Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,443

Re: Markelle Fultz Episode V: The Jumper Strikes Back 

Post#781 » by Eyeamok » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:38 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:
Ericb5 wrote:When people on this board revel in saying that it is mental, what they are really saying is “he is weak and I wish he wasn’t on our team”.

It’s unproductive because he clearly had physical and mental issues going on because once the pain went away, he still wasn’t able to regain his form and that started the mental difficulties.

It isn’t like he was just cruising along and then suddenly lost it due to mental problems. The mental issues were in trying to regain the form after he lost it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We went from a GM that told us we would suck for several years, then we would get better to one that told us he was "just" dealing with an injury when it was more than that.

The fan base is not stupid, we have eyes and we can research. The front office was trying to feed the fan base chit and telling us it was soup. So when fans say "he is weak and I wish he wasn't on our team." What they are really saying is if our front office had been more transparent with us and not tried to play us for fools, we could have handled that a lot better than the BS we were told. And no real 76er fan wants Fultz to fail. He has just become a whipping boy because of the way the situation was handled.

We've known for months now he was tinkering with his shot and his form got screwed up out of that.

This is what I'm talking about. If he screwed up his mechanics is that a "mental issue"? People are just using that as a catch all.

Let's say his shot got screwed up from tinkering with his form.
If he can't get his form back after a summer of tinkering with it, after having that form for several years. That is a mental issue.
And it does not discount anything else he may have been going through. It could easily become a compound effect. Keep in mind he was/is a young 19 year old. Everything becomes super magnified when things are not going the way they are supposed to.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
fl311
Senior
And1: 1,182

Post#782 » by fl311 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:45 pm

Its not hard to figure out people.

His old trainer tried altering his shot which in turn hurt his shoulder. He then got his shoulder right but went through some mental blocks with how to shoot. Its just like a golfer when they try to change their swing. When they try and go back to the old swing, they forget.

Give him the summer to work on nothing but his shot and go through the repetitive motions and he should get it back.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#783 » by Sixerscan » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:47 pm

Eyeamok wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:
We went from a GM that told us we would suck for several years, then we would get better to one that told us he was "just" dealing with an injury when it was more than that.

The fan base is not stupid, we have eyes and we can research. The front office was trying to feed the fan base chit and telling us it was soup. So when fans say "he is weak and I wish he wasn't on our team." What they are really saying is if our front office had been more transparent with us and not tried to play us for fools, we could have handled that a lot better than the BS we were told. And no real 76er fan wants Fultz to fail. He has just become a whipping boy because of the way the situation was handled.

We've known for months now he was tinkering with his shot and his form got screwed up out of that.

This is what I'm talking about. If he screwed up his mechanics is that a "mental issue"? People are just using that as a catch all.

If he can't get his form back after a summer of tinkering with it, after having that form for several years. That is a mental issue.
And it does not discount anything else he may have been going through. It could easily become a compound effect. Keep in mind he was/is a young 19 year old. Everything becomes super magnified when things are not going the way they are supposed to.

Why is it a mental issue and what does that mean? Wasn't the trainer reinforcing bad habits through like late January? If you practice shooting like Shaq you're going to shoot like Shaq.

If Hanlen fixes his shot does that mean he solved the mental issue?

I just feel like people throw "mental issue" out there like it means something and I'm not sure that it does...
gdog2004
Starter
And1: 706

Post#784 » by gdog2004 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:00 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:

Why is it a mental issue and what does that mean? Wasn't the trainer reinforcing bad habits through like late January? If you practice shooting like Shaq you're going to shoot like Shaq.

I just feel like people throw "mental issue" out there like it means something and I'm not sure that it does...

If its not physical, and he forgot how to shoot, has the yips, has anxiety...whatever...how else would you categorize it ? Do you know of another category besides mental or physical ? I don't. He has talent so its not like he sucks. Hes a good player going thru some issues. Pretty simple.
FireMorey
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,601

Post#785 » by FireMorey » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:06 pm

fl311 wrote:Its not hard to figure out people.

His old trainer tried altering his shot which in turn hurt his shoulder. He then got his shoulder right but went through some mental blocks with how to shoot. Its just like a golfer when they try to change their swing. When they try and go back to the old swing, they forget.

Give him the summer to work on nothing but his shot and go through the repetitive motions and he should get it back.

Some variation of that is likely what happened, but you can see why it's hard for people to figure out right? Forgetting how to shoot isn't normal. People tweak their shots all the time and less than 1% of them forget how to shoot. It's just incredibly rare, it's not an easy thing to forget, so people are going to have a hard time coming to grips with it.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#786 » by Sixerscan » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:13 pm

gdog2004 wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:

If its not physical, and he forgot how to shoot, has the yips, has anxiety...whatever...how else would you categorize it ? Do you know of another category besides mental or physical ? I don't. He has talent so its not like he sucks. Hes a good player going thru some issues. Pretty simple.

He has anxiety? That's news to me.

I categorize it the way I said, he developed bad habits with this coach, and then reinforced them for months. They started to finally get him moving in the right direction towards the end of the year and hopefully Hanlen can finish the job.

I'm not saying he does or doesn't have a mental issue, I'm saying we're obscuring the real issue from the outside which is his shooting form. If Drew Hanlen gets him extending his arm properly it doesn't mean that he solved some sort of mental disorder with him or something.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,443

Post#787 » by Eyeamok » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:26 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:

The word mental issue can be and is used as a catch all. And it has a very negative connotation associated with it.

If people had said Fultz had a mental block when it comes to shooting, perhaps people/ fans would have had a different take on things. Because you may have had a mental block when it came to learning Geometry...your friend had a mental block when it came to swimming. Mental blocks are not new to us and we can relate. Mental issues tend to conjure up visions of a person who is not quite our norm of "normal" .

If Hanlen fixes his shot, to me that means he just helped him develop coping skills to get past his mental block/issue. And get him back to where he was. Because he has had a hard time getting back there after "just 3 months" of shooting a new way.

And it might just be a simple case of a young guy losing his way and having a hard time finding his way back for whatever reason.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#788 » by LloydFree » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:42 pm

MambaJuice wrote:What I want to know is, can you get the Markelle Fultz free throw motion in 2k19? Asking for a friend.

The way they make the games these days, they'll probably have his image shoot with the exact free throw motion he displayed. That will be hilarious.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
gdog2004
Starter

Post#789 » by gdog2004 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:17 pm

Eyeamok wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:

The word mental issue can be and is used as a catch all. And it has a very negative connotation associated with it.

If people had said Fultz had a mental block when it comes to shooting, perhaps people/ fans would have had a different take on things.
Because you may have had a mental block when it came to learning Geometry...your friend had a mental block when it came to swimming. Mental blocks are not new to us and we can relate. Mental issues tend to conjure up visions of a person who is not quite our norm of "normal" .

If Hanlen fixes his shot, to me that means he just helped him develop coping skills to get past his mental block/issue. And get him back to where he was. Because he has had a hard time getting back there after "just 3 months" of shooting a new way.

And it might just be a simple case of a young guy losing his way and having a hard time finding his way back for whatever reason.

That's very true. But to a lot of people, mental block is still "mental" and some people just hear the word "mental" and associate it with "cuckoo cuckoo" head case. That's not the way I look at it but not everyone sees it the same way.
Mental block about shooting could also be considered yips. When I read the definition of yips, I think its totally plausible that could be Markelle's issue.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/yips/symptoms-causes/syc-20379021
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#790 » by Ericb5 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:40 am

That’s exactly how I see it. His confidence was shaken in his shooting form, and if the scuttlebut from the Colangelo burner accounts are to be believed then his confidence may have been shaken a bit in life with a father figure steering him in the wrong direction, and betraying him, or something personal to that effect.

He is a sensitive kid, and he may be a “young” 19 maturity wise. Being immature doesn’t always mean partying and getting into trouble. Sometimes it means not emotionally grown up yet. People keep describing him as odd, but he is well loved by those around him and I don’t take oddness or sensitivity as negatives.

As a basketball player he is a ball of natural skill, and talent.

He is going to get back on track and be awesome for us next year, and even more so beyond next year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,528

Post#791 » by 76ciology » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:02 am

So in between when his college season ended somewhere in feb or march to SL, which should be around july. He was already struggling to knock down shots on his try outs! He spent 3 months in a toxic shooting situation when he changed his mechanics and hurt his shoulder by shooting thousands of shots.

When SL started, we already saw a change in mechanics. He was shooting 40% on low volume on 3s. But it went downhill fast from there.

I guess he lost his confidence while the reptition of shooting with a new form for like 3-4 months straight lead him to forget his shot?

Somebody should document what happens when you try a new shooting style for like 3-4 months straight with hundreds of shot per day, try to hurt the shoulder then what happens when you revert back to your old mechanic. How hard would it be to regain your old shooting mechanic and confidence?

Anyway, whats in the past is past. He just need to get back on track
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
FlyingArrow
Starter
And1: 1,432

Post#792 » by FlyingArrow » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:09 am

I think he's just a goofy 19 year old. I was at that age, too. (Maybe I still am.) But I hung out with 19 year olds who either were also goofy or at were at least able to relate. Markelle on the other hand has his life displayed to the whole world.
BryansBurner
Sophomore
And1: 134

Post#793 » by BryansBurner » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:16 am

I said a long time ago it was an anxiety issue. He seems like an introvert who probably freaked out when he realized he was the top prospect in the upcoming draft - I think we don't appreciate how terrifying that must be. Having an entire city hanging on your development. And then we traded two picks to get him. That would break a lot of people - including me.

I am surprised this doesn't happen more. it seems like it happens in football to quarterbacks but not as much in basketball. Anthony Bennett is a different case - he just didn't want to work hard and work past the difficult parts. Fultz is someone who desperately wants to contribute - probably too much. Sometimes when you want something so bad you over think everything and that is what is happening with his jumpshot. I am sure his mind is thinking about it every second of the day. It's torture.

He needs to see a sports psychologist & start meditating several times a day.

I knew the injury was mostly fabricated after the game against the Wizards. He had a dribble move where he spun in the lane and made an effortless jumpshot. When he is doing something athletic he resorts to muscle memory. When he takes a catch and shoot jumper he overthinks and has the yips.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#794 » by 76ciology » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:00 am

"KIND OF THE YIPS"
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#795 » by 76ciology » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:12 am

BryansBurner wrote:I said a long time ago it was an anxiety issue. He seems like an introvert who probably freaked out when he realized he was the top prospect in the upcoming draft - I think we don't appreciate how terrifying that must be. Having an entire city hanging on your development. And then we traded two picks to get him. That would break a lot of people - including me.

I am surprised this doesn't happen more. it seems like it happens in football to quarterbacks but not as much in basketball. Anthony Bennett is a different case - he just didn't want to work hard and work past the difficult parts. Fultz is someone who desperately wants to contribute - probably too much. Sometimes when you want something so bad you over think everything and that is what is happening with his jumpshot. I am sure his mind is thinking about it every second of the day. It's torture.

I knew the injury was mostly fabricated after the game against the Wizards. He had a dribble move where he spun in the lane and made an effortless jumpshot. When he is doing something athletic he resorts to muscle memory. When he takes a catch and shoot jumper he overthinks and has the yips.

I read a lot about anxiety stuff because a big part of my job is presenting projects to clients. There's no way to do it but by overpreparation by breaking it into stages and mastering every stage and experience.

He had a ton of experience last season, I hope that will be enough.

You just need to get into the right step, ride the momentum and let the game slow down
76ciology
RealGM

Post#796 » by 76ciology » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:15 am

I dont know if hanlen was really joking. But he said that he keeps telling Fultz that he honestly think Tatum was the best player in his draft class. I dont know if he's just saying it to fire it up.

Nevertheless, he said Fultz KIND OF have the yips and he FORGOT to shoot. Bizarre. But like I said, we wont know unless somebody can spend hundred of shots with a new mechanics for like 3 months and see how hard it is to revert to the old shooting mechanics
hookshot199
Analyst
And1: 723

Post#797 » by hookshot199 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:19 pm

BryansBurner wrote:I said a long time ago it was an anxiety issue. He seems like an introvert who probably freaked out when he realized he was the top prospect in the upcoming draft - I think we don't appreciate how terrifying that must be. Having an entire city hanging on your development. And then we traded two picks to get him. That would break a lot of people - including me.

I knew the injury was mostly fabricated after the game against the Wizards. He had a dribble move where he spun in the lane and made an effortless jumpshot. When he is doing something athletic he resorts to muscle memory. When he takes a catch and shoot jumper he over thinks and has the yips.

I suspect the anxiety, even introvert part is true. It has nothing to do with somebody breaking his shot down and learning to shoot like Don Nelson. If you don't remember Don Nelson - his son is currently the general manager of the Mavs - here's a blast from the past. I don't like to blame everything on the Colangelos, but surely somebody should have been monitoring Fultz's rehab following his ankle injury last July because he shot fluidly in the summer league games.

Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,801

Post#798 » by Negrodamus » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:37 pm

This has literally been my theory from the beginning. I also don’t think it’s a big deal to come out and say that this was the issue. It’s not a red flag, to me, if he was training too hard and he injured himself. It show dedication. The way Colangelo handled Fultz’s offseason and subsequent injury transparency was the true malpractice here.
gdog2004
Starter

Post#799 » by gdog2004 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:02 pm

Negrodamus wrote:

This has literally been my theory from the beginning. I also don’t think it’s a big deal to come out and say that this was the issue. It’s not a red flag, to me, if he was training too hard and he injured himself. It show dedication. The way Colangelo handled Fultz’s offseason and subsequent injury transparency was the true malpractice here.

I listened to Drew Hanlen's interview. Seems like a great guy. I think he will get Markelle right as long as Markelle buys in and does the work. There is no player on the Sixers that I am more looking forward to seeing play next year than Markelle. If he gets his shot right, he is going to be really, really good. I hope the Sixers do not trade him. Trade picks, trade Covington but do not trade Markelle. IMO Joel, Ben, Markelle and even Dario are guys I do NOT want to see traded.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,009

Post#800 » by Bum Adebayo » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:03 pm

76ciology wrote:I dont know if hanlen was really joking. But he said that he keeps telling Fultz that he honestly think Tatum was the best player in his draft class. I dont know if he's just saying it to fire it up.

Nevertheless, he said Fultz KIND OF have the yips and he FORGOT to shoot. Bizarre. But like I said, we wont know unless somebody can spend hundred of shots with a new mechanics for like 3 months and see how hard it is to revert to the old shooting mechanics

Not joking, he trained with Tatum and has seen what he can do, so him telling the plain truth to Fultz will motivate him more.
Great takes since 2024-04-20

Return to Philadelphia 76ers