ImageImageImage

2018-2019 College Basketball / '19 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, sixers hoops, CoreyGallagher, Sixerscan, Foshan, BullyKing

BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
Posts: 9,522
And1: 8,570
Joined: Jan 16, 2014

Re: 2018-2019 College Basketball / '19 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1961 » by BullyKing » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:18 pm

Mik317 wrote:I think that we are looking at guys who's bodies are "nba ready" more than just age wise. Dort for example is young but built like a truck.

Those types will make mistakes but it won't be due to their bodies not being ready ala Korkmaz, TLC and such.


There's also this from Brand but your interpretation is also reasonable.

Read on Twitter
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
the_process
RealGM
Posts: 17,268
And1: 3,959
Joined: May 01, 2010

Re: 2018-2019 College Basketball / '19 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1962 » by the_process » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:20 pm

That tweet from Brand makes me think they have Thybulle at the top of their wish list.
HartfordWhalers wrote:The Tobias Harris trade was set your pants on fire while wearing them bad at the time. And still is.
Negrodamus
RealGM
Posts: 12,147
And1: 4,796
Joined: Aug 05, 2004

Re: 2018-2019 College Basketball / '19 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1963 » by Negrodamus » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:27 pm

BullyKing wrote:
Mik317 wrote:I think that we are looking at guys who's bodies are "nba ready" more than just age wise. Dort for example is young but built like a truck.

Those types will make mistakes but it won't be due to their bodies not being ready ala Korkmaz, TLC and such.


There's also this from Brand but your interpretation is also reasonable.

Read on Twitter


Was he saying this in context of the draft or for the bench via FA?
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
Posts: 9,522
And1: 8,570
Joined: Jan 16, 2014

Re: 2018-2019 College Basketball / '19 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1964 » by BullyKing » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:37 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
BullyKing wrote:
Mik317 wrote:I think that we are looking at guys who's bodies are "nba ready" more than just age wise. Dort for example is young but built like a truck.

Those types will make mistakes but it won't be due to their bodies not being ready ala Korkmaz, TLC and such.


There's also this from Brand but your interpretation is also reasonable.

Read on Twitter


Was he saying this in context of the draft or for the bench via FA?


Fair question as it was part of his end of season press conference so maybe it was not about the draft. Though that seems like an odd statement to make about free agency because all the guys available there are by definition older.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
PLO
Veteran
Posts: 2,918
And1: 1,215
Joined: Aug 04, 2016
     

Re: 2018-2019 College Basketball / '19 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1965 » by PLO » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:46 pm

Mik317 wrote:starting my "deep dive" and been looking over some mocks.

CBS has us taking Kevin Porter Jr. Seems like a guy who some shot creation ability but he might be a ****?


..........sign me up.


If KPJ slips that far he would be a steal just on his upside - there's a huge chance he washes out of the league quickly but his upside is almost at Ja Morant levels. He's the most high-variance player in this draft surpassing a guy like Bol Bol in that category IMO.
LakersDynasty14 wrote:Lonzo Ball is literally on a Hall of Fame trajectory at this point. This thread is so full of fail.
Negrodamus
RealGM
Posts: 12,147
And1: 4,796
Joined: Aug 05, 2004

Re: 2018-2019 College Basketball / '19 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1966 » by Negrodamus » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:03 pm

BullyKing wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
BullyKing wrote:
There's also this from Brand but your interpretation is also reasonable.

Read on Twitter


Was he saying this in context of the draft or for the bench via FA?


Fair question as it was part of his end of season press conference so maybe it was not about the draft. Though that seems like an odd statement to make about free agency because all the guys available there are by definition older.


Perhaps he was talking about Zhaire, Shake, Furkan and Jonah being a decent portion of our bench and would like to replace one or two with an older player. Or maybe he's talking about guys in their 30s that provide vet leadership looking for a ring on a cheap contract.
Negrodamus
RealGM
Posts: 12,147
And1: 4,796
Joined: Aug 05, 2004

Re: 2018-2019 College Basketball / '19 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1967 » by Negrodamus » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:34 pm

A darkhorse, imo, could be Terence Davis because they spoke highly of him at his workout and I think has been a steady riser throughout the process. Could see him as a first rounder.
Negrodamus
RealGM
Posts: 12,147
And1: 4,796
Joined: Aug 05, 2004

Re: 2018-2019 College Basketball / '19 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1968 » by Negrodamus » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:46 pm

Read on Twitter


The five other names are interesting.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
Posts: 9,522
And1: 8,570
Joined: Jan 16, 2014

Re: 2018-2019 College Basketball / '19 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1969 » by BullyKing » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:55 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
Read on Twitter


The five other names are interesting.


I've seen the concerns about Bol Bol's injuries and commitment but that's a lottery ticket you have to play if he's there at 24.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
nycphils
Ballboy
Posts: 43
And1: 35
Joined: May 26, 2019
     

Re: 2018-2019 College Basketball / '19 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1970 » by nycphils » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:35 pm

Given the early 2nd round picks I agree - if Bol is there, have to roll the dice. Pick up maybe Edwards, Windler, Schofield in rd 2 and should be fine.
Fischella
RealGM
Posts: 13,442
And1: 2,945
Joined: Feb 11, 2012

Re: 2018-2019 College Basketball / '19 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1971 » by Fischella » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:03 pm

Grant Williams destroyed P3 metrics for strength for his age (20.5 yo)
Fischella
RealGM
Posts: 13,442
And1: 2,945
Joined: Feb 11, 2012

Re: 2018-2019 College Basketball / '19 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1972 » by Fischella » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:04 pm

PLO wrote:
Mik317 wrote:starting my "deep dive" and been looking over some mocks.

CBS has us taking Kevin Porter Jr. Seems like a guy who some shot creation ability but he might be a ****?


..........sign me up.


If KPJ slips that far he would be a steal just on his upside - there's a huge chance he washes out of the league quickly but his upside is almost at Ja Morant levels. He's the most high-variance player in this draft surpassing a guy like Bol Bol in that category IMO.

I don't really see the upside with neither him nor Bol
PLO
Veteran
Posts: 2,918
And1: 1,215
Joined: Aug 04, 2016
     

Re: 2018-2019 College Basketball / '19 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1973 » by PLO » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:39 pm

Fischella wrote:
PLO wrote:
Mik317 wrote:starting my "deep dive" and been looking over some mocks.

CBS has us taking Kevin Porter Jr. Seems like a guy who some shot creation ability but he might be a ****?


..........sign me up.


If KPJ slips that far he would be a steal just on his upside - there's a huge chance he washes out of the league quickly but his upside is almost at Ja Morant levels. He's the most high-variance player in this draft surpassing a guy like Bol Bol in that category IMO.

I don't really see the upside with neither him nor Bol


Which, to be honest, is fair. Its just relative to this class which is for my mind freaking terrible. Like I'm taking DeAnthony Melton 10 times out of 10 over these two as prospects and that is discounting Melton as an NBA player.

KPJ at least shows NBA characteristics at a projectable age. Like its awesome Hunter is - at his best - playing at NBA 9th man regular season level right now but that's probably all he'll ever amount to IMO.

This could have been a semi-decent draft if guys like Tillie had not been injured and stayed in, but sheez, overall after Zion it stinks.

Good draft to not have high picks and have a heap of true lottery picks which are after the actual lottery. The 76ers are actually in a good position for this draft if you ask me.
LakersDynasty14 wrote:Lonzo Ball is literally on a Hall of Fame trajectory at this point. This thread is so full of fail.
User avatar
stormi
Sophomore
Posts: 175
And1: 108
Joined: Jun 04, 2019
 

Re: 2018-2019 College Basketball / '19 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1974 » by stormi » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:36 pm

Give me:

24 - Bol Bol
33/34 - Okeke & Bazley
User avatar
LloydFree
RealGM
Posts: 12,716
And1: 8,707
Joined: Aug 20, 2012
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Re: 2018-2019 College Basketball / '19 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1975 » by LloydFree » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:16 pm

I have Jalen McDaniels high on my board for pick #24, but I realize he isn't going to be considered.
If Alonzo Trier didn't get drafted, for the trouble he was a part of at Arizona, that American Pie stunt McDaniels pulled in HS, will probably keep him from being drafted by anyone.

I think Mfiondu Kabengele will be gone before the #24. So I'll realistically hope for:

#24 - Bruno Fernando
#33 - Zach Norvell
#34 - Jarrell Brantley
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
kriss73
Starter
Posts: 2,160
And1: 1,189
Joined: Jul 25, 2015
       

Re: 2018-2019 College Basketball / '19 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1976 » by kriss73 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:27 pm

LloydFree wrote:I have Jalen McDaniels high on my board for pick #24, but I realize he isn't going to be considered.
If Alonzo Trier didn't get drafted, for the trouble he was a part of at Arizona, that American Pie stunt McDaniels pulled in HS, will probably keep him from being drafted by anyone.

I think Mfiondu Kabengele will be gone before the #24. So I'll realistically hope for:

#24 - Bruno Fernando
#33 - Zach Norvell
#34 - Jarrell Brantley


Replace Jarrell Brantley wth Loius King and I'm on board (if Kabengele is gone at #24)
Adam Silver wrote:"Gross incompetence is acceptable; strategic gaming of a flawed system is not."
Monix
Sophomore
Posts: 234
And1: 146
Joined: Jan 20, 2017

Re: 2018-2019 College Basketball / '19 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1977 » by Monix » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:36 pm

LloydFree wrote:I have Jalen McDaniels high on my board for pick #24, but I realize he isn't going to be considered.
If Alonzo Trier didn't get drafted, for the trouble he was a part of at Arizona, that American Pie stunt McDaniels pulled in HS, will probably keep him from being drafted by anyone.

I'll pass on a developmental guy with legit character question marks
User avatar
LloydFree
RealGM
Posts: 12,716
And1: 8,707
Joined: Aug 20, 2012
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Re: 2018-2019 College Basketball / '19 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1978 » by LloydFree » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:36 pm

kriss73 wrote:
LloydFree wrote:I have Jalen McDaniels high on my board for pick #24, but I realize he isn't going to be considered.
If Alonzo Trier didn't get drafted, for the trouble he was a part of at Arizona, that American Pie stunt McDaniels pulled in HS, will probably keep him from being drafted by anyone.

I think Mfiondu Kabengele will be gone before the #24. So I'll realistically hope for:

#24 - Bruno Fernando
#33 - Zach Norvell
#34 - Jarrell Brantley


Replace Jarrell Brantley wth Loius King and I'm on board (if Kabengele is gone at #24)

I'd take Louis King too, but I don't think he will be available. And with the 76ers wanting play now players, I doubt he'd be the pick at #24. I would take him... but I don't think they will take him.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
Posts: 29,217
And1: 11,617
Joined: Jan 25, 2005

Re: 2018-2019 College Basketball / '19 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1979 » by Sixerscan » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:38 pm

the_process wrote:That tweet from Brand makes me think they have Thybulle at the top of their wish list.


Feel like it will come out a week from now that we promised Thybulle at the combine. He fits the profile of what Brand is looking for perfectly, and if his agent has a clue he should realize it's just about the ideal situation for his client. It makes so much sense that the lack of public connection between the two sides is fishy.
User avatar
LloydFree
RealGM
Posts: 12,716
And1: 8,707
Joined: Aug 20, 2012
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Re: 2018-2019 College Basketball / '19 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1980 » by LloydFree » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:41 pm

Monix wrote:
LloydFree wrote:I have Jalen McDaniels high on my board for pick #24, but I realize he isn't going to be considered.
If Alonzo Trier didn't get drafted, for the trouble he was a part of at Arizona, that American Pie stunt McDaniels pulled in HS, will probably keep him from being drafted by anyone.

I'll pass on a developmental guy with legit character question marks

Character concerns could be an issue. But he isn't a deveopmental guy, IMO. He is more skilled and has more awareness than half the players I've seen mocked in the 1st round.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down

Return to Philadelphia 76ers