ImageImageImage

Markelle Fultz Episode V: The Jumper Strikes Back

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,776

Re: Markelle Fultz Episode V: The Jumper Strikes Back 

Post#241 » by Skates » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:26 pm

The team's four cornerstones are all excellent passers, albeit with Jojo still learning when and when not to pass. Dario, Fultz, Embiid and Simmons are all incredible passers for their positions and the team and game are moving towards positionless basketball. Simmons can do what he does from any place on the court once he develops a reliable jumper out to 12-14 feet, Fultz needs to regain his jumper and will. Right now his best shots are coming instinctively, less so when he thinks about it.

If you want free agents to come here one of the biggest selling points is going to be a winning core that will pass you the ball. It isn't like coming to an Iverson led team where everyone else ahs to sacrifice their game to fit our star(s), quite the opposite, our stars can make the role players and each other better. That is priceless, and before even getting into the incredible size of the team and how that translates on D and the boards.
ivysixer2000
General Manager
And1: 2,033

Post#242 » by ivysixer2000 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:39 pm

Skates wrote:The team's four cornerstones are all excellent passers, albeit with Jojo still learning when and when not to pass. Dario, Fultz, Embiid and Simmons are all incredible passers for their positions and the team and game are moving towards positionless basketball. Simmons can do what he does from any place on the court once he develops a reliable jumper out to 12-14 feet, Fultz needs to regain his jumper and will. Right now his best shots are coming instinctively, less so when he thinks about it.

If you want free agents to come here one of the biggest selling points is going to be a winning core that will pass you the ball. It isn't like coming to an Iverson led team where everyone else ahs to sacrifice their game to fit our star(s), quite the opposite, our stars can make the role players and each other better. That is priceless, and before even getting into the incredible size of the team and how that translates on D and the boards.

The Sixers aren't a hard sell anymore with how much noise our role players were able to make last night. There are alot worse teams to go to than to a team that is going to feed you like Ben does our role players. If your a role player in this league, you want to play with a guy like Ben maybe only for one season cause it could massively increase your value ala Marco, Ersan, and for that matter JJ also.

We all know about Ben, but Fultz's passing ability is well underrated. I've seen on several occasions a pass inside to a player posting up that Fultz made which was better than anyone on the team, and that includes Ben. There were a couple of passes where Fultz hit Jojo really deep, almost before Jojo even knew it was coming.

Fultz has alot to improve, but I was happy to see him 3-4 from the line, hopefully that continues. I do agree with you, sometimes he thinks too much, but I do believe the pressure of the playoffs will get him through some of the fear with all the help around him. If he can perform well in the playoffs, next season will come alot easier for him.
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#243 » by Ericb5 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:10 pm

ivysixer2000 wrote:
Skates wrote:The team's four cornerstones are all excellent passers, albeit with Jojo still learning when and when not to pass. Dario, Fultz, Embiid and Simmons are all incredible passers for their positions and the team and game are moving towards positionless basketball. Simmons can do what he does from any place on the court once he develops a reliable jumper out to 12-14 feet, Fultz needs to regain his jumper and will. Right now his best shots are coming instinctively, less so when he thinks about it.

The Sixers aren't a hard sell anymore with how much noise our role players were able to make last night. There are alot worse teams to go to than to a team that is going to feed you like Ben does our role players. If your a role player in this league, you want to play with a guy like Ben maybe only for one season cause it could massively increase your value ala Marco, Ersan, and for that matter JJ also.

We all know about Ben, but Fultz's passing ability is well underrated. I've seen on several occasions a pass inside to a player posting up that Fultz made which was better than anyone on the team, and that includes Ben. There were a couple of passes where Fultz hit Jojo really deep, almost before Jojo even knew it was coming.

Fultz has alot to improve, but I was happy to see him 3-4 from the line, hopefully that continues. I do agree with you, sometimes he thinks too much, but I do believe the pressure of the playoffs will get him through some of the fear with all the help around him. If he can perform well in the playoffs, next season will come alot easier for him.

Fultz is a massive upgrade over TJ on offense and defense. That has made us a better team instantly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
snoopdogg88
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,111

Post#244 » by snoopdogg88 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:54 pm

Fultz is more of a pure point guard than I realized.
gdog2004
Starter
And1: 706

Post#245 » by gdog2004 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:18 pm

Agree on Fultz being a PG. The whole reason they drafted him was because he could play off ball next to Ben and it doesn't seem like he can do that, YET. The second unit has been awesome with him though, his great passing and good defense has really surprised me. I look at the Sixers right now just like the Eagles defensive line. Very little drop off when the second tier of guys comes in. Gone are the days where they cough up giant leads because Simmons and Embiid aren't in the game.
Unbreakable99
General Manager
And1: 3,993

Post#246 » by Unbreakable99 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:57 pm

Read on Twitter
Unbreakable99
General Manager

Post#247 » by Unbreakable99 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:00 pm

If Redick comes back I don’t want Fultz starting next season. I think he’s best for this team at least in the short term future is as a backup. I think Fultz playing backup to Ben and playing 20-25 minutes next year is ideal. As much as people don’t want to hear it he’s not a great match with Ben but he can really help us. I think he can be good enough to win 6th man next year. That should be his role.
Ericb5
RealGM

Post#248 » by Ericb5 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:01 pm

gdog2004 wrote:Agree on Fultz being a PG. The whole reason they drafted him was because he could play off ball next to Ben and it doesn't seem like he can do that, YET. The second unit has been awesome with him though, his great passing and good defense has really surprised me. I look at the Sixers right now just like the Eagles defensive line. Very little drop off when the second tier of guys comes in. Gone are the days where they cough up giant leads because Simmons and Embiid aren't in the game.

He is a better facilitator than I gave him credit for as well, but I still think he will be fine playing next to Simmons once his shot comes back completely.
USWAY
Sixth Man
And1: 1,140

Post#249 » by USWAY » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:05 pm

Unbreakable99 wrote:If Redick comes back I don’t want Fultz starting next season. I think he’s best for this team at least in the short term future is as a backup. I think Fultz playing backup to Ben and playing 20-25 minutes next year is ideal. As much as people don’t want to hear it he’s not a great match with Ben but he can really help us. I think he can be good enough to win 6th man next year. That should be his role.

It's becoming a very Harden-esque situation, but I'm hoping eventually we can get him in to the starting lineup when his perimeter shot gets to where it needs to be. To be honest, I see him being pretty damn nasty next year off the bench.
Unbreakable99
General Manager

Post#250 » by Unbreakable99 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:18 pm

USWAY wrote:
Unbreakable99 wrote:If Redick comes back I don’t want Fultz starting next season. I think he’s best for this team at least in the short term future is as a backup. I think Fultz playing backup to Ben and playing 20-25 minutes next year is ideal. As much as people don’t want to hear it he’s not a great match with Ben but he can really help us. I think he can be good enough to win 6th man next year. That should be his role.

It's becoming a very Harden-esque situation, but I'm hoping eventually we can get him in to the starting lineup when his perimeter shot gets to where it needs to be. To be honest, I see him being pretty damn nasty next year off the bench.

He has impressed me without his shot being back. I am hopeful he will be back to normal next season.
Unbreakable99
General Manager

Post#251 » by Unbreakable99 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:19 pm

Read on Twitter
eagereyez
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,462

Post#252 » by eagereyez » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:34 pm

It all depends on his jumper. His jumper will determine whether or not he is a long term piece with the Sixers. And we don't have any examples of a player losing their jumper the way Fultz did. All we can do is hope for the best.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,516

Post#253 » by 76ciology » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:40 pm

There will be days when our shooting will struggle, that’s the time when we need Fultz and Embiid’s iso scoring. Then we also play elite D on the other end.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,753

Post#254 » by Sixersftw » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:28 pm

eagereyez wrote:

It all depends on his jumper. His jumper will determine whether or not he is a long term piece with the Sixers. And we don't have any examples of a player losing their jumper the way Fultz did. All we can do is hope for the best.

Yep if the jumper is back then he is a starter with staggered minutes between him and Ben.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
cksdayoff
RealGM
And1: 3,636

Post#255 » by cksdayoff » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:54 pm

greatest asset fultz brings right now is his disciplined passing whch limits our turnovers. and that is a HUGE plus.
#failforfultz
Brauer
Bench Warmer
And1: 806

Post#256 » by Brauer » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:30 pm

Unbreakable99 wrote:
USWAY wrote:

He has impressed me without his shot being back. I am hopeful he will be back to normal next season.

Hearing this from you makes me happy.
ivysixer2000
General Manager
And1: 2,033

Post#257 » by ivysixer2000 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:45 pm

At this point and time, I really don't know what to expect from Fultz tonight.

His passing and D are far better than expected. Being able to run the point when Ben isn't in there has already been demonstrated, something we desperately needed cause it helps Ben to be able to rest and put full energy in for the mins he plays instead of having to play 45 mins like Bron is having to do presently.

I have to wonder what Fultz's level of aggressiveness will be in this next game. We have seen him in the past put up shots, yet he only put up 4 in our last game. Now the team was on fire so not much was needed from him, but I do wonder what will happen when he is required to put up double digit shot attempts. Its the playoffs, he will be put at the line alot, if that happens btw.

I do believe he was very nervous in his first game cause he was trying to make sure he didn't mess things up for the team, but eventually when we are cold and he is in the game, the ball is in his hands so it will fall to him. All we can do is wait and see what happens, but I do guarantee you one thing, he saw what some of the other rookies like Tatum and Mitchell did yesterday.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him more aggressive tonight.
Ericb5
RealGM

Post#258 » by Ericb5 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:23 pm

Sixersftw wrote:
eagereyez wrote:

Yep if the jumper is back then he is a starter with staggered minutes between him and Ben.

Yeah, let him run the team as the backup point guard, but then spend another 20 minutes playing with Ben where he is sometimes at the point, and letting Ben play the 4, and sometimes when he is at the 2.
Filthadelphia
Senior
And1: 751

Post#259 » by Filthadelphia » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:28 pm

cksdayoff wrote:greatest asset fultz brings right now is his disciplined passing whch limits our turnovers. and that is a HUGE plus.

And the fact that, unlike TJ, defenders respect his drives and collapse accordingly
AVATAR BET W RAPS FANS: Sixers beat Raps in 2018 playoffs
-binjumper
-And1+2
bball4life
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,263

Post#260 » by bball4life » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:34 pm

When Simmons and Fultz both come back next season with a jumper, God help the rest of the league.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers