ImageImageImage

Welcome Shake Milton

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, Foshan, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

Negrodamus
RealGM
Posts: 13,675
And1: 5,402
Joined: Aug 05, 2004

Re: Welcome Shake Milton 

Post#161 » by Negrodamus » Mon Mar 2, 2020 7:58 pm

Why does a Summer League performance have any bearing on a players NBA future? It's barely structured basketball.
phillynative
Analyst
Posts: 3,290
And1: 550
Joined: Dec 13, 2014

Re: Welcome Shake Milton 

Post#162 » by phillynative » Mon Mar 2, 2020 8:17 pm

Summer league is not exactly a measure of success but shooting usually translates across all leagues. He shot badly and just looked loss. If his summer league wasnt a cause for concern he probably would not have gotten sent back to gleague. He is not very athletic so he was going to have trouble getting his shot off against NBA caliber guards.

Also from the looks of it . It looks like he has added range ,quickened his release and improved his ball handling since summer league.

So yes
Negrodamus
RealGM
Posts: 13,675
And1: 5,402
Joined: Aug 05, 2004

Re: Welcome Shake Milton 

Post#163 » by Negrodamus » Mon Mar 2, 2020 8:37 pm

phillynative wrote:Summer league is not exactly a measure of success but shooting usually translates across all leagues. If his summer league wasnt a cause for concern he probly would not have gotten sent back to gleague. He is not very athletic so he was going to have trouble getting his shot off against NBA caliber guards.

Also from the looks of it . It looks like he has added range ,quickened his release and improved his ball handling from summer league.

So yes


I suppose so, but it doesn't even go into my equation of relevance as a player moving forward. The only thing I take away from Summer League are positive things because it's used to highlight top prospects in a pickup ball setting. I'm way more interested in how he does in the G-League where players are fighting for their NBA relevance on a daily basis.
youngcrev
RealGM
Posts: 21,405
And1: 3,927
Joined: Jun 12, 2005
Location: Philadelphia(ish)
   

Re: Welcome Shake Milton 

Post#164 » by youngcrev » Mon Mar 2, 2020 10:07 pm

Negrodamus wrote:Why does a Summer League performance have any bearing on a players NBA future? It's barely structured basketball.


NBA future? None, really. I'd say it wasn't a good sign for his NBA-present at the time though. He didn't look ready to be a part of the rotation early on. Maybe he is now. My whole point in bringing it up was simply that some people might need to pump the brakes a little bit and see how this plays out (basing this more off the game thread and stuff I've heard elsewhere moreso than this thread).
ankle420breaker
General Manager
Posts: 7,874
And1: 1,112
Joined: Sep 21, 2005
Location: South Jersey

Re: Welcome Shake Milton 

Post#165 » by ankle420breaker » Tue Mar 3, 2020 3:10 am

youngcrev wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:Why does a Summer League performance have any bearing on a players NBA future? It's barely structured basketball.


NBA future? None, really. I'd say it wasn't a good sign for his NBA-present at the time though. He didn't look ready to be a part of the rotation early on. Maybe he is now. My whole point in bringing it up was simply that some people might need to pump the brakes a little bit and see how this plays out (basing this more off the game thread and stuff I've heard elsewhere moreso than this thread).
Can't argue. He'll see extended minutes for the upcoming stretch. I'm pleased with what he's shown, but need to evaluate his body of work over the next month before I'm able to form any real expectations.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
Negrodamus
RealGM
Posts: 13,675
And1: 5,402
Joined: Aug 05, 2004

Re: Welcome Shake Milton 

Post#166 » by Negrodamus » Tue Mar 3, 2020 3:21 am

youngcrev wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:Why does a Summer League performance have any bearing on a players NBA future? It's barely structured basketball.


NBA future? None, really. I'd say it wasn't a good sign for his NBA-present at the time though. He didn't look ready to be a part of the rotation early on. Maybe he is now. My whole point in bringing it up was simply that some people might need to pump the brakes a little bit and see how this plays out (basing this more off the game thread and stuff I've heard elsewhere moreso than this thread).


I guess. There's a whole rest of the summer then the training camp before starting lineup decisions are made. Also played decently in the preseason.

The thing about Shake is that my opinion hasn't changed on him after last night. He had an extremely hot game. But if you look at his games this year, it's obvious that he's producing at an efficient rate. If you look at his games over the past month, he's not a guy who should have been on the outside looking in on the rotation.
User avatar
Simmons25
Analyst
Posts: 3,039
And1: 2,095
Joined: Sep 27, 2016
 

Re: Welcome Shake Milton 

Post#167 » by Simmons25 » Tue Mar 3, 2020 4:56 am

Negrodamus wrote:Why does a Summer League performance have any bearing on a players NBA future? It's barely structured basketball.


It doesn't really. His November though was pretty awful in the few games he did play after coming back from injury. 23.5% from the field... 0 from 8 from three... turning it over. That's where he lost his spot in the team.
179 games - 2 three pointers
Negrodamus
RealGM
Posts: 13,675
And1: 5,402
Joined: Aug 05, 2004

Re: Welcome Shake Milton 

Post#168 » by Negrodamus » Tue Mar 3, 2020 5:16 am

Simmons25 wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:Why does a Summer League performance have any bearing on a players NBA future? It's barely structured basketball.


It doesn't really. His November though was pretty awful in the few games he did play after coming back from injury. 23.5% from the field... 0 from 8 from three... turning it over. That's where he lost his spot in the team.


I mean, you can't take data/make decisions based on games in November where he's averaging 8 minutes a game. The team is still figuring out each other and you have like maybe 10 intermittent possessions on offense to show something without making mistakes. It's unrealistic with that sample size.
brannigan73
Junior
Posts: 358
And1: 193
Joined: Apr 28, 2011

Re: Welcome Shake Milton 

Post#169 » by brannigan73 » Tue Mar 3, 2020 5:23 am

It would be foolish to count on Shake too much. He has proven he has a chance to be a rotation player in the NBA thats it. Before this hot streak he was awful several games in a row. Thats the problem with guys like Korkmaz and Shake they are young guys that are proving they are NBA players but at the same time when the Sixers start counting on them they disappear for several games in a row.
Sportfan73
Starter
Posts: 2,012
And1: 420
Joined: Jun 18, 2015
   

Re: Welcome Shake Milton 

Post#170 » by Sportfan73 » Tue Mar 3, 2020 6:17 am

:roll:
brannigan73 wrote:It would be foolish to count on Shake too much. He has proven he has a chance to be a rotation player in the NBA thats it. Before this hot streak he was awful several games in a row. Thats the problem with guys like Korkmaz and Shake they are young guys that are proving they are NBA players but at the same time when the Sixers start counting on them they disappear for several games in a row.

Lol. And this is why some dudes become CJ, and some never figure it out. Talent is there, there needs to be confidence and a GREEN light
Stanners
Ballboy
Posts: 15
And1: 2
Joined: Feb 17, 2020
   

Re: Welcome Shake Milton 

Post#171 » by Stanners » Wed Mar 4, 2020 11:44 am

brannigan73 wrote:It would be foolish to count on Shake too much. He has proven he has a chance to be a rotation player in the NBA thats it. Before this hot streak he was awful several games in a row. Thats the problem with guys like Korkmaz and Shake they are young guys that are proving they are NBA players but at the same time when the Sixers start counting on them they disappear for several games in a row.


I wouldn't say awful. As a starter he is averaging 13.9/3.4/3.4 on 56/54/79 shooting (70.4 TS%) in only 28.2 Minutes per game. Obviously that drops to 4.1/1.3/0.9 on 40/36/81 shooting (54.1 TS%) in 10 minutes a game off the bench. Dude just needs touches and he's shown he can step up. He's the backup PG we need atm. Milton > Neto any day of the week.

Haivng said that, I would be quite interested to see a line up of:

PG: Simmons
SG: Milton
SF: Richardson
PF: Harris
C: Embiid
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
Posts: 15,338
And1: 1,170
Joined: Mar 17, 2004

Re: Welcome Shake Milton 

Post#172 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Wed Mar 4, 2020 11:55 am

With Milton's shooting he almost has to be the starter IF Brett sticks to Horford coming off the bench. I mean it's either him or Korkmaz right? Unless GRob gets going? Even then, I'd stick with Shake. Oh well, Brett still hasn't figured the rotation out. I don't expect him to any time soon.
Sportfan73
Starter
Posts: 2,012
And1: 420
Joined: Jun 18, 2015
   

Re: Welcome Shake Milton 

Post#173 » by Sportfan73 » Wed Mar 4, 2020 3:57 pm

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:With Milton's shooting he almost has to be the starter IF Brett sticks to Horford coming off the bench. I mean it's either him or Korkmaz right? Unless GRob gets going? Even then, I'd stick with Shake. Oh well, Brett still hasn't figured the rotation out. I don't expect him to any time soon.

It’s hands down Shake. Even with CONSTANT ball pressure from Bradley and rondo, and a lot of defensive attention (GRAVITY!!!!) he was able to split some doubt teams and get to the rim well. He still easily looked like our most dynamic player with the ball in his hands last night.
phillynative
Analyst
Posts: 3,290
And1: 550
Joined: Dec 13, 2014

Re: Welcome Shake Milton 

Post#174 » by phillynative » Wed Mar 4, 2020 7:26 pm

Sportfan73 wrote:
ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:With Milton's shooting he almost has to be the starter IF Brett sticks to Horford coming off the bench. I mean it's either him or Korkmaz right? Unless GRob gets going? Even then, I'd stick with Shake. Oh well, Brett still hasn't figured the rotation out. I don't expect him to any time soon.

It’s hands down Shake. Even with CONSTANT ball pressure from Bradley and rondo, and a lot of defensive attention (GRAVITY!!!!) he was able to split some doubt teams and get to the rim well. He still easily looked like our most dynamic player with the ball in his hands last night.


I think he is a little more dynamic than jrich and maybe a little less than Alec Burks who has always been a good ball handler/slasher.

That's one of the reasons why it makes since to start him next to Ben. Let Burks and Al run the second unit. We need shakes shooting and playmaking in that first unit with Embiid and Ben
sixerserpent
Ballboy
Posts: 1
And1: 0
Joined: Feb 21, 2020
         

Re: Welcome Shake Milton 

Post#175 » by sixerserpent » Wed Mar 4, 2020 9:38 pm

phillynative wrote:
Sportfan73 wrote:
ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:With Milton's shooting he almost has to be the starter IF Brett sticks to Horford coming off the bench. I mean it's either him or Korkmaz right? Unless GRob gets going? Even then, I'd stick with Shake. Oh well, Brett still hasn't figured the rotation out. I don't expect him to any time soon.

It’s hands down Shake. Even with CONSTANT ball pressure from Bradley and rondo, and a lot of defensive attention (GRAVITY!!!!) he was able to split some doubt teams and get to the rim well. He still easily looked like our most dynamic player with the ball in his hands last night.


I think he is a little more dynamic than jrich and maybe a little less than Alec Burks who has always been a good ball handler/slasher.

That's one of the reasons why it makes since to start him next to Ben. Let Burks and Al run the second unit. We need shakes shooting and playmaking in that first unit with Embiid and Ben


If Shake turns into nothing more than a consistent 3 point shooter, I'm happy. We need all the floor spacing we can get.
User avatar
aHealthy3
Pro Prospect
Posts: 992
And1: 282
Joined: Dec 27, 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Contact:
     

Re: Welcome Shake Milton 

Post#176 » by aHealthy3 » Fri Mar 6, 2020 6:46 am

Imo Shake is the real deal, long term starter. We'll see if this looks dumb later. He's shot 40-43% from 3 his entire basketball career and appears able to handle and create, has a high bbiq, long enough to hold his own defensively. Him on a minimum for 4 years could bail out so many bad roster moves we have made.
Sam Hinkie wrote:The illusion of control is an opiate, though.
PhillyPhilly
Rookie
Posts: 1,072
And1: 410
Joined: Jul 01, 2018
       

Re: Welcome Shake Milton 

Post#177 » by PhillyPhilly » Sat Mar 7, 2020 2:31 am

Anyone else see a little Victor Oladipo In his game? I'm hoping that's the kind of player he can become tbh.
User avatar
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
Posts: 9,715
And1: 1,275
Joined: Jan 10, 2009

Re: Welcome Shake Milton 

Post#178 » by Foshan » Sat Mar 7, 2020 2:52 am

aHealthy3 wrote:Imo Shake is the real deal, long term starter. We'll see if this looks dumb later. He's shot 40-43% from 3 his entire basketball career and appears able to handle and create, has a high bbiq, long enough to hold his own defensively. Him on a minimum for 4 years could bail out so many bad roster moves we have made.


I agree with this. If we can keep him from becoming strictly a stand in the corner 3 point shooter when Ben returns, I think this could be great.

Also, what could also be a potential positive for him, with Embiid coming back before Ben (knock on wood), I think Embiid will be able to get a little chemistry with him, as he does a good job looking for people as he drives to the basket.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
Posts: 7,893
And1: 1,738
Joined: Jun 28, 2002

Re: Welcome Shake Milton 

Post#179 » by sixers hoops » Sun Mar 8, 2020 4:22 pm

Foshan wrote:
aHealthy3 wrote:Imo Shake is the real deal, long term starter. We'll see if this looks dumb later. He's shot 40-43% from 3 his entire basketball career and appears able to handle and create, has a high bbiq, long enough to hold his own defensively. Him on a minimum for 4 years could bail out so many bad roster moves we have made.


I agree with this. If we can keep him from becoming strictly a stand in the corner 3 point shooter when Ben returns, I think this could be great.

Also, what could also be a potential positive for him, with Embiid coming back before Ben (knock on wood), I think Embiid will be able to get a little chemistry with him, as he does a good job looking for people as he drives to the basket.


Obviously Brett and Elton don’t agree with me, but I think Ben should primarily be a power forward in the half court and Shake should be the point guard. Ben is most effective on the break when the other team misses and we can get out running. Come playoff time we move him to this spot anyway, but during the regular season we don’t want to upset him.

I would like to see more Shake, Korkmaz, Tobias, Ben, and Embiid when healthy. Josh would start ahead of Korkmaz, but we need as much shooting as we can squeeze in the lineup with our mismatched roster.
Kobblehead
RealGM
Posts: 30,516
And1: 12,725
Joined: Apr 15, 2010
 

Re: Welcome Shake Milton 

Post#180 » by Kobblehead » Mon Mar 9, 2020 3:49 pm

I think we gotta chill a bit. Shake is shooting 64% from three on almost 6 attempts per game during this 8 game hot streak. Korkmaz was a world beater for a small period of time, too. We don't know if he's a longterm piece or not yet. It would be crazy to make a definitive ruling right now.

We should just relax and ride the wave.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers