Markelle Fultz Episode V: The Jumper Strikes Back

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

KrazySixersD
General Manager
And1: 1,008

Re: Markelle Fultz Episode V: The Jumper Strikes Back 

Post#701 » by KrazySixersD » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:42 pm

Chris76 wrote:
KrazySixersD wrote:Ya...as muh as i am pissed at fultz for that head case of a season he pulled off.. dude is insanely talented 2 way player who is a better pure pg than simmons.. he gets to the paint AT WILL and creates open shots for others better than simmons. His mid range is vetter, his PnE is better and if he gets a 3 again its not even close. Simmons needs to be a point forward. This is why spurs would easily ask for fultz in return for kawhi and will hang up without him

Fultz/TJ
Redick/Lonnie Walker
Lebron/Covington
Simmons/Saric
Embiid/Pasecniks

Could be better than the 52 win team?

Kawhi would be great, but the cost could be to much.

That team is easily in the finals out of the east if fultz is just what we saw in hips return let alone better.. only issue there is backup center.. but that 2nd unit is extremely solid and an amazing startimg 5
+minushighness
Ballboy
And1: 10

Post#702 » by +minushighness » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:45 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:
+minushighness wrote:I wouldn’t trade Fultz at all. His value is so artificially depreciated at the moment. The kid can literally go anywhere he wants on the court and has a real creative style. He has the arsenal to lead the league in scoring one day, he just needs to get that shot back.

What? no he doesn't, let's not get carried away.

I don’t think I am getting carried away at all. When I watched Fultz play this season, I saw a 19 year old kid who could literally get to the rim anytime he wanted (despite the defense sagging off to contest him at the rim) and who was creative enough to contort his body in a variety of ways to get his shot off. Add some muscle to his frame, bring his shot back - something his shooting coach is very optimistic about, and you have a player capable of being scoring champ with the right amount of shots.
gdog2004
Starter
And1: 706

Post#703 » by gdog2004 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:46 pm

+minushighness wrote:
Bum Adebayo wrote:
+minushighness wrote:I wouldn’t trade Fultz at all. His value is so artificially depreciated at the moment. The kid can literally go anywhere he wants on the court and has a real creative style. He has the arsenal to lead the league in scoring one day, he just needs to get that shot back.

I don’t think I am getting carried away at all. When I watched Fultz play this season, I saw a 19 year old kid who could literally get to the rim anytime he wanted (despite the defense sagging off to contest him at the rim) and who was creative enough to contort his body in a variety of ways to get his shot off. Add some muscle to his frame, bring his shot back - something his shooting coach is very optimistic about, and you have a player capable of being scoring champ with the right amount of shots.

No question Fultz has a ton of talent. On talent alone he was the right choice. Which is why I continue to say it will all come down to his ability to manage the mental aspects of the game. He's either going to be great (here or elsewhere) or he's going to be a huge bust (relative to his draft position/hype). On paper he's awesome. Time will tell, but the talent is there.
deep6er
Pro Prospect
And1: 266

Post#704 » by deep6er » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:08 am

+minushighness wrote:
Bum Adebayo wrote:

You're definitely getting carried away. You're also misreading Fultz's skill set. If the shot clicks again (big if) he can be a really good scorer but the best thing about him is how diverse his game is. He won't be dogging it on defense so that he can put up Harden numbers. If Kawhi is healthy you trade Fultz for him in a heartbeat. If our wildest dreams come true then Fultz is a top 5 player in this league. Kawhi is already a top 5 player.

Have you all taken crazy pills? Is everyone's memory so short that all it takes is 1 year to forget how good someone is. Healthy Kawhi is the most complete player in the game besides Lebron. 2016/17 Kawhi was one of the best defenders in the league not just with blocks and steals but switches, knowing where he had to be when and he became an elite finisher and shooter. The one aspect of his game where Fultz can surpass him is passing, but Klaw is still a great passer and ridiculously clutch, so many end of the game shots. His ball handling is absurd for a guy his size too. I think it was Oladipo who he famously put on skates that year.

So go ahead, love Fultz, but keep some perspective. Kawhi (if healthy) is hall of fame level and doesn't need the ball to be effective. Everyone wants that on their team. Personally, I don't make the trade because I'm terrified after Bynum (and Brand... and Webber) but my post Bynum PTSD is just one of the many reasons why I couldn't be a decent gm.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,422

Post#705 » by 76ciology » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:19 am

deep6er wrote:
+minushighness wrote:
Bum Adebayo wrote:

You're definitely getting carried away. You're also misreading Fultz's skill set. If the shot clicks again (big if) he can be a really good scorer but the best thing about him is how diverse his game is. He won't be dogging it on defense so that he can put up Harden numbers. If Kawhi is healthy you trade Fultz for him in a heartbeat. If our wildest dreams come true then Fultz is a top 5 player in this league. Kawhi is already a top 5 player.

Have you all taken crazy pills? Is everyone's memory so short that all it takes is 1 year to forget how good someone is. Healthy Kawhi is the most complete player in the game besides Lebron. 2016/17 Kawhi was one of the best defenders in the league not just with blocks and steals but switches, knowing where he had to be when and he became an elite finisher and shooter. The one aspect of his game where Fultz can surpass him is passing, but Klaw is still a great passer and ridiculously clutch, so many end of the game shots. His ball handling is absurd for a guy his size too. I think it was Oladipo who he famously put on skates that year.

So go ahead, love Fultz, but keep some perspective. Kawhi (if healthy) is hall of fame level and doesn't need the ball to be effective. Everyone wants that on their team. Personally, I don't make the trade because I'm terrified after Bynum (and Brand... and Webber) but my post Bynum PTSD is just one of the many reasons why I couldn't be a decent gm.

Amen bro
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
eagereyez
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,462

Post#706 » by eagereyez » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:48 am

deep6er wrote:
+minushighness wrote:
Bum Adebayo wrote:

Yeah I wonder if some people have amnesia regarding Kawhi. I suppose it has been more than a year since he was crushing GSW in the playoffs before Zaza hit him with the Jalen Rose. A healthy Kawhi is a top 5 player in the NBA. The entire purpose of the process was to acquire superstars like him. If he is healthy then trading for him is a no brainer.
+minushighness
Ballboy
And1: 10

Post#707 » by +minushighness » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:58 am

deep6er wrote:
+minushighness wrote:
Bum Adebayo wrote:

Giving up one of Covington/Saric, Fultz, 10, and 26 is too much to trade in return for a Kawhi rental. I am especially paranoid of trading Fultz while his value is so diminished. It would kill me to see the kid realize his potential for the Spurs on a good contract and then lose Kawhi in the off season.

Also, every time a trade like this occurs for a superstar, they never commit to an extension and eventually become a distraction with all the contract drama as the season progresses. I would be more open to going all in if we were able to get Kawhi to commit to an extension, but I doubt his people would go for that.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,745

Post#708 » by Negrodamus » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:44 pm

Read on Twitter
KrazySixersD
General Manager
And1: 1,008

Post#709 » by KrazySixersD » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:50 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
Read on Twitter

I hope so, I am starting to change my mind on this trading stuff, if we can sign Lebron, great, if not sit tight, let Markelle have a shot at showing us he is who we thought, and if he is, all the sudden our star is brighter than ever again

If his shot can get back to mid to high 30's from 3, he can play the 2 spot, and play backup PG when simmons sits (even though I think fultz is a better pure PG than simmons) and allow us to bring JJ off the bench
hookshot199
Analyst
And1: 723

Post#710 » by hookshot199 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:10 pm

+minushighness wrote:
deep6er wrote:
+minushighness wrote:

Giving up one of Covington/Saric, Fultz, 10, and 26 is too much to trade in return for a Kawhi rental. I am especially paranoid of trading Fultz while his value is so diminished. It would kill me to see the kid realize his potential for the Spurs on a good contract and then lose Kawhi in the off season.

Also, every time a trade like this occurs for a superstar, they never commit to an extension and eventually become a distraction with all the contract drama as the season progresses. I would be more open to going all in if we were able to get Kawhi to commit to an extension, but I doubt his people would go for that.

Well said on all points. That's why we shouldn't trade or him.

Apropos to what's going on in Kawhi's head and the maneuvering in Tinsel Town with the Dodgers part-owner/Lakers team president needing to make a big score, we're beginning to get a sense of the packages of various teams:

* the Clippers: 12+Tobias Harris (expiring); the best the Clippers could offer would be 12+13+future pick. They could include their 2019 pick if they miss the playoffs. But even if they sign Kawhi, their roster is pretty thin and will be thinner if Jordan bolts. With or without Jordan, not likely to be a top team in the West.

* the Lakers: Kuzma or Ingram (not both and not Ball); the best the Lakers could offer would be Kuzma+Ingram+future pick. The Lakers own 25 on Thursday. If LeBron doesn't go to LA, Kawhi alone doesn't make them a contending team. With Kawhi and LeBron, are they a contending team? Wild card: Paul George. Interestingly, not many rumors have been circulating about him.

* Cleveland: 8; the best the Cavs can offer is 8+some mix of Zizic, Osman and Nance. If they finish better than 10th, they lose their 2019 pick to Atlanta. The Cavs can't make a serious offer.

* Boston: Brown+Rozier; the Celtics can add one or more of their future protected picks. The Celtics own 27 on Thursday.

* Sixers: ??????

Three interesting developments: Rudy Gay opted out of his 2018/2019 contract with the Spurs, meaning one of two expiring contracts (the other Danny Green) is now gone. Jamal Crawford also opted out; a possible one-year rental for us ancient as he may be? Woj reported that Chris Paul plans to stay with Houston and will lobby big time to recruit LeBron. I still don't see how Morey can make the numbers work without finding a third team to unload some combination of Anderson, Gordon, Tucker, Nene and/or Onuaku and send picks/prospects to Cleveland to help them make a sign-and-trade.

I hope we put all of our efforts into signing LeBron and making provisions to sign Paul George if we strike out. I don't know who Tom West is but he makes a strong case for George being a great fit.

https://www.libertyballers.com/2018/6/19/17462938/examining-how-seamlessly-paul-george-would-fit-with-sixers
elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,484

Post#711 » by elchengue20 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:11 pm

I know we all want LeBron . But if we only got Paul George still it would be HUGE for us. We are inmediate contenders.

He's a great fit , no doubt. If he wants to compete and win, i think the Sixers are the best for him.

Still, Lakers are not a bad choice either, so i think he's going to LA, and maybe LeBron is going with him too.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,081

Post#712 » by Kobblehead » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:24 pm

I wouldn't trade Fultz for Kawhi and I'm not even a huge Markelle fan. Kawhi demanded a trade to the Lakers. He has his mind made.
FireMorey
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,573

Post#713 » by FireMorey » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:31 pm

Kawhi didn't demand a trade to the Lakers, he asked for a trade and stated the Lakers are a preferred destination and that's if the reports are accurate. I'm always dubious of players wanting to go to LA since we hear it every year and it never happens. I stand by it being media driven.
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#714 » by Ericb5 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:53 pm

ProcessTrusta wrote:Kawhi didn't demand a trade to the Lakers, he asked for a trade and stated the Lakers are a preferred destination and that's if the reports are accurate. I'm always dubious of players wanting to go to LA since we hear it every year and it never happens. I stand by it being media driven.

It could be media driven, but you are right on what has been reported. He supposedly has a preference for LA, but it is only a preference.

Simmons probably had a preference for LA too when we won the lottery, but there is nothing wrong with Philly. I bet Philly is one of the teams that Kawhi would resign with, but that is just a guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gdog2004
Starter

Post#715 » by gdog2004 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:57 pm

If the Sixers could get Kawhi, and in turn Lebron, Fultz/Covington/number 10 pick will all be forgotten quickly.
Hell if Kawhi is KAWHI, those guys will be forgotten. My hope is we keep Fultz though, I really like his potential if he can get his shot back.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,183

Post#716 » by ProcessDoctor » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:02 am

Yea I’d take Fultz off the block for now. Dario, Cov, and 10 are on the table for a player like Kawhi.

Fultz still has two-way upside and potential to be an all-star upside.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Batum/Oubre/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,692

Post#717 » by rzzzzz » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:18 pm

deep6er wrote: Healthy Kawhi

yeah, that's the point. along with, if he is healthy, would he stay? if Brett is purty sure about both, then it could be a good gamble. but man, this franchise has seen its share of bad gambles.
gdog2004
Starter

Post#718 » by gdog2004 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:16 pm

rzzzzz wrote:
deep6er wrote: Healthy Kawhi

yeah, that's the point. along with, if he is healthy, would he stay? if Brett is purty sure about both, then it could be a good gamble. but man, this franchise has seen its share of bad gambles.

I would not take that chance. Paul George seems like a good dude and all and he will probably walk from OKC.
Ray76ers
Ballboy
And1: 7

Post#719 » by Ray76ers » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:53 pm

ProcessTrusta wrote:Kawhi didn't demand a trade to the Lakers, he asked for a trade and stated the Lakers are a preferred destination and that's if the reports are accurate. I'm always dubious of players wanting to go to LA since we hear it every year and it never happens. I stand by it being media driven.

Pop will trade him to some crap team in the Eastern Conference just to get his pound of Flesh. There is no way in hell he's trading him to a Western Conference team.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,745

Post#720 » by Negrodamus » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:53 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Philadelphia 76ers