ImageImageImage

'18 NBA Draft Thread Featuring Picks 10/26/38/39/56/60

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,803

Re: 2017-2018 College Basketball / '18 NBA Draft Thread - Part II 

Post#241 » by Negrodamus » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:14 pm

kriss73 wrote:Am I the only one thinking that we lack a guard/forward capable to be lockdown 1vs1 defender?

I don't think so. I feel like many on here have belabored this point, myself included, over the past few weeks.
kriss73
Analyst
And1: 1,811

Re: RE: Re: 2017-2018 College Basketball / '18 NBA Draft Thread - Part II 

Post#242 » by kriss73 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:19 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
kriss73 wrote:Am I the only one thinking that we lack a guard/forward capable to be lockdown 1vs1 defender?

I don't think so. I feel like many on here have belabored this point, myself included, over the past few weeks.
Oh fine I didn't read the whole topic. It was mostly a rethoric question.
Adam Silver wrote:"Gross incompetence is acceptable; strategic gaming of a flawed system is not."
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,807

Post#243 » by Mik317 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:04 pm

1 on 1 defenders are a bit...overrated. To truly defend folks, its a team effort. What we need is guys capable of at the very least staying in front of folks and contesting shots. We have a lot of t-rexes that get major minutes that hurts at times. JJ and Marco try their best but they are often traffic cones at the end of the day. As much as he perplexes me, this is what makes Roco great. He has the length to bother shots and can switch on to multiple guys. Simmons has this ability as well. ideally we replace Dario or JJ with another guy with a similar skillset to have less times some poor sap is in the blender against a HOF.

but these are also the type of sacrifices you often have to make when it comes to shooters. Klay is special for that reason lol. Having it both ways is the holy grail of sorts
#NeverGonnaBeGood
PLO
Analyst
And1: 1,305

Post#244 » by PLO » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:20 am

The Stepien's Sixers board is worth a read.
LakersDynasty14 wrote:Lonzo Ball is literally on a Hall of Fame trajectory at this point. This thread is so full of fail.

shakes0 wrote:I hope they put Simmons on Trae. He'll foul him out by the 3rd quarter. plus Simmons can't stay in front of Trae. No one can.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,721

Post#245 » by the_process » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:12 pm

PLO wrote:The Stepien's Sixers board is worth a read.

The Stepien has Doncic too high and Jackson too low.
PLO
Analyst

Post#246 » by PLO » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:36 pm

the_process wrote:

It is a Sixers board so understandable to have the best wing at the top of our board.
LakersDynasty14 wrote:Lonzo Ball is literally on a Hall of Fame trajectory at this point. This thread is so full of fail.

shakes0 wrote:I hope they put Simmons on Trae. He'll foul him out by the 3rd quarter. plus Simmons can't stay in front of Trae. No one can.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#247 » by Negrodamus » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:43 pm

Mik317 wrote:1 on 1 defenders are a bit...overrated. To truly defend folks, its a team effort. What we need is guys capable of at the very least staying in front of folks and contesting shots. We have a lot of t-rexes that get major minutes that hurts at times. JJ and Marco try their best but they are often traffic cones at the end of the day. As much as he perplexes me, this is what makes Roco great. He has the length to bother shots and can switch on to multiple guys. Simmons has this ability as well. ideally we replace Dario or JJ with another guy with a similar skillset to have less times some poor sap is in the blender against a HOF.

but these are also the type of sacrifices you often have to make when it comes to shooters. Klay is special for that reason lol. Having it both ways is the holy grail of sorts

I agree, but I do think 1v1 eventually comes into the fold. If we look at our current situation, teams are using Belinelli to exploit. We pretty much switch everything and are left with his piss poor 1v1 defense against a star. Having a player with length and strength to switch and at least bother the (pardon recency bias) Wades, LeBrons, etc while being able to hit from the outside is going to be important for us moving forward.
the_process
RealGM

Post#248 » by the_process » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:45 pm

PLO wrote:
the_process wrote:

It is a Sixers board so understandable to have the best wing at the top of our board.

Yes, and Doncic is a Euro; which means BC would trade Embiid plus all the picks to get him.
PLO
Analyst

Post#249 » by PLO » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:02 pm

the_process wrote:
PLO wrote:
the_process wrote:

Yes, and Doncic is a Euro; which means BC would trade Embiid plus all the picks to get him.

Perhaps a tad over-dramatic there pal, lol.

I can tell you one thing, you have a Doncic playing for us in game two we have another genuine playmaker on the floor, and a guy who can hit tough shots in big moments. That's the type of player that wins us that game against the Heat. I also think he'll actually be a better defender in his first few years in the league compared to a Mikal Bridges because at this stage he's a lot stronger physically than the older Mikal. Although its true Mikal's defensive upside is a lot higher.

We have one percent chance of getting him though, so its a bit of a pipedream.

the_process
RealGM

Post#250 » by the_process » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:06 pm

PLO wrote:
the_process wrote:
PLO wrote:

I can tell you one thing, you have a Doncic playing for us in game two we have another genuine playmaker on the floor, and a guy who can hit tough shots in big moments. That's the type of player that wins us that game against the Heat. I also think he'll actually be a better defender in his first few years in the league compared to a Mikal Bridges because at this stage he's a lot stronger physically than the older Mikal. Although its true Mikal's defensive upside is a lot higher.

Yes. I thought that was obvious enough as to not bother with the green font. :lol: And yes, the Sixers probably aren’t going to be in his range.

But as to Doncic, I don’t see any of what you’re talking about as a player. I wouldn’t take him in the top 5.
PLO
Analyst

Post#251 » by PLO » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:28 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
Mik317 wrote:1 on 1 defenders are a bit...overrated. To truly defend folks, its a team effort. What we need is guys capable of at the very least staying in front of folks and contesting shots. We have a lot of t-rexes that get major minutes that hurts at times. JJ and Marco try their best but they are often traffic cones at the end of the day. As much as he perplexes me, this is what makes Roco great. He has the length to bother shots and can switch on to multiple guys. Simmons has this ability as well. ideally we replace Dario or JJ with another guy with a similar skillset to have less times some poor sap is in the blender against a HOF.

I agree, but I do think 1v1 eventually comes into the fold. If we look at our current situation, teams are using Belinelli to exploit. We pretty much switch everything and are left with his piss poor 1v1 defense against a star. Having a player with length and strength to switch and at least bother the (pardon recency bias) Wades, LeBrons, etc while being able to hit from the outside is going to be important for us moving forward.

Wade shredded us but we didn't really have an attacker who could do the same to him on the other end. Despite his steal of Saric at the end of the game, 36 year old Wade is a very bad defender - we just didn't have the personnel who could attack him on the other end outside of Simmons, and Wade was shielded from him by their defensive setups.

PLO
Analyst

Post#252 » by PLO » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:32 pm

the_process wrote:
PLO wrote:
the_process wrote:

Yes. I thought that was obvious enough as to not bother with the green font. :lol: And yes, the Sixers probably aren’t going to be in his range.

But as to Doncic, I don’t see any of what you’re talking about as a player. I wouldn’t take him in the top 5.

I have Doncic one by a decent margin, but its all moot anyway given we have a slim to none chance at him.

the_process
RealGM

Post#253 » by the_process » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:44 pm

PLO wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:

Wade shredded us but we didn't really have an attacker who could do the same to him on the other end. Despite his steal of Saric at the end of the game, 36 year old Wade is a very bad defender - we just didn't have the personnel who could attack him on the other end outside of Simmons, and Wade was shielded from him by their defensive setups.

I agree with that, and BB will have to force it if need be. Got to make that old man bounce off some screens and run in transition and earn his points. Not walk up and down saving his legs most of the game for those few moments when he goes Showtime. Even if you don’t score just tire him out. Run his old *** off the floor. Miami is not going to hit 113 again this series. War of attrition. Miami will blink first.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#254 » by LloydFree » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:41 pm

the_process wrote:
PLO wrote:
the_process wrote:

Definitely not in the top 3.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
ivysixer2000
General Manager
And1: 2,033

Post#255 » by ivysixer2000 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:13 pm

PLO wrote:
the_process wrote:
PLO wrote:

I have Doncic one by a decent margin, but its all moot anyway given we have a slim to none chance at him.

Never know, we could end up at 6, with the ability to move up a couple of spots if Doncic falls a bit. All this arguing over picks yet they both will probably end up around 10, kinda funny actually.

I still see this being a wing heavy draft after the big men that are going at the top, which is good for us. There will be someone who makes a difference on the wing later in this draft, just a matter of if we are the ones that pick him or not. I would be disappointed if we don't come away with at least 3 wings in this draft.
PLO
Analyst

Post#256 » by PLO » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:25 am

ivysixer2000 wrote:
PLO wrote:
the_process wrote:

Never know, we could end up at 6, with the ability to move up a couple of spots if Doncic falls a bit. All this arguing over picks yet they both will probably end up around 10, kinda funny actually.

I still see this being a wing heavy draft after the big men that are going at the top, which is good for us. There will be someone who makes a difference on the wing later in this draft, just a matter of if we are the ones that pick him or not. I would be disappointed if we don't come away with at least 3 wings in this draft.

We can only get the 10, 11, 12 and the 1 spot, as those are the rules. The Lakers pick could also land at the 2 and 3 spots, but in that case it will transfer to the Celtics. The odds are outlined here.

Unbreakable99
General Manager
And1: 3,993

Post#257 » by Unbreakable99 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:20 pm

Donte needs to stay in the draft and Colangelo needs to give him a promise we will take him if he’s still there with our 2nd first round pick.

Read on Twitter
PLO
Analyst

Post#258 » by PLO » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:15 am

No Hunter :( - a wing with that size, skillset and upside would have been perfect for us. He's a better defender than Mikal and we don't have his type of player on our roster.

Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#259 » by Negrodamus » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:36 am

Speaking of CJ McCollum (in another thread), I'm beginning to feel a bit like Allonzo Trier is the next McCollum. Probably the most efficient scorer in the country with identical length, height, etc as McCollum. He also played for a much better conference than Lehigh. He also looks a bit more athletic. I'd consider strongly taking him with our second pick.
Unbreakable99
General Manager
And1: 3,993

Post#260 » by Unbreakable99 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:59 am

Negrodamus wrote:Speaking of CJ McCollum (in another thread), I'm beginning to feel a bit like Allonzo Trier is the next McCollum. Probably the most efficient scorer in the country with identical length, height, etc as McCollum. He also played for a much better conference than Lehigh. He also looks a bit more athletic. I'd consider strongly taking him with our second pick.

What about Donte from Villanova?

Return to Philadelphia 76ers