ImageImageImage

Welcome Zhaire Smith

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,693

Re: Welcome Zhaire Smith 

Post#1341 » by rzzzzz » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:51 pm

LloydFree wrote:They're not giving Zhaire burn because they already have Thybulle to give all of the things Zhaire can give you.

again, i was pretty jazzed after SL at having two defensive enthusiasts (one who's freak athleticism helped his school advance during March madness, the other a senior recognized by the NCAA for his defensive chops) who both had at least respectable looking 3 point mechanics. glad that Brett has given one time to shine, mystified why Brett didn't give the other even a chance during preseason. Zhaire seems to be finding his range. hope Matisse develops consistency. (i also hope that Brett has finally relented his resistance to running pick and roll with our main talent. otherwise, we've already given Him more than enough burn.)
Tomjas
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,173

Post#1342 » by Tomjas » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:26 pm

Smith has played less than 2000 minutes of basketball since HS

I would like to see him get minutes in the NBA as much as anyone but getting minutes in the G is better for his development than sitting on the end of the bench
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,133

Post#1343 » by Arsenal » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:56 pm

Agree with this. Not interested in selling low on Smith right now...

Read on Twitter
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,473

Post#1344 » by youngcrev » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:07 pm

Arsenal wrote:Agree with this. Not interested in selling low on Smith right now...

Read on Twitter

I'm still intrigued by Zhaire, but this team needs to add a rotation guy, and he's one of the few non-starters making more than a minimum salary. Trading him might be a necessary evil.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#1345 » by Arsenal » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:23 pm

youngcrev wrote:
Arsenal wrote:Agree with this. Not interested in selling low on Smith right now...

Read on Twitter

I'm still intrigued by Zhaire, but this team needs to add a rotation guy, and he's one of the few non-starters making more than a minimum salary. Trading him might be a necessary evil.

Use some of the dozens of 2nd's we got from Santa Hinkie instead. Not interested in giving up on Smith's upside, especially after we just made the same stupid mistake with Fultz.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,828

Post#1346 » by Negrodamus » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:29 pm

He has looked more comfortable shooting from distance in recent highlights. His burst is also definitely back. I'd love to see him be the high scorer in most games for the rest of the G League season. I doubt we're going to see much of him on the Sixers until probably the end of the regular season. Next year will be his make or break for us.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,550

Post#1347 » by 76ciology » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:41 pm

..or it could be the right time to trade him. While his stock is high.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,866

Post#1348 » by Stanford » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:46 pm

Read on Twitter

Agree with Detrick unless he's being valued at a high point (which he won't be). Those %s are encouraging for sure.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,473

Post#1349 » by youngcrev » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:48 pm

Arsenal wrote:
youngcrev wrote:

Read on Twitter

Use some of the dozens of 2nd's we got from Santa Hinkie instead. Not interested in giving up on Smith's upside, especially after we just made the same stupid mistake with Fultz.

I mean from a salary matching standpoint
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,107

Post#1350 » by Kobblehead » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:12 pm

It depends on what trade target you're using him as salary for.

If you're adding him to a deal to get an emerging star like Zach Lavine or former star still playing at a high level like Derrick Rose, it's worth it to sacrifice him.

If you're adding him to a deal to get a career scrub like Davis Bertans or a package to get a scrub like Dedmon and a rental of Bogdanovic, of course you're making a mistake.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,828

Post#1351 » by Negrodamus » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:13 pm

Is his stock high? I don't think any team is salivating over a player's G-League performances.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#1352 » by Arsenal » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:27 pm

Negrodamus wrote:Is his stock high? I don't think any team is salivating over a player's G-League performances.

His stock is not high, which is precisely why we shouldn't deal him now unless a star is coming back (e.g. LaVine).
PhillyFan11
Rookie
And1: 444

Post#1353 » by PhillyFan11 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:30 pm

Negrodamus wrote:Is his stock high? I don't think any team is salivating over a player's G-League performances.

He’s 20, was a consensus top 15-20 pick in his draft class and has yet to prove he can’t play in the NBA. I’m sure you’re right that no one is salivating over him, but I’m sure he’s still plenty intriguing to a bad team that isn’t going to be competing any time soon.
ivysixer2000
General Manager
And1: 2,040

Post#1354 » by ivysixer2000 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:33 pm

Zhaire is a penny stock right now, overrating players will give you heartburn.

He has potential, but including him as some big piece in a trade is a bit much.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,550

Post#1355 » by 76ciology » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:37 pm

Dont focus on Zhaire, focus on what you can get for him.

If you can only get scrubs then just hold. If you can get someone like DRose then i’d trade him.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#1356 » by Kobblehead » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:37 pm

Look at how much Brett Brown and Dwayne Casey love Matisse Thybulle and Bruce Brown, respectively. To a ridiculous degree, borderline fault, arguably.

Coaches love low maintenance guys that just defend and do all the dirty work without needing or wanting the ball.

I'd imagine any coach with say in personnel has Zhaire's name written on a notepad in the top drawer of their office desk for when he becomes made available.
smittybanton
Sixth Man
And1: 398

Post#1357 » by smittybanton » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:49 pm

sorry to be the curmudgeon: i would put zhaire in a trade for derrick rose with no hesitation. his performance in the gleague has been disappointing to me even after considering his good shooting. i dont see how he becomes better than avery bradley, and i dont see how he can play with a point guard other than ben simmons or someone similarly tall. i used to think he could be john starks, but he just hasnt shown the knack to create off the dribble, create for others, defend the point, or create turnovers with help defense. he can knock down open jumpers while he hunts alleyoops. thats it.

there's a reason he was a forward in highschool, college and is struggling as a guard in the gleague (2.39turnovers : 1.9assists). paint by numbers player, a la wade baldwin, mikal bridges. at least bridges has insane length, but his lack of other skills is what keeps him on the bench after 4 years training with jay wright. baldwin of course is out the league, and he was 5x the ballhandler zhaire is. timothe luwawu is another long athletic guy with very limited playmaking skills, and a middling career because of it. furkan korkmaz is still not all that adept at creating off the dribble for himself and others, and he had at age 20 probably 7x the dribble and court vision zhaire has.

the worst part is that defensively, there's been nothing to suggest that zhaire is a menace against opposing point guards. i know this is going too far, but the leader of the front office (david heller) when we acquired zhaire smith and jimmy butler was walked out the building this past summer. man, michael porter jr is looking good. ;-)
PhillyFan11
Rookie
And1: 444

Post#1358 » by PhillyFan11 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:31 pm

Kobblehead wrote:It depends on what trade target you're using him as salary for.

If you're adding him to a deal to get an emerging star like Zach Lavine or former star still playing at a high level like Derrick Rose, it's worth it to sacrifice him.

If you're adding him to a deal to get a career scrub like Davis Bertans or a package to get a scrub like Dedmon and a rental of Bogdanovic, of course you're making a mistake.

Wait, you determined that a former 2nd round pick that had 3 years in the league is a “career scrub”?1. That’s dumb. 2. A 6’10 guy with his elite shooting ability can’t be a scrub. It just doesn’t compute.

Not saying he’s great or that the Sixers should give up a lot get him, but he’d be a damn good fit if the price is right. Zhaire, a 2nd and Scott sounds like a great price to me.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#1359 » by Kobblehead » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:51 pm

PhillyFan11 wrote:Wait, you determined that a former 2nd round pick that had 3 years in the league is a “career scrub”?1. That’s dumb. 2. A 6’10 guy with his elite shooting ability can’t be a scrub. It just doesn’t compute.

Yes, a guy who averaged 6.2 ppg during his ages 24 through 26 seasons was a career scrub, up until that point. If you want to sacrifice Zhaire Smith for a polished up former scrub having a career year at age 27, that's your choice. I think it's a terrible idea. Zhaire was as good or better in his 6 games as a 19 year old than Bertans was in that entire chunk of years in his mid-20s.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,840

Post#1360 » by Mik317 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:21 pm

As always I think Kobble goes a bit overboard...

but yeah I am with him on this one lol. Bertans is Jason Kapono 2.0. He will get paid and suddenly his shot will fall off a bit and then his shortcomings blossom.

Not a bad Mike Scott replacement but not THE move to rush to make.
#NeverGonnaBeGood

Return to Philadelphia 76ers