RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Re: Markelle Fultz Episode V: The Jumper Strikes Back 

Post#281 » by LloydFree » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:15 pm

Unbreakable99 wrote:
jbent87 wrote:
Unbreakable99 wrote:
Because he didn’t play well enough to warrant more playing time last night.

isn't that a problem tho? This team was begging for someone to step up last night and instead of giving Fultz that chance it went to TJ.

Fultz had his chance in the first half. He didn't rise to the occasion. I wonder if he will fair better in a hostile environment in Miami. I don't think Brown should not be afraid to play him again though.

He seems to give him a longer leash at home.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
jbent87
Veteran
And1: 1,202

Post#282 » by jbent87 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:19 pm

rulebook wrote:
jbent87 wrote:
Unbreakable99 wrote:
Because he didn’t play well enough to warrant more playing time last night.

isn't that a problem tho? This team was begging for someone to step up last night and instead of giving Fultz that chance it went to TJ.

No, because you have to trust that Brown has a read on his players, and because you can't expect the 19-year-old with 12 games under his belt to be guy that steps up in the playoffs against highly physical and frenetic defense. In four minutes of play, I think it was pretty clear that Fultz was struggling with the environment (losing, facing immense pressure, shots not falling, etc.). Maybe he could have had TJ's minutes, but at the end of the day, it's largely irrelevant: neither Fultz nor TJ were going to be the guy that "stepped up" last night.

Let's try it again next game.

if your 1st OVR pick isn't capable of being the guy to step up and spark you to victory, then that is a problem. Like I said.
rulebook
Sophomore
And1: 69

Post#283 » by rulebook » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:28 pm

jbent87 wrote:
rulebook wrote:
jbent87 wrote:

No, because you have to trust that Brown has a read on his players, and because you can't expect the 19-year-old with 12 games under his belt to be guy that steps up in the playoffs against highly physical and frenetic defense. In four minutes of play, I think it was pretty clear that Fultz was struggling with the environment (losing, facing immense pressure, shots not falling, etc.). Maybe he could have had TJ's minutes, but at the end of the day, it's largely irrelevant: neither Fultz nor TJ were going to be the guy that "stepped up" last night.

if your 1st OVR pick isn't capable of being the guy to step up and spark you to victory, then that is a problem. Like I said.

I find that to be a misguided expectation. Typical rookies—even #1 picks—usually take years to develop to the point that they can "step up and spark you to victory" in the playoffs. Particularly players who have barely played. Never forget that players like Simmons and Tatum are outliers. I'd go easy in declaring Fultz "a problem" after 14 games.
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#284 » by Ericb5 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:30 pm

jbent87 wrote:
rulebook wrote:
jbent87 wrote:

You are saying that that first overall pick in his first 20 games should be able to sparking us to winning a playoff game, or it is a problem?
jbent87
Veteran

Post#285 » by jbent87 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:32 pm

rulebook wrote:
jbent87 wrote:
rulebook wrote:

I find that to be a misguided expectation. Typical rookies—even #1 picks—usually take years to develop to the point that they can "step up and spark you to victory" in the playoffs. Particularly players who have barely played. Never forget that players like Simmons and Tatum are outliers. I'd go easy in declaring Fultz "a problem" after 14 games.

it's a problem in the sense that the coach doesn't think to trust him in a situation like this IMO. He had no problem letting Fultz cut into TJs minutes in the 13 games to this point. That is until actual crunch time, as he showed last night. With the game on the line, he doesn't trust him. That's a step back in how good he has looked at times over the last few weeks.
Unbreakable99
General Manager
And1: 3,993

Post#286 » by Unbreakable99 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:45 pm

jbent87 wrote:
rulebook wrote:
jbent87 wrote:

it's a problem in the sense that the coach doesn't think to trust him in a situation like this IMO. He had no problem letting Fultz cut into TJs minutes in the 13 games to this point. That is until actual crunch time, as he showed last night. With the game on the line, he doesn't trust him. That's a step back in how good he has looked at times over the last few weeks.

I’m not Fultz’s biggest fan and everyone knows how I feel about what we have up for him but I think this is being a little unfair to him. Yes he was the number 1 overall pick but his shot isn’t even back yet. He can drive. He still can’t shoot outside 8 feet consistently. He hasn’t played 20 games and he’s put into the toughest environment in basketball in his entire life playing against grown men who are playing very physical. He’s 19 and can’t shoot. He can only drive.

Last night wasn’t his night. Like I said before that was a man’s game. I would think other rookies like Simmons Tatum Mitchell Kuzma can play a man’s game when things get tough and very physical. Fultz may not be ready yet. If he plays in Miami maybe he steps up this time but I would be a little more patient with Fultz considering he hasn’t even played 20 games yet and is still limited in where he can shoot. The Heat will be physical for the rest of the series. Every game will be played like game 2 so it won’t get easier. He just needs to man up.
Ericb5
RealGM

Post#287 » by Ericb5 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:59 pm

jbent87 wrote:
rulebook wrote:
jbent87 wrote:

What you call a problem I call par for the course.

It isn’t realistic to expect a 19 year old in his 17th game(or whatever it is) to be able to be a difference maker in a playoff game.

Yes he was the number 1 pick, but we need to be reasonable here. If he is unable to do this a next year, after a full healthy season, then you may have a point, but even then, it would be normal for players in that situation to be inconsistent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,621

Post#288 » by Mik317 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:00 pm

he had a bad night.. **** happens. will continue to happen for a bit. part of the process...no pun intended

move on to the next one
#NeverGonnaBeGood
nrok10307
Junior
And1: 189

Post#289 » by nrok10307 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:32 am

Ericb5 wrote:
jbent87 wrote:
rulebook wrote:

It isn’t realistic to expect a 19 year old in his 17th game(or whatever it is) to be able to be a difference maker in a playoff game.

Yes he was the number 1 pick, but we need to be reasonable here. If he is unable to do this a next year, after a full healthy season, then you may have a point, but even then, it would be normal for players in that situation to be inconsistent.

Last night Simmons was up to the challenge to play in a highly physical playoff game. Simmons also has 80+ NBA games under his belt logging 25+ mins every game. I strongly believe that the Simmons we saw in Nov/Dec would have played significantly worse in this game/environment. Remember the first Cavs game 11/27? --- that's when Jae Crowder decided to not give him acres of space and play up and physical with Simmons... he was 5/11 with 10 pts, 2 assts, 4 tovs, and -19 on the night.
jbent87
Veteran

Post#290 » by jbent87 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:32 pm

Ericb5 wrote:
jbent87 wrote:
rulebook wrote:

I feel ya. I was just a little disappointed that in this big moment he wasn't given the chance to step up. I'll adjust my wording re: this to reflect that better, going forward. I think the kid is going to be fine. But I selfishly want him to be fine, right now too.
Ericb5
RealGM

Post#291 » by Ericb5 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:38 pm

jbent87 wrote:
Ericb5 wrote:
jbent87 wrote:

I feel ya. I was just a little disappointed that in this big moment he wasn't given the chance to step up. I'll adjust my wording re: this to reflect that better, going forward. I think the kid is going to be fine. But I selfishly want him to be fine, right now too.

Me too. I think that he WILL turn into exactly what we need him to be. I think we need to give him the space to grow into that, and put this season behind him.

He has shown that he has the basic physicality, and skill level to do it.
Bum Adebayo
Head Coach
And1: 3,933

Post#292 » by Bum Adebayo » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:36 pm

nrok10307 wrote:
Ericb5 wrote:
jbent87 wrote:

Last night Simmons was up to the challenge to play in a highly physical playoff game. Simmons also has 80+ NBA games under his belt logging 25+ mins every game. I strongly believe that the Simmons we saw in Nov/Dec would have played significantly worse in this game/environment. Remember the first Cavs game 11/27? --- that's when Jae Crowder decided to not give him acres of space and play up and physical with Simmons... he was 5/11 with 10 pts, 2 assts, 4 tovs, and -19 on the night.

Simmons has generational genetics, he is very strong, he would have fared way better than fultz even if it was his 1st NBA game.
Horrible takes since 2016
gdog2004
Starter
And1: 706

Post#293 » by gdog2004 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:51 pm

CoreyGallagher wrote:
gdog2004 wrote:Fultz was awful this game. I think they were up 8 before he came in and the game was tied or close to it after he left.
He looked very much like a guy who has not played all year to me.

They were up by 6 when he went in and up by 5 when he came out. He had a bad stretch, but he certainly wasn't responsible for the game.

Ah, it seemed worse than that but yeah the game is not on him. But he didnt help either.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#294 » by LloydFree » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:32 pm

gdog2004 wrote:
CoreyGallagher wrote:
gdog2004 wrote:Fultz was awful this game. I think they were up 8 before he came in and the game was tied or close to it after he left.
He looked very much like a guy who has not played all year to me.

They were up by 6 when he went in and up by 5 when he came out. He had a bad stretch, but he certainly wasn't responsible for the game.

Ah, it seemed worse than that but yeah the game is not on him. But he didnt help either.

It seemed worse, because when they finally took him out, they immediately followed it up with that TJ McConnell at PG, Simmons at PF lineup and things got worse. It was only 7 minutes total, but that's over half of a quarter the 76ers couldn't score and the game momentum got away from them.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
gdog2004
Starter
And1: 706

Post#295 » by gdog2004 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:08 pm

LloydFree wrote:
gdog2004 wrote:
CoreyGallagher wrote:They were up by 6 when he went in and up by 5 when he came out. He had a bad stretch, but he certainly wasn't responsible for the game.

It seemed worse, because when they finally took him out, they immediately followed it up with that TJ McConnell at PG, Simmons at PF lineup and things got worse. It was only 7 minutes total, but that's over half of a quarter the 76ers couldn't score and the game momentum got away from them.

TJ has really been sh****g the bed the last few months. With Fultz emerging there is no way he is on this team next year.
ivysixer2000
General Manager
And1: 2,009

Post#296 » by ivysixer2000 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:14 pm

gdog2004 wrote:
LloydFree wrote:
gdog2004 wrote:Ah, it seemed worse than that but yeah the game is not on him. But he didnt help either.

TJ has really been sh****g the bed the last few months. With Fultz emerging there is no way he is on this team next year.

He's a 3rd string PG for this team, but he does have value. I see them picking up the option on TJ, then letting him walk after next season. Now if Bron came, I could see them cutting TJ cause they don't need another ball handler in TJ when you would have Ben, Fultz, and Bron.
nrok10307
Junior
And1: 189

Post#297 » by nrok10307 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:44 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:
nrok10307 wrote:
Ericb5 wrote:

Simmons has generational genetics, he is very strong, he would have fared way better than fultz even if it was his 1st NBA game.

Fair enough. Simmons is also 22 months older than Fultz. Age, experience, generational genetics - we should expect Simmons to have thrived then.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,345

Post#298 » by 76ciology » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:31 am

He could have been a big contributor if only he can make 3s and space the floor. Right now, he’s just tasked to not lose us the lead and buy Ben some time at the bench by not turning the ball over and playing great D.

My guess is he can be more effective if Ben can get a lead and give him some margin to play with. He can increase the pace and gamble on D to tire out Wade. But if the game is close, he’d be smart to just be conservative.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Chris76
Sixth Man
And1: 318

Post#299 » by Chris76 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:14 pm

76ciology wrote:He could have been a big contributor if only he can make 3s and space the floor. Right now, he’s just tasked to not lose us the lead and buy Ben some time at the bench by not turning the ball over and playing great D.

My guess is he can be more effective if Ben can get a lead and give him some margin to play with. He can increase the pace and gamble on D to tire out Wade. But if the game is close, he’d be smart to just be conservative.

It's disappointing that he is not taking 3s like he did before the injury. His shot was very good and difficult to defend.

I would like to see him play more with Ben, their defense could be elite.

Fultz
Bellinelli
Covington
Simmons
Ilyasova

Could be a good small ball lineup?
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,476

Post#300 » by HartfordWhalers » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:57 am

Fultz looked rough tonight. I'm not one to kick him when he's down, but tonight he struggled.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers