie
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,938

Post#13 » by Foshan » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:40 pm

I'm torn between 1 & 2, no way he has the value for a pick, so if he can handle a reduced role with good chemistry (i think he can) then you keep him around. I think he's the perfect guy to help us avoid "trap" games, by bringing some intensity off the bench even after a string of DNPs. In my perfect world, we are bringing back Fultz/JJ/Bridges to eat up most of the extra 1 and then back up 2 mins... so don't see a ton of time available for him.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,107

Post#14 » by Kobblehead » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:59 pm

Packing him with Richaun Holmes and/or Justin Anderson for a fringe rotation player on another team would probably be what I'd explore this summer. A way to create an extra roster spot.
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#15 » by Ericb5 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:54 pm

ankle420breaker wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:I don't think you can count on 30 minutes from Markelle. I think this is a situation where you keep TJ on the roster and if Fultz gets himself right, great, and you accept losing on out on trading TJ for a high second or something.

This. TJ is the best insurance policy for the PG position and could still contribute in a reduced role. Keep him here while he's cheap and see how things trend throughout next season.

He is still cheap next year. The question is whether or not we sign him after next year, and that all comes down to value.

If we can get him for 4 years/15-20 million then why not? We can worry about it then.

My hunch is that he will resign with us on an affordable deal and we will be happy to have him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thenbaman
Sixth Man
And1: 537

Post#16 » by thenbaman » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:02 pm

Ericb5 wrote:
ankle420breaker wrote:

He is still cheap next year. The question is whether or not we sign him after next year, and that all comes down to value.

If we can get him for 4 years/15-20 million then why not? We can worry about it then.

My hunch is that he will resign with us on an affordable deal and we will be happy to have him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree.
TFK
Junior
And1: 226

Post#17 » by TFK » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:03 pm

Keep him around... let him become our new Scotty Brooks
The Master
Rookie

Post#18 » by The Master » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:07 pm

Sixerscan wrote:They had success with that earlier in the year. He went away from it later in the year as TJ began to struggle and Bellineli came aboard.

No, they didn't. Lineup with Simmons and McConnell on a court, without Embiid, is awful since like beginning of a season, in first half of a season this lineup (Ben, Tj on, Embiid off) was -13 net, and Ben was scoring on 44%ts while Sixers had 97ORTG offense. Extremely bad fit used extremely often by Brown all season long.

And he didn't go away with anything, they still played over 100 minutes after ASG together. There were two matches where McConnell didn't play as SG alongside Ben but against Denver again he used this lineup.

In general, I would give him something like 8/2 or 12/3, he's important part of a locker room and he still can play as second PG for 15 minutes a game when someone (Markelle, Ben) is injured. I don't like an idea of trading him because he will be in CY next season, his trade value is like late second rounder.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#19 » by Sixerscan » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:31 pm

The Master wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:They had success with that earlier in the year. He went away from it later in the year as TJ began to struggle and Bellineli came aboard.

No, they didn't. Lineup with Simmons and McConnell on a court, without Embiid, is awful since like beginning of a season, in first half of a season this lineup (Ben, Tj on, Embiid off) was -13 net, and Ben was scoring on 44%ts while Sixers had 97ORTG offense. Extremely bad fit used extremely often by Brown all season long.

And he didn't go away with anything, they still played over 100 minutes after ASG together. There were two matches where McConnell didn't play as SG alongside Ben but against Denver again he used this lineup.

In general, I would give him something like 8/2 or 12/3, he's important part of a locker room and he still can play as second PG for 15 minutes a game when someone (Markelle, Ben) is injured. I don't like an idea of trading him because he will be in CY next season, his trade value is like late second rounder.

Was referring to very early in the year. They were +9 Net playing over 13 mpg together in November. I didn't mean they literally never play together post Bellineli but since the ASB it's been less than half of that number (100 minutes in 17 games) including as you mentioned completely going away from it in a few games last week.

Then they played 11 minutes together last game.
The Master
Rookie

Post#20 » by The Master » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:45 pm

Sixerscan wrote:Was referring to very early in the year. They were +9 Net playing over 13 mpg together in November. I didn't mean they literally never play together post Bellineli but since the ASB it's been less than half of that number (111 minutes in 18 games) including as you mentioned completely going away from it in a few games last week.

We will see that in next matches. That would mean McConnell will be out of rotation because Fultz is clearly playing as backup PG and with healthy Anderson and Belinelli there shouldn't be any spot for him on SG position from a bench. But didn't he play him instead of Justin last match? Apparently he did.

I like TJ but to play him regularly as shooting guard... This love for him from Brown and some Sixers fans may be problematic one day.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers