'18 NBA Draft Thread Featuring Picks 10/26/38/39/56/60

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

PLO
Analyst
And1: 1,305

Re: 2017-2018 College Basketball / '18 NBA Draft Thread - Part II 

Post#221 » by PLO » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:21 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
PLO wrote:Jon Tjarks made a really good point in the recent Ringer podcast about how much value there is in this draft from about 10 through until our own pick, basically among the wings. He's not as high as some here on Thomas and I agree with him basically for the reasons Kolkmania has outlined above, but I agree Thomas should at least be in the discussion. Where this draft will be won or lost for us is, as Tjarks points out, how we rate the wings in that area of the draft, because potentially we can get two players who could contribute next year to a finals run. There's a lot of value around where we will be picking in that area of the draft and a number of very good players to choose from.

Who was the one putting Jontay at 8? He shouldn’t be paid to speak about prospects.

I did like the moment where they were all patting themselves on the back for putting Mitchell at 8 last year and how they said no one could have expected this type of performance. I didn’t expect him to be this good this early, but I definitely expected him to be in ROY conversations depending on the situation he was drafted to.

That was Tjarks - I don't really know what to make of Jontay and TBH I haven't really thought too much about him given its very unlikely we'll draft him. He sort of reminds me of a long-retired NBA player in one of those celebrity games, like he has skills and has smarts but he's so unathletic. Tjarks is one of the few Ringer people I think has credibility but like anyone he's fallible at times.

I'm pretty sure Gribanov and David Locke also thought Mitchell would be in the ROTY race, although Locke is a Utah guy and was watching Mitchell through preseason training, so he had a good idea what he was going to be in the NBA. I think most thought he would be a bench player and would have limited opportunities hence the reason many had guys like Lonzo and DSJ as prospective winners of the ROTY race.

Its pretty ironic the two guys who are runaway leaders in ROTY none of the pundits, nor GMs, coaches or other rookies thought would be even in the mix for the award.
LakersDynasty14 wrote:Lonzo Ball is literally on a Hall of Fame trajectory at this point. This thread is so full of fail.

shakes0 wrote:I hope they put Simmons on Trae. He'll foul him out by the 3rd quarter. plus Simmons can't stay in front of Trae. No one can.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,838

Post#222 » by Negrodamus » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:27 pm

PLO wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
PLO wrote:Jon Tjarks made a really good point in the recent Ringer podcast about how much value there is in this draft from about 10 through until our own pick, basically among the wings. He's not as high as some here on Thomas and I agree with him basically for the reasons Kolkmania has outlined above, but I agree Thomas should at least be in the discussion. Where this draft will be won or lost for us is, as Tjarks points out, how we rate the wings in that area of the draft, because potentially we can get two players who could contribute next year to a finals run. There's a lot of value around where we will be picking in that area of the draft and a number of very good players to choose from.

Who was the one putting Jontay at 8? He shouldn’t be paid to speak about prospects.

I did like the moment where they were all patting themselves on the back for putting Mitchell at 8 last year and how they said no one could have expected this type of performance. I didn’t expect him to be this good this early, but I definitely expected him to be in ROY conversations depending on the situation he was drafted to.

That was Tjarks - I don't really know what to make of Jontay and TBH I haven't really thought too much about him given its very unlikely we'll draft him. He sort of reminds me of a long-retired NBA player in one of those celebrity games, like he has skills and has smarts but he's so unathletic. Tjarks is one of the few Ringer people I think has credibility but like anyone he's fallible at times.

I'm pretty sure Gribanov and David Locke also thought Mitchell would be in the ROTY race, although Locke is a Utah guy and was watching Mitchell through preseason training, so he had a good idea what he was going to be in the NBA. I think most thought he would be a bench player and would have limited opportunities hence the reason many had guys like Lonzo and DSJ as prospective winners of the ROTY race.

Its pretty ironic the two guys who are runaway leaders in ROTY none of the pundits, nor GMs, coaches or other rookies thought would be even in the mix for the award.

I was just getting annoyed that they were saying "yea, he's (Porter) not good around the rim". That's an understatement. To not say that only 17% of his shots were at the rim with almost half of them being assisted. He's a 6'11 power forward. I didn't think that was possible for a PF/C with his playing time to accomplish. It's really terrible. I wouldn't take him with our pick.
PLO
Analyst
And1: 1,305

Post#223 » by PLO » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:42 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
PLO wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:

I was just getting annoyed that they were saying "yea, he's (Porter) not good around the rim". That's an understatement. To not say that only 17% of his shots were at the rim with almost half of them being assisted. He's a 6'11 power forward. I didn't think that was possible for a PF/C with his playing time to accomplish. It's really terrible. I wouldn't take him with our pick.

He's sort of the anti-76er player - we have one of the fastest paced teams in the league and I can't imagine any scenario we would pick him. The thought of him trying to keep ahead of Simmons on the break is hilarious, like he's a good perimeter shooter but he'd have to start sinking some from 40 feet to be useful because to my eyes he's very slow.

The league itself has been moving up in pace for some years now so he's sort of a bit of a throwback player because he's definitely skilled - he reminds me a bit of Jah Okafor in terms of that if not in mimicking Jah's exact skillset.
LakersDynasty14 wrote:Lonzo Ball is literally on a Hall of Fame trajectory at this point. This thread is so full of fail.

shakes0 wrote:I hope they put Simmons on Trae. He'll foul him out by the 3rd quarter. plus Simmons can't stay in front of Trae. No one can.
timLH
Junior
And1: 84

Post#224 » by timLH » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:08 pm

LloydFree wrote:Just saw that the Suns are being allowed to speak to Mike Budenholzer. That will be great for their young players. Finally getting a good coach. That's good for Ayton, if he goes to Phoenix.

Bad luck for them losing the Bucks pick this year. Apart from getting Doncic/Ayton, I really hope they can try to trade up for Carter/Young. It will be a funny team to watch.
ivysixer2000
General Manager
And1: 2,040

Post#225 » by ivysixer2000 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:21 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
Kolkmania wrote:
ivysixer2000 wrote:
I do know why you keep bringing up Khyri, I see a lil of Donovan Mitchell in him really. Khyri also has alot more handle to him than Mikal does at this stage as he is more of really a guard size, like Donovan who has same length as him. Khyri can string more moves together whereas Mikal is very straightline with his handle.

Watching more of him myself, and with his already solid shooting, he belongs in the conversation for sure especially with those better handles than Mikal. Mikal is superior in length, which is hard to ignore but we could use someone who has more ability to create while he is 3 & D, Khyri is definitely a good prospect for that situation.

We could definitely use a dude more like Donovan (Khyri) than Roco (Mikal) for our team needs right now.

I don't really see it to be honest, from the limited games I've seen Khyri play he has nowhere near the shiftiness, handles and playmaking Donovan showed at Louisville. Thomas is far more consistent, but I'm wondering if his game will translate to the NBA. I'm not completely sure about his defense as well, he's built like a tank but I don't really know if he has the feet to contain quick guards.

Imo there's a chance he'll carve out a role as a decent 3&D guard, but I don't see the creation potential you do. Comparing Donovan Mitchell to Khyri Thomas and Robert Covington to Mikal Bridges isn't realistic, Mitchell is probably the absolute ceiling of Thomas and Robert Covington could be the median of Mikal Bridges.

He’s just not Mitchell. They have similar frames, Thomas is probably better, but they have different games. But that’s why I was ready to draft Mitchell with the third pick last year and I’m still deliberating drafting Thomas with 10. Mitchell, despite everyone telling me otherwise, had incredible handles and a massive burst to the rim.

Thomas is a piece that exists to elevate the players around him. We need those guys. Not many holes in the game and exerts maximum effort.

Defensively, I just don’t see the apprehension. He is one of the most fluid man to man perimeter defenders I’ve seen in a while. Really toes the line of harassing his guy without fouling. It’s the only part of his game I’m pretty much 100% sure of.

Reason why I mentioned Mitchell in the first place cause I remember your thoughts on him from last year. They are different players but they definitely have similar frames although Khyri isn't as explosive. I do also wonder about some of the competition Khyri played against, but I do see the reason you like him. I wouldn't be upset if we drafted him, although it would really be a scout move cause I don't know it would be a first choice of BC.

Alot more fans around here are more familiar with Mikal, and even though I'm not in love with him at all, I wouldn't be upset if they made that pick. I do know one thing though, a comparison to Roco isn't a bad one for Mikal, Roco is rated as one the best defensive players in the league right now, so me comparing Mikal to him at this moment is a compliment IMO.

Upon further look, Mikal and Khyri are alot closer than I first thought.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,107

Post#226 » by Kobblehead » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:37 pm

Why is Khyri Thomas getting lotto hype all of the sudden? Has some blogger recently put out a formula that he tests high on or something?

It's random that people just started talking about him now.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#227 » by Negrodamus » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:46 pm

Kobblehead wrote:Why is Khyri Thomas getting lotto hype all of the sudden? Has some blogger recently put out a formula that he tests high on or something?

It's random that people just started talking about him now.

Maybe it was his declaring that sparked further investigation.

What's your stance on him?
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#228 » by Negrodamus » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:21 pm

ivysixer2000 wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
Kolkmania wrote:
I don't really see it to be honest, from the limited games I've seen Khyri play he has nowhere near the shiftiness, handles and playmaking Donovan showed at Louisville. Thomas is far more consistent, but I'm wondering if his game will translate to the NBA. I'm not completely sure about his defense as well, he's built like a tank but I don't really know if he has the feet to contain quick guards.

Imo there's a chance he'll carve out a role as a decent 3&D guard, but I don't see the creation potential you do. Comparing Donovan Mitchell to Khyri Thomas and Robert Covington to Mikal Bridges isn't realistic, Mitchell is probably the absolute ceiling of Thomas and Robert Covington could be the median of Mikal Bridges.

He’s just not Mitchell. They have similar frames, Thomas is probably better, but they have different games. But that’s why I was ready to draft Mitchell with the third pick last year and I’m still deliberating drafting Thomas with 10. Mitchell, despite everyone telling me otherwise, had incredible handles and a massive burst to the rim.

Thomas is a piece that exists to elevate the players around him. We need those guys. Not many holes in the game and exerts maximum effort.

Defensively, I just don’t see the apprehension. He is one of the most fluid man to man perimeter defenders I’ve seen in a while. Really toes the line of harassing his guy without fouling. It’s the only part of his game I’m pretty much 100% sure of.

Reason why I mentioned Mitchell in the first place cause I remember your thoughts on him from last year. They are different players but they definitely have similar frames although Khyri isn't as explosive. I do also wonder about some of the competition Khyri played against, but I do see the reason you like him. I wouldn't be upset if we drafted him, although it would really be a scout move cause I don't know it would be a first choice of BC.

Alot more fans around here are more familiar with Mikal, and even though I'm not in love with him at all, I wouldn't be upset if they made that pick. I do know one thing though, a comparison to Roco isn't a bad one for Mikal, Roco is rated as one the best defensive players in the league right now, so me comparing Mikal to him at this moment is a compliment IMO.

Upon further look, Mikal and Khyri are alot closer than I first thought.

Yea, if I'm to make a comparison of any NBA prospect coming into the league, it would be a less explosive, better shooting Victor Oladipo. Similar size and length. Both went as upperclassmen. Oladipo put up obscene advanced stats and steals as an off ball guard at Indiana. Thomas is short of those numbers, but I'm projecting him in the 10th area and not 2nd overall like Victor went.

The catch for Khyri to reach his ceiling is to become the ball handler that Oladipo currently is. Unlikely, but Khyri seems to have a great work ethic, so you never know. Baseline, he could be the 3 and D guard we need to fill out our rotation.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#229 » by Negrodamus » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:14 pm

Deep sleepers, but Bogdan Bliznyuk had quite a year scoring. Seems pretty talented with the ball and was barely assisted on his 21 ppg.

51X3RF4N
Lead Assistant
And1: 935

Post#230 » by 51X3RF4N » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:28 pm

I posted about Khyri Thomas a few months back. I liked him as a potential Patrick Beverley type if he develops some more. Good defender from what I can tell, and he can shoot the rock.

Take a chance on him late in 1st with a package of 2nds to move up maybe. Would provide good depth behind JJ next to Fultz.
Your Future Sixers

C- Embiid/?
PF- ?/?
SF- ?/?
SG- ?/?
PG- ?/?
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#231 » by Negrodamus » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:42 pm

51X3RF4N wrote:I posted about Khyri Thomas a few months back. I liked him as a potential Patrick Beverley type if he develops some more. Good defender from what I can tell, and he can shoot the rock.

Take a chance on him late in 1st with a package of 2nds to move up maybe. Would provide good depth behind JJ next to Fultz.

Won't be there late first. I'll almost guarantee it.
ivysixer2000
General Manager

Post#232 » by ivysixer2000 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:15 pm

Negrodamus wrote:Also, with our pick, I’m going to draft Mitchell Robinson to learn behind Joel. He might be a little strange, but his fluidity with his length is worth taking the gamble for Embiid insurance.

I have to wonder if he would be available by 26.

Not alot of bigs in this draft after you get past the top, might just have to count on this draft for wings which seems alot deeper at that stage in the draft.
cksdayoff
RealGM
And1: 3,636

Post#233 » by cksdayoff » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:31 pm

still stuck on the shai/mikal bandwagon. i'm leaning more towards mikal. and with our pick, i like one of the nova guards
#failforfultz
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Post#234 » by Kolkmania » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:50 am

Negrodamus wrote:
Kolkmania wrote:
ivysixer2000 wrote:
I do know why you keep bringing up Khyri, I see a lil of Donovan Mitchell in him really. Khyri also has alot more handle to him than Mikal does at this stage as he is more of really a guard size, like Donovan who has same length as him. Khyri can string more moves together whereas Mikal is very straightline with his handle.

Watching more of him myself, and with his already solid shooting, he belongs in the conversation for sure especially with those better handles than Mikal. Mikal is superior in length, which is hard to ignore but we could use someone who has more ability to create while he is 3 & D, Khyri is definitely a good prospect for that situation.

We could definitely use a dude more like Donovan (Khyri) than Roco (Mikal) for our team needs right now.

I think he's a good defender, but not elite. Kind of like Marcus Smart without the insane hands and therefore a massive difference in steals and deflections. He has an impressive frame, but like Smart he struggles with really quick feet.

If you're drafting a 6'3'' guard who doesn't have the ability to initiate the offense you'd better be elite at the defensive end. I consider him at #26 because of the fit with our roster, but certainly not at #10.
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Post#235 » by Kolkmania » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:54 am

ivysixer2000 wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:Also, with our pick, I’m going to draft Mitchell Robinson to learn behind Joel. He might be a little strange, but his fluidity with his length is worth taking the gamble for Embiid insurance.

Not alot of bigs in this draft after you get past the top, might just have to count on this draft for wings which seems alot deeper at that stage in the draft.

I doubt it, think that a team will fall in love with him based on workouts. However I think there are red flags all around with Robinson, his high hips makes me wonder if he'll have the mobility to defend the P&R and not get destroyed in mismatches. Also, I'm wondering if he has his priorities straight, I've seen workout videos with him dribbling and pulling up from three, but that's not what he's going to do in this league.

At last, from the limited high school tape I've seen he was playing against little kids and it looked like he took candy from little kids, no idea if he has the defensive instincts to properly anchor a defense in the NBA. Taking a year off (in a critical developmental year) to work on ball handling skills seems questionable. However, for all we know he might have participated in competitive 5-on-5 settings, I'm just not willing to bet on him. Give me Jonah Bolden over him.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#236 » by Negrodamus » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:42 am

Kolkmania wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
Kolkmania wrote:

I think he's a good defender, but not elite. Kind of like Marcus Smart without the insane hands and therefore a massive difference in steals and deflections. He has an impressive frame, but like Smart he struggles with really quick feet.

If you're drafting a 6'3'' guard who doesn't have the ability to initiate the offense you'd better be elite at the defensive end. I consider him at #26 because of the fit with our roster, but certainly not at #10.

Big East DPOY this year over everyone’s favorite, Mikal Bridges. Also shared the award last year with Bridges and Hart. I mean, we can disagree about him defensively, but there are a lot of pundits/evidence siding with me about his defense being elite. Agree to disagree.
ivysixer2000
General Manager

Post#237 » by ivysixer2000 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:05 pm

Kolkmania wrote:
ivysixer2000 wrote:

I doubt it, think that a team will fall in love with him based on workouts. However I think there are red flags all around with Robinson, his high hips makes me wonder if he'll have the mobility to defend the P&R and not get destroyed in mismatches. Also, I'm wondering if he has his priorities straight, I've seen workout videos with him dribbling and pulling up from three, but that's not what he's going to do in this league.

At last, from the limited high school tape I've seen he was playing against little kids and it looked like he took candy from little kids, no idea if he has the defensive instincts to properly anchor a defense in the NBA. Taking a year off (in a critical developmental year) to work on ball handling skills seems questionable. However, for all we know he might have participated in competitive 5-on-5 settings, I'm just not willing to bet on him. Give me Jonah Bolden over him.

Yeah, even with his flags I see him going higher than 26 cause of the dropoff of bigs after the top. Seen various posts on here talking about just draft a big to backup Jojo, problem is I'm not sure one would be available in that 26 spot worth the pick, unless you want to reach which is something I'm totally against. I do actually give credit to BC in taking all those bigs last year (maybe someone told him lol), cause there aren't many good stashes this year as bigs either.

Bolden might become real important if we let Ersan walk, I just hope he can live up to the hype cause I have lil faith in our other 2 stash bigs from last year. This late in the draft you do have to go BPA, and if we use at least a couple our picks in the 2nd, I could easily see us taking 3 wing type players in this draft.
kriss73
Analyst
And1: 1,811

Post#238 » by kriss73 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:24 pm

Am I the only one thinking that we lack a guard/forward capable to be lockdown 1vs1 defender?
Someone like Marcus Smart, to pair with Cov in small ball lineups? Even out of the bench.

Thinking to the 2018 draft, I can see a couple of guys having that kind of impact down the line: Jacob Evans (end of 1st round), Zhaire Smith(lottery) or Gary Clark (2n round).
Adam Silver wrote:"Gross incompetence is acceptable; strategic gaming of a flawed system is not."
cksdayoff
RealGM
And1: 3,636

Post#239 » by cksdayoff » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:35 pm

last night showed why mikal bridges would be ideal. gives you versatility on defense and can switch on anyone and he’ll give you enough offense to make redick an afterthought. mikal has impressed me with his spot up shooting, especially on catch and shoots where he comes off screens
#failforfultz
timLH
Junior
And1: 84

Post#240 » by timLH » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:56 pm

I want a scorer able to create his own shot deadly. BC and many of us supposed Fultz to be that guy, but he might not be ready or he somehow turned out to be a facilitator (poor man's Ben).

Return to Philadelphia 76ers