Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

agiaco
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Re: Joel Embiid - The Prophecy is Realized 

Post#1761 » by agiaco » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:41 pm

kuclas wrote:
agiaco wrote:
phillynative wrote:What positives can we get from him being out?

Allowing players like Al and Ben to find their groove and gain some confidence. Especially big Al. I think he needed a little reboot and this might help him most. Hopefully allow Brett to recognize some patterns or strengths of the team when Joel is on the bench and learn how to incorporate the pieces better.

Al doesn’t need a reboot. He’s a 13 year veteran. A professional’s professional.

It’s Ben who needs to take control of the team while embiid is out.

He's still looking to find his role with this team. A professional can still freshen up and acclimate to something new. I think Embiid being out will help him get in a groove more offensively.
pickprotection
Sophomore
And1: 44

Post#1762 » by pickprotection » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:47 pm

If Embiid makes all-nba next year or this year than he will be eligible for a 4 year $200 million extension after next season (summer of 2021).

Should we be rooting for him to make all-nba given the hefty bill he would require to keep?

Are the Sixers going to trade him like the Bulls traded Butler (at 27) and the Kings traded Cousins (at 26) when they were eligible for the supermax with 2 years left and the team said 'nah I'd rather trade him than pay him'?
XtremeDunkz
General Manager
And1: 6,828

Post#1763 » by XtremeDunkz » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:00 pm

pickprotection wrote:If Embiid makes all-nba next year or this year than he will be eligible for a 4 year $200 million extension after next season (summer of 2021).

Should we be rooting for him to make all-nba given the hefty bill he would require to keep?

Are the Sixers going to trade him like the Bulls traded Butler (at 27) and the Kings traded Cousins (at 26) when they were eligible for the supermax with 2 years left and the team said 'nah I'd rather trade him than pay him'?

We are gonna be over the cap for the remainder of Ben/Joels time here so it literally doesnt matter.
10/27/16
Nemesis21 wrote:It is absolutely hilarious hearing people still say Embiid has superstar potential.The guy is one injury away from being Greg Oden.:lol: Except Oden manged to play over 100 games in the NBA, I don't think Embiid will play more.
pickprotection
Sophomore

Post#1764 » by pickprotection » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:02 pm

XtremeDunkz wrote:
pickprotection wrote:If Embiid makes all-nba next year or this year than he will be eligible for a 4 year $200 million extension after next season (summer of 2021).

We are gonna be over the cap for the remainder of Ben/Joels time here so it literally doesnt matter.

Josh Harris begs to differ.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,531

Post#1765 » by 76ciology » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:20 pm

I dont think his shoes are going to sell.

P.S. the new jordan 34 shoes are nice
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
pickprotection
Sophomore

Post#1766 » by pickprotection » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:21 pm

Embiid in college (250 lbs):

Embiid rookie year (~265 lbs):

Embiid now (280+ lbs)

Right now Embiid is too much talk not enough action. I can't take his players tribune article seriously until he gets back into peak shape. There is no reason he can't be swimming or doing zero gravity trademills while off.

He says he lost 20 lbs yet he was officially measured at 280 lbs on media day yet last year he was 275 lbs. If anything he gained weight.
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,965

Post#1767 » by ankle420breaker » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:27 pm

pickprotection wrote:Embiid in college (250 lbs):

Embiid now (280+ lbs)

Right now Embiid is too much talk not enough action. I can't take his players tribune article seriously until he gets back into peak shape. There is no reason he can't be swimming or doing zero gravity trademills while off.

He says he lost 20 lbs yet he was officially measured at 280 lbs on media day yet last year he was 275 lbs. If anything he gained weight.
Couldn't agree more. He should've been more motivated than ever coming into this season yet he showed up to camp out of shape and his weaknesses have only amplified.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
nbakid123
Ballboy
And1: 17

Post#1768 » by nbakid123 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:29 pm

Overrated
pickprotection
Sophomore

Post#1769 » by pickprotection » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:30 pm

ankle420breaker wrote:

Embiid now (280+ lbs)

Couldn't agree more. He should've been more motivated than ever coming into this season yet he showed up to camp out of shape and his weaknesses have only amplified.

You would think a center with knee, feet and back issue would try to get rid of as much weight as possible. Gobert is taller and longer and yet came in at 250 lbs on media day. What does the weight really help with? maybe slightly on post ups but it sure makes you slower on defense and drives and on face ups. Embiid has gotten worse at shooting, face-ups and drives since he put on the weight only to improve his post-ups. If he wasn't so large maybe he wouldn't get shut down by fat Marc Gasol. Gasol struggles against any mobile center.
Simmons25
Analyst
And1: 2,235

Post#1770 » by Simmons25 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:12 am

I still don't understand how someone that looked like this 8 years ago would be known in his career for being constantly out of shape and overweight.

VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#1771 » by VDT » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:03 am

Embiid now (280+ lbs)

Players (and human beings in general) get larger/heavier from 18 to 25-30. Even if they dont get taller they generally acquire more mass. You cant expect Embiid to have the same weight as in college and i dont think it would help him much.
Tomjas
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,173

Post#1772 » by Tomjas » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:10 pm

VDT wrote:

Embiid now (280+ lbs)

Players (and human beings in general) get larger/heavier from 18 to 25-30. Even if they dont get taller they generally acquire more mass. You cant expect Embiid to have the same weight as in college and i dont think it would help him much.

This

Definitely needs to watch his diet though

Fun fact: you can swim 50 laps or spend an hour per day on the stair master and you won’t lose an ounce if your diet is crap

Basketball is a high intensity aerobic sport and fact that he’s gaining weight tells me that he needs to do more in this regard
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,863

Post#1773 » by Stanford » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:22 pm

Tomjas wrote:Fun fact: you can swim 50 laps or spend an hour per day on the stair master and you won’t lose an ounce if your diet is crap

I think you forget what it was like to be in your 20s.
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Post#1774 » by kuclas » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:23 pm

Embiid weight balloon after all star break last season.

I dunno what to think of his weight in general. His conditioning is more of a concern to me. He just doesn’t exert 100% effort for the better parts of 40/50-% of most games. U can tell in Xmas day Milwaukee game. He showed 100% effort. Against Boston 100% effort. But it’s the lack of effort that’s more concerning. Jogging back after made free throw attempt and Clint capela racing ahead of embiid and scoring on easy layup with pass form James harden.

That’s effort.

So is it weight? Or effort? Or both? When he shows effort. He’s a top 5 nba player. Unfortunately he doesn’t bring it every game.

He was at the game last night. Surgery has been 6 days. Are they still think “re evaluated in 1-2 weeks”. Just seems they are still planning to keep him out a while.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,443

Post#1775 » by Eyeamok » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:40 pm

It's incredible with all the medical science at their fingertips, professional athletics still struggle with weight and conditioning. But one of the least understood facets of the human condition is motivation and how to get it and keep it. How to set priorities and goals and achieve them. Because it's not one size fits all. I'm sure Embiid want's to be fitter and wants to be in better condition, but he just probably does not know how to do/ or is willing to do the things that he needs to do consistently.

As far as if it's weight or effort. Joel by his own admission, Christmas game interview, said wait until the playoffs. He is holding back thinking he can turn the switch on and off. He believes he can be average, with some good games in the RS, and go full tilt in the playoffs. But just like a plane. You don't just take off. You have to ramp up and gain speed and then you have liftoff. But what do I know. I guess now that we are at the 1/2 point of the regular season we will see very soon.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
pickprotection
Sophomore

Post#1776 » by pickprotection » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:04 pm

Losing weight and being in peak condition is one of the easiest fixes you can make as a professional athlete it's not complicated like fixing a shot or getting better at dribbling etc. That's why I question Embiid's professionalism and motivation when is glaringly out of shape and is routinely getting beat down the court by the opposing centers like Gobert, Capela and Adams this season who are as tall as him.

force on your bones is proportional to mass squared so you would think an athlete with probably the most injury concerns in the nba would take his diet, weight and conditioning seriously since it's been a glaring concern since the 2018 playoffs and it appears nothing has been fixed yet.

The 4 chick-fil-a milkshakes on every flight is a joke although he probably thinks it's funny.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,107

Post#1777 » by Kobblehead » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:16 pm

Embiid is never going to be a guy that values nutrition and being in shape. It's unfortunate, but not the worst thing in the world. Shaq was always out of shape, too. Joel will still produce at a hall of fame rate and have us in position to perennially make the playoffs. Once he gets a worthy co-star, we'll contend for championships on a yearly basis. Him being fat and out of shape won't stop that.
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Post#1778 » by kuclas » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:20 pm

Kobblehead wrote:Embiid is never going to be a guy that values nutrition and being in shape. It's unfortunate, but not the worst thing in the world. Shaq was always out of shape, too. Joel will still produce at a hall of fame rate and have us in position to perennially make the playoffs. Once he gets a worthy co-star, we'll contend for championships on a yearly basis. Him being fat and out of shape won't stop that.

That’s why shaq and Barkley got on his case. For not bringing it every game

Unfortunately. I think embiid needs a wake up call. Just don’t know when it’s gonna to come. Plus is always injured. Fluke injury or not. He’s not available to sixers for more than 60-65 games a season.

He’s out 11 games so far. Easily can be out the next 10-12 games. That means he’s on pace to play 55 games this season.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,107

Post#1779 » by Kobblehead » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:23 pm

Getting himself in shape won't guarantee his durability or availability. I can't think of a better physical specimen at the C position than Dwight Howard and his elite level fitness and conditioning didn't shield him from injuries.
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 41,287

Post#1780 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:27 pm

Not really that hard to believe, he was exposed to more carbs and sugars when he got to the US. My friend put on around 35lbs his first year in the states, our portions and food in general can sky rocket your weight if you're not careful.
Simmons25 wrote:I still don't understand how someone that looked like this 8 years ago would be known in his career for being constantly out of shape and overweight.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using RealGM mobile app

Return to Philadelphia 76ers