ImageImageImage

Welcome Landry Shamet

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

PLO
Analyst
And1: 1,305

Re: Welcome Landry Shamet 

Post#161 » by PLO » Fri Nov 9, 2018 9:23 am

The reason he's been successful is because he is on a leash - he has a strict and defined role. That's a big reason for Jayson Tatum's success last year.

The reason he wasn't drafted higher was because some parts of his game aren't up to NBA par - you could see this in some of his games at Wichita State when he was really asked to carry most of the offense.

Its a big tick to our scouting - they saw parts of his game that could really succeed at the next level and saw how he fit our roster.
LakersDynasty14 wrote:Lonzo Ball is literally on a Hall of Fame trajectory at this point. This thread is so full of fail.

shakes0 wrote:I hope they put Simmons on Trae. He'll foul him out by the 3rd quarter. plus Simmons can't stay in front of Trae. No one can.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#162 » by LloydFree » Fri Nov 9, 2018 10:40 am

PLO wrote:The reason he's been successful is because he is on a leash - he has a strict and defined role. That's a big reason for Jayson Tatum's success last year.

The reason he wasn't drafted higher was because some parts of his game aren't up to NBA par - you could see this in some of his games at Wichita State when he was really asked to carry most of the offense.

Its a big tick to our scouting - they saw parts of his game that could really succeed at the next level and saw how he fit our roster.

Amazing what your scouts and GM can pickup about a player's 'fit', when you actually have them in for private workouts, BEFORE you decide to select him.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,965

Post#163 » by ankle420breaker » Fri Nov 9, 2018 1:33 pm

Not sure if you can consider the 17th pick as a "late" first rounder, but Jrue Holiday was a tremendous haul.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
mithrandir17
Veteran
And1: 1,609

Post#164 » by mithrandir17 » Fri Nov 9, 2018 2:16 pm

ankle420breaker wrote:Not sure if you can consider the 17th pick as a "late" first rounder, but Jrue Holiday was a tremendous haul.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

17th pick is a mid first rounder
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,444

Post#165 » by Eyeamok » Fri Nov 9, 2018 4:34 pm

LloydFree wrote:
PLO wrote:The reason he's been successful is because he is on a leash - he has a strict and defined role. That's a big reason for Jayson Tatum's success last year.

Amazing what your scouts and GM can pickup about a player's 'fit', when you actually have them in for private workouts, BEFORE you decide to select him.

Really teams are allowed to do that!! Amazing. Well you know who had been out of the league for a few years so perhaps he did not know you were allowed to do that. But Imagonna keep this on Landry. Hope the guy continues to improve.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
gdog2004
Starter
And1: 706

Post#166 » by gdog2004 » Fri Nov 9, 2018 5:09 pm

LloydFree wrote:

Stop. Everyone knows the protocol is to always bring guys in for pre-draft workouts UNLESS draft express has them ranked number one. Then you should do the NBA equivalent of Mike Ditka when he was with the Saints and trade all of your assets to get them. :lol: :lol: :banghead:
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,810

Post#167 » by HotelVitale » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:50 am

Ericb5 wrote:My thoughts on Shamet when we picked him was that I had no idea who he was. I didn’t even remember reading his name prior. I never have expectations for guys picked that late, but I’m thrilled with him so far. Just being able to provide real minutes in his rookie year is a feat, and he looks like he belongs. His shot, and his swagger are obvious.

This'll probably sound unnecessarily negative (esp since I like rooting for Shamet) but it's stil hard to see how he's going to be a decent starter in the future. Even if he's playing well (like he has so far) it seems very likely he'll be limited to being a competent bench energy shooter. I can respect the move of choosing a guy with a late 1st who can give you rotation minutes at the wing and help with shooting, but it feels like it's a regular season move. Weird thing where I'm appreciating Shamet and still think picking him up was kinda weak move.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#168 » by LloydFree » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:46 pm

At the moment the pick was announced I didn't like the pick. Mostly because I didn't want Robert Williams to fall to the Celtics. (I still don't like that they got him, but at least now I know they could have still picked Mitchell Robinson, a much better talent, even if we selected RW). I'm ecstatic at the pick now. Brett knew what he was doing. He picked a player, late in the draft, that had one (1) elite skill that he knew would translate to the NBA, rather than picking a guy with multiple average tools (from a consensus list) and hoping his average tools would translate. Great pick
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
marcush
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,151

Post#169 » by marcush » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:46 am

Really good work here by the collaborators.

It’s still weird to see a Sixer draftee who can shoot like this. Just so balanced.

You suck Bryan.
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#170 » by Ericb5 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:52 am

HotelVitale wrote:
Ericb5 wrote:My thoughts on Shamet when we picked him was that I had no idea who he was. I didn’t even remember reading his name prior. I never have expectations for guys picked that late, but I’m thrilled with him so far. Just being able to provide real minutes in his rookie year is a feat, and he looks like he belongs. His shot, and his swagger are obvious.

This'll probably sound unnecessarily negative (esp since I like rooting for Shamet) but it's stil hard to see how he's going to be a decent starter in the future. Even if he's playing well (like he has so far) it seems very likely he'll be limited to being a competent bench energy shooter. I can respect the move of choosing a guy with a late 1st who can give you rotation minutes at the wing and help with shooting, but it feels like it's a regular season move. Weird thing where I'm appreciating Shamet and still think picking him up was kinda weak move.

He doesn’t need to be a starter. A strong role player is fine by me.

The fact that he is playing so well so quickly is a great sign.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mattd13
Senior
And1: 119

Post#171 » by mattd13 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:15 pm

big difference between larry and fultz. larry plays like a pit bull looking to attack. fultz plays like a poodle looking to get in somebody's lap!!!
nrok10307
Junior
And1: 189

Post#172 » by nrok10307 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:09 pm

Sign of a good front office when a team is contending is if they can hit on late first round picks and second rounders. Teams like the Warriors and Spurs have been successful for many years.

Both Hinkie and BC had iffy track records with the Sixers. It's exciting to see the current FO striking gold with Landry. Will be interesting if Shake can also provide cheap bench production too once he gets healthy.
sixers4real
Veteran
And1: 1,895

Post#173 » by sixers4real » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:13 pm

Great that we have him for 4 years on a rookie deal. Sometimes you wish a player falls to the second round, but in case, complete different story. 4 years on a great salary. Well done, BB, well done.
Sixers fan since 2001. From Russia.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#174 » by Sixerscan » Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:59 am

Not sure how to handle a Sixers first round pick just having a normal solid rookie season.
Eta Carinae
Junior
And1: 86

Post#175 » by Eta Carinae » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:38 am

The dude can ball. Really like him.
marcush
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,151

Post#176 » by marcush » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:33 am

Do our coaches get credit for this guys shooting?
Wilfried
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,909

Post#177 » by Wilfried » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:19 am

Sixerscan wrote:Not sure how to handle a Sixers first round pick just having a normal solid rookie season.

There's still Zhaire Smith to compensate for that big shock
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#178 » by Ericb5 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:43 pm

marcush wrote:Do our coaches get credit for this guys shooting?

Why would the coaches get credit for that? He was drafted in large part because of his shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,133

Post#179 » by Arsenal » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:05 pm

nrok10307 wrote:Sign of a good front office when a team is contending is if they can hit on late first round picks and second rounders. Teams like the Warriors and Spurs have been successful for many years.

Both Hinkie and BC had iffy track records with the Sixers. It's exciting to see the current FO striking gold with Landry. Will be interesting if Shake can also provide cheap bench production too once he gets healthy.

Hinkie's drafting was pretty good. He found a lot of late contributors who outperformed their draft slot, along with UDFA's. He also rolled multiple assets over into the future, many of which still haven't been used, otherwise he obviously could have been drafting higher than he was.

Holmes, Grant, McDaniels, McConnell, Covington

BC on the other hand was a complete disaster. Although his one late pick that looks decent (Korkmaz) was foolishly handled by the Collaborative Effort.
gdog2004
Starter
And1: 706

Post#180 » by gdog2004 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:07 pm

Love Shamet. Made clutch shots and he is much better on D than I thought he would be. Great pick. THIS is the young player they should be grooming for more minutes.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers