ImageImageImage

2018-2019 College Basketball / '19 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

PLO
Analyst
And1: 1,305

Re: 2018-2019 College Basketball / '19 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#521 » by PLO » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:33 am

Kobblehead wrote:I don't know what to make of DeAndre Hunter.

He looks like an NBA player, of course.

But his defensive deflection stats have taken a nose dive this year and he's still hasn't really upped his three point volume from his freshman year to now.

So 3&D? What if he's neither of those things?

It seems like the defining trait of his this season is his shotcreating/scoring.

I think scouts would be a more stressed about him offensively than on D, a lot of his scoring screams "college level dominant": I think his D will translate very well to the NBA.
LakersDynasty14 wrote:Lonzo Ball is literally on a Hall of Fame trajectory at this point. This thread is so full of fail.

shakes0 wrote:I hope they put Simmons on Trae. He'll foul him out by the 3rd quarter. plus Simmons can't stay in front of Trae. No one can.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,802

Post#522 » by Negrodamus » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:45 pm

I think a dude who will rise in the draft will be Jessie Govan, senior for Georgetown. I was enamored with him as a sophomore and he has had a decent career in DC. His game translates well to the next level as a backup center with a frame and length to defend down low, but is a very good shooter from deep (43%) and a solid FT% (76%). He's worth taking a chance in the second round, imo.

Read on Twitter

This dude is 6'11 with a 7'3 wingspan and is launching this shot like a wing.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,106

Post#523 » by Kobblehead » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:16 pm

Do you guys think Jordan Poole would be a worthy pick at the end of the 1st round?

I'm not enamored with his actual talent, but his shooting tool would be optimized on our team.

6'5" 195, no reported wingspan but by looking, could be a +3" if we're lucky.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#524 » by Negrodamus » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:27 am

Read on Twitter

Speaking of Jordan Poole.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#525 » by Kobblehead » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:49 am

More proof that Coby White is among the safest offensive bets in this draft.

I lowkey think Coby White has legit allstar potential.
PLO
Analyst

Post#526 » by PLO » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:52 am

Kobblehead wrote:More proof that Coby White is among the safest offensive bets in this draft.

I lowkey think Coby White has legit allstar potential.

Earlier in the season he reminded me of D'lo.

In 10 days time he faces up against Tre Jones which will be a telling matchup.
LakersDynasty14 wrote:Lonzo Ball is literally on a Hall of Fame trajectory at this point. This thread is so full of fail.

shakes0 wrote:I hope they put Simmons on Trae. He'll foul him out by the 3rd quarter. plus Simmons can't stay in front of Trae. No one can.
PLO
Analyst

Post#527 » by PLO » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:57 am

Michigan is obviously a stacked roster, TBH Poole didn't really stick out to me the few times I've seen them play, he seemed to be trying too hard at times and making semi-bonehead plays, but sometimes in a season the light can switch on for a player so hopefully that's what's happened with him recently.

PLO
Analyst

Post#528 » by PLO » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:35 pm

BullyKing wrote:Kobble and others, give me some Pat Bev types to keep an eye on.

Nominally a college wing defender, but he'll be defending the 1-3 in the NBA, Matisse Thybulle is the premier P4P defensive juggernaut of this draft. He's been mentioned on this thread several times through the season.

Here's a brief recent article on him at the Stepien - his stock rates this season are at all-time levels, as in he compares favourably stats wise to some players who are some of the best defenders the game has ever seen. Negrodamus likes him, and the poster Fischella alluded to he may well be a good pick up for us with our first round selection.

PLO
Analyst

Post#529 » by PLO » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:49 pm

Sad news about Killian Tillie, I thought he was one of the more solid prospects in this draft. I really want to get a developmental 3/4 type out of this draft and he was on the radar for me. I watched the second half of the Ducks/Standford game yesterday and again was impressed by Louis King, I thought he outplayed Kezie Okpala. I don't think either are lottery level guys but I'd definitely take a shot on King in the late first/early second.

He was the only guy I thought handled the aforementioned Thybulle with aplomb when the UW just pipped the Ducks recently.

Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Post#530 » by Kolkmania » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:59 pm

Kobblehead wrote:I don't know what to make of DeAndre Hunter.

He looks like an NBA player, of course.

But his defensive deflection stats have taken a nose dive this year and he's still hasn't really upped his three point volume from his freshman year to now.

So 3&D? What if he's neither of those things?

It seems like the defining trait of his this season is his shotcreating/scoring.

The lack of three point shooting is somewhat disappointing, but it's the result of more shots at the rim. He's shooting less midrange and three point shots compared to last year, while the usage rate has remained the same. If you shoot 68% at the rim it is obviously the right decision.

He's not a defensive player who creates havoc, more of a big wing who can play good man defense. The combination of his physical tools, defense and shotmaking is just intriguing to me. Not a dumb player either, nearly a 2 AST/TOV ratio.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#531 » by Kobblehead » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:29 pm

It just seems like he burst on the scene as a freshman as a guy with potential to be a dynamic defender with a very growable jumpshot.

Then once he got on the big stage as a soph, he morphed into an on-ball creator who pulls up from mid-range and slashes to the hoop and plays non-liability defense instead of impact defense.

It feels like he honed the wrong traits and became less appealing.
PLO
Analyst

Post#532 » by PLO » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:05 pm

His stocks are extremely low for a guy with his obvious defensive talent, but as mentioned above he's mainly a man defender, and an awesome one at that.

Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#533 » by Kobblehead » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:12 pm

Man defender in a league that no longer allows you play or values man-defense as much as they used to. Also, not sure how good a man defender he is either. That Duke game was a pathetic showing from him. It seemed like Barrett and Reddish took turns lighting him up. Neither of those guys are particularly efficient players, either. But when Hunter was guarding them, they looked like Kevin Durant and Klay Thompson, respectively.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,133

Post#534 » by Arsenal » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:32 pm

PLO wrote:
BullyKing wrote:Kobble and others, give me some Pat Bev types to keep an eye on.

Nominally a college wing defender, but he'll be defending the 1-3 in the NBA, Matisse Thybulle is the premier P4P defensive juggernaut of this draft. He's been mentioned on this thread several times through the season.

Here's a brief recent article on him at the Stepien - his stock rates this season are at all-time levels, as in he compares favourably stats wise to some players who are some of the best defenders the game has ever seen. Negrodamus likes him, and the poster Fischella alluded to he may well be a good pick up for us with our first round selection.

With the caveat of not having watched any college ball this season, Thybulle is the guy I want. If his shot translates, he could be the perfect switchable 3&D wing for us with the ability to defend 1-4 and wreak havoc creating defensive events, somewhat akin to a guy like Marcus Smart (not saying he'll be that good). I expect we'll need to replace our backup 2/3/4 next year as I don't expect Scott, Ennis, or J.Simmons to be back. Zhaire can take one spot, but we still need another guy.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#535 » by Kobblehead » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:08 pm

Man, Thybulle has been the same player for four years with no improvement whatsoever. I don't even think he could drop 20 in a pickup game at a YMCA.

The only teams I think he'll appeal to are the superteams that have no need for production, whatsoever. I suppose we're one of those?

He's basically a skinny version of Andre Roberson, except with some jumper projectability. So like..James Ennis-esque?

If you're sitting at the end of the 2nd round and there's nobody to sell your pick to or no foreign player to draft and stash, I guess you'd take him.

I don't really see the appeal, overall, though. I bet he'll be a wallflower in the Summer League and then end up released by his drafted team and go on to play in the G-League without being on a two-way contract.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#536 » by BullyKing » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:22 pm

Kobblehead wrote:Do you guys think Jordan Poole would be a worthy pick at the end of the 1st round?

I'm not enamored with his actual talent, but his shooting tool would be optimized on our team.

6'5" 195, no reported wingspan but by looking, could be a +3" if we're lucky.

Any thoughts on Charles Matthews? Was really impressed with him against Wisconsin.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#537 » by Kobblehead » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:31 pm

Personally, I don't view him as an NBA prospect. I could be wrong, though. He's definitely a great athlete and one of the better slashers and finishers in the Big 10. Can play good defense, at times, as well. I just think he leaves a lot to be desired from a talent/skill perspective.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#538 » by Negrodamus » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:42 pm

Kobblehead wrote:Man, Thybulle has been the same player for four years with no improvement whatsoever. I don't even think he could drop 20 in a pickup game at a YMCA.

The only teams I think he'll appeal to are the superteams that have no need for production, whatsoever. I suppose we're one of those?

He's basically a skinny version of Andre Roberson, except with some jumper projectability. So like..James Ennis-esque?

If you're sitting at the end of the 2nd round and there's nobody to sell your pick to or no foreign player to draft and stash, I guess you'd take him.

I don't really see the appeal, overall, though. I bet he'll be a wallflower in the Summer League and then end up released by his drafted team and go on to play in the G-League without being on a two-way contract.

That's very interesting to me. I mean, he's definitely not going to be a scorer at the next level, but you admit his jumper is projectable. In this current league, a guy with a 6.1 STL%, 8.1 BLK% (!) and is a projectable shooter doesn't project to be a high end role player? He can guard anyone in the back court and some 4s and has the instinct to generate deflections/turnovers. He seems like the ideal prospect for this current NBA.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#539 » by BullyKing » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:44 pm

Kobblehead wrote:Personally, I don't view him as an NBA prospect. I could be wrong, though. He's definitely a great athlete and one of the better slashers and finishers in the Big 10. Can play good defense, at times, as well. I just think he leaves a lot to be desired from a talent/skill perspective.

I think he has a limited upside but was intrigued by him as a bench option given that I think he has the makings of a good switchable defender and is not a total zero on offense.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#540 » by Kobblehead » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:57 pm

Negrodamus wrote:That's very interesting to me. I mean, he's definitely not going to be a scorer at the next level, but you admit his jumper is projectable. In this current league, a guy with a 6.1 STL%, 8.1 BLK% (!) and is a projectable shooter doesn't project to be a high end role player? He can guard anyone in the back court and some 4s and has the instinct to generate deflections/turnovers. He seems like the ideal prospect for this current NBA.

I'm completely unsure.

Thybulle could be a gem in plain sight that people were able to see way ahead of time.

Or

He could be a complete scrub and product of sports reference-era scouting overhype.

I think in this unique case, it could be the latter. At least it is for me. I like a player's sports reference page to enhance my opinion of him, not outright formulate and birth it from scratch. Personally, if I didn't see Thybulle's sports reference page, I wouldn't even have his name in my memory bank. That's an intuition red flag for me.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers