ImageImageImage

Sixers 2018 Cap Thread

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Mrcrockpots
Junior
And1: 172

Re: Sixers 2018 Cap Thread 

Post#21 » by Mrcrockpots » Fri Jun 8, 2018 3:00 pm

So are we to assume that Brett Brown is now responsible for trading Bayless and getting out of that contract? Trading Bayless is among others on the top of the offseason priority checklist.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#22 » by BullyKing » Fri Jun 8, 2018 3:04 pm

Mrcrockpots wrote:So are we to assume that Brett Brown is now responsible for trading Bayless and getting out of that contract? Trading Bayless is among others on the top of the offseason priority checklist.

I would assume it would be Eversley and/or Cohen negotiated with other teams and then probably bringing potential deals to Brett to weigh in.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
Mrcrockpots
Junior

Post#23 » by Mrcrockpots » Fri Jun 8, 2018 3:15 pm

BullyKing wrote:
Mrcrockpots wrote:So are we to assume that Brett Brown is now responsible for trading Bayless and getting out of that contract? Trading Bayless is among others on the top of the offseason priority checklist.

I would assume it would be Eversley and/or Cohen negotiated with other teams and then probably bringing potential deals to Brett to weigh in.

That seems to make the most sense. Brett will simply give the green light. Love his mind, but the thought of Brett negotiating with other GMs makes me a little nervous.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers

Post#24 » by BullyKing » Fri Jun 8, 2018 3:17 pm

Mrcrockpots wrote:
BullyKing wrote:

That seems to make the most sense. Brett will simply give the green light. Love his mind, but the thought of Brett negotiating with other GMs makes me a little nervous.

Dumping Bayless is also a relatively straightforward thing. If the team decides they feel the need to move him before the draft, then it's just a matter of calling all of the team's with space and seeing who will take the weakest pick return.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
Mrcrockpots
Junior

Post#25 » by Mrcrockpots » Fri Jun 8, 2018 3:28 pm

BullyKing wrote:
Mrcrockpots wrote:
BullyKing wrote:

Dumping Bayless is also a relatively straightforward thing. If the team decides they feel the need to move him before the draft, then it's just a matter of calling all of the team's with space and seeing who will take the weakest pick return.

Fingers crossed dumping Bayless and a pick is as easy as you think. I'd be 100% fine with trading the 26th pick with Bayless if it comes down to it.
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#26 » by Ericb5 » Fri Jun 8, 2018 7:51 pm

Mrcrockpots wrote:
BullyKing wrote:
Mrcrockpots wrote:

Fingers crossed dumping Bayless and a pick is as easy as you think. I'd be 100% fine with trading the 26th pick with Bayless if it comes down to it.

Hinkie would have taken Bayless for 2 second rounders in a heartbeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hookshot199
Analyst
And1: 723

Post#27 » by hookshot199 » Sat Jun 9, 2018 10:13 am

Ericb5 wrote:
Mrcrockpots wrote:
BullyKing wrote:

There are eight or nine teams that appear to have cap space to take him. But as the OP said, I would
move him and 26 ONLY if they have a firm commitment from LeBron.

If not, Paul George might make more sense, in which case I believe they could get by with stretching
Bayless's buyout and trading, say, Anderson.

Anyway, the OP has done a thorough analysis of both 30% and 35% options.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers

Post#28 » by BullyKing » Sat Jun 9, 2018 2:29 pm

Is there an option to operate over the cap that we haven't discussed much? I was reading the Windhorst article on LeBron and he made some interested points on why an opt-in and trade makes sense for LeBron. Namely, that it would allow his no-trade clause to carry over and his option amount and max amount are pretty much identical.

So could we renounce everyone but Redick, which would leave us a few million over the cap and then resign Redick to the full mid-level exception starting at $8.5 million. This would drop Redick's cap hit from 23 million to 8.5 million. LeBron then opts in and then we trade Bayless, a 1st, and some change for LeBron?

We'd also then have the bi-annual exception to sign a backup center.
NYSixersFan wrote:
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,532

Post#29 » by HartfordWhalers » Sat Jun 9, 2018 7:25 pm

BullyKing wrote:Is there an option to operate over the cap that we haven't discussed much? I was reading the Windhorst article on LeBron and he made some interested points on why an opt-in and trade makes sense for LeBron. Namely, that it would allow his no-trade clause to carry over and his option amount and max amount are pretty much identical.

So could we renounce everyone but Redick, which would leave us a few million over the cap and then resign Redick to the full mid-level exception starting at $8.5 million. This would drop Redick's cap hit from 23 million to 8.5 million. LeBron then opts in and then we trade Bayless, a 1st, and some change for LeBron?

Philly is either using matching rules or cap space to take in Lebron in a trade.

If they trade 10m for 35m, they need to use 25m of raw cap space and be an under the cap team (no full MLE).

If they want the full mle, they need to trade a touch over 28m for Lebron.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers

Post#30 » by BullyKing » Sat Jun 9, 2018 7:28 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
BullyKing wrote:Is there an option to operate over the cap that we haven't discussed much? I was reading the Windhorst article on LeBron and he made some interested points on why an opt-in and trade makes sense for LeBron. Namely, that it would allow his no-trade clause to carry over and his option amount and max amount are pretty much identical.

Philly is either using matching rules or cap space to take in Lebron in a trade.

If they trade 10m for 35m, they need to use 25m of raw cap space and be an under the cap team (no full MLE).

Saying something incorrect about the cap is basically my bat signal to you.
NYSixersFan wrote:
kriss73
Analyst
And1: 1,811

Post#31 » by kriss73 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:36 am

I don't remember...are draft day trades finalized with this year cap space or with next year cap space?

The League years starts on July 1st, right?
Adam Silver wrote:"Gross incompetence is acceptable; strategic gaming of a flawed system is not."
hookshot199
Analyst

Post#32 » by hookshot199 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:17 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:

Another factor is at play. As HartfordWhalers has presented, we have a near-clear path to signing LeBron to the max (35% or $35 mil) not counting any upward adjustments in the cap come July 1. Of course, we'd have to find a way to move Bayless for #26 or whatever.

The flip side of that: Only the Lakers have a clear path to sign him without any cap manipulations.

So basically, the Sixers and Lakers have the clearest path to signing him and, in the Lakers case, also Paul George. We're probably a year ahead of the Lakers in our team development. And considering that LeBron will turn 34 during the 2018/2019 season, every year counts.

In light of the Kevin Love trade disclosure, I believe Houston is out of the running and Boston perhaps is in. At least they're sure talking it up on The Gresh Show here in Rhode Island

I feel that Smitty, the CBA & Business forum moderator, made a pretty strong case that it would be difficult (he said "difficult cap gymnastics") to bring LeBron to Houston.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1709761

If Dan Gilbert decides to go into a full tank, which the Love disclosure would indicate, there is almost no motive for him to cooperate with Houston to facilitate a trade even if he and LeBron have a kumaya moment.

And here's why: Cleveland traded its 2019 or 2020 first-round pick to Atlanta in the Korver trade. The picks are top-10 protected. Cleveland will lose the pick next June if it finishes 11 or higher. The pick converts into two second rounders if not conveyed in 2019 or 2020.

There is ZERO incentive for the Cavs to take back anything that will put a bottom-10 finish in jeopardy.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/cavaliers/2017/01/07/cleveland-cavaliers-kyle-korver-atlanta-hawks-trade/96246082/

Secondly, Houston "fans" are essentially offering a future Houston pick which, if conveyed next June, would be a 28-30 pick. Some of them are talking about ways to bring Gordon or Tucker into the trade since the Anderson contract is toxic, but that's a stretch or, to quote Smitty, "difficult…cap gymnastics."

But more than saving their 2019 and 2020 picks, the Cavs have a chance to get two top-five and perhaps two number one picks - using the new lottery odds, of course - by being one of the bottom-five teams in the league.

This is basically the choice they're facing - short of any Hail Mary moves by Daryl Morey involving a third team other than the Cavs.

From NBADraft.net, its 2019 mock draft.

The Cavs' picks (if a bottom-five team)

1. RJ Barrett 6-6 210 SG Duke HSSr.
2. Nassir Little 6-6 215 SF North Carolina HSSr.
3. Sekou Doumbouya 6-9 230 SF/PF France Intl.
4. Zion Williamson 6-6 260 PF Duke HSSr.
5. Nazreon Reid 6-10 250 C LSU HSSr.

Houston's picks (if LeBron goes to Houston)
28. Kenny Wooten 6-9 220 PF Oregon Fr.
29. Keldon Johnson 6-6 215 SG Kentucky HSSr.
30. Isaac Bonga 6-9 200 SF/PF Germany Intl.

We can get into Adam Silver's ethics and double-standard, but he played his Colangelo card with the Sixers. If Dan Gilbert decides to go into a full tank and buy out his three worst contracts at 90 cents to the dollar (Thompson, Clarkson and JR) and sign the next generation of Robert Covingtons and TJ McConnells (and give them playing time), I don't think there's much Silver can do to block him.

And the Cavs will protect their 2019 or 2020 pick, which they could otherwise lose and perhaps have a shot at RJ Barrett, if he's regarded as the best.
Winejk
Bench Warmer
And1: 432

Post#33 » by Winejk » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:24 am

hookshot199 wrote:
Ericb5 wrote:
Mrcrockpots wrote:

There are eight or nine teams that appear to have cap space to take him. But as the OP said, I would

If not, Paul George might make more sense, in which case I believe they could get by with stretching

And how do propose to do that? The draft is before free agency. On top of it all, in his previous free agent decisions Lebron took around 10 days after the opening of free agency to make his decision.
hookshot199
Analyst

Post#34 » by hookshot199 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:48 am

Winejk wrote:
hookshot199 wrote:
Ericb5 wrote:

And how do propose to do that? The draft is before free agency. On top of it all, in his previous free agent decisions Lebron took around 10 days after the opening of free agency to make his decision.

What I would do - and I don't claim to have any inside knowledge of how this is done and who knows who, etc. - would be to contact the Hawks front office; after all, Lloyd Pierce, the Hawks new coach was the Sixers assistant coach until May - and find out who's on the Hawks' wish list for that pick and make a provisional deal. If the LeBron signing falls through, prearrange to sell them one of our second-round picks.

I believe HartfordWhalers addressed this issue. In his case: Just make the pick and offer it and/or one of our other young assets picked in the 20s range last year or the year before.

Again, there are eight or nine teams that can take Bayless's contract without sending anything back.

It's not perfect, but it's a Colangelo legacy.

But if you compare it to what Houston and San Antonio have to offer Cleveland or a third team, it's workable. Their proposals aren't.

And once Dan Gilbert realizes that he's in a stronger position to win the lottery and at the very least finish in the bottom five in 2019 and 2020, there is virtually no incentive to take anything back from Houston or San Antonio that might help him win games in the next two seasons. Assuming LeBron opts out, Gilbert will be in Evan Turner/Spencer Hawes territory.

Moreover, the Cavs traded away their 2019 pick to the Hawks for Korver - but it's top-10 protected in both 2019 and 2020. Meaning: they can lose it all together. It's pretty much like our Orlando pick at the beginning of the Hinkie era.

Without going back and reviewing Hartford's analysis, I believe we can offer LeBron around $30 mil without any roster changes merely by stretching Bayless. The Lakers can offer him the full $35 mil without doing anything. The Rockets and now Spurs (who weren't part of Smitty's analysis a week ago) have to go through (I quote) "difficult…cap gymnastics." The Celtics would have to find a home for Hayward, Horford or Kyrie, two of whom are coming off major surgery.

If we on the board can figure that the Rockets, Spurs and Celtics have virtually no path to signing LeBron, you can believe that LeBron Inc. can figure that out. Coupled with the fact that virtually no package offered Gilbert in an S&T with Houston or San Antonio can assure them of a bottom-five finish.
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,116

Post#35 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:17 pm

Mrcrockpots wrote:
BullyKing wrote:
Mrcrockpots wrote:

I use http://www.shamsports.com/capulator as my cap site and absolutely love it...

Before Trade- 76ers renounce everyone available. Cap Room sits at $22,513,263

Proposed Trade- Magic Trade Shelvin Mack for Jerryd Bayless and 26th pick. Mack is only owed 1M of his 6M so he is waived right away, the 26th pick has a hold of ($1,765,440M) for 18-19 season.

76ers are left with $31,023,307 in cap space clearing an extra 8-9 M which could be used come FA time. That could be improved with the Team Options for Holmes and McConnell which if declined will bring the Cap up by another 3.3M so total would come in around $34,641,155

Is this something that would interest 76ers? Ya'll really only take 1M of a Cap hit while Magic take Bayless but get 26th pick. Just a thought as ya'll chase Lebron... and I think Philly will be the perfect place for him with the young talent you have for years to come.
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
septahex
Pro Prospect
And1: 341

Post#36 » by septahex » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:05 pm

No, dallas, lakers, phoenix, chicago, atlanta, sacramento can all take on salary dumps. Bayless can be moved for less than 26 and can be moved with no salary coming back.
Mrcrockpots
Junior

Post#37 » by Mrcrockpots » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:51 pm

MartinsIzAfraud wrote:
Mrcrockpots wrote:
BullyKing wrote:

I use http://www.shamsports.com/capulator as my cap site and absolutely love it...

Proposed Trade- Magic Trade Shelvin Mack for Jerryd Bayless and 26th pick. Mack is only owed 1M of his 6M so he is waived right away, the 26th pick has a hold of ($1,765,440M) for 18-19 season.

76ers are left with $31,023,307 in cap space clearing an extra 8-9 M which could be used come FA time. That could be improved with the Team Options for Holmes and McConnell which if declined will bring the Cap up by another 3.3M so total would come in around $34,641,155

Is this something that would interest 76ers? Ya'll really only take 1M of a Cap hit while Magic take Bayless but get 26th pick. Just a thought as ya'll chase Lebron... and I think Philly will be the perfect place for him with the young talent you have for years to come.

I'd do it. In my world, pick 26 is already gone. Whether it is to trade up/back or to get rid of Bayless. So be it.
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,116

Post#38 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:20 pm

Mrcrockpots wrote:
MartinsIzAfraud wrote:
Mrcrockpots wrote:

I'd do it. In my world, pick 26 is already gone. Whether it is to trade up/back or to get rid of Bayless. So be it.

sadly the new CBA kills this deal... Under the current CBA, only the guaranteed portion of a player’s contract counts for outgoing salary purposes in a trade, limiting the appeal of non-guaranteed salaries as trade chips.

So Mack 's value is something like 1.3ish M and therefore won't work. Damn you NBA for ruining hope.
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
hookshot199
Analyst

Post#39 » by hookshot199 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:06 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:Figured I would post a thread with the cap numbers. We circle around this a lot in the other threads, so if people have questions they can look here for quick reference or if it isn't referenced yet post a question.

I've just completed a preliminary review of your numbers. I don't believe there's any realistic way
for the Sixers to trade for Kawhi and still give LeBron his $35.4 mil payday IF: we Embiid, Simmons
and Fultz are untouchable.

To trade for Kawhi (factoring in his 15% trade kicker), we must offer a minimum of $17.3 mil.

Covington+Bayless=$19.1 mil, so would work. But we'd have to give something to take on Bayless's
contract and something of value in addition.

Untouchable:
Joel Embiid $ 25,250,000
Markelle Fultz $ 8,339,880
Ben Simmons $ 6,434,520

Everything that's left:

Dario Saric $ 2,526,840
Justin Anderson 2,516,048
Furkan Korkmaz $ 1,740,000
Timothe Luwawu $ 1,544,951

Team options and unguaranteed:
T.J. McConnell $ 1,600,520 (team option officially picked up)
Richaun Holmes $ 1,600,520 (team option officially picked up)

Draft pick cap holds:
#10 $3,522,480
#26 $ 1,689,000
Anzejs Pasecniks (25 in 2017) $1,746,840

Cap room from all picks and all players (13 players including Kawhi less RoCo and Bayless):
$23,893,623+$1,800,000=26.9 mil (my estimate)

We'd have to give away almost everything to sign LeBron - and that means take nothing back.

And if we sign LeBron first (meaning, probably, trading away Bayless and the 26 pick), we
probably won't have enough to offer for Kawhi: RoCo+10 only gets us only to $14 mil. We
need to send back $17.3 mil.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's virtually impossible to do both - sign LeBron (probably also
George) and trade for Leonard. I also assume it has to be a two-step process.
cool93
Analyst
And1: 1,992

Post#40 » by cool93 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:03 pm

hookshot199 wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:Figured I would post a thread with the cap numbers. We circle around this a lot in the other threads, so if people have questions they can look here for quick reference or if it isn't referenced yet post a question.

I've just completed a preliminary review of your numbers. I don't believe there's any realistic way
for the Sixers to trade for Kawhi and still give LeBron his $35.4 mil payday IF: we Embiid, Simmons
and Fultz are untouchable.

To trade for Kawhi (factoring in his 15% trade kicker), we must offer a minimum of $17.3 mil.

Covington+Bayless=$19.1 mil, so would work. But we'd have to give something to take on Bayless's
contract and something of value in addition.

Untouchable:
Joel Embiid $ 25,250,000
Markelle Fultz $ 8,339,880
Ben Simmons $ 6,434,520

Everything that's left:

Dario Saric $ 2,526,840
Justin Anderson 2,516,048
Furkan Korkmaz $ 1,740,000
Timothe Luwawu $ 1,544,951

Team options and unguaranteed:
T.J. McConnell $ 1,600,520 (team option officially picked up)
Richaun Holmes $ 1,600,520 (team option officially picked up)

Draft pick cap holds:
#10 $3,522,480
#26 $ 1,689,000
Anzejs Pasecniks (25 in 2017) $1,746,840

Cap room from all picks and all players (13 players including Kawhi less RoCo and Bayless):
$23,893,623+$1,800,000=26.9 mil (my estimate)

We'd have to give away almost everything to sign LeBron - and that means take nothing back.

And if we sign LeBron first (meaning, probably, trading away Bayless and the 26 pick), we
probably won't have enough to offer for Kawhi: RoCo+10 only gets us only to $14 mil. We
need to send back $17.3 mil.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's virtually impossible to do both - sign LeBron (probably also
George) and trade for Leonard. I also assume it has to be a two-step process.

If we are able to get Kawhi and LeBron, than Fultz is not untouchable. Even if he didn't have such a huge question mark, you still have to do everything to have a core of Embiid, Simmons, Kawhi and LeBron. Thats AT LEAST 1 championship. And I don't want to hear about build for long term BS, when you can have 4 superstars(including best player in basketball) on your team you do it. Period.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers