ImageImageImage

Welcome Zhaire Smith

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, sixers hoops, CoreyGallagher, Sixerscan, Foshan, BullyKing

Kobblehead
RealGM
Posts: 26,231
And1: 11,187
Joined: Apr 15, 2010
 

Re: Welcome Zhaire Smith 

Post#1081 » by Kobblehead » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:34 am

If you're not going to play Zhaire this year to stop scoring Gs in the postseason, then why the hell did you even draft him in the first place?
SixthStreet
Junior
Posts: 314
And1: 150
Joined: May 31, 2018
       

Re: Welcome Zhaire Smith 

Post#1082 » by SixthStreet » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:23 am

Depends who else he's on the floor with. If teams see someone else on the floor to attack via screens and switches (Redick, Harris, McConnell), Smith's defensive impact can be neutralized and he's a negative on offense.
User avatar
NoDopeOnSundays
Veteran
Posts: 2,883
And1: 3,690
Joined: Nov 22, 2005
         

Re: Welcome Zhaire Smith 

Post#1083 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:56 am

SixthStreet wrote:Depends who else he's on the floor with. If teams see someone else on the floor to attack via screens and switches (Redick, Harris, McConnell), Smith's defensive impact can be neutralized and he's a negative on offense.



Eh, Marcus Smart is a negative on offense a lot of the time, yet his defense and just having the ability to attack a close out keeps him on the floor. If Zhaire is the best defensive option to defend guards he should play, regardless of him being a rookie or not the alternatives aren't that great.
User avatar
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
Posts: 9,629
And1: 1,217
Joined: Jan 10, 2009

Re: Welcome Zhaire Smith 

Post#1084 » by Foshan » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:27 am

Kobblehead wrote:If you're not going to play Zhaire this year to stop scoring Gs in the postseason, then why the hell did you even draft him in the first place?

While I’m definitely in the ‘play him’ camp, pretty sure him missing the whole season has changed his development curve since draft day. ;)
Kobblehead
RealGM
Posts: 26,231
And1: 11,187
Joined: Apr 15, 2010
 

Re: Welcome Zhaire Smith 

Post#1085 » by Kobblehead » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:57 am

Sure, but it's not like he was a well-rounded prospect that you'd want to see progress points on multiple areas of his game before you felt comfortable playing him. He was a 1-tool, defensive player. So use him to do that one thing he's really gifted at naturally.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 43,528
And1: 8,519
Joined: Feb 07, 2005
Location: Parts Unknown
   

Re: Welcome Zhaire Smith 

Post#1086 » by Stanford » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:02 pm

I'm also convinced he should have a role in the postseason. The fact that he shoots threes with no hesitation makes it an easy decision for me.
Image
ProcessDoctor
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,877
And1: 1,797
Joined: Jul 02, 2006
   

Re: Welcome Zhaire Smith 

Post#1087 » by ProcessDoctor » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:19 pm

I hope he takes all of TJ's minutes. Have Ben or Jimmy at PG at all times.
2019-2020 Philadelphia 76ers:

Simmons/Neto/Milton
Richardson/Ennis/Smith
Harris/Korver/Thybulle
Horford/Scott/Bolden
Embiid/O’Quinn
kuclas
Veteran
Posts: 2,694
And1: 1,092
Joined: Nov 08, 2016
     

Re: Welcome Zhaire Smith 

Post#1088 » by kuclas » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:24 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:I hope he takes all of TJ's minutes. Have Ben or Jimmy at PG at all times.


TJ has been really bad the last half the season. But Brett will keep trusting him.

He’s just not attacking the rim like he did last year. Dribbling around and under the basket waiting 10 seconds is not good ball movement. Shoot the ball or pass it. Very simple when u are not athletic.

And I like tj. He’s just an energy guy off the bench. He just can’t be playing 15-20 minutes
Sixercise
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,296
And1: 140
Joined: Sep 22, 2005
     

Re: Welcome Zhaire Smith 

Post#1089 » by Sixercise » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:29 pm

I had no idea his allergy was this bad - GQ just released a really profound story on him the other day (what a warrior)....

https://www.gq.com/story/zhaire-smith-76ers-deadly-allergic-reaction
Chamberlainship wrote:I hope Jerry finds a way to bring Larry Brown back into the organization.


Chamberlainship wrote:I'm thinking Okafor for Schroder.



:giveup:
nrok10307
Junior
Posts: 477
And1: 187
Joined: May 11, 2016

Re: Welcome Zhaire Smith 

Post#1090 » by nrok10307 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:40 pm

Sixercise wrote:I had no idea his allergy was this bad - GQ just released a really profound story on him the other day (what a warrior)....

https://www.gq.com/story/zhaire-smith-76ers-deadly-allergic-reaction


Wow crazy story. Understandable why the coaching staff is hesitant to push him too far too soon; gotta let it come naturally. Dude is driven and motivated, great to see.
User avatar
BigSleep333
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,793
And1: 1,351
Joined: Dec 30, 2011
   

Re: Welcome Zhaire Smith 

Post#1091 » by BigSleep333 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:09 am

Sixercise wrote:I had no idea his allergy was this bad - GQ just released a really profound story on him the other day (what a warrior)....

https://www.gq.com/story/zhaire-smith-76ers-deadly-allergic-reaction


the things he has gone through at age 19 and then chuck up shots with a tube in his stomach at 4.30am.

lot of respect for him
phillynative
Starter
Posts: 2,329
And1: 375
Joined: Dec 13, 2014

Re: Welcome Zhaire Smith 

Post#1092 » by phillynative » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:56 am

Some people have a Will to fight
rzzzzz
Starter
Posts: 2,429
And1: 668
Joined: Feb 21, 2015
 

Re: Welcome Zhaire Smith 

Post#1093 » by rzzzzz » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:07 pm

OK, i get it, the Sixers probably won't shoot as bad next game, and the other Simmons has got to rebound a little, right? BUT, if JJ doesn't come out blazing next time, enough to overcome his defensive deficiency against a Nets team that is led by their perimeter prowess, i don't care how raw Zhaire is. who else do we really got right at the moment to slow down the onslaught?
Kobblehead
RealGM
Posts: 26,231
And1: 11,187
Joined: Apr 15, 2010
 

Re: Welcome Zhaire Smith 

Post#1094 » by Kobblehead » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:14 pm

Who cares if Zhaire isn't fully-developed or all that well-rounded? The most successful coaches in the postseason are able to deploy players in tactical matchups to take advantage of their plus tool.

The Nets go as scoring Gs, D'Angelo Russell and Spencer Dinwiddie, go. So deploying a guy who literally SPECIALIZES in defending scoring Gs like Zhaire Smith should be a no-brainer tactical decision.
Bum Adebayo
Veteran
Posts: 2,912
And1: 1,018
Joined: Apr 28, 2016
 

Re: Welcome Zhaire Smith 

Post#1095 » by Bum Adebayo » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:29 pm

Kobblehead wrote:Who cares if Zhaire isn't fully-developed or all that well-rounded? The most successful coaches in the postseason are able to deploy players in tactical matchups to take advantage of their plus tool.

The Nets go as scoring Gs, D'Angelo Russell and Spencer Dinwiddie, go. So deploying a guy who literally SPECIALIZES in defending scoring Gs like Zhaire Smith should be a no-brainer tactical decision.


Good luck expecting Brett to think about tactical matchups lmao
Negrodamus
RealGM
Posts: 12,146
And1: 4,796
Joined: Aug 05, 2004

Re: Welcome Zhaire Smith 

Post#1096 » by Negrodamus » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:39 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:Who cares if Zhaire isn't fully-developed or all that well-rounded? The most successful coaches in the postseason are able to deploy players in tactical matchups to take advantage of their plus tool.

The Nets go as scoring Gs, D'Angelo Russell and Spencer Dinwiddie, go. So deploying a guy who literally SPECIALIZES in defending scoring Gs like Zhaire Smith should be a no-brainer tactical decision.


Good luck expecting Brett to think about tactical matchups lmao


Well he’s coaching for his life, so he might need to get “creative”.
nrok10307
Junior
Posts: 477
And1: 187
Joined: May 11, 2016

Re: Welcome Zhaire Smith 

Post#1097 » by nrok10307 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:20 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:Who cares if Zhaire isn't fully-developed or all that well-rounded? The most successful coaches in the postseason are able to deploy players in tactical matchups to take advantage of their plus tool.

The Nets go as scoring Gs, D'Angelo Russell and Spencer Dinwiddie, go. So deploying a guy who literally SPECIALIZES in defending scoring Gs like Zhaire Smith should be a no-brainer tactical decision.


Good luck expecting Brett to think about tactical matchups lmao


I would like to think that Brett went the safe route and decided to use JSimmons instead of Zhaire for Game 1, banking on vet experience.

JSimmons was so bad that hopefully Brett doesnt have any other choice but to play Zhaire in Game 2. We’ll see what actually happens :roll:
cool93
Starter
Posts: 2,171
And1: 1,336
Joined: Jul 24, 2016
 

Re: Welcome Zhaire Smith 

Post#1098 » by cool93 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:03 am

Bum Adebayo wrote:
Good luck expecting Brett to think


Fixed it for you
PhillyPhilly
Pro Prospect
Posts: 905
And1: 313
Joined: Jul 01, 2018
       

Re: Welcome Zhaire Smith 

Post#1099 » by PhillyPhilly » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:35 am

Ok yall I wanted to post Zhaire's highlights thus far with the Blue coats and the Sixers.

Blue coats














Sixers









I just think he's got everything In his game to something really special. He's fast, he's nimble on his feet, he's got an incredible spring, a high defensive IQ, can finish at the rim, Is a GREAT passer already, shows signs of being able to create his own shot, is shooting the jumper very well from mid-range and the three etc. I think if he works hard In the offseason (which he most certainly will) then there is no reason why he can't replace JJ moving forward.
Kolkmania
Analyst
Posts: 3,058
And1: 1,458
Joined: Feb 11, 2015

Re: Welcome Zhaire Smith 

Post#1100 » by Kolkmania » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:14 am

PhillyPhilly wrote:I just think he's got everything In his game to something really special. He's fast, he's nimble on his feet, he's got an incredible spring, a high defensive IQ, can finish at the rim, Is a GREAT passer already, shows signs of being able to create his own shot, is shooting the jumper very well from mid-range and the three etc. I think if he works hard In the offseason (which he most certainly will) then there is no reason why he can't replace JJ moving forward.


I'm sorry to spoil your honeymoon phase, but you should lower your expectations of Smith's offensive skill set.

He's a decent passer, he has some nice dump-off passes when he drives to the rim. However, labeling him as a great passer suggests that he can create shots for others out of the P&R for example and that's not true.
Similarly, his shooting percentages in the NBA are good (37.5% from three on just 16 attempts), but the shot looked significantly worse in the G league, where he was really reluctant to shoot and hit 20% out of 25 attempts. I'm not saying that he won't shoot an open catch and shoot three next year, but expecting him to replace JJ (who hits the most ridiculous shots on the move) is ignorant imo.

He'll definitely offer a different skill set (more defensive mindset), but we desperately need a good shooter next to Embiid and Simmons.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers