ImageImageImage

2018-2019 College Basketball / '19 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, sixers hoops, CoreyGallagher, Sixerscan, Foshan, BullyKing

smittybanton
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,622
And1: 368
Joined: Jul 30, 2016

Re: 2018-2019 College Basketball / '19 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1901 » by smittybanton » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:20 pm

the_process wrote:Question of the day: is it crazy to try and trade up to get Nickeil Alexander-Walker?



would be a great get. fits the pg-sg profile i'm looking at with tomas satoransky in free agency.

dream scenario: 24 &34 - nickeil alexander walker, 33 - nicolas claxton, 42 & 54 - daniel gafford.

that said, if claxton is on the rise and naw is too expensive, i'd really like 24 - matisse thybulle, 33 & 34 - nicolas claxton, 42 & 54 - daniel gafford. some muscle to throw back at anunoby, siakam and ibaka. ;-)

that and that said, i think the free agent market for backup point guards is a great one for us. i think we can bank on a rajon rondo or derrick rose for cheap. or maybe we sign satoransky, and the wizards grab a cheaper option? i predict ricky rubio and darren collison will sign for far less than they expect to. i say this to say i want us to go big in this draft, where i also think the most upside is. a guy like gafford doesn't shoot well, he doesn't guard smaller players, he won't be a star...and yet i feel he will be similar to clint capela for what he does well. i think gafford could contribute right away, meanwhile i think claxton has tremendous upside and should spend two years in the GLeague, after which we could have a very dynamic four on our hands.
nitocobola
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,766
And1: 674
Joined: Jul 05, 2016
 

Re: 2018-2019 College Basketball / '19 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1902 » by nitocobola » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:34 pm

who is the landry shamet of this year? :crazy:
User avatar
LloydFree
RealGM
Posts: 12,721
And1: 8,712
Joined: Aug 20, 2012
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Re: 2018-2019 College Basketball / '19 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1903 » by LloydFree » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:35 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
the_process wrote:Question of the day: is it crazy to try and trade up to get Nickeil Alexander-Walker?


Admittedly, I am woeful when it comes to understanding the cap and haven't taken the time to pick it up, but Lloyd posted about this exact topic last week when I brought it up:

I don't see the 76ers trading up in the 1st round this year. Unless they are absolutely sure they are re-signing both Butler and Tobias Harris, I don't think they want the extra guaranteed salary. I'd be willing to bet they're more likely to trade the 1st round pick, for a future pick, to save the associated Caphold. Especially since they have two 2nd round picks that are high enough to get a couple players this year.


...and I'm inclined to believe him.


If he fell to #21, I think the OKC Thunder would give you their pick for almost nothing. They're hopelessly over the luxury tax, so they'll be paying 3x the salary on the #21 pick. They'll trade that pick for 2nds in a heartbeat.

But as I said before, I don't think the 76ers will want the higher caphold associated with the #21 pick, I think they'd prefer using the #33 and #34 picks for players, because they don't count against the cap until signing.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
User avatar
LloydFree
RealGM
Posts: 12,721
And1: 8,712
Joined: Aug 20, 2012
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Re: 2018-2019 College Basketball / '19 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1904 » by LloydFree » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:12 pm

nitocobola wrote:who is the landry shamet of this year? :crazy:

Zach Norvell.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
nycphils
Ballboy
Posts: 43
And1: 35
Joined: May 26, 2019
     

Re: 2018-2019 College Basketball / '19 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1905 » by nycphils » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:15 pm

LloydFree wrote:
nitocobola wrote:who is the landry shamet of this year? :crazy:

Zach Norvell.


Dylan Windler?
kriss73
Starter
Posts: 2,160
And1: 1,189
Joined: Jul 25, 2015
       

Re: 2018-2019 College Basketball / '19 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1906 » by kriss73 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:21 pm

Read on Twitter
Adam Silver wrote:"Gross incompetence is acceptable; strategic gaming of a flawed system is not."
the_process
RealGM
Posts: 17,268
And1: 3,960
Joined: May 01, 2010

Re: 2018-2019 College Basketball / '19 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1907 » by the_process » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:24 pm

LloydFree wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
the_process wrote:Question of the day: is it crazy to try and trade up to get Nickeil Alexander-Walker?


Admittedly, I am woeful when it comes to understanding the cap and haven't taken the time to pick it up, but Lloyd posted about this exact topic last week when I brought it up:

I don't see the 76ers trading up in the 1st round this year. Unless they are absolutely sure they are re-signing both Butler and Tobias Harris, I don't think they want the extra guaranteed salary. I'd be willing to bet they're more likely to trade the 1st round pick, for a future pick, to save the associated Caphold. Especially since they have two 2nd round picks that are high enough to get a couple players this year.


...and I'm inclined to believe him.


If he fell to #21, I think the OKC Thunder would give you their pick for almost nothing. They're hopelessly over the luxury tax, so they'll be paying 3x the salary on the #21 pick. They'll trade that pick for 2nds in a heartbeat.

But as I said before, I don't think the 76ers will want the higher caphold associated with the #21 pick, I think they'd prefer using the #33 and #34 picks for players, because they don't count against the cap until signing.


Woj has already said the Thunder are going to try and package 21 for some shooting.
HartfordWhalers wrote:The Tobias Harris trade was set your pants on fire while wearing them bad at the time. And still is.
User avatar
LloydFree
RealGM
Posts: 12,721
And1: 8,712
Joined: Aug 20, 2012
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Re: 2018-2019 College Basketball / '19 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1908 » by LloydFree » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:50 pm

nycphils wrote:
LloydFree wrote:
nitocobola wrote:who is the landry shamet of this year? :crazy:

Zach Norvell.


Dylan Windler?

Dylan Windler is more of a wing. An older version of Kevin Huerter. Shamet and Norvell are more combo guards that can do some initiating on offense.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
PhilasFinest
RealGM
Posts: 14,620
And1: 3,558
Joined: Mar 13, 2007
     

Re: 2018-2019 College Basketball / '19 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1909 » by PhilasFinest » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:24 am

Im still intrigued with a Jalen McDaniels/Zhaire Smith combo off the bench.

That being said, If we can come away with 2 of McDaniels,Terrence Davis, Dedric Lawson, Lou King or Norvell and ill be very happy with the draft.

NAW is still the prize, but I think he goes top 15
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
Black Mage
Starter
Posts: 2,330
And1: 2,179
Joined: Feb 24, 2017
       

Re: 2018-2019 College Basketball / '19 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1910 » by Black Mage » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:15 am

Sixers Draft Scouting Report

This will be a series of posts in which I give my scouting breakdown on a number of players who could be available for the Sixers at their current first and second round slots. While I've gone through quite a few players, I haven't scouted every player I wanted to, looking at you Dylan Windler, so if I have time I'll try to update before the draft. Before I go into the players I wanted to give an outline for what I think the Sixers should do and how that affected the players scouted and their rankings.

I presume Jonathan Simmons is stretched and waived or traded. I presumed that the Sixers would resign both Harris and Butler at max contracts. I will also presume that the Sixers manage to bring back JJ and Scott. I also presume Shake Milton is converted over on a Hinkie deal. This limits the team's available cap space and leaves them with only 9 filled roster spots: Simmons, Butler, Harris, Embiid, JJ, Scott, Shake, Zhaire and Bolden. The league requires a team to carry a minimum of 12 active and 1 inactive and a maximum of 14 active and 1 inactive. Given the team is going to load manage Embiid a good bit next year the Sixers should carry at least 13 active and 1 inactive and they'll still have 2 open spots for 2-way contracts. That means they need at least 3 more active players and should look to add 4 more active players.

The Sixers do not have the luxury to sell picks or waste picks on bogus euro stashes (thanks BC). The one thing scouting revealed is that this draft while lacking star power at the top is unusually deep with potential role players which is a blessing for the Sixers. With that being said, they should use at least 4 of the picks this year, unless, they move picks to stock pile for the 2022 class which will allow H.S. to declare and should be one of the deepest pools of draft talent the league will ever see.

Roster construction became very important in scouting players. I initially ruled out every big man. Centers are the cheapest talent to come by in free agency and Brett has shown he strongly prefers playing a vet big over a rookie big. Getting a quality Embiid backup should be priority 1 for free agency with what little cap they have left. With the addition of Zhaire, their starting lineup is essentially set. That means the 3-4 rookies they draft need to be able to man the second unit.

Looking at how the team performed there is no question that the starting lineup is in the top 3 of the league and on most nights would get a win if the bench could just break even. At 24 and later it's highly unlikely that legitimate two-way players will be available. So the question is, which style of player should be valued over others. Players who can't shoot a lick but play above average defense were penalized because of Ben Simmons being on the roster. The team needs spacing above all else and using draft picks on purely athletic defenders would punish the team as much as help. Adding shooters who are average or below average on defense provide more value to the current roster so they got a bump up. This is also in part because adding a quality backup center and Brett's staggering of the studs should give enough defense that I think you can live with a below average or average defender. So with all this as the foundation let's get to the players ranked in order of who the Sixers should take.
Black Mage
Starter
Posts: 2,330
And1: 2,179
Joined: Feb 24, 2017
       

Re: 2018-2019 College Basketball / '19 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1911 » by Black Mage » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:15 am

Pick 24

Mfiondu Kabengele - FUS - 6'10" - 7'3" wingspan - 250 lbs

So after saying I ruled out big men the number one guy the Sixers should draft is a 6'10" player? Yep. I am not riding the bandwagon surge from the recent media. I was scouting Terrance Mann a teammate about 2 weeks or so ago when I noticed I was more intrigued by Kabengele than Mann. There were very few players whose tape made me go wow, but Kabengele's did.

He has one clearly near-elite to elite skill and it's rim protection. He combines very good body control, timing, explosion off his feet and his large wingspan to make some spectacular blocks and alter any other number of shots at the rim. He also has the awareness at times to come off his man to help or get a weak side block after a guard penetrated and beat his man. He does struggle at times with defensive awareness and his BBIQ is still growing. I don't see this as a downside as he showed growth consistently throughout last year in these areas.

What makes him special is that he has the body and athleticism to comfortably guard the 4 position and could be played at the 4 or 5. If there is any player I think Brett would play as Embiid's backup as a rookie it is Kabengele.

His shooting is above average and I believe will only continue to get better. He demonstrated the ability to hit from NBA 3 range and deeper. His motion from catch to shoot is compact and quick. He has a nice wrist flick and follow through on release. In the videos linked below you can see he is more than capable of coming down as the trailer, catching in motion and then stopping on a dime and rising into a 3. In one of the videos Kabengele fakes going inside before darting to the corner his head and upper body turned with hands ready to catch the swing pass from the guard. In one fluid motion Kabengele is setting his feet while catching the ball and then turns flush to the basket rising and making a shot at the buzzer. That's the sign of a player whose shooting fundamentals are natural or well practiced and should only improve. He shot 37% from 3 on about 3 attempts per 40 and 76% at the stripe on 9 attempts per 40. So there is some sample size concern.

Although the video attached shows quite a few hi-lights from the post, I found that his post game is still a work in progress and would probably consider it average to below average. Given his athletic ability and that he appears to be a late bloomer I wouldn't be surprised to see it improve.

His ball handling is also a work in progress and should likely be considered below average at this point. I think his main point of emphasis should be on working on a close out dribble into a jumper given his shot form is more advanced at this point. Another weak spot is his passing which he did very little of. Honestly though, per 40 he only took 16 shots a game which isn't that insane and I think concerns over him being a black hole or a ball movement killer are a bit inflated. Even so, if he's getting open looks from the Sixers ball movement Brett's always on green light would suit Kabengele just fine.

Kabengele is a perfect fit for this Sixers team. His size and athleticism would give Brett a lot of versaility in how to use him and his primary skill as a 3 point shooter on offense solves a lot of the big man issues for Simmons. I don't see any reason why Kabengele shouldn't shoot well in the NBA and having him as your 5 or 4 would create a lot of spacing. He is one of the few prospects that I would trade up to obtain. How high to trade up? 17 if necessary. Two weeks ago he was a middle to late second rounder, now mocks have him to the Sixers at 24 or to the Celtics at 14 and Hawks at 17.





FWIW here are Kabengele's Combine spot up shooting numbers:

https://stats.nba.com/draft/combine-spot-up/#!?sort=PLAYER_NAME&dir=-1
Black Mage
Starter
Posts: 2,330
And1: 2,179
Joined: Feb 24, 2017
       

Re: 2018-2019 College Basketball / '19 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1912 » by Black Mage » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:16 am

Matisse Thybulle - UW - 6'5" - reported 7' wingspan - 200 lbs

I've struggled with ranking Thybulle. He ultimately got the nod as runner-up to Kabengele because I felt he offered a lot of potential upside for a 24th overall pick more so than from his actual tape. His role would be a clear 3-D guy coming out of college.

He has elite size and athleticism. Watching him in videos all I could marvel at was how he looked like a man amongst boys. Physically he looks like an NBA player already. It felt like his arms alone ate up at least a quarter of the half court. He also displayed elite body control and hand eye coordination. His hands are lightning quick and the way he is able to contort his body or arms to reach the ball without touching the offensive player on a steal or a block is simply mesmerizing at times. His awareness of the floor and BBIQ defensively are also elite. Put simply, he should develop into an elite defender at the next level.

There is however, a small catch to Thybulle's counting numbers. UW played primarily in a zone and that scheme absolutely inflated his steals and blocks. In a defensive highlights video I couldn't help but realize that Thybulle was getting a good number of steals or blocks because he simply abandons his player to double or play a passing lane. These gambles weren't small hedges, but full on, "I don't care where my guy goes, I'm playing for the steal or block" gambles. He was able to do this because the zone was always shifting around to pick up his dropped man. It's also telling that Thybulle's abandoned cover rarely took advantage or try to get into a scoring position or cut to the basket. Thybulle will need to make a small adjustment coming into the NBA where vets will exploit that aggressiveness. I still trust Thybulle's size, speed, athleticism and instincts and think he'll be at worst an above average defender in the pros. I just had to put this caveat in here because his defense has been a bit overstated.

His last elite skill is his motor. He rarely takes a play off and is constantly keeping an eye on the ball and ready to give help defense. His motor runs hot the entire game which is great to see out of a 3-D guy whose number may not always be called on offense.

Up until this past season Thybulle has shot the college 3 at a very good 36% or better on a respectable 5 attempts per 40 mins. His free throw percentage is 78% over 4 years, but on a very small sample size of 2 attempts per 40. I would expect Thybulle's 3pt% to drop initially in the NBA as his 3's in college were often while toeing the line. His catch to release is fluid but not quick and he might feel the need to rush it with quicker NBA defenders. He'll be a functional floor spacer with upside to grow into a positive 3 point shooter.

He is also an above average passer and ball mover. He demonstrated on numerous occasions the ability to identify when to keep the ball moving into a better shot, which didn't always result in an assist but lead to one.

His ball handling is functional. He is capable of performing straight line drives and attacking a close out. He is not capable of creating his own shot or dribbling through traffic with consistency. It's definitely an area he needs to work on. He showed at times the willingness to attempt floaters and tear drops but the results weren't positive and I question his touch. Coming into the NBA he should stick to attacking the basket on close outs or using his speed on a DHO to get downhill and get to the rim quickly. He can cover a lot of space in a short time and he should use that to his advantage.

He ended up ranked #2 on my board because I see him as a larger and better shooting Marcus Smart. If you told me I could have a Marcus Smart-lite defender with a more consistent 3 and a less ball handling I'd jump for it at 24. He fell behind Kabengele because I have less concerns about Kabengele as a shooter and floor spacer and because getting a backup to Embiid is priority 1. I do worry about how he fits with Simmons offensively, but defensively they'd be a nightmare duo to opponents.
Black Mage
Starter
Posts: 2,330
And1: 2,179
Joined: Feb 24, 2017
       

Re: 2018-2019 College Basketball / '19 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1913 » by Black Mage » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:16 am

This next one many of you will think is too early for him and while I might agree, if the Sixers stand pat I would rather use the 24th pick than risk him being taken before Sixers pick again.

Carsen Edwards - Purdue - 6'0" - 6"5" wingspan - 200 lbs

I see Edwards as a poor man's Trae Young which means he'd be perfect leading a second unit as the primary scorer and you can hide his height/defensive limitations by playing him next to Simmons in the guard spot. When I started to scout I had originally written Edwards off because of his height and the defensive limitations that implied. However, watching his shooting simply overwhelmed any misgivings I had.

Edwards is an elite shooter. The range he has pulling up from off the dribble and firing without any signs of struggle or effort is on par with Young or Lillard. This guy was made to shoot and score from deep and if he was 2 or 3 inches taller I truly wonder how high up this board he'd climb. The form itself is compact, lightning quick. He took nearly 12 3's per 40 mins and everyone in the gym knew last year he was going to shoot and shoot a lot. Even knowing that defenders still struggled to get a hand up because the moment they hesitated Edwards was up into a 3 and the guard never had a chance. His motion and quick release translated in every shooting scenario, DHO, screens into pull ups, off the dribble pull ups, trailer shots and catch and shoots. Edwards also displayed the ability to nail contested threes frequently. The size of the defender did not deter or overtly hinder his ability to get the ball up. Notably, he shot 40% from three with 60% being assisted (hello Ben Simmons). He shot 45% on 2 point shots not at the rim.

I also was surprised to find that he displayed above average body control. The numbers all indicate he was a poor rim finisher and it's something he'll need to work at, but I think part of that was simply due to Purdue having lousy spacing and no other real threats to score. What I saw was a small guard agile and with very good ball handling weaving between two and three defenders. The ball may not have always gone in, but his body control and balance allowed him to thread the ball to the hoop. Spread the floor a bit more in the NBA or clear the paint a bit and I think his at the rim numbers improve. It wouldn't hurt though for him to really work on a tear drop or floater. For comparison, Trae Young's average at the rim was 52% and Edwards last year was 54%

Another surprise was his better than expected rebounding ability. Despite his size he uses his strength and motor to fight for rebounds and tracks the ball well.

Now the obvious downside. He's short and he's going to be limited defensively. The defensive struggles will primarily be with guys being able to shoot over him. He's a muscle massed 200 lbs who flashed better agility scores than another famous 6'0" guard named Chris Paul when he was tested at the combine as a rookie. However, I didn't see the agility testing scores play out on the tape and I wonder how much of that was due to Edwards saving energy because he had to carry the offensive load. There's only so much a player can give when he's asked to create 22 field goal attempts per 40 mins. His usage rate was an absurd 36-37%.

A big question mark for Edwards is his playmaking ability. He didn't show much in terms of his passing ability or ability to create for other players. I don't quite know how much of this was by design given the lack of alternative scorers or if Edwards was just a ball hog. I tend to believe it was more by design as I didn't really come upon any griping from players or coaches about the volume of shots taken by Edwards. I certainly wouldn't be surprised to find a more willing and capable passer than he has shown to date simply be being in a more structured offensive scheme and surrounded by better scoring talent.

As I stated above, Edwards is in my view a poor man's Trae Young. Young has the advantage in height, vision/passing and ball handling, but in terms of ability to shoot the ball their close to identical. We've all seen how Trae has adapted to the NBA and if we can get even a distant version of that off the bench in a Lou-Will roll then it's worth using pick 24 on him.
Black Mage
Starter
Posts: 2,330
And1: 2,179
Joined: Feb 24, 2017
       

Re: 2018-2019 College Basketball / '19 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1914 » by Black Mage » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:16 am

Guys I am down on at Pick 24

Grant Williams - Tenn - 6'7.5" - 6'9.75" wingspan - 240 lbs

Billed as a viable two-way player I just didn't see it, especially considering the roster of the Sixers. There was nothing in his tape that made me go wow and most of it was meh. I don't know if he has the athleticism to play SF in the NBA. All of his agility testing was worse than distant second round pick Louis King who boast a couple inches on him. At only 6'7.5" in height he's not tall enough to play the 4. During the game he just seems to lack verticality to affect shots. On the tape he was able to stay in front of his guys routinely only to have the player rise up and shoot over his outstretched arms.

His elite skill is his massive strength and ability to play out of the post and pass out of the post. While he does have a nice shot he doesn't have NBA 3 point range. Furthermore, pushing him out to the three point line neutralizes his elite skills from the post. Perhaps on other teams having an Al Horford-lite type player to do some two point pick and pops and run the offense through from the post is a benefit, but it's not for the Sixers. I just don't see how he meshes on a court featuring Ben Simmons and/or Joel Embiid.

Ty Jerome - UVA - 6-5" - 6'-4" wingspan (not a typo) - 194 lbs

He's has two elite skills regarding 3 point shooting and ball handling/foot work. He also has elite intangibles with his BBIQ, ability to process and see the court faster than his opponents and his leadership ability. Given he has all that and is still thought of as a fringe first rounder or likely second round pick tells you just how concerning his physical attributes are.

He has good size and absolutely horrendous length. His speed and agility are average to below average at the collegiate level. I just don't see him being able to overcome these issues. With Edwards his height is the issue defensively, you can at least see he has some semblance of speed and agility to challenge an NBA guard. With Jerome, unless his BBIQ borders on the telepathic he's going to get beat and beat badly at the point of attack. He is essentially an upgraded version of TJ McConnell. He'll give you all he has and his intangibles are great, but at the end of the day playoff guards are going to eat him up. At least for Jerome, he should be able to shoot the ball when he's left open.

Guys I'd like to scout a bit more as possible targets at 24 - Keldon Johnson, Luka Samanic, Dylan Windler and Cameron Johnson. That's all for now. I'll put out a scouting report on second round targets on guys like Schofield, Dawkins, Novel, Okeke and a few others. Hope you enjoyed the read so far.
Kolkmania
Analyst
Posts: 3,058
And1: 1,459
Joined: Feb 11, 2015

Re: 2018-2019 College Basketball / '19 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1915 » by Kolkmania » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:47 am

Black Mage wrote:Sixers Draft Scouting Report

Appreciate the effort. Evaluating/trying to guess someone's shooting development is in so many cases the determining factor.
In my case I'm willing to bet on Grant's shot and am nowhere near as confident on Kabengele's shot.

I do think that we need to try to find the best player at #24 instead of looking at our current roster deficiencies. Rookie centers do not hold up in the NBA PO unless they're elite talents or have incredible IQ.
smittybanton
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,622
And1: 368
Joined: Jul 30, 2016

Re: 2018-2019 College Basketball / '19 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1916 » by smittybanton » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:52 am

kriss73 wrote:
Read on Twitter


was hoping teams would miss on him. if gms like defense more than draft pundits, neither thybulle nor claxton will be there at #24. sigh. back to hoping we just get daniel gafford and do whatever with the other picks. gafford, lawson, ponds.
User avatar
LloydFree
RealGM
Posts: 12,721
And1: 8,712
Joined: Aug 20, 2012
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Re: 2018-2019 College Basketball / '19 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1917 » by LloydFree » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:00 pm

Black Mage wrote:Guys I am down on at Pick 24

Grant Williams - Tenn - 6'7.5" - 6'9.75" wingspan - 240 lbs

Spoiler:
Billed as a viable two-way player I just didn't see it, especially considering the roster of the Sixers. There was nothing in his tape that made me go wow and most of it was meh. I don't know if he has the athleticism to play SF in the NBA. All of his agility testing was worse than distant second round pick Louis King who boast a couple inches on him. At only 6'7.5" in height he's not tall enough to play the 4. During the game he just seems to lack verticality to affect shots. On the tape he was able to stay in front of his guys routinely only to have the player rise up and shoot over his outstretched arms.

His elite skill is his massive strength and ability to play out of the post and pass out of the post. While he does have a nice shot he doesn't have NBA 3 point range. Furthermore, pushing him out to the three point line neutralizes his elite skills from the post. Perhaps on other teams having an Al Horford-lite type player to do some two point pick and pops and run the offense through from the post is a benefit, but it's not for the Sixers. I just don't see how he meshes on a court featuring Ben Simmons and/or Joel Embiid.

Ty Jerome - UVA - 6-5" - 6'-4" wingspan (not a typo) - 194 lbs

He's has two elite skills regarding 3 point shooting and ball handling/foot work. He also has elite intangibles with his BBIQ, ability to process and see the court faster than his opponents and his leadership ability. Given he has all that and is still thought of as a fringe first rounder or likely second round pick tells you just how concerning his physical attributes are.

He has good size and absolutely horrendous length. His speed and agility are average to below average at the collegiate level. I just don't see him being able to overcome these issues. With Edwards his height is the issue defensively, you can at least see he has some semblance of speed and agility to challenge an NBA guard. With Jerome, unless his BBIQ borders on the telepathic he's going to get beat and beat badly at the point of attack. He is essentially an upgraded version of TJ McConnell. He'll give you all he has and his intangibles are great, but at the end of the day playoff guards are going to eat him up. At least for Jerome, he should be able to shoot the ball when he's left open.

Guys I'd like to scout a bit more as possible targets at 24 - Keldon Johnson, Luka Samanic, Dylan Windler and Cameron Johnson. That's all for now. I'll put out a scouting report on second round targets on guys like Schofield, Dawkins, Novel, Okeke and a few others. Hope you enjoyed the read so far.

Grant Williams isn't an NBA player. He's a classic College player. He doesn't have near the quickness or lateral movement to play SF on either end of the court. He's a PF with SG length, that will be played off the court on defense and is just 'meh' on offense.

It's a copycat league, so he owes his opportunity to get drafted to the dominance of Draymond Green. Only Draymond Green was/is significantly faster, has superior lateral movement, has over 7'1 wingspan and is a passing savant. He'll get drafted by someone who wants a name player for his fanbase and is hoping to get a reasonable facsimile of Draymond Green.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Kolkmania
Analyst
Posts: 3,058
And1: 1,459
Joined: Feb 11, 2015

Re: 2018-2019 College Basketball / '19 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1918 » by Kolkmania » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:36 pm

LloydFree wrote:
Black Mage wrote:Guys I am down on at Pick 24

Grant Williams - Tenn - 6'7.5" - 6'9.75" wingspan - 240 lbs

Spoiler:
Billed as a viable two-way player I just didn't see it, especially considering the roster of the Sixers. There was nothing in his tape that made me go wow and most of it was meh. I don't know if he has the athleticism to play SF in the NBA. All of his agility testing was worse than distant second round pick Louis King who boast a couple inches on him. At only 6'7.5" in height he's not tall enough to play the 4. During the game he just seems to lack verticality to affect shots. On the tape he was able to stay in front of his guys routinely only to have the player rise up and shoot over his outstretched arms.

His elite skill is his massive strength and ability to play out of the post and pass out of the post. While he does have a nice shot he doesn't have NBA 3 point range. Furthermore, pushing him out to the three point line neutralizes his elite skills from the post. Perhaps on other teams having an Al Horford-lite type player to do some two point pick and pops and run the offense through from the post is a benefit, but it's not for the Sixers. I just don't see how he meshes on a court featuring Ben Simmons and/or Joel Embiid.

Ty Jerome - UVA - 6-5" - 6'-4" wingspan (not a typo) - 194 lbs

He's has two elite skills regarding 3 point shooting and ball handling/foot work. He also has elite intangibles with his BBIQ, ability to process and see the court faster than his opponents and his leadership ability. Given he has all that and is still thought of as a fringe first rounder or likely second round pick tells you just how concerning his physical attributes are.

He has good size and absolutely horrendous length. His speed and agility are average to below average at the collegiate level. I just don't see him being able to overcome these issues. With Edwards his height is the issue defensively, you can at least see he has some semblance of speed and agility to challenge an NBA guard. With Jerome, unless his BBIQ borders on the telepathic he's going to get beat and beat badly at the point of attack. He is essentially an upgraded version of TJ McConnell. He'll give you all he has and his intangibles are great, but at the end of the day playoff guards are going to eat him up. At least for Jerome, he should be able to shoot the ball when he's left open.

Guys I'd like to scout a bit more as possible targets at 24 - Keldon Johnson, Luka Samanic, Dylan Windler and Cameron Johnson. That's all for now. I'll put out a scouting report on second round targets on guys like Schofield, Dawkins, Novel, Okeke and a few others. Hope you enjoyed the read so far.

Grant Williams isn't an NBA player. He's a classic College player. He doesn't have near the quickness or lateral movement to play SF on either end of the court. He's a PF with SG length, that will be played off the court on defense and is just 'meh' on offense.

It's a copycat league, so he owes his opportunity to get drafted to the dominance of Draymond Green. Only Draymond Green was/is significantly faster, has superior lateral movement, has over 7'1 wingspan and is a passing savant. He'll get drafted by someone who wants a name player for his fanbase and is hoping to get a reasonable facsimile of Draymond Green.


You're acting like the average SG weighs 240 pounds, has a wingspan of 6'9.75 and a standing reach of 8'8.5....

Body, size-wise he's bigger than Jimmy Butler, Semi Ojeleye and slightly smaller than Marcus Morris. All of them have played effective minutes at the 4, so why is it outrageous that Grant Williams could play as a forward?
User avatar
LloydFree
RealGM
Posts: 12,721
And1: 8,712
Joined: Aug 20, 2012
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Re: 2018-2019 College Basketball / '19 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1919 » by LloydFree » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:43 pm

Kolkmania wrote:
LloydFree wrote:
Black Mage wrote:Guys I am down on at Pick 24

Grant Williams - Tenn - 6'7.5" - 6'9.75" wingspan - 240 lbs

Spoiler:
Billed as a viable two-way player I just didn't see it, especially considering the roster of the Sixers. There was nothing in his tape that made me go wow and most of it was meh. I don't know if he has the athleticism to play SF in the NBA. All of his agility testing was worse than distant second round pick Louis King who boast a couple inches on him. At only 6'7.5" in height he's not tall enough to play the 4. During the game he just seems to lack verticality to affect shots. On the tape he was able to stay in front of his guys routinely only to have the player rise up and shoot over his outstretched arms.

His elite skill is his massive strength and ability to play out of the post and pass out of the post. While he does have a nice shot he doesn't have NBA 3 point range. Furthermore, pushing him out to the three point line neutralizes his elite skills from the post. Perhaps on other teams having an Al Horford-lite type player to do some two point pick and pops and run the offense through from the post is a benefit, but it's not for the Sixers. I just don't see how he meshes on a court featuring Ben Simmons and/or Joel Embiid.

Ty Jerome - UVA - 6-5" - 6'-4" wingspan (not a typo) - 194 lbs

He's has two elite skills regarding 3 point shooting and ball handling/foot work. He also has elite intangibles with his BBIQ, ability to process and see the court faster than his opponents and his leadership ability. Given he has all that and is still thought of as a fringe first rounder or likely second round pick tells you just how concerning his physical attributes are.

He has good size and absolutely horrendous length. His speed and agility are average to below average at the collegiate level. I just don't see him being able to overcome these issues. With Edwards his height is the issue defensively, you can at least see he has some semblance of speed and agility to challenge an NBA guard. With Jerome, unless his BBIQ borders on the telepathic he's going to get beat and beat badly at the point of attack. He is essentially an upgraded version of TJ McConnell. He'll give you all he has and his intangibles are great, but at the end of the day playoff guards are going to eat him up. At least for Jerome, he should be able to shoot the ball when he's left open.

Guys I'd like to scout a bit more as possible targets at 24 - Keldon Johnson, Luka Samanic, Dylan Windler and Cameron Johnson. That's all for now. I'll put out a scouting report on second round targets on guys like Schofield, Dawkins, Novel, Okeke and a few others. Hope you enjoyed the read so far.

Grant Williams isn't an NBA player. He's a classic College player. He doesn't have near the quickness or lateral movement to play SF on either end of the court. He's a PF with SG length, that will be played off the court on defense and is just 'meh' on offense.

It's a copycat league, so he owes his opportunity to get drafted to the dominance of Draymond Green. Only Draymond Green was/is significantly faster, has superior lateral movement, has over 7'1 wingspan and is a passing savant. He'll get drafted by someone who wants a name player for his fanbase and is hoping to get a reasonable facsimile of Draymond Green.


You're acting like the average SG weighs 240 pounds, has a wingspan of 6'9.75 and a standing reach of 8'8.5....

Body, size-wise he's bigger than Jimmy Butler, Semi Ojeleye and slightly smaller than Marcus Morris. All of them have played effective minutes at the 4, so why is it outrageous that Grant Williams could play as a forward?

Because not only is he undersized, he's slow.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Kolkmania
Analyst
Posts: 3,058
And1: 1,459
Joined: Feb 11, 2015

Re: 2018-2019 College Basketball / '19 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1920 » by Kolkmania » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:23 pm

LloydFree wrote:
Kolkmania wrote:
LloydFree wrote:Grant Williams isn't an NBA player. He's a classic College player. He doesn't have near the quickness or lateral movement to play SF on either end of the court. He's a PF with SG length, that will be played off the court on defense and is just 'meh' on offense.

It's a copycat league, so he owes his opportunity to get drafted to the dominance of Draymond Green. Only Draymond Green was/is significantly faster, has superior lateral movement, has over 7'1 wingspan and is a passing savant. He'll get drafted by someone who wants a name player for his fanbase and is hoping to get a reasonable facsimile of Draymond Green.


You're acting like the average SG weighs 240 pounds, has a wingspan of 6'9.75 and a standing reach of 8'8.5....

Body, size-wise he's bigger than Jimmy Butler, Semi Ojeleye and slightly smaller than Marcus Morris. All of them have played effective minutes at the 4, so why is it outrageous that Grant Williams could play as a forward?

Because not only is he undersized, he's slow.


In what aspect is he slow compared to other big wings/forwards like Ojeleye and Morris? I think his lateral slides are quite good. His hips do look stiff at times imo, but in many cases he jumps for fakes too easily which make it look worse.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers