ImageImageImage

Joel Embiid - The Prophecy is Realized

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, CoreyGallagher, Sixerscan, Foshan

Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 11,797

Re: Joel Embiid - The Prophecy is Realized 

Post#1501 » by Sixerscan » Fri Aug 9, 2019 5:41 pm

Barkley wasn’t Jordan but that’s something he has in common with everyone else.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 8,867
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#1502 » by LloydFree » Fri Aug 9, 2019 5:45 pm

kuclas wrote:
LloydFree wrote:
kuclas wrote:
1986 sixers trade (s) sept the sixers back for 10 years. I have no reason why they traded the number 1 pick. What is the point of picking up Roy Hinson who played same exact position as Barkley.

If they didn’t think moses and Barkley couldn’t play together. Adding Hinson didn’t help either.

Just dumb trades.

Trading the #1 pick is a separate issue and you'll get no argument from me except that again, Roy Hinson shot from the elbows and top of the key, which was about as "stretch" as big men were back then. He wasn't glued to the Post like DrJ and Moses were.

Either way, I would have effd that too. Because I was a Len Bias fanatic. I would have picked him #1, and Barkley might have been packing his bags. LOL

1986. Sixers management probably thought their window was closed to win. Especially with Boston showing no signs of decline. (Ironically Kevin mchale injured foot the following season and bird back acted up shorted after)/rise of the pistons

They knew dr j was at the end. I mean I get the trade for jeff ruland trying to get younger. But Moses wasn’t that much older than ruland and been much healthier (31 years old vs 27 years old)

It’s like the equivalent of trading a 27 year old Joel
Embiid who would have had 2 injury plague seasons playing a combined 70 games during ages 25 and 26 for a declining age 31 shaq. U take 31 year old decling Shaq over a broken down 27 year old Joel embiid.

The window was closed. They had 5 future Hall of Famers on the roster, but three of them were well over 30 and only one could hit a shot outside of the paint. The game was changing and they were trying to get ahead of it. They just misjudged the amount of backlash they were setting themselves up for, by trading a legend for an injury prone borderline star.

Today I don't think the team would get nearly the amount of criticism, because the fans are more educated about transactions and team building. I was a teenager and I know I didn't understand it at the time.

But back to topic:

Barkley, then Moses, then Embiid who is just slightly ahead of Greer, Cunningham and Cheeks.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 11,260

Post#1503 » by Kobblehead » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:50 pm

Embiid has already reached an MVP caliber form. Which puts him in the rare air of just Iverson and Barkley. Now he just needs to sustain his current level of play and rack up playoff series wins. If he wins a title, he'll be vaulted to #1, outright.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 8,867
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#1504 » by LloydFree » Yesterday 1:52 am

Dr. J played 10 years for the 76ers, won MVP, won a Championship, and was THE face of the league for 3-4 seasons. Embiid got a bunch of work to do to pass Julius Erving in status.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down

Return to Philadelphia 76ers