ImageImageImage

Brett Brown: GM (4 a nite.)

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,693

Brett Brown: GM (4 a nite.) 

Post#1 » by rzzzzz » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:25 pm

By the time he was doing the presser, it felt like a Hinkie nite. a good Hinkie nite. and Brett is still ambitious about FA. so yeah, he goes back to coaching this fall. but if he keeps doing this well, i'm not sure why he can't stay in charge of operations.
Yuri Vaultin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,276

Re: Brett Brown: GM (4 a nite.) 

Post#2 » by Yuri Vaultin » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:28 pm

I really liked what Brown did. Love the Smith/Miami pick move immensely. I happen to think Smith will be the better pro than Bridges.
Props to Turbo_Zone for the sig.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant

Post#3 » by rzzzzz » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:59 pm

Yuri Vaultin wrote:I really liked what Brown did. Love the Smith/Miami pick move immensely. I happen to think Smith will be the better pro than Bridges.
definitely a homerun swing. after due diligence and opportunity.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,527

Post#4 » by 76ciology » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:27 pm

You still dont get it. Owners play a big part in decision making. U heard in the presser than Josh Harris was part of the group that decided the deal. I actually kind of get an impression that it was Josh who brought it up and the group approved it, but i could be wrong.

All these have a common fingerprint since day 1. Getting stars whatever the risk and building a team that can play in june. Then trying to kick the can (aka optionality) whenever we can't capitalize for a star.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,721

Post#5 » by the_process » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:38 pm

Brett said point blank when the offer from PHX came in, they put it on the board and discussed it; then Josh looked at Brett for the final decision.

Glad to know Brett the GM was able to keep the big picture in sight.
Samson
Assistant Coach
And1: 243

Post#6 » by Samson » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:20 pm

Owners get involved all the time-

;t=385s

Tune in to ~ 6:20 - 6:24ish.

I'm not sayin, I'm just sayin.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#7 » by LloydFree » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:36 pm

GM performance: B

1. I hate that he had Mikal Bridges as his #1 target, over some much better players.
2. I love that he wasn't afraid to trade the hometown guy (or take the predictable backlash from the "mouth-breathers" on talk radio, for the move).
3. I love that he didn't get so caught up on the needs for today, that he didn't look out for the future, by getting and extra 1st for a future trade.
4. I hated that he allowed Boston to get Robert Williams (who was the best player on the board by far at #26) when we have a glaring need at backup Center.
5. I like that he used the #38 and 39 to get three (3) likely decent future 2nd rounders, instead of selling them or flushing them on Euro-stashes.
6. I like that he actually got a good prospect by trading the seemingly useless #56 and #60 pick.

I didn't agree with his board or his valuation of the players (but then again I'm not at the workouts) but I agreed with the logic on everything he did except for passing on Robert Williams. Grade: B.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
LordCovington33
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,662

Post#8 » by LordCovington33 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:25 am

What were the second round picks we got for K Thomas? Searched but came up empty.
XDevilBoiX
Head Coach
And1: 2,481

Post#9 » by XDevilBoiX » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:39 am

LordCovington33 wrote:What were the second round picks we got for K Thomas? Searched but came up empty.

2 future 2nd rd picks from Det
XtremeDunkz
General Manager
And1: 6,826

Post#10 » by XtremeDunkz » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:47 am

One thing I will say is Josh Harris gets a bad rep for no reason. He has been a great owner outside of the Adam Silver pressure.
10/27/16
Nemesis21 wrote:It is absolutely hilarious hearing people still say Embiid has superstar potential.The guy is one injury away from being Greg Oden.:lol: Except Oden manged to play over 100 games in the NBA, I don't think Embiid will play more.
Simmons25
Analyst
And1: 2,235

Post#11 » by Simmons25 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:32 am

Of course the owners have a say... you'd have to be insane to think otherwise but that's not really the point. At the end of the day the GM is the one that is hired and fired based on the choices they make. Owners have their say but the bad owners (like Vivek at Sacramento) overrule GMs and coaches. Owners don't have time to scout players... they are usually extremely busy running multiple companies and more than 1 interest... and most have never picked up a basketball in competition in their lives... suddenly they are talent identification experts?. Owners that overrule GMs are just RealGM wannabe scouts but with money.

As for Brett Browns performance... well the problem with coaches being GMs (Look at Van Gundy) is that they pick players as GM that will help them win the next year as a coach so they can keep their job... rather than doing what is best for the team's future 3-5 years from now. It would have been very easy for Brett Brown to have done that and kept Bridges a guy that could have helped him next year... but instead he opted for the guy that probably won't but could potentially be a star in 4 years.

That to me was the most impressive thing about Brown as a GM. He was able to separate that from his role as coach.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by rzzzzz » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:01 pm

i wonder if, after the workouts, Brett really preferred 1b to 1a, but 10 was too high to grab Smith, and the whole Mikal story and fit were too obvious to fight the general perception. but Brett did say, weeks before draft night, that he saw free agency as the next step in the team's progression. i kinda doubt he just sat back after the first pick and was surprised by what was offered. i think he knew exactly what he wanted, a desirable draft pick that could be used in a trade, specifically to SA, and a reason to swap back to 16, where no one could argue that it was too much of a reach grabbing the young prospect he really wants to try and develop. trading Mikal at that point was cold, but not exactly a crime on draft night. maybe we lost a much more reliable rotation guy for next year's playoffs. but Brett see "star chasing" as a more productive course at this point in the Process. and he just got 2 more shots at it.
cool93
Analyst
And1: 1,992

Post#13 » by cool93 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:47 pm

It's so obvious now that BB has that same "championship or bust" mentality. It was such a great fit with Hinkie. Damn you Silver.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,009

Post#14 » by Bum Adebayo » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:08 pm

Not being afraid to trade the hometown guy was a pleasant surprise for me, going against this BS called "consensus" feels good.
Great takes since 2024-04-20
LloydFree
RealGM

Post#15 » by LloydFree » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:46 pm

It showed guts to do that trade, but for Brett Brown's sake, I hopethat Zhaire Smith is a Superstar in Summer league. On the two Philadelphia sports stations, every listener was calling for Brown's head for the last two days.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
sixers78
Senior
And1: 116

Post#16 » by sixers78 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:43 pm

LloydFree wrote:It showed guts to do that trade, but for Brett Brown's sake, I hop that Zhaire Smith is a Superstar in Summer league. On the two Philadelphia sports stations, every listener was calling for Brown's head for the last two days.

I'm not happy about our draft but I'm not shocked we ended up with Smith. I mean prior to the draft Knox/Smith had second workouts. We knew what that meant that barring trade up one of these two players would end up Sixers. Given Mikal was being projected to go before 10. So I prepared to see one of these kids. That said the callers can't be that up in arms like we passed up Ayton, Luka, JJJ. We picked 10. Granted we did have a golden opportunity at MJP whom I wanted to take a risk on. It's not like we picked at a spot that could have changed the franchise and we tricked it off. Trading back and taking a guy who was already on the radar prior to the draft while adding an unprotected first rd pick isn't that bad. At least not bad where Brown head should be on a platter.

Who or what was expected of Brown from sports radio fans? I don't listen to sports stations, just curious what they wanted done.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#17 » by Sixerscan » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:01 pm

sixers78 wrote:
LloydFree wrote:It showed guts to do that trade, but for Brett Brown's sake, I hop that Zhaire Smith is a Superstar in Summer league. On the two Philadelphia sports stations, every listener was calling for Brown's head for the last two days.

I'm not happy about our draft but I'm not shocked we ended up with Smith. I mean prior to the draft Knox/Smith had second workouts. We knew what that meant that barring trade up one of these two players would end up Sixers. Given Mikal was being projected to go before 10. So I prepared to see one of these kids. That said the callers can't be that up in arms like we passed up Ayton, Luka, JJJ. We picked 10. Granted we did have a golden opportunity at MJP whom I wanted to take a risk on. It's not like we picked at a spot that could have changed the franchise and we tricked it off. Trading back and taking a guy who was already on the radar prior to the draft while adding an unprotected first rd pick isn't that bad. At least not bad where Brown head should be on a platter.

Who or what was expected of Brown from sports radio fans? I don't listen to sports stations, just curious what they wanted done.

As Spike said on the Ricky, people don't watch much college basketball, but they watch Villanova. So they saw Bridges play and know he's good, whereas they don't know about Zhaire. It's not unlike when we traded MCW for the Lakers pick in the first place, actually.
Young22
Sophomore
And1: 43

Post#18 » by Young22 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:39 pm

Loved our draft night, I was a little upset at first. The Mikal pick was just too safe for me. I feel like where we are as a franchise we had to swing for the fences, I wanted MPJ but the trade is just too good not to love it.

It feels like a good first step towards getting back on track to the “Process”. That fraud BC brought nothing to the table but a banged up Fultz or whatever is wrong with him. And I’m a Fultz guy
LloydFree
RealGM

Post#19 » by LloydFree » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:58 pm

sixers78 wrote:

They wanted the 76ers to do what they did the last two years, pick the guys that the radio hosts told them were the best players. This season was nearly as bad as previous seasons because the guy played for Villanova (and has a Cousin that hosts a show) and was the only one that the locals saw play. If that same guy played for Georgetown or Syracuse, they wouldn't have batted an eye. But Brown lost a LOT of local support with this move and he's gonna hear it if the team has any struggles.
Black Mage
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,580

Post#20 » by Black Mage » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:59 pm

I'm content with how the Team managed the draft. If their scouting had Zhaire and Mikal neck and neck and they drove a hard bargain to give up Mikal that resulted in the Suns trade then they did a very good job.

Whether we agree Zhaire should be neck and neck to Mikal or Shamet is a scouting issue, not a GM one. They managed their board and did a good job gathering assets rather than wasting picks on useless overseas players.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers