Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

MambaJuice
Junior
And1: 194

Re: Draft day open thread 2018 version 

Post#1601 » by MambaJuice » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:26 pm

MkPhilly wrote:
BullyKing wrote:
MkPhilly wrote:Everything is 'if' in the Sixers situation. If Simmons develops jump shot, if Fultz gets his old shooting form back, if Smith develops handles and shoot, if TLC can become consistent shooter and defender, if Korkmaz can shoot and build muscle...

How much time for all this, 3 years, 5 years? Boston's picks are ready to contribute in their first or second year at the highest level in the playoffs.

It would be fun and games with Smith and his dunks until the real competition starts in the playoffs.

You're right, they should have focused on only drafting fully complete players without holes in their game that do not require any development.

You're making false dilemma, it's not like Smith has some tremendous room for growth compared to Mikal or Hutchison. Mikal or Hutchison have the same potential, plus they're much better fit in our team and they're NBA ready.

Celtics will beat the Sixers much worse this season, and some things would become much more clear after that...

Cancel the season guys. Apparently we're going to lose to the Celtics. We're done making moves and it's over before it's even started. See everyone in Summer 2019.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,862

Post#1602 » by Stanford » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:26 pm

We certainly didn't draft for charisma.
hookshot199
Analyst
And1: 723

Post#1603 » by hookshot199 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:29 pm

MkPhilly wrote:
BullyKing wrote:
MkPhilly wrote:Everything is 'if' in the Sixers situation. If Simmons develops jump shot, if Fultz gets his old shooting form back, if Smith develops handles and shoot, if TLC can become consistent shooter and defender, if Korkmaz can shoot and build muscle...

How much time for all this, 3 years, 5 years? Boston's picks are ready to contribute in their first or second year at the highest level in the playoffs.

It would be fun and games with Smith and his dunks until the real competition starts in the playoffs.

You're right, they should have focused on only drafting fully complete players without holes in their game that do not require any development.

You're making false dilemma, it's not like Smith has some tremendous room for growth compared to Mikal or Hutchison. Mikal or Hutchison have the same potential, plus they're much better fit in our team and they're NBA ready.

Celtics will beat the Sixers much worse this season, and some things would become much more clear after that...

Are you saying it was a bad trade? I don't believe it's ever wise to trade to match up to a particular team's roster. But Boston clearly exposed us at 1 through 3. If Zhaire Smith's athleticism reaches the hype, we've made a big defensive addition for next year and the year after when, ostensibly, Kyrie and Hayward will be back playing 1 and 2 with Jaylen Brown. And then to get a future unprotected pick on an aging team is a bonus.

I was all in for Bridges and believe his ceiling was higher than many critics - and there weren't many.

To be honest, I was worried Brown would do something Colangelo-like - trading assets to move up into the draft. Instead, his moves were more Hinkie-like. I give him high marks except for the 26 pick. Then again, I believe that pick wasn't his - but whoever will take Bayless off our hands in the event LeBron chooses Philly.
BigSleep333
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,632

Post#1604 » by BigSleep333 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:30 pm

Stanford wrote:We certainly didn't draft for charisma.

embiid has enough charisma for the whole league
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,862

Post#1605 » by Stanford » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:32 pm

BigSleep333 wrote:
Stanford wrote:We certainly didn't draft for charisma.

embiid has enough charisma for the whole league

Good point.
septahex
Pro Prospect
And1: 341

Post#1606 » by septahex » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:34 pm

LloydFree wrote:
septahex wrote:Would you trade Covington for the rights to mikal bridges straight up? I would.

No. I'll take bets from anybody that Mikal Bridges won't be close to an All-NBA defender during the length of his rookie contract or Covington's contract. All this angst over a guy that was a college role player and likely maxes out as a 2nd division starting SF in the league. SMDH

Mikal has better offensive tools which offset Covington's defense.
XDevilBoiX
Head Coach
And1: 2,481

Post#1607 » by XDevilBoiX » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:35 pm

LloydFree wrote:It find it hilarious that Brett Brown went out to Los Angeles to check on Markelle Fultz's progress, two days before the draft, then came back and drafted nothing but 6'5 guards who shoot 45% from 3 point range. LOL.

We do need scoring off the bench somehow, no one on the bench can shoot or play defense. Hopefully these kids can play somewhat better defense then JJ and Marco.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,721

Post#1608 » by the_process » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:36 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
LloydFree wrote:It find it hilarious that Brett Brown went out to Los Angeles to check on Markelle Fultz's progress, two days before the draft, then came back and drafted nothing but 6'5 guards who shoot 45% from 3 point range. LOL.

That's not all he was doing...

Read on Twitter

I think it’s funny that John Clark thinks Brett is talking about LeBron when he’s probably talking about Kawhi.
cappuccino
Freshman
And1: 24

Post#1609 » by cappuccino » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:38 pm

just think this draft is a signal of Simmo moving to point foward... hopefully
FireMorey
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,601

Post#1610 » by FireMorey » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:15 pm

This draft reminded me so much of 2013. I loved the philosophy behind the moves they made, just disagreed with the selections. I was a McLemore and McCollum guy in 2013 and didn’t like Noel or MCW. But I loved the idea of the Holiday trade just like I like the idea of the Bridges trade. Let’s hope Smith becomes better than Noel or MCW.
Jams60
Sophomore
And1: 64

Post#1611 » by Jams60 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:46 pm

cappuccino wrote:just think this draft is a signal of Simmo moving to point foward... hopefully

A record breaking ROY campaign, with stats that puts him amongst the best players (not just rookies), in his first year playing as a point guard. I think Brown might want to give him another go, just to see if he gets better.
Chris76
Sixth Man
And1: 318

Post#1612 » by Chris76 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:02 pm

Jams60 wrote:
cappuccino wrote:just think this draft is a signal of Simmo moving to point foward... hopefully

A record breaking ROY campaign, with stats that puts him amongst the best players (not just rookies), in his first year playing as a point guard. I think Brown might want to give him another go, just to see if he gets better.

Ben could guard quick Pgs, but we should have Fultz, TJ, or Zhaire guarding them. Nothing wrong with having a few playmakers with Ben. Ben should get more pts and rbds being closer to the basket.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,106

Post#1613 » by Kobblehead » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:04 pm

So all of Brett's draft picks had a 60% true shooting. Obviously a point of emphasis for him to target high IQ, efficient players.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#1614 » by LloydFree » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:20 pm

Kobblehead wrote:So all of Brett's draft picks had a 60% true shooting. Obviously a point of emphasis for him to target high IQ, efficient players.

Picked all guards that can theoretically play alongside Simmons and not necessarily just back him up.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,807

Post#1615 » by Mik317 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:45 pm

some of the leaps of logic yall take are fascinating as hell.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#1616 » by Sixerscan » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:30 am

Mik317 wrote:some of the leaps of logic yall take are fascinating as hell.

fan fiction is fun.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#1617 » by Sixerscan » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:32 am

LloydFree wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:So all of Brett's draft picks had a 60% true shooting. Obviously a point of emphasis for him to target high IQ, efficient players.

Picked all guards that can theoretically play alongside Simmons and not necessarily just back him up.

On a similar note, I am interested to see if he takes the same approach with Embiid's backup. Do they go for someone like Amir again that can more or less hold down the fort on defense when Embiid is out but can't play with him, or do they go with someone that can also play with the big guy.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#1618 » by LloydFree » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:58 am

So the 76ers have 7 guards under contract for 6 spots, and that doesn't even include JJ Redick or Shake Milton. They only have only have 4 Forwards (if you count TLC as a Forward) and 2 Centers. All of the trades being proposed seem to contain Forwards being moved. Based on the depth chart, and the people's under contract, it would seem that it's more likely a Guard or two are traded for a Forward.

Depth Chart
Simmons - McConnell --- Shamet
Fultz --------- Bayless ------- Zhaire -- Korkmaz
Covington - J Anderson - TLC
Saric
Embiid------- Holmes
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,106

Post#1619 » by Kobblehead » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:08 am

If Brett was making that pick at #3 last year, I wonder if Jonathan Isaac would have been the pick.
OleSchool
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,344

Post#1620 » by OleSchool » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:15 am

Kobblehead wrote:If Brett was making that pick at #3 last year, I wonder if Jonathan Isaac would have been the pick.

Someone here (I forget maybe LLH?) said if they stayed at 3 they were takin Tatum
NYSixersFan wrote:quite simply, If I were GM, We would have a good young playoff team right now; with cap flexibility going forward

NYSixersFan wrote:I'D BE more then happy to debate you or anyone else on specifics

NYSixersFan wrote:How can I give you specifics? I'm not talking to other GM's

Return to Philadelphia 76ers