ImageImageImage

First time visit to Philly and watching an NBA game

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

bubba chucks
Sophomore
And1: 1

Re: First time visit to Philly and watching an NBA game 

Post#21 » by bubba chucks » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:11 pm

My first trip was last year, from germany. I also flew to see the sixers ans also saw a game against the jazz and blazers.

I would recommend you to go to the top of city hall and the liberty observation deck. You have a stunning view over the city!

Estern State Penetentiary was also very nice!
Philly for championship
bball4life
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,262

Post#22 » by bball4life » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:09 pm

bigheadburton wrote:Hey, everyone thanks for all the great tips. Now I have started my trip and will arrive in Philadelphia tomorrow. I definitely know where to eat cheese steaks (Dalessandro’s, Cosmi’s deli or Jim's on south street) and go for a beer or two after all of your good advice. My timing turned out to be perfect with the Butler trade, attending his first game at home should be a fun experience.

On my list of sights to see I have Museum of Art, Franklin Institute, Constitution Center, Independence Hall, Liberty Bell, Carpenters Hall, Battleship New Jersey, Eastern State Penitentiary and the Masonic temple.

If I have time over I might go to Valley Forge, is it worth a visit? Or maybe take a walk in Wissahickon Valley Park.

Since I stay in CC I will mostly walk around and see where my feet take me, Olde city, Chinatown, Reading market, Italian market etc. Should be able to find a lot of other interesting stuff as well.

Thanksgiving parade, yay or nay?

I thought Valley Forge was just OK. You'll get to see the house where Washington hung out (from the outside), and some recreated wooden cabins, and not a lot else. Its a nice walk through some rolling hills though if that's your thing. Compared to other sites like Gettysburg its lacking in my opinion.

As far as the parade, its a pretty big deal if you're into that sort of thing. I could care less about parades so I'd never go but if you like marching bands and floats it wont disappoint.

If you like art, you should absolutely try to hit up the Barnes Foundation. One of the best private collections of art in the world: Renoir, Cézanne, Matisse, Picasso, Van Gogh etc. https://www.barnesfoundation.org
bigheadburton
Junior
And1: 115

Post#23 » by bigheadburton » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:28 pm

bball4life wrote:
bigheadburton wrote:Hey, everyone thanks for all the great tips. Now I have started my trip and will arrive in Philadelphia tomorrow. I definitely know where to eat cheese steaks (Dalessandro’s, Cosmi’s deli or Jim's on south street) and go for a beer or two after all of your good advice. My timing turned out to be perfect with the Butler trade, attending his first game at home should be a fun experience.

On my list of sights to see I have Museum of Art, Franklin Institute, Constitution Center, Independence Hall, Liberty Bell, Carpenters Hall, Battleship New Jersey, Eastern State Penitentiary and the Masonic temple.

If I have time over I might go to Valley Forge, is it worth a visit? Or maybe take a walk in Wissahickon Valley Park.

Since I stay in CC I will mostly walk around and see where my feet take me, Olde city, Chinatown, Reading market, Italian market etc. Should be able to find a lot of other interesting stuff as well.

I thought Valley Forge was just OK. You'll get to see the house where Washington hung out (from the outside), and some recreated wooden cabins, and not a lot else. Its a nice walk through some rolling hills though if that's your thing. Compared to other sites like Gettysburg its lacking in my opinion.

As far as the parade, its a pretty big deal if you're into that sort of thing. I could care less about parades so I'd never go but if you like marching bands and floats it wont disappoint.

If you like art, you should absolutely try to hit up the Barnes Foundation. One of the best private collections of art in the world: Renoir, Cézanne, Matisse, Picasso, Van Gogh etc. https://www.barnesfoundation.org

Yeah sounds like I'll skip Valley Forge. And we don't really do parades much back home so I'll probably go watch it just for the novelty.

Barnes foundation sounds nice, but I went to the Philadelphia Museum of Art today and there is only so much art I can look at. But it might be a good option towards the end of my stay.

First day has been good so far but I could do without this weather :-?
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,046

Post#24 » by Sixerscan » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:38 pm

bigheadburton wrote:
bball4life wrote:

Yeah sounds like I'll skip Valley Forge. And we don't really do parades much back home so I'll probably go watch it just for the novelty.

Barnes foundation sounds nice, but I went to the Philadelphia Museum of Art today and there is only so much art I can look at. But it might be a good option towards the end of my stay.

First day has been good so far but I could do without this weather :-?

Barnes is great, meant to recommend it.

Man you really got a great game to go to! Should be a playoff atmosphere with it being the Jazz and Butler's home debut.
XDevilBoiX
Head Coach
And1: 2,481

Post#25 » by XDevilBoiX » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:51 am

So jealous of you, playoff atmosphere basketball and Jimmy’s debut at home. What more can you ask for.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers