Joel Embiid - The Prophecy is Realized

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

snoopdogg88
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,111

Re: Joel Embiid - The Prophecy is Realized 

Post#1561 » by snoopdogg88 » Fri Oct 4, 2019 1:34 pm

kio80 wrote:
snoopdogg88 wrote:Why are people surprised that Joel isn’t thrilled that we let arguably the 2nd best player on the team and our clutch stone cold killer walk in free agency?
He was called the adult in the room for a reason.

Cause he’s old?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What does that make Al Horford?
kio80
Sixth Man
And1: 1,076

Joel Embiid - The Prophecy is Realized 

Post#1562 » by kio80 » Fri Oct 4, 2019 1:34 pm

snoopdogg88 wrote:
kio80 wrote:
snoopdogg88 wrote:Why are people surprised that Joel isn’t thrilled that we let arguably the 2nd best player on the team and our clutch stone cold killer walk in free agency?
He was called the adult in the room for a reason.

Cause he’s old?

What does that make Al Horford?

Older

LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#1563 » by LloydFree » Fri Oct 4, 2019 1:58 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:I really wish Embiid was a bit wiser with his words. It's great to see an honest superstar, but overt transparency isn't always best.

"We talk a lot, that’s my guy, that’s my brother forever. I wish he was still on the team, because I feel like the relationship that I built with him could have gone a long way. When it was the fourth quarter, we knew the ball would either be in me or Jimmy’s hands. I knew I could count on him. This year it kind of changes around. Now other guys have to step up and I have to do more."

https://sports.yahoo.com/joel-embiid-jimmy-butler-wish-232129973.html

The last part just sounds a bit whiny and ungrateful for the team we've got going into this season.

This isn't a big deal. He said similar things when they traded Dario and Covington for Butler... and when they traded away Illyasova for the fake 1st... and when they traded away Noel. He always laments it when they trade his friends or guys with which he liked playing.

Stands to reason Embiid felt this way.. Butler didn't take away, or interfere with Embiid's game. Butler, with his style of play, interfered with Simmons and marginalized Harris. It's not Embiid's job to see the big picture. It's Brand's job to see the bigger picture. They corrected that issue, whether Embiid sees it or not.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
kio80
Sixth Man
And1: 1,076

Post#1564 » by kio80 » Fri Oct 4, 2019 1:59 pm

LloydFree wrote:
ProcessDoctor wrote:I really wish Embiid was a bit wiser with his words. It's great to see an honest superstar, but overt transparency isn't always best.

"We talk a lot, that’s my guy, that’s my brother forever. I wish he was still on the team, because I feel like the relationship that I built with him could have gone a long way. When it was the fourth quarter, we knew the ball would either be in me or Jimmy’s hands. I knew I could count on him. This year it kind of changes around. Now other guys have to step up and I have to do more."

The last part just sounds a bit whiny and ungrateful for the team we've got going into this season.

This isn't a big deal. He said similar things when they traded Dario and Covington for Butler... and when they traded away Illyasova for the fake 1st... and when they traded away Noel. He always be laments it when they trade his friends or guys with which he he liked playing.

Stands to reason Embiid felt this way.. Butler didn't take away, or interfere with Embiid's game. Butler, with his style of play, interfered with Simmons and marginalized Harris. It's not Embiid's job to see the big picture. It's Brand's job to see the bigger picture. They corrected that issue, whether Embiid sees it or not.

This guys knows what he’s talking about

Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,009

Post#1565 » by Bum Adebayo » Fri Oct 4, 2019 2:05 pm

The big picture is knowing Embiid's opinion is irrelevant from what I see. It is all about how Butler fits and if his game is outdated or not. The bond he formed with Embiid, how clutch he is, all of that stuff doesn't matter.
Great takes since 2024-04-20
agiaco
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#1566 » by agiaco » Fri Oct 4, 2019 3:31 pm

LloydFree wrote:

This isn't a big deal. He said similar things when they traded Dario and Covington for Butler... and when they traded away Illyasova for the fake 1st... and when they traded away Noel. He always laments it when they trade his friends or guys with which he liked playing.

Considering the way the NBA is trending with players becoming such big babies, demanding trades and trying to run the show...Embiid's comments have been very timid. I don't mind his honesty and don't think it's hurting anything. He's going to get along with his new teammates just as well and enjoy playing with Horford, JRich, Burke, etc.
reignfire
Sixth Man
And1: 864

Post#1567 » by reignfire » Fri Oct 4, 2019 4:32 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:The big picture is knowing Embiid's opinion is irrelevant from what I see. It is all about how Butler fits and if his game is outdated or not. The bond he formed with Embiid, how clutch he is, all of that stuff doesn't matter.

Really?

After what just happened this summer in NBA free agency?

I'm still wondering who is going to get the ball in crunch time in the 4th. It's not going to Embiid because the paint will be clogged.
agiaco
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#1568 » by agiaco » Fri Oct 4, 2019 5:47 pm

reignfire wrote:
Bum Adebayo wrote:The big picture is knowing Embiid's opinion is irrelevant from what I see. It is all about how Butler fits and if his game is outdated or not. The bond he formed with Embiid, how clutch he is, all of that stuff doesn't matter.

Really?

I'm still wondering who is going to get the ball in crunch time in the 4th. It's not going to Embiid because the paint will be clogged.

I don't see as big of an issue with that this year. Jimmy was a de facto 4th quarter closer. Too often we deferred to JJ to bail us out as well. This year we will have better ball movement and more variety in plays with the addition of Horford and Richardson. Tobias should be able to take the reigns on scoring down the stretch. If Simmons has even a marginally improved jumper the team is in better shape. Even a guy like Burke could be a spark in the fourth.

Win and close by committee. Plenty of guys are capable of taking and making important shots, or making the right pass to get better looks. It's too frustrating and predictable the way the Sixers were trying to close some games last year, and of course some of that is on Brown as well.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager

Post#1569 » by Bum Adebayo » Fri Oct 4, 2019 6:01 pm

reignfire wrote:

Really?

I mean, it doesn't really matter who gets the ball in crunch time, the only thing that matters is taking good and efficient shots according to analytics, which is always possible. Butler is old and doesn't fit with our core, and it is entirely his fault that Simmons can't **** shoot so he was mocked for not being a spot up 3pt shooter. His ability to hit shots in crunch time has zero value, spamming 3pt shots nets you a higher percentage.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,782

Post#1570 » by Negrodamus » Fri Oct 4, 2019 6:35 pm

Read on Twitter

Man, throws Barkley under the bus, lol. Also, he's not wrong.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager

Post#1571 » by Bum Adebayo » Fri Oct 4, 2019 8:23 pm

After seeing some players from other teams have been measured barefoot , I wonder what will be the real height of Embiid and Simmons. I say 7'0.5" Embiid.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,104

Post#1572 » by Kobblehead » Fri Oct 4, 2019 9:55 pm

Barkley said all summer that the Sixers could win the championship in 2020 if Embiid "gets his fat but in shape."

So obviously Joel was sitting on this and waiting to send a potshot back.
Clay Davis
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,691

Post#1573 » by Clay Davis » Fri Oct 4, 2019 11:08 pm

Losing the primary ball-handler for half-court situations could be pretty damning. The Butler-Embiid PnR was pretty lethal. Let's see how Ben does before we say the 76ers are worse.

I don't think adding a 4/5 will make up for losing what Jimmy brought.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using RealGM mobile app
Steelo Green wrote:People are expecting way too much from Barnes out of the get go. He is a project player who will need 2-3 years before he makes a major impact.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#1574 » by Sixerscan » Sat Oct 5, 2019 12:40 am

Around 4 minutes in he talks about how the "ball handling" he worked this summer on was avoiding/passing out of double teams
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,965

Post#1575 » by ankle420breaker » Sat Oct 5, 2019 3:23 pm

What time is the scrimmage today? Is it being streamed?

(Just realized this was the wrong thread-- my bad)

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,782

Post#1576 » by Negrodamus » Sat Oct 5, 2019 3:27 pm

I believe I saw 1pm and it will be streamed on the sixers site and Facebook page
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,965

Post#1577 » by ankle420breaker » Sat Oct 5, 2019 3:31 pm

Negrodamus wrote:I believe I saw 1pm and it will be streamed on the sixers site and Facebook page
Perfect. Thank you sir.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
reignfire
Sixth Man
And1: 864

Post#1578 » by reignfire » Sat Oct 5, 2019 5:56 pm

So official heights are out.

Embiid 6' 11.75''
Simmons 6' 9.5''

I can't believe that Embiid is only 2.25 inches taller than Simmons. Every time they stand together he looks close to 4 inches taller.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,193

Post#1579 » by ProcessDoctor » Sat Oct 5, 2019 6:04 pm

Surprised Embiid isn't at least 7'1". Simmons's height seems about right.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#1580 » by VDT » Sat Oct 5, 2019 6:17 pm

So is Embiid wearing sandals with a 2+ inch heel on them?

Return to Philadelphia 76ers