PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Re: '18 NBA Draft Thread Featuring Picks 10/26/38/39/56/60 

Post#2901 » by PhilasFinest » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:53 am

ivysixer2000 wrote:
PhilasFinest wrote:
ivysixer2000 wrote:
Shouldn't we get another center on the roster first, before dealing Holmes....

Holmes is in the last year of his deal. He's been glued to the bench barring injuries and is likely chomping at the bit to get a more extended look elsewhere...oh and even when Embiid missed time, we looked to a veteran like Amir Johnson to bring a more stable presence then Holmes.

Lets be honest here.....We aren't going to pay him to stick around, mine as well use him as a sweetener to obtain something if its possible.

I got all that, problem is Amir isn't on the roster. Holmes is the only guy on the roster right now that can play center.

Guess we will see how tomorrow turns out, maybe the plan is to draft one or pick up one in free agency. Course we might not have room to pick up one if we get a big free agent. Guess we will see.

I don’t think it will be hard to find a cheap backup 5....and we have 5 picks still in the draft.
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
ivysixer2000
General Manager
And1: 2,009

Post#2902 » by ivysixer2000 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:07 am

PhilasFinest wrote:
ivysixer2000 wrote:
PhilasFinest wrote:
Holmes is in the last year of his deal. He's been glued to the bench barring injuries and is likely chomping at the bit to get a more extended look elsewhere...oh and even when Embiid missed time, we looked to a veteran like Amir Johnson to bring a more stable presence then Holmes.

Lets be honest here.....We aren't going to pay him to stick around, mine as well use him as a sweetener to obtain something if its possible.

I got all that, problem is Amir isn't on the roster. Holmes is the only guy on the roster right now that can play center.

Guess we will see how tomorrow turns out, maybe the plan is to draft one or pick up one in free agency. Course we might not have room to pick up one if we get a big free agent. Guess we will see.

I don’t think it will be hard to find a cheap backup 5....and we have 5 picks still in the draft.

I hope so, I hate that Dedmon decided to stay in Atlanta though.

This also might be the season where BB actually has to play Holmes cause he doesn't have anyone better, just saying.
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,938

Post#2903 » by Foshan » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:09 am

ivysixer2000 wrote:
PhilasFinest wrote:
ivysixer2000 wrote:

This also might be the season where BB actually has to play Holmes cause he doesn't have anyone better, just saying.

He is our buyout target after the deadline ala Beli & Ersan
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,938

Post#2904 » by Foshan » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:11 am

I also would look to take on Gorat/inventive foe Holmes if Lebron doesn’t come
ivysixer2000
General Manager
And1: 2,009

Post#2905 » by ivysixer2000 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:37 am

Foshan wrote:
ivysixer2000 wrote:
PhilasFinest wrote:

He is our buyout target after the deadline ala Beli & Ersan

I kinda think we overrate him a bit, not too many teams are really looking for Holmes when we never play him.
PLO
Analyst
And1: 1,305

Post#2906 » by PLO » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:10 am

Ben Rubin has written some nice things about Negrodamus' pick in Chandler Hutchison:

"1) Other than Luka Doncic, this class probably doesn’t have a player that fits as a potential big wing primary type. However, if we look at players like Kawhi Leonard, Jimmy Butler, and even guys like Khris Middleton and Chandler Parsons who surprised later on, there are a couple of heuristics they had in common which do apply to one of this year’s college players — Chandler Hutchison.

These are first, multi-level unassisted offense at reasonable to exceptional volume, and second, the fact that they were all de facto perimeter initiators of college offenses at 6-foot-7 or greater, coupled with the fact that they were all college power forwards transitioning down to wing. Hutchison has some warts these players didn’t have in terms of decision making and turnovers, and his first step isn’t as good as the two upper order players listed above. But just by the numbers, if I was to pick a sleeper for much greater than expected offensive upside from a player of this class, he’d be the guy.

Hutchison doesn’t have lots of unassisted threes, but that was also the weakest part of the profiles of both Kawhi Leonard and Jimmy Butler, the latter who hardly shot them at all. 6-foot-7 college guys just don’t often have scoring profiles that look like this, at least not anymore [refer to link below for Hutchison's stats]"

link
LakersDynasty14 wrote:Lonzo Ball is literally on a Hall of Fame trajectory at this point. This thread is so full of fail.

shakes0 wrote:I hope they put Simmons on Trae. He'll foul him out by the 3rd quarter. plus Simmons can't stay in front of Trae. No one can.
Winejk
Bench Warmer
And1: 432

Post#2907 » by Winejk » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:35 am

Sixerscan wrote:Re: Smith: I don't think they would go that off the board at 10. Either a smokescreen or they'll look to move up from 26.

Though if they want to move up, arming the Lakers with 39 when they already have 25 is curious. not like the lakers want to keep a lot of salary on the books.

Smith is a target if the Sixers trade down. I doubt he's going #10. Phoenix is trying hard to move up from #16.
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Post#2908 » by Kolkmania » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:48 am

PhilBlackson wrote:I'm gonna throw out what might seem like a major stretch but I'd really consider JEROME ROBINSON with the #10.

Wow, that might be one of the hottest takes I've seen this year. What makes Jerome Robinson capital worthy to negate his absolutely horrible defense, 8'2'' standing reach as a 21 year old 6'5'' SG?
Kolkmania
Analyst

Post#2909 » by Kolkmania » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:57 am

Negrodamus wrote:Dude is pretty great. His UW game was a really bad game for him and he still put up huge numbers.

I like him a lot, but selecting him at #10 would probably be a waste. Not because he's not worthy, but because we could trade down and acquire an additional asset.

KramerDSP wrote:If Trae Young was on the board at #10 and we knew Phoenix wanted to get him using #16, what is the minimum you would accept?
Phoenix has two of the four best "future pick" assets in the NBA, IMO. They have the Miami 2021 1st (unprotected) and the Milwaukee 2019 1st (Only conveys if 4 through 16 in 2019, then if 8-30 in 2020, then unprotected in 2021).

If there was someone we thought we could still get at #16 that we would be happy with getting at #10, then I would accept #10 (Trae Young) + Bayless for #16 and the Milwaukee 2019 1st. ETA: Maybe possibly get Bender as well?

Now combine your terrific insights and we're on to something. 8-)

Milwaukee 2021 is last year of Giannis, so unless he forces himself out they're probably quite good in 2020/2021. Certainly willing to roll the dice on the Miami Heat 2021 pick.

Trae Young (#10) + Bayless for Chandler Hutchison (#16) + MIA '21 1st.

edit:
Foshan wrote:I also would look to take on Gorat/inventive foe Holmes if Lebron doesn’t come

Love the idea, acquiring their pick by itself is far too much for Gortat's one year contract. But Washington seems to have the incentives to trade him to avoid taxes.

#26 + Holmes (+ sweetener if necessary) for #15 and Gortat.

Result
Out: #10, #26, Bayless, Holmes (and maybe an additional sweetener)
In: #15, #16, MIA '21 1st and Gortat.

We take on a little bit of extra money for one year. However if James or George becomes available we can move things around to still make it happen. In addition we have two picks in the teens and take two fliers on whoever is left off Miles Bridges, Chandler Hutchison, SGA, Lonnie Walker, Robert Williams. And also important we acquire an additional future asset for the times we're capped.

I miss Hinkie, he would thrive in this hectic draft night.
PLO
Analyst

Post#2910 » by PLO » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:42 am

I'm honestly not a fan of Hutchison for us because his huge strength for me is his transition offense, well guess what, we already have a top 5 transition offense player as a starter. His weakness is the half court in terms of offense which is something we really need to address. I just don't see the fit with us; is he going to get the transition-lead opportunities Ben Simmons has now? Because that's a big reason why he's going to be drafted in the first round.

This is not to say he'll bust, (and not to mention some of his other drawbacks) I just don't see why we need him.
LakersDynasty14 wrote:Lonzo Ball is literally on a Hall of Fame trajectory at this point. This thread is so full of fail.

shakes0 wrote:I hope they put Simmons on Trae. He'll foul him out by the 3rd quarter. plus Simmons can't stay in front of Trae. No one can.
PLO
Analyst

Post#2911 » by PLO » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:06 am

Kolkmania
Analyst

Post#2912 » by Kolkmania » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:01 am

PLO wrote:I'm honestly not a fan of Hutchison for us because his huge strength for me is his transition offense, well guess what, we already have a top 5 transition offense player as a starter. His weakness is the half court in terms of offense which is something we really need to address. I just don't see the fit with us; is he going to get the transition-lead opportunities Ben Simmons has now? Because that's a big reason why he's going to be drafted in the first round.

This is not to say he'll bust, (and not to mention some of his other drawbacks) I just don't see why we need him.

I see this a lot, also in draft Twitter spheres. However when you see Hutchison play in the halfcourt, how many 6'7'' move this fluidly and shift with the ball in their hands? Is he explosive enough to blow by opponents in the NBA, probably not. However in a motion offense where the ball is moving and you can consistently attack closeouts, you have an environment he can thrive.

In the end is his shot the most important thing. With all the reports of his work ethic and mechanics I'm willing to bet on it.
WalterBenjamin
Pro Prospect
And1: 517

Post#2913 » by WalterBenjamin » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:03 am

I am starting to think that Huerter is the ideal guy for Phily. If he is a starter in the league his skills would be ideall as a 3-4 ballhandler in the starting line up.
PLO
Analyst

Post#2914 » by PLO » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:14 am

Kolkmania wrote:
PLO wrote:I'm honestly not a fan of Hutchison for us because his huge strength for me is his transition offense, well guess what, we already have a top 5 transition offense player as a starter. His weakness is the half court in terms of offense which is something we really need to address. I just don't see the fit with us; is he going to get the transition-lead opportunities Ben Simmons has now? Because that's a big reason why he's going to be drafted in the first round.

I see this a lot, also in draft Twitter spheres. However when you see Hutchison play in the halfcourt, how many 6'7'' move this fluidly and shift with the ball in their hands? Is he explosive enough to blow by opponents in the NBA, probably not. However in a motion offense where the ball is moving and you can consistently attack closeouts, you have an environment he can thrive.

In the end is his shot the most important thing. With all the reports of his work ethic and mechanics I'm willing to bet on it.

He doesn't have an NBA mid range game. Like basically at all. He's a fluid athlete without being exactly explosive. He's 22 years of age and shoots 71% from the stripe after shooting in the 60's for most of his college career. So that's what you're betting against when you bet on his work ethic.

phillychuck
Sophomore
And1: 55

Post#2915 » by phillychuck » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:27 am

Lonnie Walker/Zhaire Smith/Trae Young/Shai G-A

Who do you draft among these four if you're the Sixers (assume other choices are gone)?
Kolkmania
Analyst

Post#2916 » by Kolkmania » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:50 am

PLO wrote:
Kolkmania wrote:

He doesn't have an NBA mid range game. Like basically at all. He's a fluid athlete without being exactly explosive. He's 22 years of age and shoots 71% from the stripe after shooting in the 60's for most of his college career. So that's what you're betting against when you bet on his work ethic.

Yes, it's a bet at this point. However he didn't shoot at all until last year and he expanded his range to the three point line just this season. He shot over 300 attempts from midrange over the last two season, almost exclusively unassisted so disagree on the NBA mid range game.

The FT% is somewhat troubling, but he has a weird ritual prior to his shot which makes me cringe so much and I wonder what happens when he cuts it out.

He's also such a well spoken guy, praised for his work ethic a ton. Mentions his results of focussing the past two months on his jump shot as well.

ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,957

Post#2917 » by ankle420breaker » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:07 pm

I have a cringing feeling they're going to take Mikal at 10 despite players with more upside still being available.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
ProcessDoctor
General Manager
And1: 5,153

Post#2918 » by ProcessDoctor » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:13 pm

Hutchinson seems like a likable dude. Very well-spoken.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Council
Oubre/Batum/Martin
Harris/Covington/Wilson
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,063

Post#2919 » by Kobblehead » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:15 pm

Jojothewhale wrote:If you want to take a swing on upside, you should be happy with Smith.

What upside? He's just a hyper athlete with good court awareness that can defend. Maybe he works really hard on his shot and gets 3&D capabilities. I don't see any real upside with him, though.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,063

Post#2920 » by Kobblehead » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:16 pm

XDevilBoiX wrote:Brett’s offense is about ball movement/passing, he doesn’t care about dribbling lol

Which is why we're hopeless in late game situations. And are at a disadvantage scoring against playoff intensity defense in the 2nd round and beyond.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers