ImageImageImage

Welcome Jimmy Butler

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

kio80
Sixth Man
And1: 1,076

Re: Welcome Jimmy Butler 

Post#1181 » by kio80 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:03 am

I hope everything works out with butler, I really do, but I don’t see the 6ers winning a championship this year and giving a max to a 30 year old, who seems to be declining is a bad idea.
I smell John Wall/ Chris Paul contracts.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,938

Post#1182 » by Foshan » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:07 am

kio80 wrote:I hope everything works out with butler, I really do, but I don’t see the 6ers winning a championship this year and giving a max to a 30 year old, who seems to be declining is a bad idea.
I smell John Wall/ Chris Paul contracts.....

Well, the plus side is, there was an article a while back that the Sixers went into this eyes wide open, that if it didn't work they would cut bait rather than feel forced to sign him to a bad deal...

now whether that is true or not remains to be seen :D
KrazySixersD
General Manager
And1: 1,008

Post#1183 » by KrazySixersD » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:01 pm

i agree anyone wanting to trade butler for all this trash from other teams especially the lakers trash is CLUELESS

we spent all this time trying to get our 3rd star, we got him, and now people want to ship him

what people STILL DONT REALIZE, is we have a brett brown problem, not a butler problem... butler is the one that seems incapable of running a PnR with one of the better PnR players in the league... he seems incapable of figuring out how to use one of the better iso players in the game

this team is better WITH jimmy than it was before him, by a good amount I would say... with a better coach this team plus 20 to 30 mill in cap space this summer is exactly what we should all want

but hey... lets go get kuzma and hart for butler LLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
Benfitnyc
Junior
And1: 119

Post#1184 » by Benfitnyc » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:30 pm

KrazySixersD wrote:i agree anyone wanting to trade butler for all this trash from other teams especially the lakers trash is CLUELESS

we spent all this time trying to get our 3rd star, we got him, and now people want to ship him

what people STILL DONT REALIZE, is we have a brett brown problem, not a butler problem... butler is the one that seems incapable of running a PnR with one of the better PnR players in the league... he seems incapable of figuring out how to use one of the better iso players in the game

this team is better WITH jimmy than it was before him, by a good amount I would say... with a better coach this team plus 20 to 30 mill in cap space this summer is exactly what we should all want

but hey... lets go get kuzma and hart for butler LLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

You meant to type Brown :D
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,593

Post#1185 » by sixerswillrule » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:56 am

kio80
Sixth Man
And1: 1,076

Post#1186 » by kio80 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:13 am

KrazySixersD wrote:i agree anyone wanting to trade butler for all this trash from other teams especially the lakers trash is CLUELESS

If Jimmy does not want a 5 year max deal in the end of the season, say willing to accept a 3 + 1, I am all for it.
But it is very possible that he will walk if philly doesn’t offer him a 5 year max.
Think long term, don’t be so shortsighted, it is much better to have a young core to compete for a longer time than to have a star who is declining and using up your cap space.
Kuzma, Hart and zubac are all young and very very good players, take jimmy out of the equation, and we actually got those 3 guys with rookie contracts from saric and Covington, I’d call that a win.

Calling other people clueless and typing LOL many times does not strengthen your argument, it in facts make you look dumb and high.

kriss73
Analyst
And1: 1,811

Post#1187 » by kriss73 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:43 am

We'll need Jimmy coming playoff time, his skills and his intangibles. Book it. You should hope he re-sign and he keeeps on learnig to play with Joel and Ben, as he displayed tonight vs the Lakers.
Adam Silver wrote:"Gross incompetence is acceptable; strategic gaming of a flawed system is not."
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Post#1188 » by Kolkmania » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:43 am

Yet we're 5th in the league in offensive rating since the Butler trade, this includes a period of integration and getting used to each other (which is probably still the case). We've seen a massive increase in USG% and even some point Jimmy last night.

So what would you propose to do? Who would you sign as our head coach in the middle of the season?
51X3RF4N
Lead Assistant
And1: 935

Post#1189 » by 51X3RF4N » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:13 am

Point Jimmy is a fantastic evolution in my opinion.

If we can use Jimmy for 10 minutes per game as a PG, not only will it get him into the flow of the offense more but it will also increase his understanding of the system and why/how we run it. And it allows us to Target other areas of need in the trade market.

Not to mention keeps Ben on the floor as a PF working out of the high and low post.

Then, when Jimmy feels comfortable in that role, he can start to set himself up for more ISO opportunities with the ball already in his hands. And the PNR with JoJo will only get better and better.
Your Future Sixers

C- Embiid/?
PF- ?/?
SF- ?/?
SG- ?/?
PG- ?/?
Ben Simmons
Starter
And1: 1,077

Post#1190 » by Ben Simmons » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:17 pm

Jimmy Butler fits perfectly because he can create his own shots (great driver and pull-up), plus he can spread the floor (very good 3-point-shooter) and his defense is amazing and leads to more fast-breaks!
Kolkmania
Analyst

Post#1191 » by Kolkmania » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:33 pm

sixerswillrule wrote:

The whole "I don't regret anything, these decisions make me who I am" thing is so dumb. Learning from previous (mis)judgements can improve you as a person, however you have to recognize whether you've made a poor decision in the first place.

I do empathize for guys like Jimmy who are constantly under a microscope. It must be exhausting to see that every sentence is taken out of context in the media.
spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 5,986

Post#1192 » by spikeslovechild » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:35 pm

Heidi4Ben wrote:Jimmy Butler fits perfectly because he can create his own shots (great driver and pull-up), plus he can spread the floor (very good 3-point-shooter) and his defense is amazing and leads to more fast-breaks!

Except he doesn't. That Embiid play last night sort of encapsulates things he was wide open but didn't want to take the shot. He's shooting 2.9 3's a game. Embiid is averaging 3.9
Ben Simmons
Starter
And1: 1,077

Post#1193 » by Ben Simmons » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:41 pm

spikeslovechild wrote:
Heidi4Ben wrote:Jimmy Butler fits perfectly because he can create his own shots (great driver and pull-up), plus he can spread the floor (very good 3-point-shooter) and his defense is amazing and leads to more fast-breaks!

Except he doesn't. That Embiid play last night sort of encapsulates things he was wide open but didn't want to take the shot. He's shooting 2.9 3's a game. Embiid is averaging 3.9

but what does it means when people say a player can "spread the floor"?
i thought it meant he's a threat from downtown, not that he has to attempt a lot, just that he's a .388 downtowner so the defense has to spread....
whereas defense doesn't have to cover Embiid outside, because they know he's only .310!
KrazySixersD
General Manager

Post#1194 » by KrazySixersD » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:04 pm

Kolkmania wrote:

Yet we're 5th in the league in offensive rating since the Butler trade, this includes a period of integration and getting used to each other (which is probably still the case). We've seen a massive increase in USG% and even some point Jimmy last night.

So what would you propose to do? Who would you sign as our head coach in the middle of the season?

jimmy had 9 shots last night... 9... and atleast 5 of those were off steal fast breaks where he just got an ally dunk or layup.. that means about 4 shots in the half court last night.. and that has been pretty common in most games.. that is a problem idc if we won

what people still fail to realize is when we play in the playoffs and teams clamp down, having jimmy sit in a corner is not going to work.. he is not going to get easy back doors or easy leak outs like when playing **** teams in the regular season

I like the idea of jimmy handling the ball as point more, but it didnt seem to result in him getting more shots

would I fire brown now at this second? no probably not, but if we have another 1st or 2nd round exit I am 100% going in a different direction
KrazySixersD
General Manager

Post#1195 » by KrazySixersD » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:05 pm

kio80 wrote:

If Jimmy does not want a 5 year max deal in the end of the season, say willing to accept a 3 + 1, I am all for it.
But it is very possible that he will walk if philly doesn’t offer him a 5 year max.
Think long term, don’t be so shortsighted, it is much better to have a young core to compete for a longer time than to have a star who is declining and using up your cap space.
Kuzma, Hart and zubac are all young and very very good players, take jimmy out of the equation, and we actually got those 3 guys with rookie contracts from saric and Covington, I’d call that a win.

Calling other people clueless and typing LOL many times does not strengthen your argument, it in facts make you look dumb and high.

calling hart and zubic very very good players does in fact make you clueless about what a very very good player is

butler is a very very good player

zubic and hart are NOT very very good players

like... i dont even know what to even respond to you with if you think that
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,509

Post#1196 » by 76ciology » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:36 pm

Read on Twitter

We're just scratching the surface
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
agiaco
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#1197 » by agiaco » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:39 pm

Jimmy looked excellent last night. Didn't force anything either.
Kolkmania
Analyst

Post#1198 » by Kolkmania » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:33 pm

KrazySixersD wrote:
Kolkmania wrote:

jimmy had 9 shots last night... 9... and atleast 5 of those were off steal fast breaks where he just got an ally dunk or layup.. that means about 4 shots in the half court last night.. and that has been pretty common in most games.. that is a problem idc if we won

what people still fail to realize is when we play in the playoffs and teams clamp down, having jimmy sit in a corner is not going to work.. he is not going to get easy back doors or easy leak outs like when playing **** teams in the regular season

I like the idea of jimmy handling the ball as point more, but it didnt seem to result in him getting more shots

would I fire brown now at this second? no probably not, but if we have another 1st or 2nd round exit I am 100% going in a different direction

Lets wait and see how we perform in the PO then and stop with the FIRE BROOOOWWWNNN!@!@@ for now.

Sure, we're not utilizing Butler as our offensive cog, however his USG% has been on par with his career average. He's never been a guy who shot 20 times per game. Would love to see some more P&R's (with Simmons/Embiid) though.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#1199 » by Sixerscan » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:23 pm

KrazySixersD wrote:
Kolkmania wrote:

He had 15+ shot attempts in 5 of the previous 6 games, and that one he didn’t they won by 42 points. He’s taken 15.8 shots per 36 as a Sixer which is more than he ever took in Minny and just below his career high of 16.0. His 16.7 per 36 in January would be a career high.

I’m guessing if you looked at games that are either close or against good competition he averages significantly more shots than in blowouts. He clearly picks his spots to some extent, but the idea that he’s standing in the corner all game is an outdated critique to the extent it ever made sense, and that was before Brown decided to have him play point guard for a quarter of the game.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,463

Post#1200 » by youngcrev » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:35 pm

76ciology wrote:
Read on Twitter

We're just scratching the surface

Sooo... Isn't that basically just showing him as above average in the pick and roll?

I like the idea of developing the Jimmy/Joel 2 man game for down the stretch of games, but I thought the offense in general looked a bit stagnant with him running the point.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers