Joel Embiid - The Prophecy is Realized

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

JJJgoat
Ballboy
And1: 2

Re: Joel Embiid - The Prophecy is Realized 

Post#1521 » by JJJgoat » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:39 am

Simmons25 wrote:
JJJgoat wrote:I was waiting for this. 25 pounds shed before training camp confirmed. Horford at 34 years old should relieve Embiid just enough. He's the face of the franchise, the face of trash talking. With absolutely zero mention of load management, I think at 25 years old with a very healthy ego he may just be prepping himself for an MVP run. For the first 1-2 months of last season, he in was firmly in the MVP race/discussion. Cannot wait.

MVP's are for guys who want to stand out on teams. I hated all the MVP talk last year... his focus should be on winning championships and not on winning MVP's. The scoring load should be coming off him not increasing.

Concur, but there's an insatiable desire to win an MVP in all the greats/former winners and i'd bet my life on Embiid wanting it just as much as anyone else.
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Post#1522 » by kuclas » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:44 pm

Embiid was in the top 4-6 discussion in December. But it was always giannis race to lose.

Harden than stepped it up.

I don’t think the media will ever consider embiid seriously for mvp unless he plays at least 67-70 games.

Even for all the jokic love. The real reason embiid didn’t get first team all nba the past 2 season is due to injuries as well.
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#1523 » by VDT » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:12 pm

MVP is largely meaningless.

Shaq won only one, he still dominated when it mattered.

Even if healthy i wouldnt play Embiid more than 60-65 games per year. It not only about this year, it is about him being able to play at this level 5 years from now.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,693

Post#1524 » by rzzzzz » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:17 pm

this year proves that regular season mvp is peanuts compared to leading your team to a title. and even hobbled and sick, Embiid was a serious force in the post season. just do what you can to keep him healthy (which Elton did big time in the off season) and after the parade JoJo will be historic.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,516

Post#1525 » by 76ciology » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:11 am

He can be an elite shooter and he should work to reach that. More than anything else.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
snoopdogg88
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,111

Post#1526 » by snoopdogg88 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:13 pm

Embiid will never play in enough games to win MVP
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1527 » by 76ciology » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:39 pm

snoopdogg88 wrote:Embiid will never play in enough games to win MVP

He has been playing like 70 games per season. I think its more than that. I also think he’s not getting respect because he always shrink in the playoffs.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#1528 » by Sixerscan » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:09 pm

76ciology wrote:

He has been playing like 70 games per season. I think its more than that. I also think he’s not getting respect because he always shrink in the playoffs.

The last two mvps were a guy that had never won a playoff round before and James Harden
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1529 » by 76ciology » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:54 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
76ciology wrote:

The last two mvps were a guy that had never won a playoff round before and James Harden

Not saying playoff performance determines MVP, but more of respect. Both guys played way better than Jojo in the playoffs. RW had like 13BPM in the playoffs in his mvp season. While in the playoffs, Embiid is like a center version of shane battier that people just points out his +/- as his best asset.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,119

Post#1530 » by eyeatoma » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:46 pm

76ciology wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
76ciology wrote:

Not saying playoff performance determines MVP, but more of respect. Both guys played way better than Jojo in the playoffs. RW had like 13BPM in the playoffs in his mvp season. While in the playoffs, Embiid is like a center version of shane battier that people just points out his +/- as his best asset.

Dude, both timse Joel was injured when he was in the playoffs. He doesn't shrink in the playoffs. The first time was due to his injury, and it was his first playoffs. The second time was due to multiple injury concerns. I think this can only be said if there are multiple occasions when he performs poorly in the playoffs and he is completely healthy. Is it a problem that Jo needs to address? Yes? But let's not act like he doesn't show up. There have been several playoff atmosphere games during the regular season when Jo has been incredible. He was also not terrible during his first playoffs given that he was playing with one eye, against a Boston defense that was designed to stop him, and had the benefit of a neutered Simmons.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,009

Post#1531 » by Bum Adebayo » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:50 pm

76ciology wrote:He can be an elite shooter and he should work to reach that. More than anything else.

Yeah, let's just follow current trends just because... yeah.
He cannot be an elite shooter, he is nowhere close enough to one, he is a solid midrange shooter and a capable 3pt shooter, that's it.
He needs to improve on post moves as much as shooting, post play is still effective and viable, he just needs more refinement. Don't give a **** what analytics tell me about post play being inefficient, We will prove em wrong.
Great takes since 2024-04-20
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#1532 » by Sixerscan » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:49 am

76ciology wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
76ciology wrote:

Well maybe you shouldn't have responded to a post about mvp lol

Westbrook was garbage in that playoff series btw
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,753

Post#1533 » by Sixersftw » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:14 pm

c/o u/flirtatiousturtle on reddit.

Ummm the league is ****? Usually the +25/-25 pounds offseason stuff is crap but dude is looking aerodynamic.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#1534 » by VDT » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:41 pm

Weight loss is not a panacea.

Each player needs to find his ideal playing weight.

Embiid is the primary scorer on the team so i need him to be as unstoppable as possible, which means that i want him to score in the paint and not shoot jumpers all the time.

He needs to find the optimal (for his game) balance between strength, quickness and endurance and this will probably involve some trial and error.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,009

Post#1535 » by Bum Adebayo » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:09 pm

Body fat is what matters, if he lost 25 pounds but lost significant muscle mass, then that is not good, but if it's mostly fat then it is a really good thing.
Great takes since 2024-04-20
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,965

Post#1536 » by ankle420breaker » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:15 pm

Sixersftw wrote:Image
c/o u/flirtatiousturtle on reddit.

Ummm the league is ****? Usually the +25/-25 pounds offseason stuff is crap but dude is looking aerodynamic.
Delighted to see him committed to showing up to camp a bit lighter on his feet. Staying off social media and reducing his shirley temple and chicken sandwich intake. Laser focused and just quietly going about his business.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#1537 » by Ericb5 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:53 pm

I read an article today that said that Brett Brown confirmed Embiid’s weighloss, but there was no quote in the article from Brown.

Can anyone point me to a source where Brown confirms that Embiid lost 25 pounds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sicnarf
Sophomore
And1: 83

Post#1538 » by Sicnarf » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:40 pm

I prefer Joel to win Finals MVP... I don't mind about RS anymore... ;-)
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Post#1539 » by kuclas » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:20 pm

Embiid was less social media and more getting into shape this off season. He means business this year.

This will be his 4th season. He gonna to take over the league. And this will be the year he will prove it. Age 25 season. It’s peak time for him. Him and Ben 3rd season. It’s time.
snoopdogg88
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,111

Post#1540 » by snoopdogg88 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:41 pm

Is anyone else kind of baffled by how quiet Embiid was this offseason?
Like I’m not saying it was bad or good, just kind of weird.

He went from being one of the most vocal social media athletes in the league to being silent. I know people who always saw him out in the city even something as simple as playing at local courts, this summer I didn’t hear a peep.
The entire team went paintballing the other day, except for Embiid.

I’m just confused what he was up to.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers