ImageImageImage

2018-2019 College Basketball / '19 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

PLO
Analyst
And1: 1,305

Re: 2018-2019 College Basketball / '19 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#581 » by PLO » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:36 pm

ProcessTrusta wrote:Take I’m going to be running with through the first 5 years of Zion Williamson’s NBA career.

He’s a chubbier Desmond Mason. I’m very proud of this take, and the amount of people who are going to disagree with it, which will make me even prouder when it turns out to be right.

He’s not going to be that good in the NBA. Take. It. To. The. Bank.

Well, I'm on the other end of the spectrum, with one caveat: I'd straight up trade 22-year-old All-Star Ben Simmons for him.
LakersDynasty14 wrote:Lonzo Ball is literally on a Hall of Fame trajectory at this point. This thread is so full of fail.

shakes0 wrote:I hope they put Simmons on Trae. He'll foul him out by the 3rd quarter. plus Simmons can't stay in front of Trae. No one can.
PLO
Analyst

Post#582 » by PLO » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:40 am

This is a cool, fairly visual, website, especially if you are time-poor and don't know much about the players in the draft but would like to: red team scouting
LakersDynasty14 wrote:Lonzo Ball is literally on a Hall of Fame trajectory at this point. This thread is so full of fail.

shakes0 wrote:I hope they put Simmons on Trae. He'll foul him out by the 3rd quarter. plus Simmons can't stay in front of Trae. No one can.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#583 » by LloydFree » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:55 pm

ProcessTrusta wrote:Take I’m going to be running with through the first 5 years of Zion Williamson’s NBA career.

He’s a chubbier Desmond Mason. I’m very proud of this take, and the amount of people who are going to disagree with it, which will make me even prouder when it turns out to be right.

I don't think he's going to be the transformational player that people seem to believe he is, but he's better than that. He isn't going to be the best player on a championship team, but he has All-star ability. I think his height will limit his ceiling. I think he could be as good as young Larry Johnson though.

Honestly, I think Cam Reddish will be the better player in 3 years, if he goes to a team with patience (not New York). I think he'll be better than both Zion and RJ Barrett.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,005

Post#584 » by Bum Adebayo » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:08 pm

PLO wrote:

Well, I'm on the other end of the spectrum, with one caveat: I'd straight up trade 22-year-old All-Star Ben Simmons for him.

Agree, I would trade Simmons for Zion, but only for Zion, no other player in the league will be better than Simmons in 2-3 years except Zion.
Horrible takes since 2016
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,089

Post#585 » by Kobblehead » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:28 pm

LloydFree wrote:Honestly, I think Cam Reddish will be the better player in 3 years, if he goes to a team with patience (not New York). I think he'll be better than both Zion and RJ Barrett.

I don't really see the upside with Reddish. I think he's going to be overdrafted.

I don't like his basketball IQ, ball handling, or aggressiveness, so I don't think he projects well on the ball. He has 3&D traits to be attractive, you just gotta wonder if those less than desirable intangibles prevent him from being a winning piece. I'd say:

High end: Terrence Ross
Mid-tier: Kelly Oubre
Low end: Ben McLemore
LloydFree
RealGM

Post#586 » by LloydFree » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:38 pm

Kobblehead wrote:
LloydFree wrote:Honestly, I think Cam Reddish will be the better player in 3 years, if he goes to a team with patience (not New York). I think he'll be better than both Zion and RJ Barrett.

I don't really see the upside with Reddish. I think he's going to be overdrafted.

I don't like his basketball IQ, ball handling, or aggressiveness, so I don't think he projects well on the ball. He has 3&D traits to be attractive, you just gotta wonder if those less than desirable intangibles prevent him from being a winning piece. I'd say:

High end: Terrence Ross

Yeah, Reddish seems to be a polarizing player. I think he'll go #4 and get "under-drafted".

Duke is using him as a catch and shoot player and under utilizing him in their system, IMO. If he were on Kentucky, I think he'd show better because Calipari would put the ball in his hands. Either way, I think he'll be a better NBA player assuming his body fills out, and he has the type of body that looks like it will hold weight properly.

High end: Paul George
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#587 » by Kobblehead » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:44 pm

You're not concerned with his lack of aggressiveness or seemingly low motor? You're attributing that to him being a 3rd banana and getting lost in the shuffle on a crowded Duke team?

I suppose that could be the case. I'm still suspicious.

In the chances on the ball that he has had, he's looked pretty terrible. He seems offbalance and uncoordinated when he pulls up. And his slashing is pitiful, as evident by his 53% finishing rate despite being 6'8" 215 pounds and with a 7'+ wingspan.

I just think there are a lot of signs pointing to Reddish being a weak pick at the top of the draft. I think he's a better toolbox than he is basketball player.
LloydFree
RealGM

Post#588 » by LloydFree » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:28 pm

Kobblehead wrote:You're not concerned with his lack of aggressiveness or seemingly low motor? You're attributing that to him being a 3rd banana and getting lost in the shuffle on a crowded Duke team?

I suppose that could be the case. I'm still suspicious.

In the chances on the ball that he has had, he's looked pretty terrible. He seems offbalance and uncoordinated when he pulls up. And his slashing is pitiful, as evident by his 53% finishing rate despite being 6'8" 215 pounds and with a 7'+ wingspan.

I just think there are a lot of signs pointing to Reddish being a weak pick at the top of the draft. I think he's a better toolbox than he is basketball player.

Yeah, Reddish has some Andrew Wiggins-ie type concerns for me too. But he's a better ballhandler and his body control waaaay better than Wiggins. His FT% is concerning, because it could be interpreted as lack of aggression. But his rebounding and steals contradict that. I just think his role in the system holds him back a bit.

I think he's better than Oubre because I think he has more Physical upside and he's better than Wiggins because he's more skilled and coordinated.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,750

Post#589 » by Negrodamus » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:39 pm

The only way Zion becomes a journeyman in the NBA is if he gets injured.... which isn't an unlikely scenario since he has a 40+ inch vert and is 260+ pounds. The beating his legs must already have is probably brutal.
ZarcMumoff
Lead Assistant
And1: 483

Post#590 » by ZarcMumoff » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:43 pm

Know there's been some discussion in here prior, but Coby White has really turned it on recently. Over the last 9 games: 18.5 PPG, 5/2.4 A/TO, 1.8 SPG, and shooting 42% from three on 7.6 attempts per game.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#591 » by Kobblehead » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:01 pm

Yeah, I think Coby White is a great prospect. He can run an offense, he can create his own shot, he can space the floor on and off the ball. I don't think it's too hard to see him becoming an allstar player.

The only real knock on him is his defense. He's no worse a defender than Collin Sexton and Trae Young were, so he'll be fine.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#592 » by Negrodamus » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:02 pm

Man, I still like Dedric Lawson. In a current NBA where explosive athletes aren't really being held at a premium as much, he fits in well as a stretch power forward.
PLO
Analyst

Post#593 » by PLO » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:28 am

Watch this first half of Pitt's Xavier Johnson, he's the best pure PG I've seen this season. Some of his play-making in the half court is high-level stuff, excellent finishing in traffic as well. He definitely has NBA-level burst and IQ, if not length. Also a real terrier on the D end, looks like a gamer.

Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#594 » by Kobblehead » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:59 am

Johnson is another guy who I'm lukewarm on.

His mid-range and finishing rates are pitiful. A lack of length or athleticism hindering his percentages? And I think he's likely to be a defensive zero.

I think he projects as a 2nd unit playmaker that can space the floor.

He's a good shooter in a shooting league, so he's a worthy draft target for that. His passing is icing on the cake.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#595 » by Negrodamus » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:29 am

Not a great matchup for Tennessee. We have the goons to go up against Tennessee's best players.
ZarcMumoff
Lead Assistant
And1: 483

Post#596 » by ZarcMumoff » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:56 am

Negrodamus wrote:Not a great matchup for Tennessee. We have the goons to go up against Tennessee's best players.

Probably something I can look up myself, but did Washington lose a good bit of weight since last year? He moves much better laterally than I remember last year.
PLO
Analyst

Post#597 » by PLO » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:17 am

Williams and Washington be like:

PLO
Analyst

Post#598 » by PLO » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:30 pm

Washington was flat out unstoppable in that game. He's an axe. Flattened Williams a few times. Williams seems like an object that is over-weighted at the top of its body - give it a nudge up there and down it falls. I'm really iffy on both players games translating to the next level, but both guys are ballers. I'm out on Herro as well, he's just too unathletic.

I thought Bone and Hagans played well. Hagans sort of moves like Shai but he is a bit plodding in some ways. Schofield probably was the best player for the Vols but he already looks like what he's going to be as an NBA player.

Johnson also was an obvious standout, he's an obvious lottery candidate.

PLO
Analyst

Post#599 » by PLO » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:30 pm

Xavier Johnson is the quickest player I've seen this year - an absolute blur at times with the ball in hand, he definitely isn't vertically athletic, not that it would matter much with his mediocre length, but good gosh he's so strong for his size. I'm not really sure if we are going to go combo guard again this year with Shamet gone, but really when you look at it we don't have a pure play-maker on the roster outside of McConnell. We should address likely the SF/Wing positions first in the draft, but we do have 4 picks, and if we do use them all that's an area I'd like to address on the roster.

Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#600 » by Negrodamus » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:33 pm

Powell heating up in the second half. About to take over this game. FS1.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers