ImageImageImage

Plans for TJ?

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

Plans for TJ next season?

Keep TJ in the rotation, playing 10-15 mpg
41%
TJ is out of the rotation as 3rd string (Fultz running point when Simmons is sitting) but kept as a good locker room presence and fan favorite.
43%
Trade TJ for a pick or better fit
16%

Total votes: 74

Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,011

Re: Plans for TJ? 

Post#21 » by Sixerscan » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:51 pm

I think they are still determining whether they want Fultz to have a rotation spot in the playoffs. In the meantime they probably want to keep TJ (and I assume Anderson eventually) in some kind of rhythm.

I don't think Brown has any interest in playing a hardened playoff rotation against these teams that they can beat while experimenting.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#22 » by Sixerscan » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:57 pm

Well, correct that. I assume he does want to set the rotation. (And I think he did more or less last week) But this Fultz thing has thrown a wrench into it that they need to figure out
The Master
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,493

Post#23 » by The Master » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:06 pm

You're right, but I was referring to a fact that Brown is still willing to play TJ with Ben. I mean we have enough statistical evidence that this duo together on a court is awful, and I don't think few games outside of rotation (assuming you're right they still don't know how playoff rotation will look like) would make your backup PG unprepared for playoffs.

That's why I'm afraid that Brown may like TJ very much (like many people, because he's great guy and such a hustler, and this fact can overshadow his true on-court performances) and he doesn't see anything wrong in playing him with Ben. And that's quite dangerous in playoffs where every possession matters.

In fact Simmons' stats would be much better without playing with McConnell - he's 61%ts scorer with Embiid (1300 minutes), and 57%ts scorer without Joel, TJ and Bayless (almost 500 minutes) - let's guess which lineups make him 55%ts scorer...

So coming back to TJ, he can be solid energizer, good team guy who can play as second PG in special occasions - in bigger role, he will be just negative player for Sixers as he's right now. The question is whether all parts of this case see it.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#24 » by Sixerscan » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:17 pm

As I said, I think if you look at the lineup data in the 17 games since the allstar break prior prior to last night you will see that Brett had been going away from playing them together.

They also actually had a positive net rating playing together over that period so it's not a complete disaster.

We'll see how Fultz coming back impacts thing.
Hipster Doofus
Head Coach
And1: 6,359

Post#25 » by Hipster Doofus » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:24 pm

Whatever you do, keep him and don't trade him, at least for a couple of years till the ship full of young guys fully stabilizes.

TJ is a stability, hustle, toughness kind of guy. You want that on your team, especially in the early careers of your young players.
Truth is on the side of the oppressed.
The Master
Pro Prospect

Post#26 » by The Master » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:37 pm

Sixerscan wrote:As I said, I think if you look at the lineup data in the 17 games since the allstar break prior prior to last night you will see that Brett had been going away from playing them together.

They also actually had a positive net rating playing together over that period so it's not a complete disaster.

No, they have negative two-man net rating since ASG.

Simmons, McConnell on: 114.7 ORTG, 116.4 DRTG (111 minutes)
Simmons, McConnell on, Embiid off: 103.4 ORTG, 120.5 DRTG (76 minutes)

Small sample size, but they just can't play together in second unit without Jojo, and even after ASG they're bad.

I think we can return to this discussion after today's game. :)

ps

They were -0.5 (Simmons, TJ on) and - 16.4 (Ben, TJ on, Joel off) since ASG before game with Denver.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#27 » by Sixerscan » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:00 pm

The NBA.com lineup data says differently, +1.2 over the period I mentioned. Either way we are splitting hairs (unless you think -1.7 or -0.5 is a complete disaster) and this is beside the point. There is ample evidence that brown had been playing them together less since the asb prior to the last game.
BenSimmonsStan
Junior
And1: 121

Post#28 » by BenSimmonsStan » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:11 pm

I'd say keep him on board. He seems like a very good locker room guy and is always going 100%, even if he's making a mistake.

That kind of intensity and hustle doesn't get lost on teams. Players respect that greatly. You guys probably hate TJ some games but ask any player on the team and it's all love.
Ben Simmons 2019 MVP, 2019 MIP, 2019 DPOY.
The Master
Pro Prospect

Post#29 » by The Master » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:16 pm

I would suggest using nbawowy/bkref stats, these stats are much more accurate.

And yes, -16 or -17 is a complete disaster.

After ASG, McConnell still played with Simmons as SG (12 games, 96 minutes). Then, Anderson was back and they played 4 minutes in next 5 matches because TJ played only as backup PG. Then, Fultz was back as backup PG so McConnell took Anderson's spot in Denver game and played 11 minutes alongside Ben.

So from perspective of possible playoffs rotation, there are two questions:
1) will Fultz be ready to play significant minutes in playoffs as backup PG or occasionaly SG?
2) if yes, who's going to be backup on SG position - Anderson or McConnell?

As I wrote earlier, these remaining matches will tell a lot in this matter. I hope we both agree that TJ should be out of rotation if Markelle is ready to play on similar level, and I hope he is.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#30 » by LloydFree » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:17 pm

The Master wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:Was referring to very early in the year. They were +9 Net playing over 13 mpg together in November. I didn't mean they literally never play together post Bellineli but since the ASB it's been less than half of that number (111 minutes in 18 games) including as you mentioned completely going away from it in a few games last week.

We will see that in next matches. That would mean McConnell will be out of rotation because Fultz is clearly playing as backup PG and with healthy Anderson and Belinelli there shouldn't be any spot for him on SG position from a bench. But didn't he play him instead of Justin last match? Apparently he did.

I like TJ but to play him regularly as shooting guard... This love for him from Brown and some Sixers fans may be problematic one day.

Belinelli won't be on the team next year (if they sign a max free agent)
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
BoomBap
Bench Warmer
And1: 401

Post#31 » by BoomBap » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:17 pm

He is a 3rd string PG, but he is an integral part of the locker room and well-liked(especially by Dario and Biid). I would try to keep him around for as long as possible.
The Master
Pro Prospect

Post#32 » by The Master » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:21 pm

LloydFree wrote:Belinelli won't be on the team next year (if they sign a max free agent)

I was talking about remaining part of this season.

Next season, there's no way he will play similar minutes to this year. The question is would you like to give him small extension and keep him, or to trade him for some small asset next season when he will be on CY. For me the first option from team's perspective is better.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#33 » by Sixerscan » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:49 pm

The Master wrote:I would suggest using nbawowy/bkref stats, these stats are much more accurate.

And yes, -16 or -17 is a complete disaster.

After ASG, McConnell still played with Simmons as SG (12 games, 96 minutes). Then, Anderson was back and they played 4 minutes in next 5 matches because TJ played only as backup PG. Then, Fultz was back as backup PG so McConnell took Anderson's spot in Denver game and played 11 minutes alongside Ben.

So from perspective of possible playoffs rotation, there are two questions:
1) will Fultz be ready to play significant minutes in playoffs as backup PG or occasionaly SG?
2) if yes, who's going to be backup on SG position - Anderson or McConnell?

As I wrote earlier, these remaining matches will tell a lot in this matter. I hope we both agree that TJ should be out of rotation if Markelle is ready to play on similar level, and I hope he is.

I dunno why you keep hammering this so much, I already said I didn't mean they literally never played together. 96 minutes over a 17 game sample is not a lot. Take away the 31 with Embiid and it's even fewer.

I think they need to continue to experiment. I'm not sure the team would be much if any better with Anderson out there instead of TJ. Anderson has certainly had bad plus minus stats himself this year too. Probably depends on matchups. I do think that Fultz even if he's the backup 1 it's probably good have another ball handler with him.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#34 » by LloydFree » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:52 pm

The Master wrote:
LloydFree wrote:Belinelli won't be on the team next year (if they sign a max free agent)

Next season, there's no way he will play similar minutes to this year. The question is would you like to give him small extension and keep him, or to trade him for some small asset next season when he will be on CY. For me the first option from team's perspective is better.

The best way to ruin a team is to start paying and extending replacement level role players. TJ McConnell would play under that last year minimum salary for me, then I let his contract run out, and draft another TJ McConnell/Demetrius Jackson or whoever.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
eagereyez
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,462

Post#35 » by eagereyez » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:54 pm

Use TJ in a deal to get rid of Bayless.
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#36 » by Ericb5 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:23 pm

The Master wrote:

He isn't untouchable obviously, but he is cheap and has a role. He doesn't have any real trade value either. I mean we could maybe get 2 second rounders for him, but we have a million second rounders already.

If he can be a sweetener in a larger deal then so be it, but he is a locker room and fan favorite, and he isn't part of the problem.

His long term role would be as a third guard because Fultz isn't going to be backing up Simmons for very long. He is going to be starting next to Simmons by sometime next season. If we have to let him go then we do so reluctantly in the summer of 19.
The Master
Pro Prospect

Post#37 » by The Master » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:28 pm

Sixerscan wrote:I dunno why you keep hammering this so much, I already said I didn't mean they literally never played together. 96 minutes over a 17 game sample is not a lot. Take away the 31 with Embiid and it's even fewer. I think they need to continue to experiment. I'm not sure the team would be much if any better with Anderson out there instead of TJ.

I wrote that I would like to have McConnell in a team, but I'm afraid that Brown would overuse him like he's doing this season. I don't know if I'm right, I wrote in first response to you that we have to wait to end of a season to see what Brown will do when he has full roster healthy. Playing McConnell regularly as SG is for me overusing him especially after whole season where he's really bad in that role. And I don't think that 111 minutes in 18 matches (20% of Simmons' time on court in that span) is a small sample size. That's it.
sixers78
Senior
And1: 116

Post#38 » by sixers78 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:41 am

Trade TJ for a draft pick??? What you havent got enough of 2nd rounders.
Black Mage
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,580

Post#39 » by Black Mage » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:53 am

Package him and Holmes and picks to move up and secure Mikal Bridges with our Lakers pick. He would be an excellent second unit guard/wing 3 and D guy.

If we can keep our pick this year, grab Brunson as a nice replacement or hope he slides into the second round.
Simmons25
Analyst
And1: 2,235

Post#40 » by Simmons25 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:58 am

I'd trade him. I said a few months ago we aren't winning a Championship with TJ still on our roster... and with the way the bench is looking with Fultz coming off it... we are closer to a Championship than we were 2 weeks ago.

I'd package him up to get a better first rounder. Richaun is gone too... he has been moping around lately on the bench and making comments on social media... and spending all his time looking like Droopy Dog. If he can't handle his reduced role then ship him out too.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers