Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,474

Re: Welcome Jimmy Butler 

Post#1101 » by youngcrev » Sun Jan 6, 2019 4:57 pm

sixerswillrule wrote:
youngcrev wrote:This popped up in my feed and made me laugh:

With Jimmy Butler now having issues with Philly do the Heat have a second chance to get him? Butler and the 76ers were a weird fit to begin with considering he wanted to be the No. 1 option. I think Wayne Ellington, Dion Waiters or Kelly Olynyk, and either Rodney McGruder or a second round pick could get a deal done. Butler's trade value is probably much lower now.

That's from a mailbag article from Miami writer Ira Winderman (never heard of him). Just a good reminder that our local guys actually do a pretty nice job.

Just some delusional Heat fan.

Agreed on the delusional part, but he's an actual newspaper beat writer
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,595

Post#1102 » by sixerswillrule » Sun Jan 6, 2019 5:00 pm

youngcrev wrote:
sixerswillrule wrote:
youngcrev wrote:This popped up in my feed and made me laugh:

That's from a mailbag article from Miami writer Ira Winderman (never heard of him). Just a good reminder that our local guys actually do a pretty nice job.

It was a question from a fan included by the writer in his article.
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#1103 » by youngcrev » Sun Jan 6, 2019 6:20 pm

sixerswillrule wrote:
youngcrev wrote:
sixerswillrule wrote:

It was a question from a fan included by the writer in his article.

You're right, I was thrown because it was 2 questions paired together. Classic "stopped reading the article/only read the headline" thing that annoys me when other people do it, so my bad. It was just so dumb I had to stop there after my faulty assumption
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,563

Post#1104 » by 76ciology » Mon Jan 7, 2019 4:39 am

76ciology wrote:
XtremeDunkz wrote:
Mik317 wrote: both are terrible fits w/ Embiid

Yeah hasn't there been enough evidence the 2 big thing doesn't work.

Except that both AD and KAT can shoot like a wing. Having one of them also allows biid to step out with one of them being able to protect the rim.

Dunno. But Bolden and Holmes worked well with Embiid. While as much as I want a first tier level wing in return, I dont see anyone available.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Post#1105 » by Kolkmania » Mon Jan 7, 2019 8:56 am

76ciology wrote:
76ciology wrote:
XtremeDunkz wrote:
Yeah hasn't there been enough evidence the 2 big thing doesn't work.

Except that both AD and KAT can shoot like a wing. Having one of them also allows biid to step out with one of them being able to protect the rim.

Dunno. But Bolden and Holmes worked well with Embiid. While as much as I want a first tier level wing in return, I dont see anyone available.

Bolden and Holmes work because they're energy guys who have extremely low usage rates and basically feed off second chances and run the floor. Would be quite the waste if you give AD or KAT a similar role ;).
mithrandir17
Veteran
And1: 1,609

Post#1106 » by mithrandir17 » Mon Jan 7, 2019 9:13 am

Kolkmania wrote:
76ciology wrote:
76ciology wrote:

Bolden and Holmes work because they're energy guys who have extremely low usage rates and basically feed off second chances and run the floor. Would be quite the waste if you give AD or KAT a similar role ;).

We are using Butler like RoCo, so this will not be new to us. :D
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1107 » by 76ciology » Mon Jan 7, 2019 11:00 am

Kolkmania wrote:
76ciology wrote:
76ciology wrote:

AD and DMC were able to get their numbers. Jimmy can have the same usage as Jrue. We'd be like a way better version of Pels.

If you trade for Kemba or added LeBron, you'd say the same thing how Jimmy or Ben will be have to play a reduced role.

Again, it's not ideal but there is hardly any superstar wing or guard available for trade. I think a deal for AD or KAT for Ben is doable.

When you think about it, you know you're in the path to build a superteam when you have these type of problems. They said the same thing with the Heatles, Celts big 3 and KD + 73 win warriors.

P.S. AD-DMC's close to the basket PnR was money (similar to the Ben-Biid PnR) and I can see it being more lethal with Embiid and AD.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
gioporel
Ballboy
And1: 8

Post#1108 » by gioporel » Mon Jan 7, 2019 12:26 pm

kingofthecourt67 wrote:
gioporel wrote:
kingofthecourt67 wrote:
1. Embiid, Simmons, RoCo, TJ, Shamet are all young guys who have developed under Brown.
2. 0 game management? Yet he led us to a 50 win season last year and on track for another one this year while dealing with crisis after crisis with freak injuries and perpetual integration of new pieces.
3. It's pretty obvious we have a system. I addressed the teaching aspect above. Every players loves playing for Coach Brown. They seem pretty confident to me.

:D :D :D :D The defensive troops are moving.

I invite you to explain why you disagree with what I'm saying.

Really? Should I reply to someone saying that Shamet has developed under Brown? Are you serious?
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#1109 » by VDT » Mon Jan 7, 2019 12:34 pm

Having two max contracts at PF and C is a waste of money (and really Davis and Towns are more Cs in today's game). The Sixers should also stay clear of diminutive pgs like Kemba. If you are going to trade Simmons it should be for an elite wing player but Leonard might have been the best possibility we are going to get in the next years, although even with him there were a lot of questions regarding his health and his willingness to re-sign.

Its hard to find a good match. If you try to trade Simmons everyone is going to lowball you so you would want to trade with a team that doesnt have much leverage like the Pelicans or the Spurs last year. At this time there is no team with a superstar wing in such a position and i am not sure there will be one in the near future.
Tomjas
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,173

Post#1110 » by Tomjas » Mon Jan 7, 2019 1:21 pm

VDT wrote:Having two max contracts at PF and C is a waste of money (and really Davis and Towns are more Cs in today's game). The Sixers should also stay clear of diminutive pgs like Kemba. If you are going to trade Simmons it should be for an elite wing player but Leonard might have been the best possibility we are going to get in the next years, although even with him there were a lot of questions regarding his health and his willingness to re-sign.

Its hard to find a good match. If you try to trade Simmons everyone is going to lowball you so you would want to trade with a team that doesnt have much leverage like the Pelicans or the Spurs last year. At this time there is no team with a superstar wing in such a position and i am not sure there will be one in the near future.

Simmons is one of the most valuable contracts in the NBA

Would require abject incompetence for the Sixers to accept a lowball offer to trade him atm
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#1111 » by LloydFree » Mon Jan 7, 2019 2:03 pm

Any GM that trades Ben Simmons for Kemba Walker, is a shortsighted fool, and should be fired on the spot.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#1112 » by youngcrev » Mon Jan 7, 2019 2:23 pm

76ciology wrote:
Kolkmania wrote:
76ciology wrote:

AD and DMC were able to get their numbers. Jimmy can have the same usage as Jrue. We'd be like a way better version of Pels.

If you trade for Kemba or added LeBron, you'd say the same thing how Jimmy or Ben will be have to play a reduced role.

Again, it's not ideal but there is hardly any superstar wing or guard available for trade. I think a deal for AD or KAT for Ben is doable.

When you think about it, you know you're in the path to build a superteam when you have these type of problems. They said the same thing with the Heatles, Celts big 3 and KD + 73 win warriors.

P.S. AD-DMC's close to the basket PnR was money (similar to the Ben-Biid PnR) and I can see it being more lethal with Embiid and AD.

The Pelicans were more effective with Mirotic than with Cousins. It's not so much that AD/Embiid couldn't work, you just likely get some major diminishing returns in trying to work an offense around the 2 of them. It would be a situation where your whole is less than the sum of your parts.

Then again, it's not like Ben and Jo are a seamless fit either, and similar to what they do with those 2, you would stagger your lineups to give each guy as much time as the focal point as possible.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,838

Post#1113 » by Negrodamus » Mon Jan 7, 2019 3:56 pm

LloydFree wrote:Any GM that trades Ben Simmons for Kemba Walker, is a shortsighted fool, and should be fired on the spot.

As Ben starts to shoot more mid-range shots, the narrative will move from "he needs to at least shoot!" to "he's not hitting those shots at a high enough percentage".
downtownpie
Pro Prospect
And1: 399

Post#1114 » by downtownpie » Tue Jan 8, 2019 12:44 am

where does the KAT talk come from? he isn't playing with Embiid.
ivysixer2000
General Manager
And1: 2,040

Post#1115 » by ivysixer2000 » Tue Jan 8, 2019 2:11 am

phillynative wrote:So now that Brett has admitted that Butler wants to be in more P&R situations will he insert them? It's more than reasonable.

Play Butler and Embiid more and Ben more with Reddick

Nice idea, but its BB, won't happen.

I figure he will run P&R even less now cause he is that stubborn.....hope I'm wrong.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,731

Post#1116 » by the_process » Tue Jan 8, 2019 2:50 am

ivysixer2000 wrote:
phillynative wrote:So now that Brett has admitted that Butler wants to be in more P&R situations will he insert them? It's more than reasonable.

Play Butler and Embiid more and Ben more with Reddick

Nice idea, but its BB, won't happen.

I figure he will run P&R even less now cause he is that stubborn.....hope I'm wrong.

Yeah, I'm not sure Brett is going to change much, either.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,845

Post#1117 » by Mik317 » Tue Jan 8, 2019 4:51 am

we ran more PNR for Jimmy in the last game he played. like 5 times in a row to start the Clippers game
#NeverGonnaBeGood
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1118 » by 76ciology » Tue Jan 8, 2019 8:21 am

Read on Twitter
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1119 » by 76ciology » Tue Jan 8, 2019 3:09 pm

The more I think about it, I think Jimmy did the right move by challenging Brett.

I'd guess Jimmy's position is more like "you need to change things up for this can't continue" which coincides after our poor play against Raps and Celts where we didnt look like we upgraded our team at all.

And think it on Jimmy's side. They traded for you but result stayed the same. That should sting for you i guess
gdog2004
Starter
And1: 706

Post#1120 » by gdog2004 » Tue Jan 8, 2019 6:42 pm

Is Jimmy playing tonight ? He has not played a game since his comments.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers