ImageImageImage

Welcome Shake Milton

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

LloydFree
RealGM
Posts: 14,188
And1: 10,127
Joined: Aug 20, 2012
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Re: Welcome Shake Milton 

Post#221 » by LloydFree » Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:33 pm

youngcrev wrote:
LloydFree wrote:I think Shake Milton's evolution could have the biggest impact on the team's ceiling going forward. Every year teams have guys that nobody considered, breakout and change the trajectory of their teams. I have a feeling Shake is going to be one of the breakout players in the league this season.


Would be nice. A playmaking shooter certainly would fill a huge hole for the team.

I really don't even think it's wishful thinking. Offensively, he's easily what George Hill was at the same stage. If Shake can make himself playable on the defensive end, the 76ers won't be able to afford to pay him in two years.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
Posts: 15,665
And1: 1,352
Joined: Mar 17, 2004

Re: Welcome Shake Milton 

Post#222 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:42 pm

I'm a agreement here on Shake. He's on his way up as a basketball player. The 39 he dropped against the Clipper could have very well been a fluke game, but it wasn't. He continued to score, he continued to hit big shots, he continued to make his presence felt. That in my opinion is the makings of a mainstay in the rotation. Although we too a thrashing in the playoffs, I think that experience was also good for him. I look for him to come back this year and be a pleasant surprise for us. Big things are coming from him scoring wise if he can stay healthy.
Eyeamok
Analyst
Posts: 3,374
And1: 1,590
Joined: Mar 02, 2006

Re: Welcome Shake Milton 

Post#223 » by Eyeamok » Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:53 pm

LloydFree wrote:
youngcrev wrote:
LloydFree wrote:I think Shake Milton's evolution could have the biggest impact on the team's ceiling going forward. Every year teams have guys that nobody considered, breakout and change the trajectory of their teams. I have a feeling Shake is going to be one of the breakout players in the league this season.


Would be nice. A playmaking shooter certainly would fill a huge hole for the team.

I really don't even think it's wishful thinking. Offensively, he's easily what George Hill was at the same stage. If Shake can make himself playable on the defensive end, the 76ers won't be able to afford to pay him in two years.


We better find a way to pay him.
Please allow me to introduce myself I'm a man of wealth and taste.

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
Iverson Armband
Junior
Posts: 425
And1: 201
Joined: Nov 26, 2020
 

Re: Welcome Shake Milton 

Post#224 » by Iverson Armband » Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:54 pm

It should be a no brainer he starts over Seth. Seth is the perfect dynamo shooter to bring off the bench as a 6th man with Thybulle.
Kobblehead
RealGM
Posts: 32,147
And1: 13,503
Joined: Apr 15, 2010
 

Re: Welcome Shake Milton 

Post#225 » by Kobblehead » Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:57 pm

The problem is that he's borderline unplayable defensively. He was one of the worst defensive performers, league-wide, in the bubble tournament this year. If he can't masquerade as at least a neutral defender on some nights, it's going to be tough to justify playing him more than 20 mpg.

Maxey will have similar defensive issues, but he has much more dynamic handle/slashing/finishing ability as a creater.
LloydFree
RealGM
Posts: 14,188
And1: 10,127
Joined: Aug 20, 2012
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Re: Welcome Shake Milton 

Post#226 » by LloydFree » Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:11 pm

Kobblehead wrote:The problem is that he's borderline unplayable defensively. He was one of the worst defensive performers, league-wide, in the bubble tournament this year. If he can't masquerade as at least a neutral defender on some nights, it's going to be tough to justify playing him more than 20 mpg.

Maxey will have similar defensive issues, but he has much more dynamic handle/slashing/finishing ability as a creater.

Part of that is strength and part of that is experience. Those things improve naturally.

Remember, Milton just started playing mid-season. Seems longer because the season was interrupted. He never played against Starters with a scouting report against him. This is basically his 2nd year in the league coming up.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
User avatar
Arsenal
RealGM
Posts: 11,072
And1: 5,922
Joined: Jun 05, 2002
Location: Arlington, VA
 

Re: Welcome Shake Milton 

Post#227 » by Arsenal » Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:04 pm

Cautiously optimistic that Shake will improve defensively this year. He's always had the length, and apparently he bulked up this offseason. Not worried at all about his offense, where his combo of shooting and secondary playmaking is a great fit. I look for his usage on offense to go up over 20% this year (18.9% last year).
Kobblehead
RealGM
Posts: 32,147
And1: 13,503
Joined: Apr 15, 2010
 

Re: Welcome Shake Milton 

Post#228 » by Kobblehead » Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:06 pm

What does he weigh now? As a 24 year old at 6'6" 205, I wouldn't think strength would be an issue for him.

I see that Furkan is finally over 200 pounds lol.
davesilver
Sophomore
Posts: 205
And1: 103
Joined: Aug 14, 2020
     

Re: Welcome Shake Milton 

Post#229 » by davesilver » Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:08 pm

He is going to be the key to our success
phillynative
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,880
And1: 695
Joined: Dec 13, 2014

Re: Welcome Shake Milton 

Post#230 » by phillynative » Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:26 pm

Read on Twitter


Does he look bigger? i cant tell from this angle
Kobblehead
RealGM
Posts: 32,147
And1: 13,503
Joined: Apr 15, 2010
 

Re: Welcome Shake Milton 

Post#231 » by Kobblehead » Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:41 pm

Looks less flabby and more defined in the arms, for sure.
Winejk
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,483
And1: 423
Joined: Jun 28, 2010

Re: Welcome Shake Milton 

Post#232 » by Winejk » Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:48 pm

If Shake can hit 3s on the move off the dribble, as opposed to standstill and catch and shoot 3s, like he did twice last night, the league better watch out.
Kobblehead
RealGM
Posts: 32,147
And1: 13,503
Joined: Apr 15, 2010
 

Re: Welcome Shake Milton 

Post#233 » by Kobblehead » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:50 pm

I'll happily eat some crow for diminishing Shake's ability to score off the dribble if he keeps drilling those pullup midrange jumpers. If he just shows that he can compete defensively, we might have something here. We really need to get him right defensively.
Iverson Armband
Junior
Posts: 425
And1: 201
Joined: Nov 26, 2020
 

Re: Welcome Shake Milton 

Post#234 » by Iverson Armband » Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:31 am

Kobblehead wrote:I'll happily eat some crow for diminishing Shake's ability to score off the dribble if he keeps drilling those pullup midrange jumpers. If he just shows that he can compete defensively, we might have something here. We really need to get him right defensively.

I’m trying to figure out how you missed it last year.

This was almost predictable after the year he had.
Wilfried
Analyst
Posts: 3,167
And1: 1,153
Joined: May 24, 2007

Re: Welcome Shake Milton 

Post#235 » by Wilfried » Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:54 am

Would be a very nice change to see if Elton, after handing out some of the worst contracts, also handed out one of the best ...

Love Shake
kriss73
Veteran
Posts: 2,575
And1: 1,413
Joined: Jul 25, 2015
       

Re: Welcome Shake Milton 

Post#236 » by kriss73 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:33 pm

Per 36 min stats of second year Brogdon (age 25) and second year Shake (age 23) are quite simile.
Advanced stats too.

It would be nice if Shake is going to make a step forward in the same mold of Brogdon during his third season.

He wolud become the right player in the right place.
And on a good contract too.
Adam Silver wrote:"Gross incompetence is acceptable; strategic gaming of a flawed system is not."
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
Posts: 15,665
And1: 1,352
Joined: Mar 17, 2004

Re: Welcome Shake Milton 

Post#237 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:55 pm

He's still getting barbecued on defense, as others have pointed out, getting him to simply compete on defense should be the goal I think. He has bulked up, and he has put in some good work from the looks of it. I don't think anyone here can deny the offensive talent he has at this point. He's a big time scorer, he's not afraid to put the ball up, he's going to be huge for us this year. This isn't just preseason hype for me personally. Shake belongs in this league, I wouldn't be shocked in the least if he's our second leading scorer this year behind Embiid. If he can avoid injuries and setbacks, I don't see why he can't be our version of Caris Levert, Jamal Crawford, Lou Williams....Just instant offense that has the ability to create for others.
Negrodamus
RealGM
Posts: 15,359
And1: 6,345
Joined: Aug 05, 2004

Re: Welcome Shake Milton 

Post#238 » by Negrodamus » Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:45 pm

He needs to be a good team defender that cuts off angles and gets deflections; which I do think he does OK at. I don't think it's realistic to ever expect him to ISO defend Kyrie.
User avatar
Sixersftw
RealGM
Posts: 14,696
And1: 5,189
Joined: Dec 23, 2006
       

Re: Welcome Shake Milton 

Post#239 » by Sixersftw » Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:53 pm

Mike O Conner has a really good film breakdown up on the first game. Shake's defensive woes were largely adjustment to scheme changes. For instance on PnR help defense, he messed up cutting off the roller initially but fixed those mistakes by games end. Like it's already been said, he's going to get lightly roasted by the Kyrie's of the world but it would be unfair to expect him not to. He's going to be a solid defender overall and in the right spots generally. As long as he can do that, and his offense is as advertised, we have a hell of a player.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
youngcrev
RealGM
Posts: 23,203
And1: 5,057
Joined: Jun 12, 2005
Location: Philadelphia(ish)
   

Re: Welcome Shake Milton 

Post#240 » by youngcrev » Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:57 pm

Sixersftw wrote:Mike O Conner has a really good film breakdown up on the first game. Shake's defensive woes were largely adjustment to scheme changes. For instance on PnR help defense, he messed up cutting off the roller initially but fixed those mistakes by games end. Like it's already been said, he's going to get lightly roasted by the Kyrie's of the world but it would be unfair to expect him not to. He's going to be a solid defender overall and in the right spots generally. As long as he can do that, and his offense is as advertised, we have a hell of a player.


He also ripped Mattise to pieces so I'm not sure some around here can handle the watch.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers